"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi Julian.

I'm thinking exactly the same combo. Where did you get the 100-300? Good deal?

I went with Amazon for the 100-300, will probably order the 45mm tonight too, that will give me 14mm, 20mm, 45mm & 100-300mm. Reckon that's a good combo together with my G1 and G3

Warehouse express is the best deal I can find 'in stock' for the 45mm. 249.99 plus look for free next day delivery code.

You have a good lens line-up. Will be good to see some of your images with the 100-300.

I am on my way to acquire a more portable system so split between the ep3 and gx1 but do you all not worry about te lack of IS for Olympus lenses on pana bodies? Very tempted by the 45 mm 1.8 but would like it stabilised ...

I am on my way to acquire a more portable system so split between the ep3 and gx1 but do you all not worry about te lack of IS for Olympus lenses on pana bodies? Very tempted by the 45 mm 1.8 but would like it stabilised ...

If you want it stabilized you could go for the EP3 body, seems a bit expensive still though. As for the GX1, reckon that's overpriced compared to the G3 right now

The gx1 body is 450 at the moment and much prefer it to the ep3 this the dilemma :) I don't want the bulk of the g3. Decisions decisions decisions

Yes I expect that too, I am holding off for at least until PMA to see what Pentax is bringing out as this is my main current system so a mirrorless camera from them will make it a lot harder for me to decide, failing that I will be buying me a Pana once the X lens + the body come in the £550 mark

ive got my eye on a gx1..i like the GF2, but the GX1 looks more my thing..

The GX-1 from Mathers - not sure if it is from eslewhere too - comes with a free license from Adobe which if you don't need - I don't use Aperture can be sold to recoup a tiny bit of the price of the camera which makes the GX-1 not a bad value at all!

G3 has the same sensor as the GX-1 so have a look at it if you want a built in viewfinder and the artiiculated display. Keep in mind that apparently the GX-1 is supposed to be using a newer/different processing engine / algorithms so you might still get different results from the two despite them having the samesensor.

On the other hand the G3 can be had for so little brand new it is almost a steal. The GX-1 is for suckers like me that would rather give up a viewfinder and an articulated display, pay an extra 150£ more and for all that get instead an essentially identical camera in an aluminum as opposed to plastic body.

I would also check the EP3 as well mainly for its built in IS but the sensor is now a bit old and it is considerably more than the GX-1 and even more so than the G3...

GX1 does use the same sensor as the G3 but has got slightly better with processing in-camera JPEGs. I don't think there is much in it though.

I'd look at the G3 if you want the swivel screen and EVF, or the GX1 if you prefer the smaller size and less (50g) weight.

The GX1 does use metal on the back instead of plastic, it's hard to tell the difference though. The buttons are metal and there's 2 more of them. It has a level guide and a flash that can bend backwards. GX1 is made in the Japanese factory while the G3 is made in the Chinese factory, probably with the same machines though.

The GH2 is larger but has a tougher build quality and more options for video. It also uses a multi-aspect sensor rather than cropping to different aspect ratios. I think the GX1/G3 is best for still photography and they are both a lot smaller and lighter than the GH2. The GH3 is rumoured to come out in the next few months though.

The E-P3 uses the same sensor as the GF2, and while it has other improvements if low light is your main concern I would give it a miss.

I keep looking at that lens too so would also be interested to hear from those who've used it...

It won µ43 product of the year twice!

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/lens_of_the_year_2011/

http://www.43rumors.com/poll-what-is-the-best-new-m43-product-of-the-year-2011/

I think it'd make a great addition for my 3 prime set up. I've been trying to order this while on holiday in Madrid as can be found for £230 here. Problem is they may not get stock until I get back to London. I've found it for £235 in the UK but then would have to pay for delivery so the WEX price inc. delivery isn't too bad.

The GX-1 from Mathers - not sure if it is from eslewhere too - comes with a free license from Adobe which if you don't need - I don't use Aperture can be sold to recoup a tiny bit of the price of the camera which makes the GX-1 not a bad value at all!

Celtic Visions also sell it for £450 for the body only. I think Amazon will hit £450 soon but hoping for some sort of cash back offer from Panasonic the the early part of 2012.

anthonys said:
It won µ43 product of the year twice!

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/lens_of_the_year_2011/

http://www.43rumors.com/poll-what-is-the-best-new-m43-product-of-the-year-2011/

I think it'd make a great addition for my 3 prime set up. I've been trying to order this while on holiday in Madrid as can be found for £230 here. Problem is they may not get stock until I get back to London. I've found it for £235 in the UK but then would have to pay for delivery so the WEX price inc. delivery isn't too bad.

Interesting, thanks for the links. Looking forward to getting it even more now :)

Would the G3 and a 20mm prime be a good combination for someone trying to take pics of their child? Also, inside shots all over the place and architecture too

intel86 said:
Would the G3 and a 20mm prime be a good combination for someone trying to take pics of their child? Also, inside shots all over the place and architecture too

I've found the G3 and 20mm great for architectural shots. Plus the size if the combo means it was much more comfortable walking around London, than with my 5D2 with 24-105mm lens. Not tried with it on my little ones, but will give that a go tomorrow ;)

I've found the G3 and 20mm great for architectural shots. Plus the size if the combo means it was much more comfortable walking around London, than with my 5D2 with 24-105mm lens. Not tried with it on my little ones, but will give that a go tomorrow ;)

Thanks. Would be interested in your findings. (y)

I had a very quick play with a GX1 in my local Jessops today. I have to say it felt a bit plasticy compared to my GF2. This is strange because I thought they were both made of the same stuff?

EMA747 said:
I had a very quick play with a GX1 in my local Jessops today. I have to say it felt a bit plasticy compared to my GF2. This is strange because I thought they were both made of the same stuff?

It ia made of metal but I couldn't tell the difference between the tough plastic on the g3 and the metal on the gx1. The good thing is they both have metal frames which makes them feel solid. The metal must be really thin on the body I suspect..

I use a g3 and 20mm for a lot of low light portraits. It's really sharp and 1.7 is enough to get some soft bokeh backgrounds.

If you want tighter crops the Olympus 45mm is probably better suited as you don't have to get close to your subject.

The 20mm doubles as a 95g tiny walk around lens too. I've just spent two days walking around cities with the g3 and 20mm and 14mm. I really appreciate the wider lens sometimes but it distorts people for portraits and isn't as fast.

I've got some nice street shots using the swivel screen in the g3. Missing something at the longer end so think the 45mm will cover that and not need a big slow zoom..

These semi-portraits were taken with the 20mm G3 combo:

6589670281_12224c835c_b.jpg

6574065495_e4057d6410_b.jpg

6583684943_1fb0a0aa71_b.jpg

Last edited:
Of lesser importance I agree but I would prefer the G1/2/3 did not have that rubber feel finish to them that marks so easily and can actually wear off.

New walkabout camera/lens combo

What do you think, fusion of Lumix G1 with Canon 100-400mm f4-5.6 lens?

Just a bit of fun, sure I'd get some strange looks :)

6593762785_57e4d0d4ae.jpg

6593762983_731f3569ee.jpg

6593763179_90d76e307c.jpg

Last edited:
Haha yeah. A bit like Mr Creosote and the "waffeur-thin" mint. :LOL:

Waiter "How are you feeling?" Mr C. "Better.....better get me a bucket....." etc

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Allan

I would expect them to be almost indistinguishable, given it's the same sensor. From what I understand the GX1 has a tweaked processing engine.

GX1 results look very impressive there and I assume they will be similar if not exactly the same as the G3.
The images are certainly cleaner than my G2 and E-PL2 at 3200 and 6400, but I don't think it's enough to make me buy one since I rarely use anything over 1600, where there is almost no difference.
Of course, this observation is spurred on by the lack of spare cash, but should I suddenly find myself with around £450 then I most certainly will think about starting to wind the ISO up and will certainly need a GX-1..;)

Allan

I wonder how the GH2 compares to the GX1 at ISO above 800? I am very tempted by a GH2 so that I can use the hack to give very high video quality as well as good stills.

GF2 bodies don't seem to be worth much used so I would probably hold on to that. Getting a GX1 seems a bit like more of the same compared with a GF2 paired with a GH2. What do you guys think?

Just bought myself a G3 tonight to partner the G1 infra red so it will be good to take the same images with both of them.

I have actually never seen or handled the G3 but from what I have read I can't go wrong moving up from the GF1/ LVF viewfinder which will now be surplus. the articulating screen and the built in viewfinder swung it for me moving from the GF series to the G series.

Just bought myself a G3 tonight to partner the G1 infra red so it will be good to take the same images with both of them.

I have actually never seen or handled the G3 but from what I have read I can't go wrong moving up from the GF1/ LVF viewfinder which will now be surplus. the articulating screen and the built in viewfinder swung it for me moving from the GF series to the G series.

Be interested in what you think of the G3. Did you buy it with the kit lens only?

Back