"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Thanks, was looking for something that just wraps around the camera like those you find on ebay and just thought if anyone has/had any experience of those (i.e. whether they are worth the tenner they are being sold for?)

Something like this?

Perhaps 'wraps around' was not the best description, but was basically looking at a non-bag-like case if that makes sense.

OK. Thanks.
So it's not as quick as a DSLR, but quicker than a compact? Is it really noticeable?
Not had chance to get my hands on one yet.

Is that a wrist strap you have on the camera there Alan??

OK. Thanks.
So it's not as quick as a DSLR, but quicker than a compact? Is it really noticeable?

You're probably familiar with DigitalRev but if not they review a lot of mirrorless cameras from a DSLR perspective. Take a look at their video reviews of the GX1, E-P3 or GF2 for some real world examples of their use if you can't test one out in a store easily. It's all a compromise with them, you lose a lot of weight but obviously things aren't as fast as a DSLR so if you shoot a lot of high speed action or low light they're not highly recommended.

http://www.digitalrev.com/article_category/digitalrev-tv/Mg_A_A

Last edited:
OK. Thanks.

When you are looking at the back display or through the EVF you are not seeing life as it happens, there is a very slight delay, but unless you are shooting very fast action it isn't an issue IMVHO.

Actual focus and metering and shutter lag will depend upon your body and lens combination but is well up to DSLR standards IMO, in fact the fastest focusing changeable lens camera and lens combination is not a DSLR but is mirrorless these days (the record was recently taken off Panasonic by Olympus - I think - or maybe it was the other way around but no matter.)

It's all a compromise with them, you lose a lot of weight but obviously things are as fast as a DSLR so if you shoot a lot of high speed action or low light not recommended.

Probably should read not ;)

You can't expect one camera to do everything, not even the best DSLR can be all things to everyone.
If you want small size, high image quality, the convenience of different lenses and portability at a reasonable price, there's nothing to beat m4/3.
A lot of people are happy with this and have sold their dslr equipment, whether you can do this is up to you.
I kept my D300 for months after buying into M4/3 and sold it when I found I didsnt use it anymore.

Allan

... you lose a lot of weight but obviously things are as fast as a DSLR so if you shoot a lot of high speed action or low light not recommended.

http://www.digitalrev.com/article_category/digitalrev-tv/Mg_A_A

With my G1+f0.95 lens I can shoot in lower light at lower ISO than I can with my 5D and f1.4 and with the additional gain through the EFV I can actually see more than I can with an OVF so in darkness the G camera actually beats the DSLR as f0.95 lenses for DSLR's a are bit few and far between :D

Just joined the club!

Got a GF1 and 20mm f/1.7. Got the 14-45 on the way too.

First impressions...

Wow. Amazing! I struggle to get usable shots in my front room with my D700 and 24-70mm at f/2.8. I also struggle with the 85mm f/1.4.

This thing though, seems a lot easier. maybe its the weight, Im not shaking as much, dunno, but im mor than happy with the results at ISO 1600. Its cleans up nice in LR. There is still noise thre, but its not ugly noise.

First few shots. RAW files, just tweaked contrast and sharpness, with some NR.

P1050369 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

P1050373 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

P1050385 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

P1050397 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

You are getting some great shots from your GF1 Tom. I am really interested in the 20mm lens but can't decide if I should trade my 14mm for one or just get a 20mm as well.

What you mention about finding it easier to get shots with the G-series is the same as what I realised the other day. I hadn't really been aware of it until doing the test shots I posted the other day but trying to get the same shot with the GF2 and 1DmkIV was easier with the GF2. It has more noise but is sharper because there is no camera shake blurriness.

PS - Glad to see someone else who has a real christmas tree lol.

Do you miss the viewfinder Tom?

At the moment, not so much, although I do keep instinctively putting the camera to my eye.

My 14-45 just turned up too, how about that for service. Ordered it from ebay on the 21st at about 4pm. I couldnt believe it was the lens as I was unwrapping it, my sensor Loupe is actually bigger. Its tiny!

The focus on both seems good so far, pretty snappy, although obviously slow compared to my D700. I think for what Im going to use it for, its fine though.

Loving the DOF on the the 20mm. :love:

With my G1+f0.95 lens I can shoot in lower light at lower ISO than I can with my 5D and f1.4 and with the additional gain through the EFV I can actually see more than I can with an OVF so in darkness the G camera actually beats the DSLR as f0.95 lenses for DSLR's a are bit few and far between :D

That's interesting. I always thought a 5D had a few stop advantage so you could shoot at ISO 400 with the 5D but need to crank the µ4/3 camera up to ISO 1600 or so to get the same exposure, obviously also increasing the noise.

Perhaps the only real advantage of the 5D is when shooting high speed action then?

Olympus is meant to announce a new camera body early next year with some sort of new technology.

It'll be interesting to see whether these cameras take over the entry-mid DSLR market for enthusiast photographers..? From what I've read this seems to be the pattern in Japan, but not in Europe and the US yet.

At the moment, not so much, although I do keep instinctively putting the camera to my eye.

My 14-45 just turned up too, how about that for service. Ordered it from ebay on the 21st at about 4pm. I couldnt believe it was the lens as I was unwrapping it, my sensor Loupe is actually bigger. Its tiny!

The focus on both seems good so far, pretty snappy, although obviously slow compared to my D700. I think for what Im going to use it for, its fine though.

Loving the DOF on the the 20mm. :love:

I ordered a 14mm pancake lens off ebay on Tuesday night which just arrived this morning too. I'm going to take it with me to Madrid for xmas paired with the 20mm, really light package for 2 primes. I'll probably buy the 45mm 1.8 over there as found it for a bit cheaper than in the UK.

I was tempted by the 14-45, apparently it's meant to be really sharp, but settled on the 14 and 45 prime to gain the speed advantage. Though I also lose OIS.. :bonk:

That's interesting. I always thought a 5D had a few stop advantage so you could shoot at ISO 400 with the 5D but need to crank the µ4/3 camera up to ISO 1600 or so to get the same exposure, obviously also increasing the noise.

No, exposure is exposure and MFT, APS-C or FF should give the same at the same aperture. 5D has less noise at the same ISO but MFT is acceptable IMVHO after a little NR and with a f0.95 lens I can shoot in very low light indeed.

Think Im in love!

Lumix GF-1 with 20mm f/1.7 lens
Exposure 0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture f/1.7
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Sebbe by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

Camera Panasonic DMC-GF1
Exposure 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture f/1.7
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Mirror by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

Thanks! On the floor, but I'm clicking. He moves too much for self timer!

The G3 / GX1 will be better though these pictures show what a capable person can do with what seems to me the maker of the m4/3 format... The GF1+20mm 1.7 pancake

I suppose it depends what's meant by "better."

The newer cameras have a higher mp count and a couple more or less features or controls and we could all argue to death about mp count v noise but looking at exemple images on line and at the many review sites other than arguing about noise performance I see precious little difference in actual image quality. One of the depressing things about digital protography is (IMVHO) that image quality seems to move forward at a snails pace, if it moves forward at all.

I suppose things look a little brighter (haha) for JPEG shooters as in camera processings seems to have got better but for RAW shooters the improvements are maybe no where near as great.

Santa made sure my infra red converted G1 arrived back in time from Advanced Camera Services, now just need some bright sunny weather to take full advantage of it and will post up results here:)

GX1.....can anyone help me how I activate the magnification on screen when using AF pinpoint,It works when I move the lens ring slightly but on my G3 it was automatic using AF

NOW SORTED.......:).

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone.
I have asked Santa for a GX1, a 100-300mm and a 20mm lens, but I'm reliable informed I can't afford them at the moment :crying:

Never mind, I suppose it will be socks again.

Hope everyone has a good day, batteries are on charge as I type.............

Allan

Been using the Lumix all day. Very pleased, but this has to be the shot of the day, very much fired from the hip.
Just as we were taking the turkey out of the oven!

Please feed me by TCR4x4, on Flickr

Seems lots of us Lumix G owners have tricolour Cavaliers!

Janice said:
Seems lots of us Lumix G owners have tricolour Cavaliers!

He's not mine thank god! Just dog sitting for the parents in law

I am seriously thinking of getting a Panasonic myself now! Not sure i could live without the viewfinder though so would have to be one with a viewfinder. Then again, maybe i could give it a try!

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking of getting a Panasonic myself now! Not sure i could live without the viewfinder though so would have a be one with a viewfinder. Then again, maybe i could give it a try!

G3! Its superb!

Best place to pick up a G series camera in the sales? Can't see any reduced anywhere yet. And if they are "reduced" they are not even reduced to below the amazon price.

Can anyone recommend a good lens setup for the GF2? I currently have the standard 14-42mm but am looking to upgrade.

theceej said:
Can anyone recommend a good lens setup for the GF2? I currently have the standard 14-42mm but am looking to upgrade.
Depends what you want to shoot, and whether or not you can live with primes!

The 14mm and 20mm primes are great, the 14 is cheaper, but slower and wider, some think too wide but I like it.

For faraway things the 45-200 is decent enough and fairly cheap, the 100-300 looks lovely but is quite pricey. For do it all I believe there's a 14-140mm lens but I know nowt about it.

FWIW it started with the 14mm then bought the 14-42 and 45-200, in retrospect I wish I'd just got the 20mm prime. The 45-200 gets far more use than the 14-42, but neither see anything like the use I get from my 14mm :)

I've got the 14mm and 20mm pancakes for my G3 and find them a great travel combination. I prefer the 20mm as it's sharper and faster but it's slower to focus and noisy (so not great for video work). The 14mm distorts slightly with it's FOV but generally use it as the default carry around as it's so small and only 50g. I've also ordered the Olympus 45mm 1.8. This will be my standard 3 lens prime kit. I like small primes for travelling though.

The 25mm Panasonic has a good reputation, quite a bit larger and more expensive though. The 45-200 gets good reviews for a telephoto. There's also a nice fisheye by Samyang/Rokinon, at 7.5mm.

Or - if you want to stick to one lens I'd look at either the 14-45 (older version but sharper and with a metal mount), or, yes, the 14-140 for a one lens does everything -- it's not as sharp or fast, it's also quite heavy and expensive.

I still think it defeats the size advantage of the GF2 to add a large, heavy lens. I also think fast lens take advantage of the larger sensor (compared to a compact) so I'd recommend taking a look at the lenses I mentioned above.

Thanks guys. I was edging towards the 14mm, seen some fairly good prices on it. Do you use a filter with it? Any recommendations on that front too?

theceej said:
Thanks guys. I was edging towards the 14mm, seen some fairly good prices on it. Do you use a filter with it? Any recommendations on that front too?
I'm normally in the uv filter camp with my DSLR's, but with my panny lenses I've never bothered. The 14mm lens front element is absolutely minuscule!

I use Hoya Pro-1D's on my DSLR lenses, they're quite highly thought of but will still give poor results when there's a strong light source in frame. They're not cheap, but given that the filter thread on the 14 is so small, the price hopefully won't be too silly! Assuming they do one that small (46mm?).

Back