Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
GF1 and an iphone 4? perfect combination.
(y)

Yep, the 5mp camera on iPhone 4 is brilliant and ive got loads of camera apps for it, best being Camera+ Pro(which has just been withdrawn from app store as the Dev's had put in an easter egg that lets you use volume controls as a shutter release.)

Plus both shoot HD video in 720p. Need to get more into movie stuff plus get some more lenses.

Well, the decision is made.....

....I am selling my Canon gear - all of it, every last bit and moving exclusively to the M4/3 format. Despite the limitations, I'm just not keen on keeping £1500 worth of camera equipment in the cupboard for occasional snap

Will be listing the gear on here later and probably putting on fleabay

Well, the decision is made.....

....I am selling my Canon gear - all of it, every last bit and moving exclusively to the M4/3 format. Despite the limitations, I'm just not keen on keeping £1500 worth of camera equipment in the cupboard for occasional snap

Will be listing the gear on here later and probably putting on fleabay

That's how I felt. I couldn't justify having kit sit there doing nothing and I believe my decision to learn / progress with this camera was a good choice.

Maybe one day I will progress onto DSLR kit again..!

That's how I felt. I couldn't justify having kit sit there doing nothing and I believe my decision to learn / progress with this camera was a good choice.

Maybe one day I will progress onto DSLR kit again..!

I was missing my dSLR on holiday, mainly for reach. But until they bring out a left handed dSLR i shall keep with the GF1

I'm amazed that anyone would have considered paying £60-70 for that bag! A tenner is passable, but then adding £5 P+P is getting close to the mark imo for that monstrosity!

Anyone looking a for bag that will last, is waterproof, and best of british should get a Billingham Hadley Digital. If you hunt around it can be had for considerably less than some places are asking for it. Holds my G2, 20mm, 45mm and 14-42 plus bits and bobs very nicely. Make sure you get a shoulder pad too though. Twas equally as suitable for the GF1.

Gosh that is a big decision Alan but I can understand.

I'm keeping my DSLR and film SLR because I like using them but I am selling my Bessa and probably my Trip too. I gave my Canonet to my neice so the plan is on the film side to just keep my SLR, one compact and my first ever camera.

Last edited:
Gosh that is a big decision Alan but I can understand.

I'm keeping my DSLR and film SLR because I like using them but I am selling my Bessa and probably my Trip too. I gave my Canonet to my neice so the plan is on the film side to just keep my SLR, one compact and my first ever camera.

Sure it probably is Woof, but to be honest unless I actually do it I will be doing my own head in for the next 6 months - just like the last 6 :bang:

Can always buy another one some day

The deed is done

Last edited:
Anyone here actually used the Olympus 9-18mm M4/3 mount lens on a GF1 or G1?

Once my 7D sells, I will probably go for one of these - half the price of the 7-14mm Panny.

Nope but I'd be interested to know what it's like.

I would love to take that 7d off you for that price Alan but no cash right now - got some coming through but I'm not sure when yet.

Nope but I'd be interested to know what it's like.

I would love to take that 7d off you for that price Alan but no cash right now - got some coming through but I'm not sure when yet.

I think someone was using the 4/3 version with an adapter but I'd much rather buy the proper m4/3 version.

Sorry Graham don't do installments :crying::crying:

Good luck with the sale mate. Would be interesting to see peoples thoughts and images with this lens.

Good luck with the sale mate. Would be interesting to see peoples thoughts and images with this lens.

Thanks, have sold the flash and possibly the Sigma 10-20 - just got the 7D and 17-85 left now :LOL:

There is a Flickr group for the Oly 9-18mm M.Zuiko Lens (the m4/3 version)

There is also a Flickr group for the Oly 9-18mm Zuiko Lens (4/3 version and an adapter is needed for the GF1/G1)

4/3 version is approx £400, the proper M4/3 version (imporved focusing and more compact design) is approx £500 - a whopping £500 quid cheaper than the Panny 7-14mm

Some good images on the m4/3 group but I do ask myself can you achieve them with the 20mm..?

Price wise it's a no brainer over the Panasonic version.

Yay, I am now a GF1 owner, and what a cracking camera it is.

Here is pretty much my first shot

4890882590_fb99a9f3d9_o.jpg

I LOVE this 20mm F1.7

Yay, I am now a GF1 owner, and what a cracking camera it is.

Here is pretty much my first shot

4890882590_fb99a9f3d9_o.jpg

I LOVE this 20mm F1.7

Congrats mate on the sale.

Let us know what you find out on the 9-18.

I have been looking into getting this camera but been torn between this GF1 and the Sony NEX 5 when ever I go into Jacobs or Jessops they all keep saying I should get the Sony NEX 5 as it a better camera and cheaper... But I seem to want the GF1...

I have been looking into getting this camera but been torn between this GF1 and the Sony NEX 5 when ever I go into Jacobs or Jessops they all keep saying I should get the Sony NEX 5 as it a better camera and cheaper... But I seem to want the GF1...

I have read up extensively on both cameras for the past fortnight and decided that the GF1 was the better photographers camera. The controls are more thought out and it is much easier to change the settings you actually need.

The sony will be fine if you don't really want to venture outside the scene modes but one review I read indicated something as simple as setting the ISO was buried within the menus.

I have read up extensively on both cameras for the past fortnight and decided that the GF1 was the better photographers camera. The controls are more thought out and it is much easier to change the settings you actually need.

The sony will be fine if you don't really want to venture outside the scene modes but one review I read indicated something as simple as setting the ISO was buried within the menus.

I was told that with the sony i can easily control anything when in either Aperture or Shutter speed mode aswell as Manual Mode... It just that it done a bit differently... But am told the sony image quality is better but I;ve yet to see proof. But what you guys doing with your GF1 are brill

Also where the best price for the Panasonic GF1 Kit that contain both lens

Very good prices there are they open tmr?

Also does anyone know if I can use a canon lens on this if so what range? and how much adaptors?

Also where the best price for the Panasonic GF1 Kit that contain both lens

I bought mine from Mathers, this very kit. Get it soon to qualify for the 3 years warranty and £30 cash back.

Good service from them but remember the promotion in on picking it up from the store as you have to have a demo acording to the Panasonic rules.
(y)

I bought mine from Mathers, this very kit. Get it soon to qualify for the 3 years warranty and £30 cash back.

Good service from them but remember the promotion in on picking it up from the store as you have to have a demo acording to the Panasonic rules.
(y)

Are they open on a Sunday?

you can use canon fd lenses but have to use the aperture ring instead of auttomatically having it done on the camera. and also it will only be manual focus. some good deals out there though.

adapters on ebay about £20ish

ive given you a link.. go to their home page and see if there are opening times.. or a contact page or something :)

Just looked hmm not open tmr

Well I checked the link for you and no they are not apparently.

Depends where you are really. I'd phone them and ask if they can do the promotion through mail order as all it is, is a signed Panasonic order form which they could include in the parcel..?

Has anyone used or uses the Lee Filter Rf kit..?

Looks good but is expensive.

On this camera are there on Focus Dot that we can use to focus on a objects or is it all auto like a digital compact... Like on our Canon 40d there 9 focus dot and I can set to just use the middle dot so i focus on something and compose before taking picture

Yes mate there are different focus options. Your referring to 1 area focus point.

Item Effect
[š]: Face detection
[ ]: AF Tracking
[ ]: 23-area-focusing
[Ø]: 1-area-focusing
The camera automatically detects the person’s face. The focus and exposure can then be adjusted to fit that face no matter what portion of the picture it is in. (max. 15 areas)
Focus and exposure can be adjusted to a specified subject. Focus and exposure will keep on following the subject even if it moves. (Dynamic tracking)
Up to 23 points for each AF area can be focused. This is effective when the subject is not in the center of the screen. (AF area frame will be same as image aspect ratio setting)
The camera focuses on the subject in the AF area on the screen. Position and size of the AF area can be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back