"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Mine didn't stay unmodified for long! :wave:

WoodenGrip01.jpg

Never needed to modify my G1 though.

OMG :eek: what have you done, that's an abomination

I think this is probably the most detailed moon picture I've ever managed. I've tried with my 70-300mm on my Canon's but I think this shades them slightly.

Taken with G1 + 135mm f3.5 + x2 TC, handheld. 100% crop.

As usual for me this is via Photobucket and I have to say it seems to have been seriously mangled and looks quite poor here. It looks better on my screen.

I'm going to try with a 200mm lens and x2 TC.

I'd say buy it, and I did :D

IMVHO the system shines when using legacy primes and other nice lenses but there's a lot t be said for having a very cheap lens capable of good results and that what the original 14-42mm offeres.

The 14-42 is OK... it's just build quality that lets it down IMHO (sticky zoom being the worst). Ms Andy has never complained though....

Has anyone found a remedy for the sticky zoom problem?

The stickiness detracts from any joy in using the lens. I am ok with the images its just that often I have to take the camera away from the eye to alter the zoom

Looking at the G5 now. It looks like panasonic have addresses the main concern over users having problems with the grip etc. only thing is, it looks like its increased in size and not much smaller than my DSLR so perhaps not as portable as I would have liked?

Looking at the G5 now. It looks like panasonic have addresses the main concern over users having problems with the grip etc. only thing is, it looks like its increased in size and not much smaller than my DSLR so perhaps not as portable as I would have liked?

Handling of the G5 is miles better than the awful G3, although still not as good as G1. I got rid of my G5 the other week though dynamic range and noise on long exposures was awful, I've been spoilt with Olympus EM5 :)

Has anyone found a remedy for the sticky zoom problem?

I got my G3 body only but I already had an Olympus 14-42 zoom from another camera so I use that when I want a zoom (I mostly use primes though so don't use it often). You can pick up an Olympus 14-42 zoom up on ebay for around £30 to £40 so that might be one fairly inexpensive solution?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Lenses-/3...old=1&_sop=15&_nkw=olympus+14+42&LH_PrefLoc=3

Make sure you get the micro four thirds version (m.zuiko) not the similarly named four thirds version though! Sometimes you will find one wrongly listed (m.zuiko listed as zuiko) and can pick up a bargain: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-Z...-5-6-14-42-mm-f-3-5-5-6-ED-Lens-/221294276294 It's smaller than the Pansonic 14-42 and has no OS but for me that's not a major issue at those focal lengths and none of the primes do either (P14mm, P20mm, Oly 45mm).

Last edited:
I want to get this right instead of jumping in with both feet like I usually do but there are so many body and lens options that I am finding it all too confusing. Do the Olympus lenses auto focus on the G series? Are olympus bodies a better option than panasonic?

I want to get this right instead of jumping in with both feet like I usually do but there are so many body and lens options that I am finding it all too confusing. Do the Olympus lenses auto focus on the G series? Are olympus bodies a better option than panasonic?

Yes native m43 lenses work fine on other m43 bodies. Best bet is for you to Google the m43 system to answer all your questions

Ok, so after reading all the discussions on here I have just bought a Lumix G1 (that everyone seems to rave about) with the 14-45mm (gets better reviews than the 14-42mm) and 45-200mm lenses.
Can't wait for it to arrive now so I can have a play.

Ok, so after reading all the discussions on here I have just bought a Lumix G1 (that everyone seems to rave about) with the 14-45mm (gets better reviews than the 14-42mm) and 45-200mm lenses.
Can't wait for it to arrive now so I can have a play.

Ha! A man of taste... :D

But you simply must buy some old manual prime lenses and a cheap adapter off ebay. The adapter will cost you £10 and you can get a 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8 and maybe a 50mm f2.8 macro. I only use these manual lenses these days.

Ha! A man of taste... :D

But you simply must buy some old manual prime lenses and a cheap adapter off ebay. The adapter will cost you £10 and you can get a 50mm f1.7, 28mm f2.8 and maybe a 50mm f2.8 macro. I only use these manual lenses these days.

I have got some Pentax manual lenses from my film day many moons ago (50mm f1.8, 50mm f2, 200mm f4, 35-70mm, 70-200mm).
I'll have to see if I can get a Pentax adapter.

I second Alan's recommendation for legacy MF lenses, btw. You don't get camera satisfaction much cheaper than the £15 Rokkor 50mm 1.7 he persuaded me to buy :D

My contribution to the M4/3-can't-do-shallow-DoF is this with a £16 Tokina MF zoom (I make no claims for the quality of the photo, but the DoF is kinda nice)

P1060902 by Arfonfab, on Flickr

On another note, though, I've been cheating on my GF1 with a Fuji x100. I'm loving it - great IQ, great looks, great OVF. Obviously, it has one massive disadvantage, and that's the fixed lens.

I fell out of love with the GF1 because I just couldn't bear shooting with it in bright conditions because I couldn't see the bloody screen. Do you reckon that selling the GF1 and replacing it with a G1 (and keeping my lenses, ofc) would solve my screen issues?I know the EVF isn't going to be the same as the OVF on the Fuji, and I also know Alan's had issues with the EVF in dark conditions, but do you reckon the G1 EVF would be fix I need for my interchangeable-lens needs?

I have got some Pentax manual lenses from my film day many moons ago (50mm f1.8, 50mm f2, 200mm f4, 35-70mm, 70-200mm).
I'll have to see if I can get a Pentax adapter.

G1 + 14-45mm, great choice(y) I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I've got a cheapo pentax adapter from ebay and use my old Pentax lenses with v good results. Using manual focus is a doddle with the focus magnification.

I fell out of love with the GF1 because I just couldn't bear shooting with it in bright conditions because I couldn't see the bloody screen. Do you reckon that selling the GF1 and replacing it with a G1 (and keeping my lenses, ofc) would solve my screen issues?I know the EVF isn't going to be the same as the OVF on the Fuji, and I also know Alan's had issues with the EVF in dark conditions, but do you reckon the G1 EVF would be fix I need for my interchangeable-lens needs?
The OVF on the X100 is a world beater and no EVF is going to come close but I've never had any probs with the EVF on my G1. It was back-up to my EPL-2 Oly, as I got pead off with havig no VF. I'll never ever buy another proper camera without one! The G1 was a very cheap 2nd hand kit but since I got it the Oly has stayed in it's box:)

It's the move I made.

I loved my GF1 but after the honeymoon period I decided that I didn't want a serious camera without a VF.

My biggest gripe with the G1 is very low light / night time shooting but other than that and for a reasonable light camera it's my reach for camera and as I've said many times at low to middling ISO's my G1 produces images that are easily lost amongst my 5D images either on screen or in print.

The higher ISO's aren't fantastic but can be used with care especially if you can avoid high ISO's + artificial lighting - which can mean hard work in the processing package of your choice.

For the price they go for... under £100? I think they're a great camera for a day out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll put my GF1 on eBay and see if I get any bites. There seem to be a few G1's on there, as low as £70

I keep an old GF1 for video : it plays straight from the card slot in my Telly, good for when the child is making videos of his spiderman or whatever.

Where are you based? My G1 doesn't get used any more so if close by you could borrow it to see if it suits your needs.

Oh, thanks for the offer! But I'm in south Wales, I'm afraid.

I've put in a request with MBP for a trade-in, see what of offer they give me. I'm thinking that if I use my x100 for normal use, and a G1 for any time I want other focal lengths, I should be golden.

Edit: MBP's offer was underwhelming, so it's on the forums for sale or swap for a G1.

Last edited:
Having another little clear out and am now left with the GX1 and the 14mm & 20mm Panasonic pancakes.

Both capable little lenses and keeps the whole package down to a manageable pocket friendly kit.

Am spending some money elsewhere on another toy in a few days, so camera gear will be kept at the minimum for the foreseeable - in all honesty I don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to and could probably do just as well with a compact.

This sounds awfully like last year when I sold all my M43 gear for a RX100 :)

Last edited:
A few photos from a walk around Aira Force at the weekend with my G6 + Sigma 19mm and 60mm f2.8 EX DN lenses.

#1 Aira Force beck in autumn colours

Aira Force Beck by srhphoto, on Flickr

#2 Detail shot of Aira Force itself

#3 Rock Pools (I discovered a hole in my welly taking this one)

#4 The upper falls

#5 Rush

Oh, I'll add one more photo of my dog Murphy relaxing and drying out after our walk.

Murphy by srhphoto, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Lovely water - looks like cotton wool (y)

Did you use an ND at all?

For all there was heavy cloud cover and I was in amongst the trees, I did use an ND4 screw on neutral density filter on these.

Cheers,

Simon.

Dancing man.

G1 + Minolta 24mm f2.8.

It's a difficult lens to use really, get it right and it's quite good but get it just a bit wrong and you'll see nastiness.

Overall, although the 24mm is regarded as being a very good lens I think that the 28mm f2.8 is actually the better lens.

I have been offered a nearly new lumix G5 with the kit lens 14-42mm, boxed with 5 months warranty remaining for £210. Is that good, average or overpriced for this camera please i.e. is it worth the asking price?

I have been offered a nearly new lumix G5 with the kit lens 14-42mm, boxed with 5 months warranty remaining for £210. Is that good, average or overpriced for this camera please i.e. is it worth the asking price?

Bargain buy it now.

I'd be wary of the claimed warranty. The Panasonic warranty is for the original purchaser only, and does not transfer to someone who buys it second hand. Having said that, it's still a good deal :)

I see they have a Minolta to MFT for $400, sorry... $399 :help: I doubt I'll pay that for one.

I'd be wary of the claimed warranty. The Panasonic warranty is for the original purchaser only, and does not transfer to someone who buys it second hand. Having said that, it's still a good deal :)

Is that right Graeme? I think that would hold true in the US but not in UK as I thought companies in EU have to honour warantees no matter what. I was under the impression that all you needed was original receipt.
That's my thought but I'll be interested to know if I'm wrong.

Back