"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Is the G3 streets ahead of other Micro 4/3rds like say the Sam NX11?

The Samsung doesn't use a µ43 sensor, it's got an APS-C sensor which is larger. It's still a compact system camera but the usability and quality of the lens for µ43 is streets ahead. Only Olympus and Panasonic make µ43 cameras at the moment.

Isnt the APS-C a bigger sensor?

Yup, so it's generally better for low light work, same as the NEX cameras. A bigger sensor means bigger lenses though, so their lenses are all the same size as entry level DSLRs so I don't think there's much point getting one if your intention is to lighten your gear. Plus the Sony and Samsung lenses don't have the variety, speed or sharpness as the µ43 lenses..

The G3 arrived 30 minutes ago in as new condition:) first impressions are that they failed on the ergonomic design as it is awkward to handle, the knurled wheel is not as easy to operate as the G1, swinging out the articulated screen is awkward as you need finger nails to grab it!

The EVF is a big improvement on the GF1 ad-on accessory it replaces and I am pleased it does not have that awful rubber finish but what really matters is the IQ which I have no doubt will not disappoint :)

The G3 arrived 30 minutes ago in as new condition:) first impressions are that they failed on the ergonomic design as it is awkward to handle, the knurled wheel is not as easy to operate as the G1, swinging out the articulated screen is awkward as you need finger nails to grab it!

I had the exact problem when I first used mine back in August, it takes about a day of shooting to realise how to hold it, and you can pull the screen out with your finger and thumb on the top and bottom without using nails - let us know how you find the ergonomics in a few days. (y)

I got my Olympus 45mm yesterday and the Panasonic 100-300mm arrived today, not going to get a chance to use them until tomorrow. The 45mm looks kind of odd in silver mounted on the G3, plus it very small. Really hope for some decent weather before going back to work, as it's not been great this holiday period.

I got my Olympus 45mm yesterday and the Panasonic 100-300mm arrived today, not going to get a chance to use them until tomorrow. The 45mm looks kind of odd in silver mounted on the G3, plus it very small. Really hope for some decent weather before going back to work, as it's not been great this holiday period.

How do you find the 100-300 Julian, is it leaning towards the heavy gear the m43 system is replacing for some.

Galaxy66 said:
How do you find the 100-300 Julian, is it leaning towards the heavy gear the m43 system is replacing for some.

Well it's certainly weighs more than any other m4/3 lens, there is substantially more glass. I still think my bag with G1, G3, 14mm, 20mm, 45mm and 100-300mm is going to be positively lightweight compared to my Canon gear. I'll let you know over the coming days.

I also ordered a Lowepro classified 140, as a non camera looking equipment bag, the above m4/3 gear should all fit nicely.

If you have the kit lens I assume it is the 14-42, so how about the 45-200 @ £218 or you could go the other way and get the 7-14 @ a whopping £979 or sell the 14-42 and go 14-140 @ £559 and then add the 100-300 @ £414
The 20mm 1.7 is one hell of a sharp fast lens that should also be considered.

All depends on what you want to shoot and how much you want to spend.

I have the 20mm, 14-45, and the 45-200 and have just added the 14mm to the line up, the reason I added the 14mm was to have a smallish lens on my G1 IR and the G3 for portability, 20mm on one and the 14mm on the other.

20mm f1.7 would be (ie will be...) my next purchase. I have the 14mm, 14-42mm and 45-200mm, the 20mm ticks an annoying number of boxes.

As I said earlier, hmmmmmm... ;)

thanks chaps, i'll look into those options. :)

Thinking of getting the panny 14mm pancake lens for my G2. Can anyone let me know what the main advantages of this would be against just using the 14-45 kit lens at 14mm?

Thinking of getting the panny 14mm pancake lens for my G2. Can anyone let me know what the main advantages of this would be against just using the 14-45 kit lens at 14mm?

Sharper and faster than at 14mm on the zoom.

About 36 seconds into this video, the bloke in this video opens the screen (as mentioned by anthonys):

youtubelink

hope that helps

Not taken a shot in anger yet but after a bit of "hugging it and loving it and calling it my own" it is getting easier to open:)

Noticeably sharper?
Well I am waiting for my 14mm to arrive so no A-B comparison from me but in general all primes should be sharper than their zoom counterparts due to the compromises made in constructing a zoom.

How noticeable depends on how hard you look.

Galaxy66 said:
Well I am waiting for my 14mm to arrive so no A-B comparison from me but in general all primes should be sharper than their zoom counterparts due to the compromises made in constructing a zoom.

How noticeable depends on how hard you look.

Cheers :)

Stopped and quickly took this pic with the G3 on the way out today....just a snap to test it:)
Panasonic 14-45
1/60th
f6.3
ISO 160
14mm Focal length

6607215639_576f57b6d0_b.jpg
[/url] Panasonic G3 quick IQ test by laidbackman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Markp777 said:
Don't forget the size difference... The 14mm is absolutely tiny, smallest lens I've ever seen. Not as big a deal on the G2 as the GF's I guess, with the 14 on my GF2 it's amazingly small & discreet :)

Don't forget the size difference... The 14mm is absolutely tiny, smallest lens I've ever seen. Not as big a deal on the G2 as the GF's I guess, with the 14 on my GF2 it's amazingly small & discreet :)

Ive just ordered one to use on my "almost GF1" ( E-PL2!) It does look tiny on a G1/2/3 though.

Allan

allanm said:
Ive just ordered one to use on my "almost GF1" ( E-PL2!) It does look tiny on a G1/2/3 though.

Allan
I'm not up on current oly kit, do they do any similar pancake primes?

I may revisit them at some point, my EP-1 annoyed me with size (too bulky), no flash and I never got to grips with the handling, but some of the features were great, the electronic level and art filters spring to mind.

Was looking at some of the pics I took with it the other night and thinking "hmmm... Should I have sold it...". All straight out the camera too.

Does anyone have experience of the gf3? I see lots of people writing positive reports of the gf1 and 2, but little about the gf3 which I think would be a cracking sized camera in combi with the 14mm. What are the advancements over the gf2?. I know it's lost a hotshoe which seems a backward move.

Well I've decided that it's the GF2 that needs to be sold - I was happy enough with the G1/GF1 combo before getting the GF2 and I'll be happy with it again. I did consider selling the GF1 but as the case I have for it fits nicely over it and the 20 f1.7 (which I don't want to part with) I thought I'd keep it. Hopefully the GF2 and a pair of bins I am selling will cover my debts!

Does anyone have experience of the gf3? I see lots of people writing positive reports of the gf1 and 2, but little about the gf3 which I think would be a cracking sized camera in combi with the 14mm. What are the advancements over the gf2?. I know it's lost a hotshoe which seems a backward move.

Seems they have removed features from the GF range and reassigned the range to the P&S market, the GF1 will in my opinion become a classic desirable camera.

I use a GF3. I must admit I don't see a big loss over the GF2/1. People don't like it because it's short on buttons but apart from that it's a winner. It's still very quick and easy to set manual settings with or without the touch screen and I don't need a hotshoe mount. I have no desire to use an external flash, I'm trying to cut down on kit!

I have heard the GF2 is better. Is that down to personal preferance?

What makes you say the GF3?

Gf2 with 14mm for £300 is a good price, given how much the lens costs on it's own

Snapsort.com also rates the GF2 at 61 and he GF3 on 60

GF2 with 14-42mm is £199.

So according to snapsort the GF2 is better?

Which would you go for?

If it was me and I had no m4/3 gear already, I'd probably go for he gf2 with 20mm, don't like the 14-42 kit lens

It doesn't come with the 20mm one. Only 14-42mm.

What can the Pancake lens do that the 14-42mm can't?

Matt.. said:
It doesn't come with the 20mm one. Only 14-42mm.

What can the Pancake lens do that the 14-42mm can't?

It is available with the 14mm, just not at best buys, just gave you my opinion, I believe others have already stated the benefits of prime lens too :)

Matt.. said:
So what do you think to the GF2 with 14-42mm as a starter for me?

Thanks for you help.

Try one first, but I do like mine

So what do you think to the GF2 with 14-42mm as a starter for me?

Thanks for you help.

You will have to make your mind up soon as your choices will not hang around long at those prices, Best Buy are closing down all their UK stores and I imagine folk will be all over the stores like ants looking for a bargain!

We can only give you so much advice and answers to your questions here the decision finally rests with you, we can not tell you which one to buy that is your decision.

I trust you have also been googling reviews and A-B comparison tests between each camera and choice of lenses, that should answer a lot of your questions, that is what I do when I am trying to make a decision.

I am not having a go at you or trying to deter you from asking questions just simply trying to help you decide.

Good luck....and all the best for your next step up into the world of photography:)

I'll post the same in here as I did in the other thread.

Thanks for that.

The reason for firing lots of questions is so I can make a decision fast.

There is only 2 choices of either the GF2 or the GF3 in Best Buy.

The 14-42mm or Twin Lens package which I THINK is the 14mm Prime?

GF3 has a better JPEG rendering engine, and the screen seems more responsive. The GF2 is known to produce pretty flat JPEGs but if you shoot RAW that shouldn't bother you. The GF2 still has the hotshoe but the EVF for it isn't great. I'd probably go with the GF3 between the two just for it's smaller size and later processor. The GX1 isn't too much more, and in a few months I think it'll come down in price - it may be worth waiting if you can as it's a significantly better camera..

Gf2 with 14mm for £300 is a good price, given how much the lens costs on it's own

Snapsort.com also rates the GF2 at 61 and he GF3 on 60

You can find the 14mm pancake that has been separated from a body on ebay for about £130, and SRS had GF2 bodies for sale for £170 so yes £300 is a fair price. Panasonic were offering a cash back programme but think that may have just ended..

Back