Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are more lenses on the way. A possible 7mm to something and a 12mm-80mm so i believe! They're getting there!

Last edited:
Andy there is a 7-18mm out now, but it's slow F4.

In fact I am seriously thinking about buying the kit zoom as a stand-in. Half the trouble is we have been so delighted with the 20mm and that's going to be a hard act to follow

Brian.

The kit zoom is a great lens if you look at it in the right context. It's not going to give you a digital rangefinder of any sorts. What it does is gives you a oversized LX2 with a file that you can print to a similar quality to a DLSR camera.

The trouble with the GF1 is that it gets lots of us closer to our idea digi setup than we've been before. So the the gap might be smaller now but as the ideal gets closer, the gap can actually become more frustrating. :LOL:

"GF1 is that it gets lots of us closer to our idea digi setup than we've been before."

Yup. I'd say that the GF1 is the closest thing yet to the experience of using a quality compact film camera.

The trouble with the GF1 is that it gets lots of us closer to our idea digi setup than we've been before. So the the gap might be smaller now but as the ideal gets closer, the gap can actually become more frustrating.

I quite agree.

Re the kit lens. I use the 20mm wide open nearly all the time it gives me the sort of depth of field that one got in the old days of 35mm The problem with the kit lens is that it is just so slow, who on earth would buy a 90mm F5.6? Blimey I've owned large format lenses faster than that. If Panasonic can make a fabulous F1.7 why are all the others so slow? Even the Leica 45mm is only f2.8, very expensive with lack lustre performance.

And no, I don't want a digital range-finder camera , they are a pain in the butt for Vario lens spectsacle wearers.. I want a fully automatic camera with interchangeable/ or a decent standard zoom lens, with a proper viewfinder,even if it is an add on third party product.

And Woof if you are thinking of Minolta Leica CLEs/ 35mm Rolleis and the like I completely agree.

Brian.

Well, the "quality" compacts I've owned are probably a little less "quality" than yours :) but yes.

As I keep saying, you can almost forget that the GF1 is a digital camera, and by that I mean that it being digital doesn't get in the way at all.

I quite agree.

Re the kit lens. I use the 20mm wide open nearly all the time it gives me the sort of depth of field that one got in the old days of 35mm The problem with the kit lens is that it is just so slow, who on earth would buy a 90mm F5.6? Blimey I've owned large format lenses faster than that. If Panasonic can make a fabulous F1.7 why are all the others so slow? Even the Leica 45mm is only f2.8, very expensive with lack lustre performance.

And no, I don't want a digital range-finder camera , they are a pain in the butt for Vario lens spectsacle wearers.. I want a fully automatic camera with interchangeable/ or a decent standard zoom lens, with a proper viewfinder,even if it is an add on third party product.

And Woof if you are thinking of Minolta Leica CLEs/ 35mm Rolleis and the like I completely agree.

Brian.

Brian - I'd also like to see fast zooms from Panasonic for the m4/3rds cameras. Problem is - they would probably be quite expensive, so who will buy them? I know there are enthusiasts who would happily shell out the mula for such a thing, but for the majority of buyers, they will stick with the standard zoom, 20mm 1.7, and maybe a few quality MF lenses via adaptors. It just wouldn't be a profitable thing for Panasonic, in my opinion.

I have the 14-45 lens, and whilst it is fairly slow, it is very sharp and contrasty with excellent colours. Very similar to the 20mm 1.7. Fine as a walkaround lens if you want more flexibility than the 20mm offers. It has OIS of course - which helps you to keep the ISO down for static subjects and is another plus.

Last edited:
Andy there is a 7-18mm out now, but it's slow F4.

In fact I am seriously thinking about buying the kit zoom as a stand-in. Half the trouble is we have been so delighted with the 20mm and that's going to be a hard act to follow

Brian.
Surely f4 is not so much of an issue when doing landscape which i guess is what it was designed for?

"GF1 is that it gets lots of us closer to our idea digi setup than we've been before."

Yup. I'd say that the GF1 is the closest thing yet to the experience of using a quality compact film camera.

I started with a Canon 40d then sold it and bought a Lumix TZ6 compact which is great and i still use it but i was getting frustrated with not having manual control so i bought another 40d and again found it too big and bulky plus it was a bit of a pain doing all the set up to get a good shot which was not great when out and about taking pics off the cuff.

I always wanted a 'posh' compact and i have found it in the GF1. It is small enough to be usable while out and about and the quality is good enough to keep me happy, almost as good as the 40d. Also the quality of the build of the GF1 is just superb! I love it and am happy to have found another friend.

If i just did landscape or situations where the camera lived on a tripod then i would probably still have the 40d but i like to get out and about and the GF1 is perfect for my needs.

I just leave mine (with 20mm) set to f4 and adjust when taking a low light or shallow dof shot.

Although I have a 'thing' for lenses (including manual focus) I think I would still be happy with just the GF1 and 20mm permanently attached.

The 7-14mm f4 wide angle lens looks really good initially, and would be super for landscapes, until you realise that you cant attach filters to it. Doh!!!

I agree with others above - a small stable of very nice fast primes would be just superb. 7, 14, 20, 35, 50 would work pretty well for me.

But have you seen the price for the 1-14mm :eek: About 900 beer tokens!!!

A 7mm prime would be saweeeeet!

But have you seen the price for the 1-14mm :eek: About 900 beer tokens!!!

A 7mm prime would be saweeeeet!

900 beer tokens for that focal range is astonishing value for money :LOL:

It's nearly a bag of sand!! :D

Had delivery of my new (to me) Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f1.7 lens. I'm still waiting for the adapter so no example shots yet :( but here it is with my GF1.

Hey Andy, Finally managed to pin down a GF1 in Black with 20mm lens from Mathers - should be arriving tomorrow (y)

Your new Voigtlander lens is awesome - I am have been watching some old M42 lenses on Ebay but now you've got me started on a whole different level with the VLanders !!!

May I be so rude as to ask how much you paid the the 35mm VL and also where you have sourced an adaptor from please?

I have recently rationalised my lens collection for my 7D and now I can see another collection starting for the GF1 !

Out of the frying pan into another frying pan :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Is there an adaptor that'll let my 35mm f2.5 off my Bessa R mount on my GF1? I don't know if this is a good lens or not but I thought that if there's a relatively cheap adaptor it might be worth having a play.

The lens has a screw thread.

PS. bl0at3r, I'll look forward to seeing your pictures! :)

Is there an adaptor that'll let my 35mm f2.5 off my Bessa R mount on my GF1? I don't know if this is a good lens or not but I thought that if there's a relatively cheap adaptor it might be worth having a play.

The lens has a screw thread.

PS. bl0at3r, I'll look forward to seeing your pictures! :)

hey woof, thanks - looking forward to getting it charged up (once it arrives) (y)

Hey Andy, Finally managed to pin down a GF1 in Black with 20mm lens from Mathers - should be arriving tomorrow (y)

Your new Voigtlander lens is awesome - I am have been watching some old M42 lenses on Ebay but now you've got me started on a whole different level with the VLanders !!!

May I be so rude as to ask how much you paid the the 35mm VL and also where you have sourced an adaptor from please?

I have recently rationalised my lens collection for my 7D and now I can see another collection starting for the GF1 !

Out of the frying pan into another frying pan :LOL::LOL::LOL:

BIG Congrat!! Well done, you will love it i'm sure.

These Voigtlander lenses 'seem' to be up to Leica's standard but are very reasonable in price. I paid £180 for mine and it is 100% perfect, like new. At the moment it's sitting in front of my keyboard looking at me just waiting to be used! The thread that i have is M39 screw thread. The adapter was bought from the bay for £25 free delivery from Hong Kong so fingers crossed it will get here and work. Voigtlander also have Leica M and Leica R mounts which are also available on the bay of e. The most common i have seen is Leica M. Go to http://photography.shop.ebay.co.uk/Lens-Mounts-Adaptors-/30059/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282 and put in the mount that you need for GF1 and there should be adapters pop up. Just make sure you buy from someone either in UK or abroad with the highest feedback.

M42 lenses are a lot more common and there are some good ones out there like the Takumar's, Carl Zeiss etc. Multi coated lenses are usually better for color and contrast so look out for S-M-C on some of the lenses. This is Super Multi Coated.

Let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
BIG Congrat!! Well done, you will love it i'm sure.

These Voigtlander lenses 'seem' to be up to Leica's standard but are very reasonable in price. I paid £180 for mine and it is 100% perfect, like new. At the moment it's sitting in front of my keyboard looking at me just waiting to be used! The thread that i have is M39 screw thread. The adapter was bought from the bay for £25 free delivery from Hong Kong so fingers crossed it will get here and work. Voigtlander also have Leica M and Leica R mounts which are also available on the bay of e. The most common i have seen is Leica M. Go to http://photography.shop.ebay.co.uk/...i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282 and put in the mount that you need for GF1 and there should be adapters pop up. Just make sure you buy from someone either in UK or abroad with the highest feedback.

M42 lenses are a lot more common and there are some good ones out there like the Takumar's, Carl Zeiss etc. Multi coated lenses are usually better for color and contrast so look out for S-M-C on some of the lenses. This is Super Multi Coated.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks, can't wait !!

Has anyone tried one of these 0.25X Wide Fisheye Lens

Assume the 20mm with this on the front would be interesting !

Looks interesting but cheap so don't expect high quality. Check the feedback, he has a few negatives but then again has sold a lot of gear. For £40 it's worth a punt and should sell on the bay easily enough. See if you can find image examples. I'm not keen on Fish eye stuff so I'm not buying one :D

Looks interesting but cheap so don't expect high quality. Check the feedback, he has a few negatives but then again has sold a lot of gear. For £40 it's worth a punt and should sell on the bay easily enough. See if you can find image examples. I'm not keen on Fish eye stuff so I'm not buying one :D

You're right - quality will probably be shocking = distortion everywhere !

I'm pretty intent on keeping the 20mm on the front for a while, but my finger keeps hovering over those 'bid now' buttons !

Gonna end up with a load of lenses I just know it :shrug:

Gonna end up with a load of lenses I just know it :shrug:
Yep, I have been there!! :D When lenses are only £20odd then it's too tempting to hit that button!

I was watching a M42 SMC (the good one!) Takumar 50mm f1.4 on the bay, 99p start and it didn't get one bid!!!!! and i missed it BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER!!!!!! I have mailed him to see what he will take but not heard anything yet!

I have a question on filters - just bought a 46mm Hoya UV filter on the bay for £8 for my 20mm 1.7 lens. It is not a multicoated one, just a standard UV. Will I lose colour/contrast with it or is the difference negligable?

So have you taken any more shots with the new GF1?

Mine is (hopefully) on it's way (y)

A quick couple for you , I am well pleased with it and can't wait for the sun to shine . Clock picture was no flash.

Mine came from Mathers and arrived exactly as they said...

I have a question on filters - just bought a 46mm Hoya UV filter on the bay for £8 for my 20mm 1.7 lens. It is not a multicoated one, just a standard UV. Will I lose colour/contrast with it or is the difference negligable?

You should be fine. Some poorer quality filters do degrade image quality very slightly but i bet 95% of photographers couldn't tell the difference!!:D

You should be fine. Some poorer quality filters do degrade image quality very slightly but i bet 95% of photographers couldn't tell the difference!!:D

Thanks Andy - it's a shame you can't buy a thin framed filter in 46mm though, the Hoya one I've bought adds about 5-6mm to the length of the lens. Tempted to do without but I think I'd rather protect the front element.

I have Hoya Skylight 1B filter bought with the camera from Mathers...will protect the lens from damage !......About colour loss , don't know will have to try it out sometime.

An action shot with the GF1 from today.

Prefocussed with the 20mm @ 1/50th

Good shot richpips :)

Oldboy2000, are those shots with a custom or just auto WB?

Family members on Christmas day...

c2c.jpg

c1c.jpg

Last edited:
STOP TEASING ME :LOL::LOL:

It should arrive today but am not going to get to test it in anger til tomorrow - weather permitting !

What is the smallest Lowepro pouch that the GF1+20 will fit in? Was looking on their site with the dimensions from the Panny site but was a bit confuzzled.

Also, what is the file size of RAW vs JPG in the finest quality? - wondering if I need a card bigger than 4Gb

Thanks chaps

Bl0at3r (Almost a GF1 Boy)

STOP TEASING ME :LOL::LOL:

It should arrive today but am not going to get to test it in anger til tomorrow - weather permitting !

Bl0at3r (Almost a GF1 Boy)

Sorry fella but the weather looks pants for tomorrow, possible snow!!

Several times in this thread I have questioned just where Panasonic saw the market section for the GF1, at last I am beginning to see the light.

Brian.

How do you mean Brian?

Went for a little walk along the canal yesterday...

4312638487_16cbfa40e5.jpg

4312636873_ee8ed37581.jpg

4312632891_5eb5a68af9.jpg

4312638809_f075a4e108.jpg

4313374754_8539c13d87.jpg

(last two are pretty heavily cropped)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back