Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes mate there are different focus options. Your referring to 1 area focus point.

Item Effect
[š]: Face detection
[ ]: AF Tracking
[ ]: 23-area-focusing
[Ø]: 1-area-focusing
The camera automatically detects the person’s face. The focus and exposure can then be adjusted to fit that face no matter what portion of the picture it is in. (max. 15 areas)
Focus and exposure can be adjusted to a specified subject. Focus and exposure will keep on following the subject even if it moves. (Dynamic tracking)
Up to 23 points for each AF area can be focused. This is effective when the subject is not in the center of the screen. (AF area frame will be same as image aspect ratio setting)
The camera focuses on the subject in the AF area on the screen. Position and size of the AF area can be changed.

I am not getting very tempted by this now.. Now I need to see what the sony can do

Has anyone used or uses the Lee Filter Rf kit..?

Looks good but is expensive.

never mind the RF kit, just use the standard Lee kit....

original.jpg

never mind the RF kit, just use the standard Lee kit....

original.jpg

What!!!!!!!!! We can use our Lee Filter on this GF1 I have a Full size Digital SLR Lee Filter Kit that I was going to sell as I though we cant use them on these compact dSLR. So all i need is to get a ring to fit onto the lens... So what Panasonic Lens got thread so i can screw lee filter on it it?

That looks like the 20mm f1.7 to me and if it is it's got a 46mm thread. I have various stepping rings and can use my Cokin P on just about every lens I have :)

Goodbye 7D and all the Canon fiff faff (y)

Sorry Grum :(

Right, off to research the 9-18 vs 7-14

No worries mate. Well done on getting it sold.

Did a quick bit of research and it suggested the the 4/3 version of the 9-18 focuses really slowly on the GF1. Think IQ is meant to be fairly similar - the M4/3 version is quite a bit more compact apparently. Not sure how well it focuses on the GF1 though.

No worries mate. Well done on getting it sold.

Did a quick bit of research and it suggested the the 4/3 version of the 9-18 focuses really slowly on the GF1. Think IQ is meant to be fairly similar - the M4/3 version is quite a bit more compact apparently. Not sure how well it focuses on the GF1 though.

Cheers

The proper m4/3 version is supposed to a dress the slow focusing, plus it collapses down when not in use - seems worth the extra £100 over the 4/3 version for those things.

Dpreview confirms this

Last edited:
I think the RF kit is really designed to give clearance for the view finder but with the GF1 that's not really an issue.

Have you got any pic's taken with the filter system..?

Mark

Double post bug again.

Another quick one from me, does anyone use a non Panasonic battery or do you use the official battery. I am understanding that third party batteries do not work..?

Where is the cheapest place to get genuine batteries?

Another quick one from me, does anyone use a non Panasonic battery or do you use the official battery. I am understanding that third party batteries do not work..?

Where is the cheapest place to get genuine batteries?

I user a thirdparty battery on my GF1 and G1 and works ok ....see if I can find where I bought it, probably through Amazon.

My "other" battery is called Jupio , got into Amazon for details.

Last edited:
Look like I might get myself a gf1 this week unless someone can prove the Sony is better but looking in net the nex 5 has a better sensor?

Look like I might get myself a gf1 this week unless someone can prove the Sony is better but looking in net the nex 5 has a better sensor?

How about doing a google search for GF1 vs sony XXX that should help you then you can decide. Because in the long run, only you can decide! :)

I user a thirdparty battery on my GF1 and G1 and works ok ....see if I can find where I bought it, probably through Amazon.

My "other" battery is called Jupio , got into Amazon for details.

Cheers mate,
I thought the firmware prevented the use of third batteries..?

Hi mate,
If you can you need to get out there and have a go for yourself, read the reviews and then make your own mind up. This is a GF1 specific thread and all of the owners will be bias a little..lol

I think the size of this thread alone speaks for itself. The GF1 is not perfect but it is a very good and capable camera. I chose it to help me develop my photography skills and for something more compact compared to my D300s and lenses which I have now sold.

HTH

Cheers mate,
I thought the firmware prevented the use of third batteries..?

So did I but mine works everytime the real one runs out !

Admittedly I have still got the original firmware, have never updated .

Yes I did update and I'm thinking I should of left it but then again any future updates will still have the restriction.

I think the cheapest genuine one is around £49..?

Yes I did update and I'm thinking I should of left it but then again any future updates will still have the restriction.

I think the cheapest genuine one is around £49..?

I tried to update my GF1 but got hopelessly lost, just not technically minded enough !....so just left it as it was, .....did it improve the camera at all ?

Since buying the G1 I now have 2 genuine batteries and one Junipo copy

Last edited:

Nex has better high ISO performance, but it sounds like the controls are very frustrating if you like to adjust settings etc yourself.

I have two third party batteries that work since the firmware update - think they have copied the chip in the official ones as well.

I have had a third party battery on order from 7dayshop for weeeeeks!!

Now Im not sure if it will work with all the talk of firmware. Im fine to update firmware, did it on my Canons, but dont want to bugger up chances of using 3rd parties.

If firmware update just alters some video settings/capabilites then as I dont use video often I think I will leave as is. Body firmware 1.2 , 20mm lens firmware 1.1.

is that ok?

I can't remember what the latest firmware was but I think it might be 1.2 anyway. You can also install the firmware hack which I just did (lets you use third party batteries anyway) and improves video function massively.

It's quite geeky but pretty cool - allows full manual control of video mode and much higher bitrates/more frame rates etc

Is for me if it allows 3rd party batteries! (y)

I can't remember what the latest firmware was but I think it might be 1.2 anyway. You can also install the firmware hack which I just did (lets you use third party batteries anyway) and improves video function massively.

It's quite geeky but pretty cool - allows full manual control of video mode and much higher bitrates/more frame rates etc

linky linky please!! ;)

Well my third party batteries worked fine without the hack.

But this hack should mean any third party battery will work.

Guide here - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=215526

It's a little bit geeky to do though, and it's unclear whether this will void your warranty. Of course, as long as it's still possible, you could probably just reinstall the old firmware before sending it off for a warranty issue...

Thanks Graham. Will just check if they work when they finally arrive as I may not need to do this after all.

Soooo I have the camera - I need a case. Nothing fancy, just something that means I can chuck the camera in my bag and not worry. recommendations?

Interesting about the third party batteries. Not sure what to do really?

Soooo I have the camera - I need a case. Nothing fancy, just something that means I can chuck the camera in my bag and not worry. recommendations?

Iv'e just bought a Lowepro Apex 110 AW. Small but fit's the GF1 with 20mm lust nice ant the other section fits the 14-45mm nice and snug. I was after something small to just house the camera gear and also have something bigger for longer days.

Will get a pic if anyone is interested..?

Iv'e just bought a Lowepro Apex 110 AW. Small but fit's the GF1 with 20mm lust nice ant the other section fits the 14-45mm nice and snug. I was after something small to just house the camera gear and also have something bigger for longer days.

Will get a pic if anyone is interested..?

I be interested in a picture to give me an idea how compact it all is as i think i going to go into town tmr and try and feet the gf1 twin kit unless am better off just getting the 20mm kit?

What did you guys get when first bough the gf1?

Also anyone done a portrait shot indoor without flash with the 20mm am interested see what it like

That looks PERFECT for what I need initially. Will fit inside my work bag lovely - and I reckon I could hang it off myself quite easily when I start cycling again.

Thanks for posting & thanks grum for the recommendation too,.

Don't be disturbed that these are taken on the floor outside, there is a little mat under the bag..lol

Anyway, bought this from Jessops just to try out and if I find it to small I'll return it. But at the mo it's a nice little bag to hold the GF1 + 20mm, 14-45 lens, spare battery and a few SD cards. Could probably get a few other things in there aswell but not alot.

I like the idea of the LC1N for MTB use.

4894912490_d76bff6671_z.jpg

4894913264_d4cb34011b_z.jpg

4894318013_dc6a7c85e2_z.jpg

Mark

All those case looks great nice and compact.

Now can any of your guys do a nice portrait inside house without flash with the 20mm as i be using it for taking pictures of mu little girl... Also did you guy go for the 20mm or 14 - 55 what ever it is for first lens or both right away?

I bought the GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm as a kit which qualified for the 3 year warranty and £30 cashback.

I bought the GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm as a kit which qualified for the 3 year warranty and £30 cashback.

Not sure if you said where from think you got it from that place Bolton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back