"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I will be clicking the shutter button on the G3 more often than I did on the GF1, the shutter count on that must be in the low hundreds!!

I am looking forward to the either a trip out with my tog buddy or if sooner a trip out with the camera club, only difference is this time I will not have the huge Lowepro Vertex 200 on my back filled with 2 dslr bodies and all the pockets full of lenses, converters etc. :).....that will be interesting:)

What made you decide to go for the G3?

As opposed to? I have done my research and it was the obvious upgrade for me to the GF1 I have rarely used, plus I liked the handling of the G1 I already had.

Last edited:
Hi...anyone know what Flash & Triggers for Panasonic SLR Camera...???

Poss Yong Nuo... YN-560 ... ???

Cheers...

STEVIER

THE-BIG-MAN-SAYS said:
Hi...anyone know what Flash & Triggers for Panasonic SLR Camera...???

Poss Yong Nuo... YN-560 ... ???

Cheers...

STEVIER

I use some hahnel combi tf's. They fire every time without fail. I use them with a panny flash and a couple of old generic flashes and they fire no probs. I had some cheaper ones from China bit they didn't work every time so they got returned.

The hahnel also work as remote shutter release so with more than one receiver they can do remote shutter and separate off camera flash too.

Got mine here: http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/ . They do sell two or three m4/3 options, call them, they were very helpful

Last edited:
An impulse purchase of non-photographic type has left me a bit cash poor so I might have to sell one of my m43 bodies. Dilemma of hitch should go, the gf1 or the gf2...

I would suggest the GF2........because I will be trying to sell my GF1 on here soon:D

I use some hahnel combi tf's. They fire every time without fail. I use them with a panny flash and a couple of old generic flashes and they fire no probs. I had some cheaper ones from China bit they didn't work every time so they got returned.

The hahnel also work as remote shutter release so with more than one receiver they can do remote shutter and separate off camera flash too.

Got mine here: http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/ . They do sell two or three m4/3 options, call them, they were very helpful

CHEERS...!!!

STEVIER

I already have the 20mm 1.7/14-45/and 45-200.

Bought it here

That was actually my one originally, missed it so much I had to get a new one today!

I was out of the m4/3 fold for only a few days before I saw the light. I'm promising myself that's the last 'rash flogging of m4/3 kit episode' ;-)

That was actually my one originally, missed it so much I had to get a new one today!

I was out of the m4/3 fold for only a few days before I saw the light. I'm promising myself that's the last 'rash flogging of m4/3 kit episode' ;-)

It's a great lens, I got one from Andy West on here, love it!

postcardcv said:
An impulse purchase of non-photographic type has left me a bit cash poor so I might have to sell one of my m43 bodies. Dilemma of hitch should go, the gf1 or the gf2...
Depends how much you need to raise, I think the GF1 sells for substantially more as the GF2 is the ginger stepchild of the range... I love mine tho ;)

Many a rash decision made with tog gear:shake: I have sold and replaced a few lenses in my time...I will have to think really hard before slimming down my Canon kit, but I can assure you Joe that the G3 will remain in the minty condition it currently is:)

fidsey79 said:
You are all very naughty men. You are making it very tricky when i swappwd to nikon last month. Just don'y fancy my d7000 as much as the lumix range and portability.
I feel your pain Sarah... Determined to upgrade my d90 to a d7k but find I'm using my GF2 waaaaaay more. Decisions decisions...

ronnus said:
I feel your pain Sarah... Determined to upgrade my d90 to a d7k but find I'm using my GF2 waaaaaay more. Decisions decisions...

It's happening to all of us ;)

I was about buy a 7D as a second canon body to my 5D2. I then ordered two m4/3 lenses. I'm thinking now that I could be using my m4/3 gear more than my canon kit in 2012

fidsey79 said:
Exactly!!! I went through a haze of wanting to upgrade which became so obessive! If I had spent the time taking photos by skills would have improved greatly. I have broached the subject of going back to Lumix but my husband is soooo angry with me.

I'm keeping my canon gear for now. I can remember taking ages to decide on 5D2 in 2009 and justifying to my wife that it's all I ever needed :)

Good thing with m4/3 gear is that it goes undetected when delivered, like my Olympus 45mm lens today ;)

I'm keeping my canon gear for now. I can remember taking ages to decide on 5D2 in 2009 and justifying to my wife that it's all I ever needed :)

Good thing with m4/3 gear is that it goes undetected when delivered, like my Olympus 45mm lens today ;)

Problem I have with the Halifax now is that when I do a BT with someone for the first time they call you by telephone to confirm the transfer, so now I get " ohh and what are you buying now!!":bonk:

Exactly!!! I went through a haze of wanting to upgrade which became so obessive! If I had spent the time taking photos by skills would have improved greatly.

I've been there too, thankfully, I saw the light and bought into the G range. I still had a couple of forays back to DSLR's but they didn't last long.

I've just bought a Lumix 14mm lens to go with my 14-45 and 45-200. The only lens I really missed from my earlier togging days was a 36mm Leica Elmarit, hopefully, this will fill the gap with an effective FOV of 28mm.

Allan

Can anyone that has the G1 and G3 compare the size of the bodies for me please?
I was looking at the G3 in store today and I love it, but its just too expensive for me at the moment. I thought a used G1 might be a better idea as they seem to go for more reasonable money at the moment, but I haven't actually ever seen one in the flesh.
Are there any noticeable differences between the models that I need to be aware of?

Mandoo said:
I was looking at the G3 in store today and I love it, but its just too expensive for me at the moment. I thought a used G1 might be a better idea as they seem to go for more reasonable money at the moment, but I haven't actually ever seen one in the flesh.
Are there any noticeable differences between the models that I need to be aware of?
On phone just now so can't check if this link works, but try http://camerasize.com/compare/

so..ive got the kit lens for the gf2 and the 14mm prime that comes in that twin lens kit, what would be the next lens to get?

There are big differences, and many.
I kept my G1 and left the G3 in the shop after comparing a few things that mattered to me.
In my opinion the G1 is actually easier to hold and handle, easier to change some settings, and a whole chunk less frustrating if you're going from viewfinder to screen during use : the G3 has no eye-sensor to automatically switch.
Used G1 bodies are just over £100 last I looked = awesome bargain!
(Doesn't take video though.)
If the brown G3 had been available in Britain I would've got one, mind. I like brown.

I may be being dim here but is there a way to set the GF series to auto rotate portrait shots? It's a ball ache doing them all in post processing.

Ulfric M Douglas said:
There are big differences, and many.
I kept my G1 and left the G3 in the shop after comparing a few things that mattered to me.
In my opinion the G1 is actually easier to hold and handle, easier to change some settings, and a whole chunk less frustrating if you're going from viewfinder to screen during use : the G3 has no eye-sensor to automatically switch.
Used G1 bodies are just over £100 last I looked = awesome bargain!
(Doesn't take video though.)
If the brown G3 had been available in Britain I would've got one, mind. I like brown.

Agree totally with your statements on handling and is a bargain, got my G1 on here for £95 in mint condition. The G3 does seem a little awkward to handle in comparison. But the sensor in the G3 is streets ahead

so..ive got the kit lens for the gf2 and the 14mm prime that comes in that twin lens kit, what would be the next lens to get?

If you have the kit lens I assume it is the 14-42, so how about the 45-200 @ £218 or you could go the other way and get the 7-14 @ a whopping £979 or sell the 14-42 and go 14-140 @ £559 and then add the 100-300 @ £414
The 20mm 1.7 is one hell of a sharp fast lens that should also be considered.

All depends on what you want to shoot and how much you want to spend.

I have the 20mm, 14-45, and the 45-200 and have just added the 14mm to the line up, the reason I added the 14mm was to have a smallish lens on my G1 IR and the G3 for portability, 20mm on one and the 14mm on the other.

matty said:
20mm f1.7 would be (ie will be...) my next purchase. I have the 14mm, 14-42mm and 45-200mm, the 20mm ticks an annoying number of boxes.

As I said earlier, hmmmmmm... ;)

Back