Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed reading your review too but if I may be allowed a very small nit-pick; the front element on the 7-14mm lens is convex, not concave.

All,
Been really inspired by a lot of the images posted on this thread and also the official GF1 photo thread. What I would like to know is what kit have you got that you use with the GF1..?

I'm interested in tripod i.e. Gorillapod..?

Filters i.e. ND etc..?

Done a search on Google and it looks like a good choice for the Gorillapod is the SLR one..?

Also this one is for Grum.... What is the chance I could spend some time with you and learn a bit from you..?

Mark

Why is it if you use the quick reply it double posts..?

Last edited:
Hi mate,
I was asking if I could meet you because your not to far away and the images I have seen you post are what I am into, but never had a go at.

It wouldn't be this weekend anyway, maybe KW34 / 35. I'm off for 2 weeks as my girlfriend is taking our little boy over to Germany to see her parents.

Can I ask if the Gorillapod is the one you use and how come you have 2..?

If you recommend this I might be interested. What do you use to fix to the body>

Many thanks

Mark

What's KW34/35? :thinking:

The gorillapod is the same as the one I use, but I bought the one I'm selling from gadgetbuyers. Found out afterwards they don't have the best rep. It took ages to come and they didn't respond to emails so in the meantime I ordered another one from elsewhere, thinking I would have to get a credit card refund. It did eventually turn up though.

If you read far enough back in the thread though I think you'll see that the one I ordered instead is a cheaper Hong Kong copy essentially - also took ages to come but I've not had any problems with it. There is a screw thread on the end that will screw into the bottom of the GF1, but it works much better with a ball head like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3D-TRIPOD-BAL...odsSupports&hash=item3a5d82b279#ht_500wt_1154

KW = calendar week. So this week is KW32. 52 weeks in a year. Sorry, I deal with time this way at work so my life now works around it.
KW34 is the week beginning September 23rd.

Would you be up for a possible meet, somewhere with either a lake or waterfall and you could teach me the long exposure?

Mark

I am interested in the Gorillapod and replied on the sale thread.

Thanks David. I am inclined to say that RSMarco can have it if he is willing to pay the asking price (as he expressed an interest first), otherwise I would sell it to you. Does this seem fair? :shrug:

Thanks David. I am inclined to say that RSMarco can have it if he is willing to pay the asking price (as he expressed an interest first), otherwise I would sell it to you. Does this seem fair? :shrug:

It is fair enough mate but I was keeping my attention on the actual post as it seems the negotiations are on here.

Will this fit directly to the GF1 as it is..?

If so, I'll have it and can BT if you prefer..?

Mark

If any of you have wanted the Panasonic black and red bag for the gf1 and a lens or two it is normally in the £60-70 range. I have seen it at £27 at Mathers, but Park Cameras have it at £9.99!
http://www.parkcameras.com/12907/Panasonic-Black-Soft-Bag-DMW-BAG1-for-Lumix-G-Micro-system.html

Hey thanks for posting that Janice.

I ordered one from Park Cameras yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning.(y)

Described as a "soft bag" and though it's softer than most camera bags it isn't to soft IMHO.

It hold my G2 with the 14-45mm lens attached + the 45-200mm + a Konica Hexanon AR 50 mm / F1.7 +2 sets of close up lens (52 and 58mm) all in the main compartment. The front and back pockets hold a few odds and ends. All this and it is not at all bulky.:)

The only real downside as far as I am concerned is it is not waterproof and does not come with a waterproof cover. Still can't have everything can we.;)

Last edited:
How do you update the firmware on the GF1. It might be me but couldn't find anything telling me how to last night. I'm on a mac by the way.

Any recommendations on ND filters / kits etc for a newbie..?

I am tempted by that case too for a tenner.

How are you getting on with the Konica lens Sandiman?

I have not been able to use it (or any other lens) for a while as the boss (Mrs) is not in the best of health these days so I am not really able to leave her on her own. The dog is getting fed up with me telling him to stay while I take his photo. The Mrs. is now on new pain relief medication so fingers crossed she will be able to get around better soon.

What use I have had with the Konika is IMHO really good, I'm very pleased with it. Thanks for putting me on to it Graham.:clap:

100% fair mate.....

The gorillapod is the same as the one I use, but I bought the one I'm selling from gadgetbuyers. Found out afterwards they don't have the best rep. It took ages to come and they didn't respond to emails so in the meantime I ordered another one from elsewhere, thinking I would have to get a credit card refund. It did eventually turn up though.

If you read far enough back in the thread though I think you'll see that the one I ordered instead is a cheaper Hong Kong copy essentially - also took ages to come but I've not had any problems with it. There is a screw thread on the end that will screw into the bottom of the GF1, but it works much better with a ball head like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3D-TRIPOD-BAL...odsSupports&hash=item3a5d82b279#ht_500wt_1154

This is very cheap Graham, does it work ok ?

For what it's worth I think you have chosen very wisely indeed. I sold all my canon gear (a few L lenses and a 700D and 20D) which pretty much funded a Leica M7 with a 50mm f2 Summicron.

The GF1 fits in with M lenses vey nicely thanks to the M mount adaptor. I now have 3 Leica lenses a couple of CV ones and the f1.7 pancake lens which is so underestimated by people who compare it to the average Kit lenses.

Of course the GF1 doubles the focal length of M lenses but this is a price I'm willing to pay for Leica M quality without shelling out £5k for the M9.

The GF1 is a wonderful camera for hobbyists and occasional pro shooters such as myself. The quality of the images is very impressive and my pictures are far sharper than they ever where with the notoriously soft Canon gear.

In short, I haven't looked back.

I have a set or two on flickr if you'd like to see the kind of results I'm getting, the link is under my signature.

Paul

Can you let me know what you think to this image. Introducing my little son, Joshua :)

4882564915_8078f2bb6b_z.jpg

Just some basic editing in iPhoto for now.

Mark

Hey thanks for posting that Janice.

I ordered one from Park Cameras yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning.(y)

Described as a "soft bag" and though it's softer than most camera bags it isn't to soft IMHO.

It hold my G2 with the 14-45mm lens attached + the 45-200mm + a Konica Hexanon AR 50 mm / F1.7 +2 sets of close up lens (52 and 58mm) all in the main compartment. The front and back pockets hold a few odds and ends. All this and it is not at all bulky.:)

The only real downside as far as I am concerned is it is not waterproof and does not come with a waterproof cover. Still can't have everything can we.;)

I actually ordered one while I was thinking of buying a GF1, not sure I will use it though as I am thinking it looks a bit too "girly" for me, it looks more like a make-up bag:D

The GF1 and 20mm arrives tomorrow:)

Ordered one of these Graham and the Gorrillapod from Amazon 2 quid more than yours sold for.

Can you let me know what you think to this image. Introducing my little son, Joshua :)

4882564915_8078f2bb6b_z.jpg

Just some basic editing in iPhoto for now.

Mark

Nice sharp pic, but I just don't like Black & White

Started off in school just B & W then along came colour and that was it for me.

I actually ordered one while I was thinking of buying a GF1, not sure I will use it though as I am thinking it looks a bit too "girly" for me, it looks more like a make-up bag:D

The GF1 and 20mm arrives tomorrow:)

The less it looks like a camera bag the less chance of some toerag trying to nick it.;):)

For what it's worth I think you have chosen very wisely indeed. I sold all my canon gear (a few L lenses and a 700D and 20D) which pretty much funded a Leica M7 with a 50mm f2 Summicron.

The GF1 fits in with M lenses vey nicely thanks to the M mount adaptor. I now have 3 Leica lenses a couple of CV ones and the f1.7 pancake lens which is so underestimated by people who compare it to the average Kit lenses.

Of course the GF1 doubles the focal length of M lenses but this is a price I'm willing to pay for Leica M quality without shelling out £5k for the M9.

The GF1 is a wonderful camera for hobbyists and occasional pro shooters such as myself. The quality of the images is very impressive and my pictures are far sharper than they ever where with the notoriously soft Canon gear.

In short, I haven't looked back.

I have a set or two on flickr if you'd like to see the kind of results I'm getting, the link is under my signature.

Paul

I'v just looked at your GF1 Flickr sets, very nice work(y)

Not into buying all the old lenses, however I have a G1 + 14-45, which I am impressed with. Still hanging onto my basic Nikon gear . . . it will be like pulling teeth, when/if I sell it . . . :thinking:

CJS

Last edited:
If any of you have wanted the Panasonic black and red bag for the gf1 and a lens or two it is normally in the £60-70 range. I have seen it at £27 at Mathers, but Park Cameras have it at £9.99!
http://www.parkcameras.com/12907/Panasonic-Black-Soft-Bag-DMW-BAG1-for-Lumix-G-Micro-system.html

I'm broken hearted and kicking everything in sight, I bought one of these some while back from Warehouse Express and paid £59.99:puke: :bang::bang:

Didn't like it and was going to sell it now I'll be lucky to get fiver for it.

Using it for indoor store now, now I will know where everything for my two cameras is......or will I ??:shake:

These really are such a nice pocket sized piece of kit, they tempt the hell out of me now and then :)

Didn't like it and was going to sell it now I'll be lucky to get fiver for it.

Just wait 'til a while after the offer is finished or they run out then stick it on ebay :)

BTW the ball head works fine - it's not the most amazing quality but it's decent for the price.

RSMarco - I like the pic but maybe try shooting with the light from the window behind instead? The blown highlights through the window are a little distracting. Nice pic though, looks pretty sharp.

Just wait 'til a while after the offer is finished or they run out then stick it on ebay :)

BTW the ball head works fine - it's not the most amazing quality but it's decent for the price.

RSMarco - I like the pic but maybe try shooting with the light from the window behind instead? The blown highlights through the window are a little distracting. Nice pic though, looks pretty sharp.

I agree with you but just wanted someone else to comment. As you can imagine everything is attempted at a very fast pace with little ones..lol

Most of the images were blured as I couldn't freeze him without being under exposed.

Well I've just bought a GF1 + 20mm pancake. Hopefully should get it Saturday!

Will be needing a 14-45mm in the next month but the 20mm is the lens I wanted.

A few pics from holiday in the New Forest.

I soooooo want this car :eek::eek::eek::eek:

And just for comparison, why im loving my iPhone 4 so much.
Seem to shot with this more than anything at the moment, apart from doing IR.

4885608159_d7859e80e3.jpg

GF1 and an iphone 4? perfect combination.
(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back