Pic(s) you took today - an open thread

A couple from our family womble around lac Montbel, Ariege, S. France today, temps in the late afternoon were up in mid 30sC so the dragons were resting in the sun and picking off bugs from theri favorite perches

A common Darter, Sympetrum striolatum and a Violet Dropwing Trithemis annulata.

sympetrum-striolatum.jpg

violet-dropwing.jpg

The fields are full of machinery right now, the countryside is alive with farmers and workmen.
This chap is loosening up the top soil, I suspect the winter crop will be going in soon.
27 08 24 09.jpg
And the path goes on.......
27 08 24 10.jpg
Couple more Dragonflies today
27 08 24 11.jpg
27 08 24 12.jpg
The first Jackdaw looks like he's been painting the spare room, and really like the catch on the second one
27 08 24 15.jpg
27 08 24 18.jpg

Last edited:
A couple from our family womble around lac Montbel, Ariege, S. France today, temps in the late afternoon were up in mid 30sC so the dragons were resting in the sun and picking off bugs from theri favorite perches

A common Darter, Sympetrum striolatum and a Violet Dropwing Trithemis annulata.

View attachment 432257

View attachment 432258

Hi Mark - were did you see the Violet Dropwing, (just re-read your posting - you saw the Dragonfly in France).- I knew that they were moving farther north in Europe year by year but I did not think that they had got to the UK (yet).

When we lived in France I contributed to a survey in the early 2000's - up to 2009 when they had really only got to the Gironde estuary

Habitat - they seem to like open area of water - sunny open lakes - which is were I saw them - on the edges of a small open area of water, (a lake), near our house

TP_dropwing.jpg

TP_dropwing_2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark - were did you see the Violet Dropwing, (just re-read your posting - you saw the Dragonfly in France).- I knew that they were moving farther north in Europe year by year but I did not think that they had got to the UK (yet).

When we lived in France I contributed to a survey in the early 2000's - up to 2009 when they had really only got to the Gironde estuary

Habitat - they seem to like open area of water - sunny open lakes - which is were I saw them - on the edges of a small open area of water, (a lake), near our house

TP_dropwing.jpg

TP_dropwing_2.jpg
Great images Bill, classic pose, We have seen them here in the Aude/Ariege every year we have been here since 2019. The Lac near us, lac Montbel is a man made lac with natural forest edges and inlets with boggy areas in places as well as good reedbeds, so the habitat is perfect for them - and many others :)

One of my usual dog walks, but in unusual light. Taken on the Leicasonic V-LUX.

Pont Sainte-Elisabeth de Glane, France

Pont St Elizabeth 2 Glane LS Format.jpg

Water wheel at Chaillac, France

Water Wheel 3 LS Format.jpg

Today's dog walk included taking the V-LUX to a small, historic village near home. I have a lot of scenic views on file so today I concentrated on detail shots with a view to converting to mono where possible. The first one didn't need converting. It looked OK to me straight out of the box...

St-Germain de Confolens No 9 Doorway PTF.jpg

The others I played with in Silkypix.....

St-Germain de Confolens Mono View LSF.jpg

St-Germain de Confolens Alley Mono PTF.jpg

St-Germain Rooftops Mono LSF.jpg

It is a bit of a hike up to the ruined chateau and back down to the river and the dog was getting tired so we stopped off to re-fuel....

Coffe & Gateau.jpg

That wouldn't have tasted so good in black and white!

Hi, the MAC (120 cars) :

(NIKON D500 - Nikkor 4/70-200) :

DSC_2292-d5002-c.jpg

DSC_2296-d5002-c.jpg

DSC_2300-d5002-c.jpg

Lunch (OLYMPUS PEN EP-1- Pana 1,7/20):

P8314218.jpg

P8314220.jpg

Back home, a robin (NIKON D850 - Sigma 150-600c) :

DSC_8705-d850c.jpg

Out working today and while taking the dog for an early morning walk on route to my first call this scene appeared. It would have been rude not to snap it with the Leicasonic V-LUX...

Gt Egret at Mas Chaban.jpg

A little further around the lake there were more of them......

Egrets in Trees 1 LSF.jpg

After lunch I stopped off at a river so the dog could have a swim. There were bathers already there....

2 Swans & Heron LSF.jpg

I met a chap who I had arranged to buy a camera from on a freeads site. The Panasonic S1 & 24-105mm lens has done less clicks than I paid for them in Euros. I quickly put the outfit to the test....

Boats at St-Simeux LSF.jpg

Peceries St-Simeux LSF.jpg

Sunflower Gone Over 2 PTF.jpg

Raining on and off all day with a featureless sky. Only three photos made the cut and I reckon on being generous due to the circumstances. Camera was Panasonic DMC S1 & 24-105mm.

Chateau Bourg Archambault LSF.jpg

Chateau Bourg Archambault PTF.jpg

Sunflower Against White Background PTF.jpg

Today I took the same dog, but a different camera for a walk. I have photographed this water wheel with at least 6 cameras ranging from a vintage Zeiss Contarex, Contax RTS, Nikon APS-C cameras, two bridge cameras and now a Panasonic S1 with 24-105 f4 lens. It is my test bed.

Chaillac Water Wheel S1 LSF.jpg

The wheel obligingly stalls every rotation allowing a few seconds of zero movement. I took the opportunity to get close to the boss....

Chaillac Water Wheel Hub LSF.jpg

On the way to the water wheel we pass an old winch that until about thirty years ago when a bridge was built, was attached to a tethered boat that could be hauled across the fast flowing river to the island. The vegetation has dropped back enough for me to get to it.....

Chaillac Winch Colour PTF.jpg

Our lunchtime dog walk today at Murlough Beach & Nature Reserve (Co Down, Northern Ireland) was dicing with the weather gods, but we managed to avoid the inevitable rain until we got back home:
Murlough-clouds1 by Lindsay Pennell, on Flickr
Murlough-clouds3 by Lindsay Pennell, on Flickr
Murlough-clouds4 by Lindsay Pennell, on Flickr

All taken on my iPhone 13 as it was what I had with me. Annoyingly, I had planned to take the Linhof 617 which would have been perfect for this outing, but I couldn't operate that and hang onto the dog at the same time and MrsP was not with me to take care of the latter. Another day...

A small silver pill-box made by my very talented wife, into the lid of which she has mounted a piece of what is usually known as "Picture Agate". After I had taken this image, it was she who pointed out that the apparent scene in the stone is more than a little reminiscent of the view up the valley to the Sycamore Gap (which is no more). The visible height of the image is 5.5cm. Produced for the Flickr Macro Mondays challenge.

Sycamore Gap by John Liddle, on Flickr

We should be in the Lot Valley now. Then on to the Pyrenees, Andorra and Carcassonne. However the dog is sick and needs veterinary treatment for a stomach bug so I went out on my own today near home. There are several Neolithic sites dotted about the area and I went in search of some of them. Camera of choice today was the Lumix S1 with 24-105 lens.

Berneuil 1.jpg

Berneuil 2.jpg

Rouffinac.jpg

The last image is of a large stone known locally as 'Le Roche Des Fees' or Fairy Rock in English.

Le Roche des Fees.jpg

Back