Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 3 week trip to Florida using just the GF1 and 20mm instead of all my Nikon kit. I have still got loads to go through but here are a couple...

Sanibel Island causeway at sunset

original.jpg

Siesta Key Sunset

original.jpg

Is that natural light Strax or have you had an HDR play?

Nice shots BTW

I wonder if you guys can give me some help regarding using older manual lenses on the GF1?

QUESTION 1.

I have a Canon FD50mm f1.4 lens with an adapter for the GF1. All fits and works fine.
On the adapter ring is a ring with an arrow pointing in each direction saying <lock/open>
I assumed this was to lock the adapter on the lens/body.

When I turn the aperture ring on the lens to F1.4 I get a nice shallow dof and when I turn it to F22 I get a wide dof, so far so good! Using Aperture priority the camera sets the shutter speed.. great.

TheN I noticed that when the lens was set at F22 and the ring on the adapter (lock/open) was turned, the lcd view went darker and the shutterspeed changed and the aperture was changing. (Actually it wasnt uniformly darker, as it was turned it went darker and lighter until settling at dark at the end of the turn of the ring) When the lens was set to f1.4 and the same thing with the lock/open was done, nothing changed.

Should I be using the aperture ring, the lock/open, both or none?? :D

Do others have these things and are they normal?

QUESTION 2!!

I have a Canon EOS adapter for the GF1 also.
As the EF lenses don't have aperture rings on.. how do you go about changing aperture on these or do you not?

Janice - the aperture ring on the Canon FD lens only works when the position is set to lock on the adapter. Do this then adjust aperture with the ring (either in manual or A). If the adapter is set to open then the lens will stay wide open too and you can't adjust aperture.

You won't be able to adjust aperture on a lens without a ring (unless you can set it on a Canon EOS camera and it stays there while you take it off and stick it on the GF1?)

Is that natural light Strax or have you had an HDR play?

Nice shots BTW

Natural light for both, single exposures & no hdr involved. The clouds have had a contrast tweak in the second one though.

However I did use my Lee 3 stop nd grad on both pics, which did look a bit funny as the Lee holder is longer than the camera!

Janice - the aperture ring on the Canon FD lens only works when the position is set to lock on the adapter. Do this then adjust aperture with the ring (either in manual or A). If the adapter is set to open then the lens will stay wide open too and you can't adjust aperture.

You won't be able to adjust aperture on a lens without a ring (unless you can set it on a Canon EOS camera and it stays there while you take it off and stick it on the GF1?)

Thanks Graham (y)

A quote before the edit, one of the simple joys of forum life. :LOL:

Catching up on the post processing of my 365. Taking the pics no problem, just cant face sitting in front of the pc and PP'ing them, hence why ive used the iphone a lot recently.

And with the onset of the hosepipe ban, the sun has gone to be replaced by nigh on continuos rain(not kidding either) so no IR and a slight bit of HDR.
Playing with B&W instead, LightRoom 3 has nice presets for B&W.

Or im forced to take pics of rain drops on the Freelanders bonnet.

4804487628_3a29f389e4.jpg

or kids toys that have been left on the trampoline cover.

Blimey, love those!!!

I have just got back from the Lake District and i took my new 550d with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and Canon 85mm f1.8 plus my GF1 with 20mm f1.7 and i must say that i was more pleased with the results of the Gf1 as well as the type of images i was taking. The GF1 was also very easy o take out where as the 550d was a bit of a pain.

Now looking to get a top lens for the GF1. Any ideas? What's the best quality zoom?

Cheers Grum/Andy.

Cant tell if the 1st one is too dark.
Looks fine at home, but then i run a Panatone Huey to calibrate my monitor.
Liking LR3 for processing, not keen on it converting the RAW's to DNG, but i can live with that.
Plus there is a Flickr uploader built into LR3 which may make life easier.
Holiday coming up next week, 2 weeks in the new forest.
Give the GF1 some work.
Hoping to get to Bovington Tank museum and possibly to Beaulieu Motor Museum.
Plus iPhone 4 has arrived, so can have a play with the 5mp camera on that.

Anyone got an external flash for their GF1 yet? Did you stick with the Pan/Oly flashes (DMW FL360E etc) or go for a third party that does TTL?

I got my GF1 back this morning, well actually I got a battery and charger after losing mine a while back.

So I got to try out the EVF for the first time. It really is pee poor isn't it. :LOL:

It will do the job and for those rare times that the light and shooting angles just wash out the screen, will be invaluable but Panasonic is that really the best you could do??

I got my GF1 back this morning, well actually I got a battery and charger after losing mine a while back.

So I got to try out the EVF for the first time. It really is pee poor isn't it. :LOL:

It will do the job and for those rare times that the light and shooting angles just wash out the screen, will be invaluable but Panasonic is that really the best you could do??

I'm curious how you managed to lose a battery and charger?

Nosey Old Sod arn't I

:LOL: it was just the charger I lost actually.

although saying it was a casualty of a situation would be more accuarate. :cautious:

Anyone got an external flash for their GF1 yet? Did you stick with the Pan/Oly flashes (DMW FL360E etc) or go for a third party that does TTL?

So no-one uses a flash with their GF1? The onboard is way too weak!

I've got a Metz 36AF that I bought off here for £40. Haven't used it much yet but it seems a lot better than the built in one - especially with an off camera extension cord and diffuser.

Some from today with the GF1 and 20 f1.7 pancake lens.
All clickable for larger size.

Hopefully back in the market for one of these given my fund raising in the classifieds. Love this camera, just allows you to take photos. Great.

Very nice Janice - I'm curious, how did you achieve the lighting in the picture with the carved tree, postprocessing?

Very nice Janice - I'm curious, how did you achieve the lighting in the picture with the carved tree, postprocessing?

yes, some Lightroom presets. :) I love those things! :D

In case anyone is looking to augment their lens collection, I have a brand new 14-42mm OIS lens for sale in the classifieds here. Came as part of a kit, and I won't use it. It's not even been mounted on the body, so is still wrapped etc.

Thanks Janice and Robb.

That's lovely KayJay - you really selling the 5D?

Went out biking again last night - this is the view looking back down the big hill we were slogging up. Definitely wouldn't have wanted to take anything bigger/heavier with me as it was enough of a struggle anyway!

4820213147_f27b356481_b.jpg

Last edited:
What a great pic Graham, worth the slog up the hill to take it !

Bet it was good going down !!!!!:LOL:

Thanks Janice and Robb.

That's lovely KayJay - you really selling the 5D?

Went out biking again last night - this is the view looking back down the big hill we were slogging up. Definitely wouldn't have wanted to take anything bigger/heavier with me as it was enough of a struggle anyway!

4820213147_f27b356481_b.jpg

That is gorgeous.

I'm using the GF1 more these days than the 5d2, even for assignments. Pretty crazy. I'm not entirely sure what to do with the 5d2. I might use it for film making but the GF1 really is one of the best bits of kit I've got for versatility.

What a great pic Graham, worth the slog up the hill to take it !

Bet it was good going down !!!!!:LOL:

I thought it was well worth it but I don't think my GF agreed :LOL:

That is gorgeous.

I'm using the GF1 more these days than the 5d2, even for assignments. Pretty crazy. I'm not entirely sure what to do with the 5d2. I might use it for film making but the GF1 really is one of the best bits of kit I've got for versatility.

Cheers - interesting to hear - I am thinking of going the other way and getting a 'pro' SLR (def not to replace the GF1 though) as I am starting to get some bits of paid work. Also would like better high ISO performance for gig stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back