"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I've still got my G1 (when I can retrieve it from my daughter) I thought the G3 would be the dog's bolks but I'm not totally convinced the extra MPs have done anything good for it.
:D
I got a cheap G3 and found one terrific thing it does far better than the G1 : RAW highlight headroom. Bright skies and clouds can be pulled down into meaningful contrasty niceness where the G1 RAW would've just been blown out.
Unfortunately its buffer is tiny and slow so the RAWs can't be machine-gunned.

Having said that : G1 has far better controls and Jpeg multifilm and DynamicB&W. And grip. And kit lens.

Oh yeah : G3 has nice video ... compared.

Yes - I've noticed that highlight headroom thing. It blew me away the first time I dialed it down in Lightroom, how much detail was lurking there.

Can't comment on how this compares to any other kit mind you, since it's my first serious digital camera (previous serious camera being a 35mm Canon EOS 50e...)

The handling of my G3 is a bit iffy - mainly from inadvertent knocking of buttons. But I really like how small it is compared to the more recent replacements.

Rob

Can't comment on how this compares to any other kit mind you, since it's my first serious digital camera (previous serious camera being a 35mm Canon EOS 50e...)

I've done a lot of comparisons between my G1 and my 5D.

I don't know what the dynamic range of each is in stops but I'd imagine that my 5D has an advantage however with the G1's in view histogram it's actually easier to get a difficult lighting (DR wise) shot first time with the G1. The shadows will need to be boosted but in good light and low ISO's modern software does a good job here and I'm sure it'll get even better in the future.

So, my G1 despite having a dynamic range disadvantage against my 5D actually does ok and I'd expect cameras with a greater DR range to do even better particularly in lower light and at higher ISO settings.

I do have my gripes with the G1 the chief ones being the DR of the EVF (poor) and it's high light output which makes it (IMVHO) unusable in low light but for daylight shooting at low to medium ISO settings I prefer my G1 to my 5D, so much so that I've been selling off my FF lenses as I haven't used them for quite a while.

Thanks, that's really interesting. I turned off the histogram on my G3 as I found it distracting! Maybe it would be better for me to read up about it and learn how to use it...

Rob

Just though I'd post a quick review of the Monolta 85mm f2.

This lens is a bit long on MFT for me for general use but I wanted something for the occasional tight portrait, for long shots and possibly for use was a x2 TC and / or tubes.

Anyway... It seems to be a nice lens.

At f2 there's a little softness and some blooming which is reduced at f2.8 and gone at f4. I see f2 as being for low light and... artistic use... but f2.8 and onwards are perfectly usable without worry IMVHO and it seems to be razor sharp by f4.

Bokeh highlights are round at f2 but shaped after that and although I do like the round look the shaped look is acceptable to me too.

All in all it's a nice lens and much more compact than it's DSLR equivalents.

I probably wont use this lens a lot on MFT but I could see it being used a lot on a FF CSC.

Anyway, a few example shots, 100% crops, f2, 2.8, 4.

Last edited:
Just though I'd post a quick review of the Monolta 85mm f2.

Thanks for posting this Alan - I have been thinking for a while I'd quite like a fast 85mm legacy prime (as a sort of "poor man's" O75).

This lens was one of the ones on my list. Your review certainly sells it!

Trouble is, they seem to come up for sale pretty infrequently (so I'm not even sure what they go for). I don't want to spend a load of money, as I probably won't use it a huge amount compared to the P20 that's mostly stuck on my G3. There are a number of old fast 85s that seem to change hands for under a hundred quid (thinking Canon FD f1.8, Nikkor and Olympus f2). The Canon looks like the cheapest. I was a bit iffy as to how soft they'd be wide open (the main point of having one) but your Minolta pics look OK, and by 2.8 things are noticeably better.

Cheers

Rob

To be honest the pictures I've posted here don't really do it justice as they're via Photobucket and they never look as good as they do on my screen.

Yes, there is some blooming and CA but this is at 100% with difficult subjects to show the CA and blooming and whole images when processed to get the best result look good to me.

I went for the 85mm f2 but the f1.7 has its fans too although as I said I can't see myself using this lens a lot on a x2 crop MFT. I have used the 50mm f1.4 quite a bit.

I got my 85mm from a dealer in Thailand, they do crop up now and again.

Here's a good little list of Minolta lenses made...

http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

Thanks for the link. I'll keep a look out for one of these then.

Rob

I like the look of the G series cameras. Which would be the best value for money second hand? I know the G1 would probably be the cheapest but that does not necessarily mean its the best value for IQ etc.
Which of the current lenses would be the best choice too?
Thanks

A GX1 new is extremely good value for money now. Lenses it depends on what/where you shoot. I have the PZ14-42 which is good for midday, well lit, outside occasions. The P25 is a wonderful lens, but pricey. I understand a lot of people are very happy with the P20, quite cheaper.

A GX1 new is extremely good value for money now. Lenses it depends on what/where you shoot. I have the PZ14-42 which is good for midday, well lit, outside occasions. The P25 is a wonderful lens, but pricey. I understand a lot of people are very happy with the P20, quite cheaper.

Best bang for buck in MFT now, in my opinion, are the Sigma Art range of lenses available in 19mm, 30mm and 60mm focal lengths. They aren't pancake lenses, but the sharpness, colour and contrast is excellent on my 19mm. I've just been told that the courier has left a 60mm sized package at home so I'll be able to see if its as good as the reviews claim over the next couple of days. At £149.00, its difficult to go wrong with them.

Cheers,

Simon.

I like the look of the G series cameras. Which would be the best value for money second hand? I know the G1 would probably be the cheapest but that does not necessarily mean its the best value for IQ etc.
Which of the current lenses would be the best choice too?
Thanks

Well I got a G3 to supercede my old G1 and I'm begining to think I might sell the G3 'cos it ain't much better than the old G1 for IQ. Glad I've still got the old one. Just my POV:)

Mmmm... That's interesting, so are you saying I'd be better to get a G1 then?

I have a G1 and I could send you a few raw files at various ISO's and if someone with a G3 could send you some too you'd be able to judge for yourself.

Mmmm... That's interesting, so are you saying I'd be better to get a G1 then?

I'd have the G1 over the G3 any day. At this bottom end of the mft market the G3 in my opinion is the worst handling camera, the G1 is one of the best, difference in image quality nonexistent and I've owned both.

Please help I am finding this all confusing, why is the G1 better? What did the upgrade/downgrade do? Why should I get the G1 over the G3? Sorry but I have never had a 2/3 camera before.
Thanks

I've already said its the handling and there is no real difference in image quality. I've owned G1 GF3 G3 and G5 the G1 for me was the best value picked one up last year for £90

I've already said its the handling and there is no real difference in image quality. I've owned G1 GF3 G3 and G5 the G1 for me was the best value picked one up last year for £90

Ok thanks for your help. The G1 bodies are going for less than that now but I would prefer to buy one with a lens until I get used to which lenses will fit. There are a whole array of lenses out there and I am as yet unsure which Fit which camera. Looking forward to getting one though.

Please help I am finding this all confusing, why is the G1 better? What did the upgrade/downgrade do? Why should I get the G1 over the G3? Sorry but I have never had a 2/3 camera before. Thanks

The G1 was the original and was fully spec'd out to launch the camera. It is (or was) a midrange equivalent to a DSLR, I toyed between it and a D5000. Ergonomically and the build quality of it is great, the wheels click nicely and you don't accidentally hit buttons when you are about to take pictures etc. With low ISO's it is great but you need to shoot in RAW really. Carefully used it can perform well in all but the most demanding of stuff. Check my flickr on the link below and the great majority is shot with the G1. All my shots are taken in RAW and then tweaked a bit in lightroom, nothing more.

The G2 had a tweaked G1 sensor, the G3 had a new sensor that in fact wasn't that much better (by all accounts) it also seemed to be during panasonics phase of making things smaller, flatter and marketing hype without anything to back it up. I remember trying one out as a potential upgrade from my G1 but it was so uncomfortable to handle that I thought better of it. The G5&6 have a better sensor but are of course more expensive. If you could find a GH1 it might be an alternative but I would suggest a GX1 if you don't want a view finder?

I hope I haven't confused you even more!

The G1 was the original and was fully spec'd out to launch the camera. It is (or was) a midrange equivalent to a DSLR, I toyed between it and a D5000. Ergonomically and the build quality of it is great, the wheels click nicely and you don't accidentally hit buttons when you are about to take pictures etc. With low ISO's it is great but you need to shoot in RAW really. Carefully used it can perform well in all but the most demanding of stuff. Check my flickr on the link below and the great majority is shot with the G1. All my shots are taken in RAW and then tweaked a bit in lightroom, nothing more. The G2 had a tweaked G1 sensor, the G3 had a new sensor that in fact wasn't that much better (by all accounts) it also seemed to be during panasonics phase of making things smaller, flatter and marketing hype without anything to back it up. I remember trying one out as a potential upgrade from my G1 but it was so uncomfortable to handle that I thought better of it. The G5&6 have a better sensor but are of course more expensive. If you could find a GH1 it might be an alternative but I would suggest a GX1 if you don't want a view finder? I hope I haven't confused you even more!

Th G1 doesn't do video but the G2 onwards does if that is any help?

Th G1 doesn't do video but the G2 onwards does if that is any help?

I'm not bothered about video but I do want a viewfinder, even though it is an EVF which a lot of people tend to complain about. I want one of these cameras to use a holiday camera while abroad and having used compact cameras with just rear screen I find them all difficult to see in bright sunlight and end up just pointing the camera roughly in the direction I want to take a shot of and hope for the best, I've had enough of that now hence the purchase. I have owned numerous cameras over the last few years and I am getting fed up of having to make do. I am hoping that one of these will be just what I have been searching for.

OK, I give in. Time to ask for your help please.

I upgraded from a G1 to a G3. I find a little bit better IQ especially at higher ISO's and the chance to video is a useful bonus. Like others, the small size means I'm forever pressing the buttons on the back by mistake with my thumb, and I would prefer the adjustment wheel at the front for a finger rather than at the back for a thumb - but I guess I'll just have to learn to cope.

My problem is with the multitude of settings. I nearly always use the viewfinder and some how have set it to review the last shot until the trigger is pressed to take the next shot. Slows you down a little bit unlike with an optical finder but can be useful. Then just as I get used to this, it goes off! OK speeds up my shooting again and start to get used to reviewing on the screen, then it comes back! Damned if I can fathom out which setting is doing this. Press once for this, press twice for that, different reaction if you use the touch screen! :help:

Rolleiflex for ever :bonk:

Ok thanks for your help. The G1 bodies are going for less than that now but I would prefer to buy one with a lens until I get used to which lenses will fit. There are a whole array of lenses out there and I am as yet unsure which Fit which camera. Looking forward to getting one though.

The lenses available are one the strengths micro four thirds system. The majority of lenses will be from Panasonic and Olympus. As long as its micro four thirds you'll be fine (you can also buy an adapters for using with a whole host of other lens attachments). Depends on your budget and type of photography. I'd avoid the standard 14-42mm lens if you can, cheap plastic and very average results.

The lenses available are one the strengths micro four thirds system. The majority of lenses will be from Panasonic and Olympus. As long as its micro four thirds you'll be fine (you can also buy an adapters for using with a whole host of other lens attachments). Depends on your budget and type of photography. I'd avoid the standard 14-42mm lens if you can, cheap plastic and very average results.

Now that is interesting and something I didnt know, I assumed that I would just have to get Panasonic lenses, so if I was to buy just a body which lens would you recommend please? I believe that the G1 has a crop factor of somewhere around 2x which makes the 14-42mm something like 28-84mm in 35mm terms which is a very usable and handy focal length and I would want something along those lines if possible?

... the G3 ...
I remember trying one out as a potential upgrade from my G1 but it was so uncomfortable to handle that I thought better of it. ...
Mine didn't stay unmodified for long! :wave:

WoodenGrip01.jpg

Never needed to modify my G1 though.

I'd say buy it, and I did :D

It may be an average performer but the auto corrections are outstanding and give results which, for example, for lack of CA and distortion can't be matched by much more expensive DSLR "kit" lenses and the IS is very effective too.

I mostly use manual legacy primes but I wanted a bog standard kit lens for occasional use and although these things are FBW no marking jobbies made of plastic once stopped down a bit no one is going to be able to tell that you've taken a shot with a very humble little lens at even large print sizes and for more normal print sizes and on screen viewing it'll be even harder to tell.

IMVHO the system shines when using legacy primes and other nice lenses but there's a lot t be said for having a very cheap lens capable of good results and that what the original 14-42mm offeres.

Last edited:
Now that is interesting and something I didnt know, I assumed that I would just have to get Panasonic lenses, so if I was to buy just a body which lens would you recommend please? I believe that the G1 has a crop factor of somewhere around 2x which makes the 14-42mm something like 28-84mm in 35mm terms which is a very usable and handy focal length and I would want something along those lines if possible?

The only Panasonic lenses I have are a 14-42mm and a 20mm f1.7 and in fact for some people that's all they'd ever need.

I mostly use manual lenses via a cheap £10 adapter. Fancy a 50mm f1.7 for under £20? It's possible... although as I said an adapter will cost you another £10.

The 14-42 is OK... it's just build quality that lets it down IMHO (sticky zoom being the worst). Ms Andy has never complained though....

Personally, I'd avoid the power zooms. Far too many people have problems with blurred images at certain shutter speeds when the lens is extended.

Lots of choices with u4/3rds - great range (best outside of Canikon IMHO) that cover all price brackets and as Alan has said, great legacy lenses for £20-£30. This (not a great picture, but just for illustration - I should have focused on the other eye) was taken with a free (it was given to me when I bought another lens) Zuiko 50mm f1.8 wide open:

P1000187-800.jpg

Who said u4/3 can't do shallow depth of field... :D

For a kit lens, despite the build, I've been fairly impressed with the 14-42 and I suffer a tendency to pixel peep :)

I once tried comparing my G1 + 14-42mm to my 5D with Sigma 50mm f1.4 (it's a very good lens) and yes, the 5D + 50mm combination gave the better image when viewed at high magnification on screen but when viewed as a whole image I wonder how many people would be able to tell them apart?

When I asked someone to look at the pictures and pick the best she said, excitedly, and before I'd finished the sentence, "I want that picture!"
:D
(It was the G1+14-42mm picture, we didn't get to the 5D picture.)

The 14-45mm, the G1 kit lens is better than the 14-42mm G3 kit lens. It's a tad sharper, feels better built and has an IOS switch on it. That's why I swopped them over but to be honest you'd have a job to tell the difference. (One for pixel peepers!)
Impressed with those shots Rob.

Last edited:
Back