Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the build quality isn't amazing, and it has no adjustment dial, but otherwise looks pretty damn good

From what I see, it's more that they've used more plastic in the construction to keep the weight down, rather than the 'fit and finish' being below par.

Andy

No worries - haven't used it extensively yet but it seems to work a treat.

Thanks for the comments on the pics - I am very lucky in that respect I suppose. All these photos were taken within a few miles of my house. :)
By the way, as I understand it - the Olympus m4/3rds cameras are sort of poor value compared to the Panasonic ones at UK prices - ie the US prices of the GF1 etc are fairly similar to ours, but the Olympus ones are about £150 more over here than in the US. The EPL1 looks like a great deal to me at the US price, but not so much at the UK price.

Apparently the build quality isn't amazing, and it has no adjustment dial, but otherwise looks pretty damn good - they've nicked a few features off the GF1. :LOL:

That image is lovely too Graham! It must be nice to live near gorgeous scenery like that! We don't have an awful lot round this way!
Can I ask you if you shoot in RAW or jpeg, and have you done much processing on the images you have posted?
I agree with you about the prices. The GF1 does seem like value for money, but I had read about the Pen optional viewfinder being much better than the one for the GF1 (hence my question about the clearviewer as I do like putting a camera to my eye!). The other thing I've read is that noise (or lack of it) is better on the Pen series with them being able to go to much higher usable ISO's.
One of my main areas of interest is birds, insects, and wildlife in general, so I do shoot in low light often. However, as I understand it the GF1 has much faster AF than the Pen's which would also be of benefit with respect to birds etc.
I realise in terms of my interests, I would be better sticking with my Canon set up, but I do find myself leaving it at home more often these days because of weight issues.
So I am in a bit of a dilemma as I would like to see a m4/3rds with features of both the GF1 and Pens!
Probabaly a case of I'm never satisfied! ;)
Marcia

Thanks - yup it is beautiful around here. You get a bit spoiled when you grow up round here and take it for granted a little but it is pretty amazing.

I have done a reasonable amount of messing in lightroom - I tend to use grad brightness filters quite a bit, and I've probably upped the contrast I think.

You can see the original with horribly blown highlights here :LOL:

20100227-P1030459-1.jpg

Bit of a tricky one I guess with your interests - no fast zoom at the mo for M 4/3rds and if they bring one out I bet it will be pricy. You can get some old fast prime telephoto lenses that work with adaptors for not too much - but no AF.

The low light/high ISO performance is the one weak area of the GF1 really, though it's great compared to a compact obviously.

No way you can keep the Canon AND get a M4/3rds camera? :)

I have done a reasonable amount of messing in lightroom - I tend to use grad brightness filters quite a bit, and I've probably upped the contrast I think.

Need to have a play with the Grad filters bit in LR, might be time to, dare we say it, "buy a good book?"

Any one found a decent not overly expensive Circular Polariser for the GF1?
Ive got my Cokin P mount stuff with a nice Kood CPL but me thinks its a bit on the big side and unless i sell a kidney/one of the kids, the Lee's filter kit for the GF1 is out of the question.

Thanks - yup it is beautiful around here. You get a bit spoiled when you grow up round here and take it for granted a little but it is pretty amazing.

Bit of a tricky one I guess with your interests - no fast zoom at the mo for M 4/3rds and if they bring one out I bet it will be pricy. You can get some old fast prime telephoto lenses that work with adaptors for not too much - but no AF.

The low light/high ISO performance is the one weak area of the GF1 really, though it's great compared to a compact obviously.

No way you can keep the Canon AND get a M4/3rds camera? :)

Dare I ask where you live!
I'm afraid I don't do much post processing myself. I have Elements 6 but I don't seem to ever get round to trying to learn how to use it properly - no disciplne, that's my problem! :LOL:
I see Panasonic are bringing out a m4/3rds 100-300mm, but not sure what the cost will be, but as you say probably pricey!
Well unless I win the lottery (which is unlikely as I never buy a ticket :)) the Canon would have to go.
I have a lot to think about don't I?
Thank you for all your help Graham
Marcia

Had a play around with the GF1 using a Nikon SB-900 flash last night - on the hotshoe. Some interesting results, at least on the LCD (for some reason, my card reader is not letting me pull the images off today!).

Got me thinking about a dedicated flash for the GF1 - a bit more in keeping size wise. Has anyone used one? Does it offer TTL of any kind - I was using the SB-900 in manual mode to get it to fire.

Cheers, Mark

Dare I ask where you live!
I'm afraid I don't do much post processing myself. I have Elements 6 but I don't seem to ever get round to trying to learn how to use it properly - no disciplne, that's my problem! :LOL:
I see Panasonic are bringing out a m4/3rds 100-300mm, but not sure what the cost will be, but as you say probably pricey!
Well unless I win the lottery (which is unlikely as I never buy a ticket :)) the Canon would have to go.
I have a lot to think about don't I?
Thank you for all your help Graham
Marcia

Oh and I think I forgot to answer - I do mostly shoot in RAW. Seems to give you more to play with when messing about in Lightroom. I really rate LR by the way - it's very easy to use but very powerful imo.

No probs - hope I can help convert another one to our cult. :p

Hi

Just a question reagrding the GF1 as i'm quite interested especailly after this weeks photography or lack off shall i say.

Two problems i had this week with my 6 year old zoom camera

1) Low / varying light. Was in a museum and there was no flash photography allowed and the lighting varied. Found my camera useless, not that expected much considering it's age. Just wondered if anyone used GF1 in similar situation and got any results they don't have to be the best as long as you got an image so to say.

2) How well does the screen handle in bright sunlight when taking a picture i'm not super picky i'm sure it will be better then the 2 inch screen, but just thought if anyone has experince of that too

Oh and I think I forgot to answer - I do mostly shoot in RAW. Seems to give you more to play with when messing about in Lightroom. I really rate LR by the way - it's very easy to use but very powerful imo.

Totally agree about shooting in RAW and using Lightroom - it's a very powerful combination!

There's a guy on the DPReview forums who has developed a custom Lightroom profile for the GF1 - and it's excellent.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=34578116&page=1

I've been following this thread with interest and on the back of it bought the GF1 at Christmas. I have also now bought a 'skin', bag, spare battery and am awaiting an adapter in order to try out some old lenses I have acquired.
Like some on this forum, the weight of my D90 was becoming a problem on lengthy days out and I was longing for a small camera of decent quality that was affordable. When I started reading this forum I was sceptical but decided to take the plunge and have not been disappointed. With the 20mm lens, it is an ideal size for me and I just wanted to say thanks to all who have taken the time to post their views on the GF1 and associated accessories - you have been more than a little helpful.
I don't post many images but here are three recent ones to show what I'm managing to get out of the GF1 so far.

pilotstation0347.jpg

fishontrays.jpg

Archesbysands.jpg

Thanks for letting us see some of your pics on the GF1`

I sold my D90 and lenses and bought the GF1 , best thing I ever did.......well pleased with the GF1 and 3 lenses, was only going to have the 20mm BUT the proceeds from my D90 sale burnt a hole in my pocket:LOL:

I've had a GF1 for a few months now and really like it a lot. It's perfect for me as it offers full manual control and the feel of an SLR but in a pocket-friendly size. I've still only got the 20mm but am debating getting a few more lenses for it. Any first-hand thoughts on their range would be appreciated!

I reviewed it on my blog shortly after getting it..

http://www.leonneal.com/blog/2009/11/03/dont-tell-my-d3-but-im-having-an-affair/

Cheers!

All hail the KING of 4/3 cameras!!

I love mine to deaf! :D

pardon!

Hi

Just a question reagrding the GF1 as i'm quite interested especailly after this weeks photography or lack off shall i say.

Two problems i had this week with my 6 year old zoom camera

1) Low / varying light...

2) How well does the screen handle in bright sunlight...

Hello Nadeem,

1) I've used my GF1 a few times indoors but not in a museum, although the light levels I've used mine in a probably a little worse than you'd get in a museum, and I'm quite happy with the results. My advice is to select auto ISO and just get on with it.

2) Sadly we haven't had too much bright sunlight where I live recently but the last time I used my GF1 on a sunny day I didn't notice any problems at all.

Pardon me for sounding like a noob, but I'm getting a little bit confused.

I've been looking into the GF1 and it seems like a lot of people are asking for a fast 50mm lens. Now I understand the appeal of the "nifty-fifty", but surely with the 2.0 crop factor of the micro four-thirds sensor what most people want is actually a fast 25mm? Likewise with the Lumix 7-14mm, which would actually be a 14-28mm lens. Or am missing something?

Ta much. :)

You are right.

With the x2 "crop" the 20mm pancake is like a 40mm but some people would like something longer.

For portraiture, the supposed perfect length is around the 85mm mark, hence a lot of fast 85mm being on the market over the years. A 50mm on the GF1 would make a decent 100mm which would be pretty sweet. My wish is for more compact fast lenses. Currently sat in Terminal 5 and have just tried the 40-200mm but it's huge. Defeats the point of the slim size of the camera. More primes please, Panasonic!

For portraiture, the supposed perfect length is around the 85mm mark, hence a lot of fast 85mm being on the market over the years. A 50mm on the GF1 would make a decent 100mm which would be pretty sweet. My wish is for more compact fast lenses. Currently sat in Terminal 5 and have just tried the 40-200mm but it's huge. Defeats the point of the slim size of the camera. More primes please, Panasonic!

The 85mm is perceived as being the best focal length for studio work yes, but I think the desire for a fast 40-50mm prime is more to emulate of the more popular rangefinder lens pairings. Certainly, that's why I'm looking for one, not only for portraits but also as that focal length compliments the 20mm well.

The 85mm is perceived as being the best focal length for studio work yes, but I think the desire for a fast 40-50mm prime is more to emulate of the more popular rangefinder lens pairings. Certainly, that's why I'm looking for one, not only for portraits but also as that focal length compliments the 20mm well.

Wouldn't you want a 20mm or 25mm then? I mean, the GF1 sensor has 2.0 crop factor meaning a 20mm is a 40mm and a 25mm is a 50mm full frame equivalent. eg. a 25mm on a GF1 would be equivalent to the popular 50mm Leica M9 combo. That's where my confusion is coming from.

If a native 50mm came out that would be a 100mm on this camera, causing it to be almost telephoto.

Last edited:
My Bessa R has a 35mm, my Canonet is 45mm and my Trip is 40mm so 20mm on the GF1 seems pretty much spot on to me.

Wouldn't you want a 20mm or 25mm then? I mean, the GF1 sensor has 2.0 crop factor meaning a 20mm is a 40mm and a 25mm is a 50mm full frame equivalent. eg. a 25mm on a GF1 would be equivalent to the popular 50mm Leica M9 combo. That's where my confusion is coming from.

If a native 50mm came out that would be a 100mm on this camera, causing it to be almost telephoto.

I think you've missed the point, I have got the 20mm, which equates to the field of view of 40mm in 35mm terms (standar lens). The 40-50mm lens equates to the 90mm lens would often be paired with a standard lens.

I think you've missed the point, I have got the 20mm, which equates to the field of view of 40mm in 35mm terms (standar lens). The 40-50mm lens equates to the 90mm lens would often be paired with a standard lens.

...which is a nice sort of short portrait length... (hence a lot of 35mm-frame 85mm and 100mm lenses around).

I like playing with the old manual lenses - plus they are very compact (particularly the old OM Zuikos). The 50/1.4 is a good performer or get the 50/1.8 if money is tight...

Andy

If you want it for standard 85mm portrait work, then fair enough.

But I keep seeing posts about people wanting a nice fast 50mm. I'm wondering if they actually do want this (For portrait work, for example, but wouldn't a 40 or 45mm prime be better?) or if they're failing to take the 2.0 crop factor into account and thinking it's a "nifty fifty". Or is the standard 20mm pancake close enough to a nifty fifty for most people?

Maybe I'm just reading the posts wrong?

Question for people using adapted lenses. Do you use full manual mode or is it possible to select aperture on the lens then match the aperture in 'A' mode and let the camera do the rest?

Anyone using the Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8?

If you want it for standard 85mm portrait work, then fair enough.

85mm is only a standard for portraits in the studio and the GF1 isn't a studio camera.

if they actually do want this (For portrait work, for example, but wouldn't a 40 or 45mm prime be better?) or if they're failing to take the 2.0 crop factor into account and thinking it's a "nifty fifty". Or is the standard 20mm pancake close enough to a nifty fifty for most people?

80 or 90mm is no better for portraiture than 100mm. Any lens around the 40-50mm range will do for me provided it is fast and has AF.

The 20mm lens is actually closer to being a standard lens on MFT than 50mm is on 35mm/FX sensors.

Maybe I'm just reading the posts wrong?

Maybe, but sounds like you think 85mm is the best focal length for portraits (it isn't, there is no best) and that 50mm wouldn't be any good on an MFT body.

Question for people using adapted lenses. Do you use full manual mode or is it possible to select aperture on the lens then match the aperture in 'A' mode and let the camera do the rest?

No, you need to do stop down metering on the camera by adjusting the shutter speed on the camera & the aperture on the lens.

The 20mm lens is actually closer to being a standard lens on MFT than 50mm is on 35mm/FX sensors.

I know this, I'm simply wondering if people are forgetting this when they talk about this camera/lens combination. Either that or there are more people doing portrait work than I thought!

No, you need to do stop down metering on the camera by adjusting the shutter speed on the camera & the aperture on the lens.

Unless I am misunderstanding, this isn't right. I used the GF1 in Aperture priority mode with an M42 lens + adaptor last night and the camera adjusts shutter speed for you no problem.

I know this, I'm simply wondering if people are forgetting this when they talk about this camera/lens combination. Either that or there are more people doing portrait work than I thought!

My interest in 50mm lenses on the GF1 is mostly for gig photography, not portraits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by B1rty

Why do people make things so complicated............it confuses me.

I agree Graham , its simplicity itself as you suggest.

Originally Posted by NorthernNikon

85mm is only a standard for portraits in the studio and the GF1 isn't a studio camera.

Apart from sounding like Mose's descending from the Mount that is complete rubbish.

Brian

Last edited:
Why do people make things so complicated............it confuses me.

I agree Graham , its simplicity itself as you suggest.

Originally Posted by NorthernNikon

Apart from sounding like Mose's descending from the Mount that is complete rubbish.

Brian

Dont think you can argue that the GF1 is a studio camera Brian.

Dont think you can argue that the GF1 is a studio camera Brian.

Well Richard, why not ? If I take a GF1 into a studio then it is a " Studio " camera. 85mm is the standard focal length for portraiture.........who say's so, and what format ? Surely it's not what you've got it's the way that you use it that counts.

Brian.

Well Richard, why not ? If I take a GF1 into a studio then it is a " Studio " camera. 85mm is the standard focal length for portraiture.........who say's so, and what format ? Surely it's not what you've got it's the way that you use it that counts.

Brian.

(y)

If all you do is portraiture, you would probably choose different kit. But the idea that studio photography only means 35mm-frame Canon or Nikon or Medium Format is nonsense.

Come on Brian, saying that the GF1 isn't a studio camera doesn't mean that you can't use it in a studio, but the GF1 isn't a studio camera.

Re the 85mm, you'll have to reread my posts because I'm saying, and have also said, that there is no standard lens for portraiture. The 85mm fallacy has come from the studio where the camera to subject distance often meant that the 85mm lens on a 35mm body was ideal for head shots ergo it being considered by some to be the 'standard' portraiture lens.

Now stop being so pedantic and go out and take some photographs. ;)

:crying:
Come on Brian, saying that the GF1 isn't a studio camera doesn't mean that you can't use it in a studio, but the GF1 isn't a studio camera.

Then please, if in terms of " Studio" we mean portraiture ,why not? Repetition is all very well but explanation would be more helpful. But of course you are right the GF1 is not a " Studio" camera, nor is a Nikon D3 whatever, neither fit the true definition .

the 85mm, you'll hav e to reread my posts because I'm saying, and have also said, that there is no standard lens for portraiture.

Oh please life is too short.

Then why write this?

Now stop being so pedantic

Why, you can't claim exclusive use.. ;)

Just looked at my profile, see there is a friends list, mine? Empty....I wonder why

But this post did get me thinking about digital cameras for studio work ( horrible word) All DSLRs are basically the same, put them on a tripod and squint. The best I have found is this.

frontview-001.jpg

The nearest thing to a digital Hasselblad without a mortgage. In fact it even looked like a 500cm with a speed grip, , and that Zeiss Vario Sonnar "T" star lens with an effective rage of 24-120mm and so smooth controls is too die for. The LCD swivels around including going into a waist level position atop the camera or anywhere else for that matter, it also provides a veritable control center in live mode. All that and the 21.5x14.4 CMOS sensor combined to really deliver the goods.

DPreview gave it a straight " Highly Recommended" and the result? It flopped, I bought mine for a measly £315 from Jessops. It just didn't sell, why? it didn't have the bells and whistles that serious amateur photographers have to have. But for studio work lovely.

And your not buying mine...

Brian

Last edited:
"Just looked at my profile, see there is a friends list, mine? Empty....I wonder why" :LOL:

At least you found the friend list Brian, that proves that you're at least getting the hang of this internet technology.

opps i've done it now some how i ended up in Mathers and asked for a GF1.........well waiting for the battery to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back