Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK well I couldn't stand it anymore and this afternoon I gave in and bought myself a GF1 + the 14-45mm lens +the viewfinder.:)

I've only taken a few shots indoors so far but I;m very impressed. The colours considering I took the shots late evening with no flash are IMHO outstanding.:clap:

Hopefully we will have some decent weather this week just to see what GF1 can do.

I now have to start saving for some extra lens.(y) Anybody want to buy a redundant D300s?;)

Well done Del.....Enjoy, and I'm sure you will.

I did a few comparison shots between my D300 and GF1, and there really isnt much in it. I am desperately hanging onto my D300 knowing if I sell it I will regret it, but, I'm really getting into the smaller cameras now so not so sure how long the Nikon will last. The lust after more and more expensive glass now seems to have gone, thank goodness!
Anyway, the GF1 is perfect for me and, after missing my longer zooms, I looked around for a long zoom compact and just bought a Samsung WB650. Very impressed ( must start a new thread) and so many gadgets and gizmos, I think the D300 is getting itself into its box now.
Never thought I'd a compact camera with GPS!

Allan

I was looking through this thread of fine images and thought to myself 'Why the hell am i selling my GF1?' I had a look at my finances and i can afford to still have the Canon 40D and a decent lens plus keep my Gf1! Ok it won't be 'L' glass but hey!

It's like a heavy weight of doubt has been lifted of my shoulders and i feel wonderful Yipeeee!

Just thought i would share! :wacky::LOL:

Yep I'm so glad I took it off sale. Phew!! :D It's going to be my little rangefinder type take anywhere / street photography camera. :nuts:

I got rid of my D90 and lenses and have no regrets at all, just ordered a nice new Crumpler Muffin 5500 Bag for my GF1 and 3 lenses.

I got rid of my D90 and lenses and have no regrets at all, just ordered a nice new Crumpler Muffin 5500 Bag for my GF1 and 3 lenses.

I have something similar. It will be a bit tight for the Canon 40D but the GF1 sits in there with plenty of room to breath. We gotta look after our babies now don't we!:LOL:

Glad to hear your keeping it andy, im sure if you had sold it you would have regretted it big time!

I was looking through this thread of fine images and thought to myself 'Why the hell am i selling my GF1?' I had a look at my finances and i can afford to still have the Canon 40D and a decent lens plus keep my Gf1! Ok it won't be 'L' glass but hey!

It's like a heavy weight of doubt has been lifted of my shoulders and i feel wonderful Yipeeee!

:)

Good move imo - does this mean the sale of the Hexanon 40mm is off though? :(

:)

Good move imo - does this mean the sale of the Hexanon 40mm is off though? :(

No it's yours mate, no worries. I'm going to concentrate on using the 20mm for that range of focal length...

HOWEVER...

If you decide to move it on i want 1st dibs! :D

Superb - just like me and my 7D !!

This little GF1 cast a spell on you don't it :clap::clap:

... And what really amazed me was the fine detail captured with the 20mm @ f/2.2.

P1010179-2_-3_crop.jpg

Nearly 2000 replies on this thread, just shows how popular the GF1 is.

Another one to the party...

That's excellent, nice one.

No it's yours mate, no worries. I'm going to concentrate on using the 20mm for that range of focal length...

HOWEVER...

If you decide to move it on i want 1st dibs! :D

Cool, thanks - and yes if I sell you will indeed get first dibs. I'm waiting on a 50mm 1.7 Hexanon which is meant to be pretty good too.

Last edited:
I continue to be impressed with the GF1.

The pictures can take quite a crop and the shadows, contrast and saturation can be boosted quite a bit without the picture deteriating too much.

This is a 200% crop of one of my Whitby shots (see post 1965) which has had the shadows, contrast and saturation boosted but no noise reduction. My Canon 20D can't match this...

Pz200.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one I took as I left work the other day, I just have to take it round everywhere with me these days

4520139665_212ac7d8ca.jpg

That's excellent, nice one.

Cool, thanks - and yes if I sell you will indeed get first dibs. I'm waiting on a 50mm 1.7 Hexanon which is meant to be pretty good too.

Cool and yes the Hex 50mm f1.7 is very nice but the f1.2 version is probably one of the best IQ lenses i have ever seen! Bloomin expensive though.

Hi peoples, not been on sit for ages, but Sandiman was telling me about the GF1 and this thread. I have a similar problem to Sandiman, camera/kit weighty and bulky, plus, because of this, one is less inclined to pick up the camera, low incentive . . . D90 or D40x, some heavy glass . . . even the cheap stuff is heavy:LOL:

One has been looking at compacts for a long time. I have an old Canon S50. Good in its day but these days its limited? The GF1 looks like the dogs swingers, not sure about the EVF? I think I like the idea of an 'animated screen'?

Have I read that an adaptor plate can be bought to fit almost any modern lens onto the micro 4/3 GF1, or was that the Olympus E range? If so do you loose 'auto function' with the adaptor? Got a Nikons 50mm f1.8 that I would like to keep, I know it will loose auto focus, but that no problem as I tend to use it in manual focus anyway? . . . old habits and all that:D

If I make the move, I will sell all DSLR kit, accept the 50mm if I can get an adaptor.

CJS

Hey young Cliff it is nice to see you again on here. :clap:

I know you can get adapters so you can use most if not all DSLR lens, though others will be able to give you more info than I can.:shrug:

One thing I can tell you for certain is if you do come over to the EVIL;) side you wont regret it.(y)

Well whose going to make the 2000th post on this thread?

Last edited:
CJS you can get adapters for most lens fittings - think the only one that will still allow auto focus (on some lenses) is the M4/3 to 4/3 adapter though.

Aperture priority mode works fine though so you just need to do aperture and focus manually, which I find quite satisfying.

2000 up? :)

Had a little phone around to day, GF1, trade some Nikon gear; D40x, D90, 18-200VRMkII, Sigma 10-20HSM. The general feeling, we cant get enough GF1's . . . offer silly (low) price on trade in or get picky, dont want this or that!

Not sure I want the D90, to go anyway its brand new . . .? Keep one foot in the DSLR camp with the D90/18-70mm combination and a 50mm + tubes for macro. Old habits die hard.

Thats OK I can wait or I might go eBay . . . they skim a lot of the top these days as well :puke: I really dont like being fleeced!

CJS

Last edited:
Had a little phone around to day, GF1, trade some Nikon gear; D40x, D90, 18-200VRMkII, Sigma 10-20HSM. The general feeling, we cant get enough GF1's . . . offer silly (low) price on trade in or get picky, dont want this or that!

Not sure I want the D90, to go anyway its brand new . . .? Keep one foot in the DSLR camp with the D90/18-70mm combination and a 50mm + tubes for macro. Old habits die hard.

Thats OK I can wait or I might go eBay . . . they skim a lot of the top these days as well :puke: I really dont like being fleeced!

CJS

If you can afford to, I would recommend keeping the DSLR body and an all-round lens to compliment the GF1

I had every intention of selling the 7D and the 5 lenses I accumulated, in the end I sold 4 of the lenses to fund the GF1 and kept the 17-85 on the 7D.

There WILL be occasions when you miss the DSLR - I'm glad I was lucky enough to afford to have both.

Not that I've used the 7D for a few weeks :bonk:

If you can afford to, I would recommend keeping the DSLR body and an all-round lens to compliment the GF1

I had every intention of selling the 7D and the 5 lenses I accumulated, in the end I sold 4 of the lenses to fund the GF1 and kept the 17-85 on the 7D.

There WILL be occasions when you miss the DSLR - I'm glad I was lucky enough to afford to have both.

Not that I've used the 7D for a few weeks :bonk:

Exactly my feeling, 'might need a DSLR'? Problem is, technically the D90 is the right body? but I prefer the D40x as a 'tool to use'?:LOL: In both cases I would keep the Nikon 18-70mm lens, its a 'cracker'. Most of my pictures in recent months have been with this lens or in the 28-100 FL.

The D40x is the least desirable body according to 'the street', but I find it a pleasure to use partnered with the 18-70mm, I even have a question mark over picture quality between the two bodies? . . . but thats for another thread.

CJS

Exactly my feeling, 'might need a DSLR'? Problem is, technically the D90 is the right body? but I prefer the D40x as a 'tool to use'?:LOL: In both cases I would keep the Nikon 18-70mm lens, its a 'cracker'. Most of my pictures in recent months have been with this lens or in the 28-100 FL.

The D40x is the least desirable body according to 'the street', but I find it a pleasure to use partnered with the 18-70mm, I even have a question mark over picture quality between the two bodies? . . . but thats for another thread.

CJS

Worth trying your D90 at a FL of 25mm (approx 32.5mm FF) and then compare the kit lens (14-45) with the same shot at 16mm. I think you will be shocked :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back