"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Sod the noise the pictures are just great.:D

Indeed.

I shot some fabrics recently with my G1+25mm f0.95 and the print looked lovely and the person they were for was very pleased.

Prints can look a lot less noisy than on screen shots viewed at 100% :D

I had the opportunity to photograph an hour long kart race today at Teesside Autodrome. Karts are challenging at the best of times never mind with new and unfamiliar gear. However the lack of light and mist hanging in the air made it even more difficult - I never dipped below ISO1000 during the race. Anyway, on to some photos: -

SDMC_Nov2011_004 by srhphoto, on Flickr

SDMC_Nov2011_019 by srhphoto, on Flickr

SDMC_Nov2011_013 by srhphoto, on Flickr

SDMC_Nov2011_005 by srhphoto, on Flickr

No noise reduction on these apart from the default settings in my raw convertor. Very impressive. So, the GH2 is capable of this type of photography, even in challenging conditions. It is hard work though as I've said before, and there are much better tools out there if you're doing this sort of thing regularly.

Cheers,

Simon.

Great pics SRHMoto - the G series really are quite capable little things.

Does anyone have any idea of a case for the GF3? Been into PCWorld tonight and couldn't find anything to fit. They were either huge or too small. I want something small and light so I can still put it in a pocket.

A neoprene sleeve or something would do. Not bothered about drop protection.

We have another convert to the G system. I have had my G2 for a while and my Dad has been researching cameras since he had a wad of cash burning a hole in his pocket ( about 3 months!)
I got a phone call from him this evening, his new G2 with 14-42 and 45-200 lenses arrived this afternoon after playing with mine at the weekend.
Now, bearing in mind he sends back almost every camera he buys (apart from his new Nikon P7100) since he sold his Leica IIIc and lenses, it looks like this one is going to be a keeper! (y)

Allan

I've really loved the creativity I got from my G3 at the weekend. Went to Dungeness, spent the day shooting with my 5D2 until my batteries ran out. On the way back stopped off at Hastings, thought it was way too dark, but ran around the beach with my G3 on the gorillapod and loved the creative images I got from 7 bracketed HDRs (see my most recent shots on Flickr).

I have read the G series are especially good for conversion to infra red, I have a GF1 but the G1 with the swivel screen and inbuilt viewfinder will be really useful for me.

Galaxy66 said:
I have read the G series are especially good for conversion to infra red, I have a GF1 but the G1 with the swivel screen and inbuilt viewfinder will be really useful for me.

Ooooo I've been after buying a cheap body to converted into infrared, great idea.

Last edited:
Dave in Wales said:
how is a camera 'converted into infrared' pray tell.

d in w
I believe it's done by removing the low pass filter from the sensor, which filters out the IR wavelength. I'm assuming it isn't a cheap or simple job given the insanely high prices of old DSLRs that have been converted!

IR conversion costs about £250-£300 depending on the body.

But you can buy the replacement high-pass filter for about £80 and do the conversion yourself if you're brave!

Zoidberg who posts on here does IR stuff with his GF1, I think just using one of those filters.

This was taken with a GF1 fitted with a 720nm filter on the 14-45 lens

ir.jpg

5 Year Extended Panasonic Warranty on G3

Received it by email this morning(y)...........now surely this could have been sent when I first sent in the application for the free LR3 and Extended warranty:thumbsdown:.

Zoidberg who posts on here does IR stuff with his GF1, I think just using one of those filters.

Yep, i just used a 720nm filter. The GF1's sensor is great for IR. If you use a makeshift hood with the camera on a tripod, you can see the IR effect on the screen clearly.
Alas the GF1 has gone, im back shooting with a Fuji S5. Havent tried it for IR yet. Dont know how the Foven sensor copes with IR.
I'd imagine a true IR converted GF1 would be great fun. Once the GF1 body drops to around £120 i may get one & look at an IR conversion.

5 Year Extended Panasonic Warranty on G3

Received it by email this morning(y)...........now surely this could have been sent when I first sent in the application for the free LR3 and Extended warranty:thumbsdown:.
I'm still waiting for it (2 months and a half now):shrug:

Have you received your LR3 yet (received mine last week)

If not ring them up

Great pics SRHMoto - the G series really are quite capable little things.

Does anyone have any idea of a case for the GF3? Been into PCWorld tonight and couldn't find anything to fit. They were either huge or too small. I want something small and light so I can still put it in a pocket.

A neoprene sleeve or something would do. Not bothered about drop protection.

Optech Pro do one. Expensive for what it is though. I made my own to a similar design using a neoprene knee support for Poundland.

Ended up buying two cases from Currys. :LOL:

1. Logik camcorder case which is small and has room for the camera and spare lens. £6.99

2. Currys 2.5" hard drive neoprene sleeve. Fits the camera perfectly. £4.99

I had play with the new GX1 in Jacobs, Oxford street yesterday.

It seemed really nice, a bit smaller than I thought it would be, (which is good) it was very responsive (compared to my G2), the grip was nice and it was comfortable to handle.

I wish the IA button had been a function button instead, as this is aimed more for enthusiasts than beginners.

I was a little bit disappointed with the build quality, it was good (much better than my plasticky G2), but bit not have the quality feel that I had hoped, the mode dial looked a bit tacky, I think it would have looked better if the buttons were black instead of slivery.

They did not have the EVF, so sadly I could not see what that was like.

I wish they had managed to put a swivel screen (or even a tilt screen) on it, as that, with the EVF would have made it an ideal camera (for me)

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a GH2, or playing the waiting game and holding out for a GH3.

Finally got my warranty by e-mail today. Phew that was fast (3 months)! (y)

Well they did have to click on a key to send it, now that is difficult and they really do need :help:

Last edited:
fidsey79 said:
Well have bought my Nikon D7000 but have decided to hold on to my G1 (even though I have sold all of my lenses :bonk:) Have a sneaky suspicion that I will be back with it full time by the end of the year!
I was very tempted to take your G1 off your hands after your latest price drop! Had it had a built in intervalometer (got a hankering for some timelapse) I'd have had it :)

I'll be buying a D7K in the new year as long as the shortage doesn't last too long, not been looking recently but the prediction was that due to the Thai floods the existing stock would dry up (forgive the pun...) causing used prices to shoot up. Might be a good time to sell if you weren't using it!

fidsey79 said:
I knew you were a cheeky one Ron!! x
;) Nah I'll be after a new one I reckon, when I'm spending the best part of a grand on a body I need a warranty... Paranoid :)

Looking on camerapricebuster the D7K is indeed creeping up a little so I'll just have to console myself with my GF2 and your 45-200 till Nikon can make some more!

Just got back from Berlin where I took the GF1, 14mm pancake, 20mm pancake, Canon FD 50mm 1.4, 14-45, and 45-200. Carried it around all day without it bothering me at all, where the SLR and lenses would have really weighed me down.

I'll post up some pics shortly when I get them sorted.

I have just found the Panasonic Flickr site. It shows all of the beautiful photographers taken by professionals using the Panasonic range. Truly inspirational!

Which page is that - do you have a link? There's quite a few Panasonic G series groups but is this an official one?

just in case anyone is contemplating a new pancake 20mm or 14mm lens, Park Cameras have a sale on with these two in which ends at 4pm today. no idea if prices are good and can't link as on phone and busy,but Park are usually competitively prices anyway, its where I got my panny from originally. hope that helps someone :)

Janice said:
just in case anyone is contemplating a new pancake 20mm or 14mm lens, Park Cameras have a sale on with these two in which ends at 4pm today. no idea if prices are good and can't link as on phone and busy,but Park are usually competitively prices anyway, its where I got my panny from originally. hope that helps someone :)
I just got slightly excited, but looking on their site the 20mm is showing as £270, which isn't cheap. Maybe sale doesn't start till later?

Also they're after £270 for it unboxed, which is very odd!

Last edited:
Hi Janice, just been on their website and couldn't find any mention of the one day sale, is it only available in store maybe, at the moment the 20mm is still advertised at £269

Back