"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Here is one of my sweetcorn that I grew this year taken with my g6 and new 45mm oly. It's a nice lens and maybe just the length I've been looking for without realising it.

I'm really liking the results from the G6. I maybe should read the manual to try out some of its features.

9728351352_f52e534e75_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've just bought these little goodies for under £30...

They are, a 70-210mm zoom, a x2 TC and a set of extention tubes. I've never used a TC or tubes before and after a quick play I can say that THEY WORK! :D

Here's my 85mm f2 fitted with all three tubes :D

I bought the zoom and TC to take a moon shot and the tubes to see if my 85mm could be used as a macro lens and to see how different the results would be to my 50mm macro.

Lots of fun for under £30 :D

I feel the need to say that the Womans Weeks isn't mine.

Last edited:
This thread is very :tumbleweed: these days so I thought I'd bump it and see if anyone is still using these cameras...

Minolta 135mm, 100%...

I didn't want to get closer as I thoght I'd frighten him so 100% from a 135mm shot was the best I could do :D

I love these old Minolta lenses :D

I think im finally going to crack and get a 45mm 1.8.

My question is, for those of you that have the lens, do you use the hood? If so does it really make a difference, how often do you use it? Does the lens suffer from issues with flare etc? just trying to work out why the hood is separate and expensive? Did I also hear that the lens doesnt come in a pouch? Or did I dream that up.

Thanks

I've got one not the Olympus original metal one but a plastic knock off one..fits perfectly and only cost less than a tenner.;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-JJC-LH-J40B-LH40B-Lens-Hood-for-Olympus-M-Zuiko-Digital-45mm-1-1-8-lens-/330940034349

You will not be disappointed with the 45mm it's sharp even at f1.8.:)

Last edited:
I like them. What sort of ND and lens did you use?

I didn't use any filtration on any of these. The first three were single frames, while #4 is a blend of 7 frames each one stop apart produced using Enfuse for Lightroom.

The lens used was my Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN. Fantastic bit of glass :)

Cheers,

Simon.

I had a play with a 20mm a few weeks ago, I really liked the lens, but I too found the af a bit too slow, I think it would be ok when you are know what you are going to photograph, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it for spontaneous pictures.

I was very pleased with the very quick focus of my 14mm pancake as this freight train came through, I had forgotten all about the time and this train was moving at some speed, my g5 and 14mm got me the pic,

92 031 through Grantham by scilly puffin, on Flickr

I had a play with a 20mm a few weeks ago, I really liked the lens, but I too found the af a bit too slow, I think it would be ok when you are know what you are going to photograph, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it for spontaneous pictures.

I was very pleased with the very quick focus of my 14mm pancake as this freight train came through, I had forgotten all about the time and this train was moving at some speed, my g5 and 14mm got me the pic,

92 031 through Grantham by scilly puffin, on Flickr

The 20mm pancake is my m43 favorite lens - you learn to work around the slow AF speed for the positives that are the focal length, fast aperture and size.

I also love the 14mm but despite focusing quicker and being physically smaller for me it is not quite as nice a focal length.

I know this picture is not in the critique section but the train looks like it is stationary - would have been nice to see some sense of speed/movement. (y)

I agree with you, I am not sure what the shutter speed was, must have been quite high. I will have to experiment with some different shutter speeds on trains.

I do find the 14mm a bit of an awkward focal length at times. Some times its just not wide enough and I really wish I had a longer focal length too. Not sure which way I would rectify it.

Last edited:
I do find the 14mm a bit of an awkward focal length at times. Some times its just not wide enough and I really wish I had a longer focal length too. Not sure which way I would rectify it.

That's one of the weaknesses of m4/3rds, the lack of cheap/budget UWA lenses.

It's just back to the olden days when 28mm was considered wide. I don't know if they were ever budget though.

After a love / hate relationship with my MFT gear I think I'll sadly be moving away from it in the future as they're just not taking the system in the direction I want to go and the frustrations with the new models are very probably the last straw for me.

Shame. I really wanted this system to work but they just seem to miss what I want with every new model :(

Every system / camera is a compromise somewhere along the line in some way, shape or other. I guess the trick is figuring out which system gives you the least amount or most acceptable set of compromises.

Simon.

To be fair it's not just MFT that I'm unhappy with it's all of the smaller systems although MFT is at the extreme for me now. The trend these days seem to be for FBW lenses which I hate and can't believe were actually designed by a photographer over 18 years old, ever higher pixel counts despite one of the big players previously stating that 12mp was enough, ever smaller pixels and ever higher base ISO's and couple those things to the problems that EVF's bring and I now find myself more restricted with my current gear and more disappointed with the new offerings than I'd ever hoped would be the case.

... they're just not taking the system in the direction I want to go and the frustrations with the new models are very probably the last straw for me.
But isn't the brand new E-M1 the very first to have a serious ability to turn down EVF brightness in dim conditions?
Surely worth a try as that's a big pain for you.

But isn't the brand new E-M1 the very first to have a serious ability to turn down EVF brightness in dim conditions?
Surely worth a try as that's a big pain for you.

I noticed that feature but no reviews seem to talk about it. I'd need to confirm that it works and that the base ISO is 100 and that it can shoot RAW at ISO 100 and that it includes ISO 100 in auto ISO but even so the lack of built in flash and the physically larger size put me off. I don't want anything bigger than my G1, I want smaller.

Moving away from both 5D and MFT is a problem at the mo as my gear isn't selling.

I love shooting with my old (ancient) legacy lenses. Just started trying some macro work. Here's a couple using a very old Tamron 80-210mm plus 21mm tube.
9997530586_b98db61928_z.jpg
[/url] P1010361sm by Farmejim, on Flickr[/IMG]

9997553744_fd630f765b_z.jpg
[/url] P1010349sm by Farmejim, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice. There is something very natural about the colour of legacy. Handheld or tripod?

Thank-you. They were shot hand-held, haven't got exif info to hand (on lappy) but think it was around 1/250th. No time for a tripod they're too unpredictable.:)

G6 and 45mm 1.8

the wife was having a really bad hair day.

10027439095_423f1c79ae_c.jpg

g6 and 20mm

9419352824_6c0086f7af_c.jpg

g6 20mm

9419370450_254972615d_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm new to TP as of today, really.

And I've been a very pleased G3 user for the last year or so, so I thought I'd drop by this thread and say "hello".

Here's a photo with my all time favourite lens, the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic:

malmaison-1 by wi-fli, on Flickr

This is an old prison that's been converted to a luxury hotel. So you can pretend you're in "Porridge" (or "Escape from Alcatraz", or whatever...)

Cheers,

Rob

Hi everyone. I'm new to TP as of today, really.

And I've been a very pleased G3 user for the last year or so, so I thought I'd drop by this thread and say "hello".

Cheers,

Rob

nice shot rob. looks like a cool hotel. where is it?

nice shot rob. looks like a cool hotel. where is it?

Hi, thanks.

The hotel is in the middle of Oxford (the Malmaison)

Rob

Hi Rob, and welcome. I'm new here as well. Nice shot. I hope the guests don't get woken at 05.30 by Mr Mackay telling them to slop out!

Talking of legacy lenses, I put my old (v old!) 38mm, 1.8 Pen-F lens on the G3 yesterday for a shot of my old Jack Russel, Maggie.

This is the JPEG, straight out of the camera with no sharpening and in camera sharpening and contrast set at standard.

10051404945_80af204bdc_z.jpg
[/url] Maggie_sm by Farmejim, on Flickr[/IMG]

The only downside with this lens is the adapter which is well made but didn't originally fit the lens. I had to machine it to accept the lens but it doesn't lock so I'm wary of walking around with it!

I have an ad in the Wanted if anyone is selling a G3

I can't see me selling mine anytime soon, but I sure can strongly recommend them!

;)

Rob

G3? Bah-Humbug! New fangled thing!

What you want is a G1!
:D

my G6 feels really cheap and plasticy in comparison to my G1 which i can't bring myself to get rid of. surely it doesn't cost that much more to make a camera feel really good in the hand and like it is a serious camera does it?

I've still got my G1 (when I can retrieve it from my daughter) I thought the G3 would be the dog's bolks but I'm not totally convinced the extra MPs have done anything good for it.

Back