Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally got round to uploading a handful of my GF1 photos from my trip last week to Disneyland, and I've included a few from the rural villages we went to as well (Senlise, Pierrefonds). Apologies for the large number of images but I wanted to give people who may be considering a GF1 an indication of the wide range of capabilities this camera has, so I'll split them across multiple messages. Some of them are really just snaps - but that's part of the fun of this camera.

I was seriously impressed with how versatile the GF1 really is - and there is a surprising amount of latitude in the RAW files given the sensor size, compared to my 5D Mark II. It's a serious tool.

All shots were handheld, my tripod stayed at home, and they were all taken with all 3 of my lenses, if anyone wants more details just let me know. I managed to fit my GF1, 20mm, 14-45, 45-200, batteries etc and my Canon HF100 camcorder into a very small gadget bag from Jessops which only cost me a tenner (if anyone is interested - it's the Centon D-Trek CB 80). Perfect package for travel!

For anyone sitting on the fence about whether to get a GF1 - just do it, it is a truly brilliant camera, and the trio of lenses I have are extremely well made, and very sharp & contrasty given the price.

P1010740-7.jpg

P1010809-1.jpg

P1010814.jpg

P1010839.jpg

P1010840.jpg

P1010842.jpg

Last edited:
Super lot of pictures Dave. Thanks for posting some pictures that clearly show that the GF1 capabilities are not restricted to the contents of kitchen cupboards.........and my dog.

Re the Russian connection..........O.K..it's the Zeiss f1.5 version but I ain't a snob. I wonder if anyone makes an adapter.

zeiss.jpg

Brian

Last edited:
For anyone sitting on the fence about whether to get a GF1 - just do it, it is a truly brilliant camera, and the trio of lenses I have are extremely well made, and very sharp & contrasty given the price.

Dave, I'd go as far to say as the GF-1 is the perfect travel/holiday camera, even with just the 20mm or 14-145mm lens.

Dave, I'd go as far to say as the GF-1 is the perfect travel/holiday camera, even with just the 20mm or 14-145mm lens.

Totally agree - and it's also a very capable substitute for a DSLR. The DSLR sized sensor in a compact body gives it so much flexibility - admittedly it was winter, so I had a big jacket on most of the time, but I found I could walk around with it in my (fleece lined) jacket pocket with either the 20mm or 14-45mm lens attached, ready for a "quick draw" (Toy Story's Woody had nothing on me...).

It coped perfectly with an indoor show as well in low light, when everyone else's compact was struggling - I would say that images shot at sensitivities up to around ISO1000 will print up to A3 size with minimal noise.

I think I'll be keeping mine for some time (erm....well....until the GF2 comes out)

Dave

Great pictures :)

"I think I'll be keeping mine for some time (erm....well....until the GF2 comes out)"

I'm happy with my GF1 but that "simple lens mount" concept from Sony may be interesting if they make it.

Quick question to all - no pics of any note yet, sorry about that!

Have been playing around with the settings on my GF1. When using the AutoISO function, set to a max of 800, in AP mode, the camera fixes the shutter speed at 1/30 even when the ISO setting it chooses is well below 800. Is there any way to set a higher max shutter speed when the ISO would allow?

For example, with the 14-45 lens on, at 45mm, F8, in Aperture Priority, the shutter is fixing at 1/30, but the ISO is only auto'ing to 320 - when I would prefer a faster shutter speed and higher ISO setting.

Hope that made sense!

No doubt you will show us how to produce decent pics then:)

Very much doubt it - certainly compared to some of the ones I've seen on here and the other thread, I would guess my output will be distinctly average!

I did mean I'd not produced any of note yet, BTW!

Last edited:
Very much doubt it - certainly compared to some of the ones I've seen on here and the other thread, I would guess my output will be distinctly average!

I did mean I'd not produced any of note yet, BTW!

Why not post some of your pics from the GF1(y)

Oh, go on then...

With the 20mm pancake - pets have their uses...

and with the 14-45mm, an unwilling other half.

Snaps only so far, I'm afraid.

Anyway, back to the question....?

Cheers, Mark

Your cat and wife are pretty. ;)

Not sure about the AP mode, don't really use it too much tbh

@ AndyWest - where do you get your MF lenses from? Anywhere else good other than ebay?

Last edited:
There are SO many pussy jokes there....no...no don't!!! I must resist!!!!!!!!:bonk:

Sorry i just had to...

:D

There are SO many pussy jokes there....no...no don't!!! I must resist!!!!!!!!:bonk:

Sorry i just had to...

:D

Pictures of Pussys must be banned on here otherwise who knows what it will do to AndyWest(y):rules::LOL:

Very pretty wife:)
Cat is ok... I guess... ;)
What's cooking back there?!:eek:

Last edited:
A couple of quick shots with this camera, using the 20 1.7 lens.

I love it. I find I can get almost perfect exposures off the bat without any post processing work with this camera.

Me looking all serious.

A close friend on mine.

I've finally got round to uploading a handful of my GF1 photos from my trip last week to Disneyland

Great collection of images, just goes to show how versatile the GF1 is. I think that the stained glass window shot just shows how good the metering is.

Have been playing around with the settings on my GF1. When using the AutoISO function, set to a max of 800, in AP mode, the camera fixes the shutter speed at 1/30 even when the ISO setting it chooses is well below 800. Is there any way to set a higher max shutter speed when the ISO would allow?

For example, with the 14-45 lens on, at 45mm, F8, in Aperture Priority, the shutter is fixing at 1/30, but the ISO is only auto'ing to 320 - when I would prefer a faster shutter speed and higher ISO setting.

Hope that made sense!

Have you updated the firmware on the camera and the body? I seem to remember reading somewhere about the latest firmware correcting an issue where the camera kept wanting to choose lower settings

love it. I find I can get almost perfect exposures off the bat without any post processing work with this camera.

Welcome to the minority Kay.:)

Mark, I reckon your going to need a good lawyer.

Brian

Last edited:
The other half was tickled by the "pretty" description (g/f, as I've yet to "put a ring on it" to coin the song), but her pussy failed to comment! (Is that a step too far for TP, I wonder, or does it give Andy free reign to let rip....!).

Phinix, she was in the process of cooking my tea, as we call it up here - and the pan in question had a heady mix of corgettes and onions in a spicy tomatoe sauce, to go along with the roast chicken breast (any use as a prompt Andy??) and roasted cubed potatoes. Delicious.

Alan, thanks for the heads up on checking the firmware version - will check this tonight, and then look for an update if needed - do you have a link, or best to search the Pana website?

Cheers Bradders.

Indeed Brian, spot on. Guess I toned it down a tad for those not lucky enough to reside in Gods own county!

@ AndyWest - where do you get your MF lenses from? Anywhere else good other than ebay?

I did find a few in a local charity shop and i got one from someone at work. always worth asking as people usually have then in the loft and are willing to let them go to a good home. I have a colegue that has one in her loft that she is going to give me but it will be a while. Worth the wait i hope!! :D

Ah Yorkshire, the Texas of the UK. ;)

I could never get used to male bus drivers calling me 'luv' and people talking about working '9-while-5' when I lived there.

Thanks Andy, will keep an eye out.

KayJay - nice pics - I wish I was capable of getting the exposure right straight out of the camera, but that would require me to actually know what I'm doing with photography. I'm quite good at faffing about on computers though. :)

Last edited:
The people's republic of yorkshire reports that Graham has posted a very very nice panorama!

Like the shot - is it a real pan or a crop? Where is it.

Cheers, Mark, who is bored now waiting his battery to charge up fully again to enable him to do the f/ware update!

Cheers! :)

I just ordered a massive canvas of it so I hope it's good. This photography lark is proving VERY expensive. It's just a crop - taken from Ambleside in the Lakes.

Well worth getting a spare battery imo though, there was a link somewhere in this thread for one for £12.99 that apparently works with the latest firmware.

nice pic Grum, really captured the sky.

Taken on the way home tonight as part of my 365.
Light was amazing across the bay, but as usual slow car drivers stopped me getting to where i wanted in time.

click to supersize me

Cheers Zoidberg.

Superb pic there - possibly my favourite Morecambe shot of yours that I've seen. Lovely colours. Whereabouts is that on the prom then?

Cheers Zoidberg.

Superb pic there - possibly my favourite Morecambe shot of yours that I've seen. Lovely colours. Whereabouts is that on the prom then?

Thanks.

She's down by the Golf Course. If you park up near HAppy Mount park and head towards Hest Bank, she's on a grassy bank just past the car park next to the Golf Club.
Funny seeing her wrapped in Tinsel at christmas or occasionaly people "borrow" the pin flag from the 1st green at the golf club and place it between her arms.

Will have a dig back through the thread, and get one ordered. Will come in handy as I'm going to Val Thorens on 6th March for a few days boarding - hence the purchase of the GF1.

Took the D700 and assorted bits and bobs (borrowed from work) to La Plagne a few weeks ago, but didn't fancy boarding with it on my person - fear of my instability causing me to lose a rib or two.

Hopefully the weather will hold up, and give me a sunny day or two to get some on-piste fun captured.

Where did you order the canvas? You'll have to let us know if the quality is good - 'er indoors has asked me to shoot some lillies for a canvas for the spare room. Not sure I'm up to the job yet, but should be fun trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back