"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Theres a used G2 and 14-42 lens in the classifieds here for £250. I don't think you will get a better used deal. New, they are another £100 or so.

Pointy enough?

Allan

Theres a used G2 and 14-42 lens in the classifieds here for £250. I don't think you will get a better used deal. New, they are another £100 or so.

Pointy enough?

Allan

Intel86 does not have access to classifieds yet Alan, which is why I asked what was meant by "pointers".

The LR3 deal is ONLY at Mathers. Panasonic keep doing an offer with it where you have to send off but it's not on at the mo. Mathers have physical copies that they send in the post with your camera. Panasonic rebate offers will take several weeks/months.

I see - they give it on just G3 and GF3. The GX1 offer is from Panasonic and running until the end of the year though.

You're right, you need to submit a claim by mail and takes about 2 months to get it. I suspect Lightroom 4 will be close to release by the time you get it in that case!

I think I might wait for Mathers to list the GX1 and see if I can get Lightroom from them rather than Panasonic, that's if I decide the EVF isn't needed and sell the G3 to help fund a GX1.

Intel86 does not have access to classifieds yet Alan, which is why I asked what was meant by "pointers".

Ah, classified rules have changed since I last looked, it used to be 25 posts but now I see it is 100. I thought the term "pointers" was asking to point out deals thats why I mentioned the classifieds section. Intel86, may I just point now to www.Mifsuds.co.uk who have a used G2 with kit lens for £279?

I also looked at the two offers from Jessops and Park Cameras. I agree, the one from Park is the better deal.
Jessops, = Pay £349 then you get £40 cash back from Panasonic.
Park Cameras = Pay £349 then get £50 cash back from Panasonic and a free copy of Lightroom 3 ( worth £100+)

One thing that bugs me about Jessops is that they advertise the price including the cash back offer. So, they price the camera at £309 and in small print state that this is after the cash back offer. I think this is very misleading, They are not offering the cash back so why should they misrepresent the price? :shrug:

Allan

Ah, classified rules have changed since I last looked, it used to be 25 posts but now I see it is 100. I thought the term "pointers" was asking to point out deals thats why I mentioned the classifieds section. Intel86, may I just point now to www.Mifsuds.co.uk who have a used G2 with kit lens for £279?

I also looked at the two offers from Jessops and Park Cameras. I agree, the one from Park is the better deal.
Jessops, = Pay £349 then you get £40 cash back from Panasonic.
Park Cameras = Pay £349 then get £50 cash back from Panasonic and a free copy of Lightroom 3 ( worth £100+)

One thing that bugs me about Jessops is that they advertise the price including the cash back offer. So, they price the camera at £309 and in small print state that this is after the cash back offer. I think this is very misleading, They are not offering the cash back so why should they misrepresent the price? :shrug:

Allan

The Park cameras deal finished in October. Thats what it says below in the information.

"CLAIM YOUR £50 CASHBACK AND
FREE PHOTOGRAPHY GIFT PACK WORTH OVER £230.00*

When you purchase a Lumix G digital camera & additional Lumix G lens together between 8th September 2011 and 31st October 2011.
Your gift pack includes a free copy of Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 3 editing software which will be delivered to your home address upon redemption.
* Terms & Conditions Apply. See terms and conditions"

Am i not right?

Last edited:
A quick one with G3 and 100-300mm

Too cold to set up tripod etc so leaned against my house wall to steady the camera.....

A few from today. It rained, it hailed and although the sun shined it was windy and very cold.

c1040053.jpg

c1040055.jpg

c1040006.jpg

c1040004.jpg

c1030995.jpg

c1030979.jpg

Anyone picked up any of the X series of lenses yet, the 14-42 or 45-175? I've been reading about them and noted lots of complaints about the OIS system. It's a shame because other than that the 45-175 look quite appealing, especially as Panasonic are giving £65 cash back on it until the end of Dec.

I've been tempted to pick one up as I might then use a zoom on my GF2 (I have the 14, 20 and 14-42 and the zoom has only been used to take 3 photos!) but in the end I resisted when I heard about the fast zooms being worked on... A constant f2.5 zoom would be sweeeeeeet :)

Oh you have both primes as well as the zoom? I have the 14-42 kit zoom and just the 20mm prime. Wasn't sure it was worth getting the 14mm prime as well, as read the 20mm is sharper, so didn't think I'd ever put it on just for the wider FOV..

I might hold off buying the 45-175mm. The 35-100 and 12-35 look interesting, could be an option if they sort the OIS problems. I'm half tempted to pick up the Olympus 40-150 and just forget about IS all together... shame as the 45-175 looks like it delivers nice IQ.

I got the 14 as part of a kit that included the zoom. Shame it's not as fast as the 20 :(

I snapped this shot of a church with my G1+25mm the other day.

_1040107c.jpg

See the little security alarm box towards the RHS of the shot?

This is the centre portion of a 100% crop.

_1040107c1.jpg

This is the centre portion of a 300% crop.

_1040107c2.jpg

These will not look as good here as on my screen as they're via photobucket and I haven't optimised them in any way for all this mangling. Sharpening was at default (whatever that is) in CS5 RAW. All I can say is that on my screen I can easily read "Crows Security."

I think this is amazing for a camera that cost me £100 and change, although the lens was more. It's a manual lens and I was focusing on the church at about the centre of the image so the security box wasn't even the point of focus. I'm often impressed with this camera and lens.

Last edited:
I have acquired a Tokina ATX400 SD lens, I am considering mating it up to a Panasonic GF1 and possibly the G1 when I get it back converted to infra red, trouble is I know nowt about Nikon lenses so do not know exactly which adaptor I need. I presume I will lose autofocus but would it still meter in the camera?

Lastly do you think this would be a good idea in any case:shrug:

Last edited:
So wondered if any owners could help with the bag which needs to be as small and lightweight as possible as I have mobility problems. Will need only to get camera and kit lens in with spare SD cards and battery. No other lens as totally skint now!!

Next what spare battery without being ripped off with another original.

Also any tips on the basic settings as there are quite a few?

I had posted on the talk equipment section, some days ago, but no replies yet.

So wondered if any owners could help with the bag which needs to be as small and lightweight as possible as I have mobility problems. Will need only to get camera and kit lens in with spare SD cards and battery. No other lens as totally skint now!!

Next what spare battery without being ripped off with another original.

Also any tips on the basic settings as there are quite a few?

I had posted on the talk equipment section, some days ago, but no replies yet.

Lowepro Nova 160 AW

Doesn't the G3 have installed software to prevent the use of third party batteries?

Pass:D

Lowepro Nova 160 AW

Doesn't the G3 have installed software to prevent the use of third party batteries?

Pass:D

Thanks for link.

Yes I think there is some software but have read of batteries and will have to find the link. Not keen on paying the price for an orginal.

Thanks for link.

Yes I think there is some software but have read of batteries and will have to find the link. Not keen on paying the price for an orginal.

:thinking:I never posted a link to ebay the forum software must have done that.

That bags fits my recently acquired G1 with a 14-45 attached and room for the 45-200 and the 20mm, far better allow a bit extra room for additional lenses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Nova-160-AW-Panasonic/dp/B0016J7VD8

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-160-AW,2103,20.htm

Another G3 buyer here - early Christmas pres. Query - salesman thought that i should have a Class 10 card as it would write very quickly. These look expensive and as i am not too bothered about the video option would a Class 4 card do well enough for stills?

As far as I know if it is just for stills any card that fits will do but I stand to be corrected.

I have acquired a Tokina ATX400 SD lens, I am considering mating it up to a Panasonic GF1 and possibly the G1 when I get it back converted to infra red, trouble is I know nowt about Nikon lenses so do not know exactly which adaptor I need. I presume I will lose autofocus but would it still meter in the camera?

Lastly do you think this would be a good idea in any case:shrug:
I'm an utter noob at this "lenses that shouldn't go on other manufacturers bodies" type thing, but I've got a Kiwifotos converter off Amazon to let me mount my Nikon "G" lenses on my GF2... And yes, metering works just fine, and yep, it's bye-bye autofocus.

The G version of the adaptor allows one to (sort of!) set the aperture using a wierd on/off ring on the adaptor, but for the money it does what I expected. There's a non-G version of the Kiwifotos where you'd be able to set the aperture properly on the lens, might be worth a bash for eighteen quid? :shrug:

Here's a monstrously quick 'n dirty sample of my 35mm f1.8 Nikkor mounted on my GF2, with the aperture stopped down one "click" (guess it was around f2.8), ambient light, focus too close for what I was trying to achieve, should have focused on more of the tinsel etc etc :bonk:

Would love to see what your Tokina can do with the likes of moon shots :)

P1010075_Large_.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers Ron, trouble is I am struggling finding out what mount it is F, G, or whatever before I buy an adaptor.

Edit ..sussed it(y)

Last edited:
Galaxy66 said:
Cheers Ron, trouble is I am struggling finding out what mount it is F, G, or whatever before I buy an adaptor.

Edit ..sussed it(y)
Glad you've sorted it, I should have been clearer... pretty much every nikon lens ever is an F mount, the G refers to an F mount lens with no aperture ring... The tokina you mention looks like a D lens to me, as it will transmit distance info to camera and has an aperture ring... But still an F mount! :)

Basically D = aperture ring, G = no aperture ring. After that I'm lost heheh! Also worth checking out fotodiox adaptors, they're meant to be a cut above the kiwifotos, if you know what you're doing. Which I don't ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for link.

From other owner's forums I've never heard of third party batteries not working at all, the problem is that they can't read the charge remaining in some of them -- or they read it incorrectly. Some batteries also won't charge using the OEM charger. I bought one from Germany for 17 euros delivered, charges and works as the OEM one. Subtel.de is their website.

Glad you've sorted it, I should have been clearer... pretty much every nikon lens ever is an F mount, the G refers to an F mount lens with no aperture ring... The tokina you mention looks like a D lens to me, as it will transmit distance info to camera and has an aperture ring... But still an F mount! :)

Basically D = aperture ring, G = no aperture ring. After that I'm lost heheh! Also worth checking out fotodiox adaptors, they're meant to be a cut above the kiwifotos, if you know what you're doing. Which I don't ;)

I've also got a kiwifotos adaptor. It was about £20 from play.com. It's for an old Canon 50mm 1.8 lens and works fine. I shoot in A, but with the aperture wide open the depth of field is so shallow that it can make it hard to focus! I'm quite tempted to get the Olympus 45mm 1.8 now though, as I'm surprised how much I use the focal length and having the added sharpness and AF of the Olympus, as well as the lighter weight, is more appealing.

I took this shot with it on the weekend, it's still pretty sharp if you get the focus right. The old lenses seem to have a nice glow to them too.

6495573265_a6f0d4752e_b.jpg

Last edited:
From other owner's forums I've never heard of third party batteries not working at all, the problem is that they can't read the charge remaining in some of them -- or they read it incorrectly. Some batteries also won't charge using the OEM charger. I bought one from Germany for 17 euros delivered, charges and works as the OEM one. Subtel.de is their website.

Thanks for that and for name of supplier. My usual suppliers don't seem to be up to date and have G3 batteries.

Anyone using an aftermarket batt in their GF2? Any joy with battery level indicator? Panny prices are still a bit too eye watering...

I just cannot decide what camera to buy. I would like to hear from people that have bought one of the GF series panasonic cameras as to why they chose it over an Olympus Pen series? For me if I were to buy a compact m43 body without an EVF, then I would be looking at Olympus purely because it offers in body stabilisation. I have been considering a G3 or GH2 but I really really want to buy something compact, but I want a built in EVF as I'm not sure about the add on ones. I think they look and feel a bit out of place, but then atleast you have the option of using it. Hmm. Cost a lot extra too. Difficult one.

Only reason I would want GH2 is 24p video really which is a big premium to pay and I am not sure how much "pro" attempted video stuff I would do.

Thoughts and advice anyone?

When I bought my GF1+20mm f1.7 the reviewers said that Panny had the edge over Oly with quicker operation and focus. I don't know if later Oly models became more responsive and have now closed the gap.

My niece bought the Pen and external VF and got a free flash with it. It does look like a nice camera and I like the idea and indeed the look of the camera when fitted with the VF but I don't think I'd like to snap the thing off getting it in/out of my pocket and taking it on and off all the time would annoy me in about 30 seconds.

A GF1+20mm f1.7 with a VF would be just about perfect for me 90% of the time though.

Last edited:
I went for Panny over Oly for handling reasons. The implementation of aperture and EC controls on the Pens was shockingly bad - except for the EP3, which did have a proper wheel, but was far too expensive.
Whilst IBIS would be nice, I couldn't justify the cost. The 20/1.7 is fast enough that I don't really miss IS. The 14/2.5 struggles a bit in low light, but that's mainly due to laziness (using auto ISO and not bothering to switch to shutter priority) and poor holding technique on my part.
The zooms all have in-lens IS, which I understand is better for longer focal lengths anyway.
Really looking forward to the fast zoom - if the 12-30 is a constant f2.5, it'll replace both my 14-42 and 14 prime.

There are a lot of reported problems with the in body IS on the Olympus cameras, I believe all but the E-P3s have problems reported at the moment. I prefer the Panasonic user interface, all Panasonics have metal frames and the GF series has metal body parts, plus the GFs and GX are made in Japan (not sure that makes much difference). I really bought the G3 as it had a built in EVF and had the latest 16MP sensor that had lower noise at higher ISO.

The Pens are considered to have better JPEG output and the E-P3 with an MSC lens has AF that's faster than a typical DSLR. I think the E-P3 is more responsive than my G3. I'd be hard pressed to pick between an E-P3 and GX1 if I were to buy one now as don't think I really need an EVF. I'd probably go with the later because of the improved sensor and more solid frame but I'd also probably wait and see if Olympus announce a new body early next year.

clicktor said:
I just cannot decide what camera to buy. I would like to hear from people that have bought one of the GF series panasonic cameras as to why they chose it over an Olympus Pen series? For me if I were to buy a compact m43 body without an EVF, then I would be looking at Olympus purely because it offers in body stabilisation. I have been considering a G3 or GH2 but I really really want to buy something compact, but I want a built in EVF as I'm not sure about the add on ones. I think they look and feel a bit out of place, but then atleast you have the option of using it. Hmm. Cost a lot extra too. Difficult one.

Only reason I would want GH2 is 24p video really which is a big premium to pay and I am not sure how much "pro" attempted video stuff I would do.

Thoughts and advice anyone?
Bought a PEN EP1 when they were just out, hated it. Great images, genuinely so, but the user interface, handling and controls were awful. That and the sheer size of the body were enough to make me sell it on a week later.

Fast forward to three months ago, took a random chance on a gf2 with 14mm pancake due to cheapness. Love it. The lack of IS doesn't factor with short, fast lenses, and as someone said, the zooms have it built in. I'm now thinking about selling on my small DSLR as it's just not getting used. Panny have opened my eyes in a way olly just didn't: )

Bought a PEN EP1 when they were just out, hated it. Great images, genuinely so, but the user interface, handling and controls were awful. That and the sheer size of the body were enough to make me sell it on a week later.

Fast forward to three months ago, took a random chance on a gf2 with 14mm pancake due to cheapness. Love it. The lack of IS doesn't factor with short, fast lenses, and as someone said, the zooms have it built in. I'm now thinking about selling on my small DSLR as it's just not getting used. Panny have opened my eyes in a way olly just didn't: )

Thanks for that Ronnus, how do you find not having an EVF though? I think I have decided on pretty much either a GF, G or GH. I want the GH2 but hearing that a GH3 might be out soon in the new year so might be worth waiting.

Back