Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i'm going to give the GF1 a try!

Got it with the 20mm and have secured a 14-45 and also a 14-42. I intend on doing a comparison between the two zooms, to see if the Panny lens is worth so much more than the Olympus. No IS isn't a big deal imo, considering the 20mm is faster with no IS anyway....can't see me using the zoom much indoors, whether it has IS or not.

Expect some results(all be it, not very detailed :D), in the next few days. :)

Another one from my 20mm 1.7.

4124842453_8ccdfbe878_o.jpg

This has got to be one of my favourite images so far.
The 20mm 1.7 is rapidly getting to the stage that it may as well be permanently glued to the GF1. It just 'feels' right. Its fast, and the right focal length for the vast majority of my shots and is nice and sharp wide open when needed.

Another one from my 20mm 1.7.

This has got to be one of my favourite images so far.
The 20mm 1.7 is rapidly getting to the stage that it may as well be permanently glued to the GF1. It just 'feels' right. Its fast, and the right focal length for the vast majority of my shots and is nice and sharp wide open when needed.

That is an awesome pic.
Finally stopped raining here today, but stuck at work :razz:

ON the brighter side, bag arrived to carry it in, got Muffin Top 5500. plenty of room for GF1 plus buttie box plus bits and bobs with out being toooooo big.

That is an awesome pic.
Finally stopped raining here today, but stuck at work :razz:

ON the brighter side, bag arrived to carry it in, got Muffin Top 5500. plenty of room for GF1 plus buttie box plus bits and bobs with out being toooooo big.

Thanks (y)

Still raining here :(

Good news on the bag :) I spent a full day out with the GF1 yesterday with the 20mm on the camera and the 14-45 in my jacket pocket - hardly knew it was there :)

quick pic from lunchtime of the front of our offices.

4128954788_16338efc01.jpg

need to get my wellies/walking boots out and go for walk round the fields near work. lots of flooding due to the rain.

Ok i'm thinking of one of these now due to the fact of it's size BUT some questions?

The 20mm lens im gathering that works out to a 40mm if it's x2?

Is there a built in flash as some of these shots looks amazing, if not what happens in low light?

No viewfinder but i see evf mentioned alot is this electronic view finder and is this an extra you need to buy?

Sorry im a bit stupid when it comes to this but i have had my camera stolen and now dont feel safe pulling it out in many places so im wondering if i should go down this road.

I love shooting people, animals and landscape's would you say it would handle this ok?

Thanks.

Ok i'm thinking of one of these now due to the fact of it's size BUT some questions?

The 20mm lens im gathering that works out to a 40mm if it's x2?

Is there a built in flash as some of these shots looks amazing, if not what happens in low light?

No viewfinder but i see evf mentioned alot is this electronic view finder and is this an extra you need to buy?

Sorry im a bit stupid when it comes to this but i have had my camera stolen and now dont feel safe pulling it out in many places so im wondering if i should go down this road.

I love shooting people, animals and landscape's would you say it would handle this ok?

Thanks.

Correct - The 20mm behaves like a 40mm on a full frame camera.

Correct - the EVf you see mentioned is indeed an electronic viewfinder that is available to buy seperately

The GF1 is great for most types of shooting, but not very good at fast moving subjects. I dont shoot them that much so the GF1 is ideal for me,

All of my shots are without flash. Although the GF1 has a built in flash, i prefer natural light whereever possible.

I have had mine for 2 weeks now and i have still to use it!! the weather has been pants!! As soon as this spell of bad weather clears i'll be out there!!!

I've ordered mine.

This is exactly the camera I have been looking for.

November 25, 2009: Panasonic is pleased to announce new firmwares for the DMC-GF1 camera and interchangeable lenses of Lumix G Micro System to expand the potential of the camera and lenses especially in the movie recording function.

Firmware ver.1.1 for DMC-GF1
-Improved AF(Auto Focus)performance in movie recording
-Improved AWB(Auto White Balance) performance
-Improved picture quality in high sensitivity photo recording
-Improved picture quality in portrait program modes
-Improved aperture control in scenery program modes
-Improved accessibility to MF(Manual Focus) Assist function with MF lenses.

Firmware ver.1.2 for LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS014045)
Firmware ver.1.2 for LUMIX G VARIO 45-200mm/F4.0-5.6/MEGA O.I.S. (H-FS045200)
-Availability of AF in FHD(Full HD) mode
-Improved AF performance in movie recording

Firmware ver.1.1 for LUMIX G VARIO 7-14mm/F4.0 ASPH. (H-FS007014)
-Availability of AF in FHD mode
-Improved aperture control performance in movie recording

Firmware ver.1.2 for LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm/F4.0-5.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. (H-VS014140)
Firmware ver.1.1 for LUMIX G 20mm / F1.7 ASPH. (H-H020)

The new firmware will be available worldwide at GMT: 2:00 on the 25th of November, 2009 at http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/.

Not a quick procedure looking at the site.
Had to get both the body firmware and 20mm firmware.
Give me something to do tonight.

Have you done it yet Chilli?

AT LAST!!! The sun came out so i went to Box Hill to take some piccies. Had a great couple of hours until it started to rain. LOVING the camera!!!!!!!!!

Here's a couple from today using the 20mm lens:

Grave Stone:

Weeping tree:

Last edited:
OMG!! One of my mechanics asked me about the GF1 last week, he was looking for a new camera and has seen the ads. I said that I honestly hadn't been near one but those that had seemed to like them and left him to browse this thread.

Friday he bought it with the 14-140 lens and today he brought in for me to see.... how cute is that thing?!?! [the camera, not the mechanic]. So lightweight yet feels like quality. Needless to say I switched it straight to manual, and whilst it was quick and easy to change shutter speed, iso and wb, aperture adjustment had me stumped, but other wise I was quite impressed with the little beastie. A shot inside the workshops a iso3200 looked very good on lcd screen, though he has promised them on a dongle tomorrow so I can see them bigger.

Have fun all new GF1 owners (y)

Correct! f2.8 (y)

I was headed down that route with my Nikon kit, wanting better lenses, more this, more that. The GF1 is going to be with me for some time.... It does what I need and so far has proven to do it well.

Had a wee chuckle reading that, i'd just been looking at thread in which you sold your GF1:LOL:

Does look a cracking wee camera though.

Hi all,

I was looking at picking one of these up (anyone know where I can just go buy one in London tomorrow?), I was wondering though

*) What is the maximum shutter speed you can set

*) Does it have a bulb mode for which I can buy a cable release for?

Many thanks

Hi,

has anyone finally tested the GF1 with an IR filter and can show us the results (if it'S working) and give some hints about the settings... i'm planning to buy an IR filter...

Hi all,

I was looking at picking one of these up (anyone know where I can just go buy one in London tomorrow?), I was wondering though

*) What is the maximum shutter speed you can set

*) Does it have a bulb mode for which I can buy a cable release for?

Many thanks

Surprisingly(just checked this minute), it goes up to a speed of 4000.

It does indeed have "bulb" mode. Gingerweasel had a shutter release for his, but unsure where he got it?

That's weird. I searched the other day and they never came up...must have typed it wrong into the search bar...

Cheers!

Amazing camera. I got mine late last week and took it out in fading light around London last night. I'm really impressed with the quality of the images it produces and I think this is gonna be a camera I take with me where I otherwise would leave my SLR behind. Some shots from yesterday:

http://www.chrisgearyphotography.com/places/london/

I have to say, that is (IMO) the best set of images I have seen from the GF1.

I have to say, that is (IMO) the best set of images I have seen from the GF1.

Goddammit! This isn't helping my yearning for one!

Buy a GF1, or get some pants with really enormous pockets so I can fit the 5D in. :bang:

You need one. Really, you do.

I've started to carry mine with me. Took this today...and at 100% there is a surprising amont of detail, the sheep are clear enough...

P1000417.jpg

and this one is ISO 200, f1.7, 1/50th sec and it looks pretty sharp to me...

P1000342.jpg

Amazing camera. I got mine late last week and took it out in fading light around London last night. I'm really impressed with the quality of the images it produces and I think this is gonna be a camera I take with me where I otherwise would leave my SLR behind. Some shots from yesterday:

http://www.chrisgearyphotography.com/places/london/

You got one!!! :D

Lovely shots there. I recognise the girl ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back