Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dave - I took quite a few, here's a colour one for you :D

4782042085_8e2336f78f_b.jpg

OOh basghetti! (what my boys used to call it!) :D

Not more IR!!!

More of my 365 and my favourite church down in the village.
Up to at least 1 or 2 pics a month of the church. Should have a nice collection by the time the year is over.

Lovely photo. I just got a 720 filter and am having some trouble getting any decent results. Could you tell me what software you use and a rough idea of your workflow to achieve this result? Thanks.

Lovely photo. I just got a 720 filter and am having some trouble getting any decent results. Could you tell me what software you use and a rough idea of your workflow to achieve this result? Thanks.

first off you need to set the white balance.
Goto custom whitebalance and with the IR filter fitted, point at some brightly lit grass and use that for the whitebalance.

I shoot raw, export from LR as a Tif into CS3 then apply the action i posted a couple of pages back.
Save the Tif then re-import back into LR and tweak.

Hope that makes sense.

first off you need to set the white balance.
Goto custom whitebalance and with the IR filter fitted, point at some brightly lit grass and use that for the whitebalance.

I shoot raw, export from LR as a Tif into CS3 then apply the action i posted a couple of pages back.
Save the Tif then re-import back into LR and tweak.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for that, the problem is I don't have CS3, just Elements 6 so can't adjust the channels individually :(

Still waiting for my IR filter.

Went out to the coast today with Kaouthia off here.

4784089875_2b9ff6b168_b.jpg

Spot the big bird :)

Might be easier to see on this crop

4784746782_b5ea5d7245_b.jpg

Last edited:
Feel like I should contribute to this thread having had my GF1 for a while, here's a few from a trip to the coast this weekend

summertime%20004.jpg

summertime%20006.jpg

summertime%20001.jpg

summertime%20008.jpg

summertime%20009.jpg

Last edited:
There seems to be a little bit of something stuck to the end of your lens. :)

That last image is lovely, beautiful tones. What filter did you get and does it mount straight onto the 20mm?

It's the one linked to above in the thread somewhere - I'll dig it out tomorrow if you haven't found it. I got a 52mm one so would require a step up ring to use on the 20mm. Not sure if they do a 46mm one as well.

Oh, and thanks :)

A 3 week trip to Florida using just the GF1 and 20mm instead of all my Nikon kit. I have still got loads to go through but here are a couple...

Sanibel Island causeway at sunset

original.jpg

Siesta Key Sunset

original.jpg

Joined the party! Except, as proud keeper of the G1 thread, the GF1 is nominally for my wife [yeah.... where've we heard that one before...] and as my second body. Still, a G1/GF1 setup is an excellent combination, it seems on first impressions. I have a small camera bag, now containing 2 cameras and lenses from f/1.7 and 28-400mm, which weighs less than my gripped D80 did...

Just so you GF1-ers don't get any ideas...

Joined the party! Except, as proud keeper of the G1 thread, the GF1 is nominally for my wife [yeah.... where've we heard that one before...] and as my second body. Still, a G1/GF1 setup is an excellent combination, it seems on first impressions. I have a small camera bag, now containing 2 cameras and lenses from f/1.7 and 28-400mm, which weighs less than my gripped D80 did...

Just so you GF1-ers don't get any ideas...

Ahah, just as I get a G1, you get a GF1 (y)

Just wondering, does the GF-1 have a 'shutter sound' (there's no mirror in there to clunk, so I assume that it could be almost silent) :shrug:? If it has an electronic sound, can that be switched off?

The only use that I can think of (for me) for one of these cameras would be up-close, candid street photography. I find that almost impossible with my DSLRs, as by the time I've put the camera to eye and selected the right focus point, I'm always looking at image of an irate member of the public staring back at me through the viewfinder :D. If I could get away with holding a camera at waist level, selecting 'face recognition AF' and snapping away without being heard, I reckon that I could get a lot more natural and interesting captures of people, in quieter surroundings than simply out on the street :|.

At 570GBP, it's mildly tempting :naughty:.

^^ Read post 2675 above you'll find it's cheaper then £570.00 closer to £516 if you take all offers as mentioned in the link

^^ Read post 2675 above you'll find it's cheaper then £570.00 closer to £516 if you take all offers as mentioned in the link

Sorry, I have a cold, so I read "five sixteen" as "five sixty" and added ten quid for postage :|.

;)

PS, sanibel's one of my favourite places along the Gulf coast. Any sign of the oil problems?

Not at all. The oil has only come ashore at Pensacola iirc, which is a few hundred miles up the coast.

Just wondering, does the GF-1 have a 'shutter sound' (there's no mirror in there to clunk, so I assume that it could be almost silent) :shrug:?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QujX0AAqeE&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QujX0AAqeE&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QujX0AAqeE&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QujX0AAqeE&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for that Graham, but I have no sound on my PC at work, so I'll have to try it again later :shrug:. Obviously it does have a shutter noise though, judging by the title of the clip. Amazing, the stuff that people post on You Tube :p.

it sound a little like a cross between a cat sneezing and a stapler. it's unlikely to be heard much in a street environment i'd have thought.

My IR workflow is Lightroom to Gimp. I've 'only' got Elements as well so use Gimp for the channel mixer part of the PP.
Look up "Grants Tools" for a free add-on to Elements that adds a channel mixer, along with layer masks and curves.

I'd also recommend Elements+ which is an inexpensive add on which adds even more functionality to bring Elements within a hairs breadth of the full monty.

I use these to do my colour IR swaps and layer masks all the time.

it sound a little like a cross between a cat sneezing and a stapler. it's unlikely to be heard much in a street environment i'd have thought.

Thanks for that Darren (y), that's what I wanted to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back