Picked up my new camera today....a GF1

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS. Lovely day today.

P1010612c.jpg

Oh it's arrived! Waiting here going mad while it charges up, took a few sneak pics with it before I stuck it on the charger.... very impressed already.

Oh it's arrived! Waiting here going mad while it charges up, took a few sneak pics with it before I stuck it on the charger.... very impressed already.

Ooooh I love people getting their new GF1's!! :love:

3:2.

I keep my LX2 in 16:9 which don't forget is an option with the GF1 too.

:LOL: I feel like part of the club now haha..... just a quick one, what aspect ratio do you guys keep it set at? 4:3 or 3:2

Hope you enjoy your GF1. This, from Imaging Resource, suggests that if you use an aspect ratio other than 4:3, you are chucking resolution away:

The Panasonic GF1's sensor has an effective resolution of 12.1 megapixels, and yields 4:3 aspect ratio images with dimensions of up to 4,000 x 3,000 pixels. In addition to two lower-resolution 4:3 modes of 2,816 x 2,112 and 2,048 x 1,536 pixels, the Panasonic GF1 offers three modes each of which crop the sensor's output to a 3:2, 16:9 or 1:1 aspect ratio. The Panasonic GF1's 3:2 image modes are 4,000 x 2,672, 2,816 x 1,880, and 2,048 x 1,360 pixels, the 16:9 image modes are 4,000 x 2,248, 2,816 x 1,584 and 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, while the 1:1 image modes are 2,992 x 2,992, 2,112 x 2,112 and 1,504 x 1,504 respectively

After being a 20D user I stuck with 3:2. 4:3 just seemed too fat (not phat!). Looking forward to braving 1:1 at some point though.

Hard to print at anything but 3:2 really isnt it?

What lens u guys got and what u prefer also as a walk about lens

I have all three pannys, 20mm f1.7 is brilliant. Really light and easy and makes you think about what you are taking.
14-45 I use more as a walkabout, and 45-200 obviously for things further away! :bonk:

I also have a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 with an adapter, it is like the 20mm but gives you a bit more scope.

I have all three pannys, 20mm f1.7 is brilliant. Really light and easy and makes you think about what you are taking.
14-45 I use more as a walkabout, and 45-200 obviously for things further away! :bonk:

I also have a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 with an adapter, it is like the 20mm but gives you a bit more scope.

I got the panny 14 - 42 as that what came in the twin kit. I believe the 14-45 not made anymore but are performance the same?

Thanks for the replies regarding the aspect, i'll see how i get on with 4:3 but might need to move back to 3:2.

Just a few quick snaps to test it out,very impress by it, can't wait to give it a proper go:
P1000067copy.jpg

P1000066copy.jpg

P1000065copy.jpg

P1000063copy.jpg

P1000046copy.jpg

P1000008copy.jpg

cheers

Jonathan

Last edited:
Some smashers there, Jonathan. Specially like the first one of the dog and car (y)

You need to change your info now it's arrived. :)

The dog and car pic is sharp mate.

Also brings out the peel in the Renault..lol

Nice one.

I got the panny 14 - 42 as that what came in the twin kit. I believe the 14-45 not made anymore but are performance the same?

The 14-45 has a Metal Mount and OIS switch compared to the 14-42 plastic mount and no OIS switch and you're right its not made any more!

The dog and car pic is sharp mate.

Also brings out the peel in the Renault..lol

Nice one.

:LOL: I know, really need to wet sand it but can't be bothered to do so, it's only that door that has it really bad as I had to get it blown over after the wife to be drove it for the first time, the rest is just typical French craftsmanship! Saying that modern BMW's are some if the worst cars that i've detailed. :LOL:

Thanks all for the pic comments, please with them as they were only snaps.

Last edited:
Love the Doggy pics.
Does that mean discounted detailing for GF1 owners? ;)

I would have done if I still did it at the weekends, just not time for it now. I washed the Clio for the first time in 4 months the other day!

Forgot to add the pic of our own dog!:bonk: (the 2 westies are my mum and dads):

P1000047copy.jpg

Images do look sharp.

Cheers guys, I've had plenty of practice using a single fast prime. When I had my D200 I only had a 35mm f/1.8 lens for nearly 8 months.Makes you think abit not having a zoom.

Great shot of the Jack Russel too, I need to get a 20mm lens......

Anyway, my GGS LCD cover came today ( from Amazon) It seemed easy to fit despite reading nightmare reviews that state its either impossible to fit correctly and will break if you try to take it off again!
First of all, its a little bendy, so it can be peeled off carefully if you dont fit it right first time ( not square or uneven spacing either end. ) I peeled it off once to realign it, but as long as you dont press it down it comes off easy enough.
So, after getting the LCD clean using Eclipse fluid and Pec-Pads to ensure no dust was on the screen, I took off the white backing and lined up one side on the LCD, then dropped it down. No bubbles like on plastic covers, and as long as it lines up properly, press it down.
Mine was a little too much over one side, so I carefully pulled up on one corner, peeled it up really slowly, realigned it and its now perfect.
It is quite thin so its hard to tell its there, apart from the GSS and GF1 logos along the bottom. (y)

I can definately recommend using one of these, its much better than the normal protector. Now to look for a cheap 20mm f1.7..............
Allan

Last edited:
Temptation overcome me and I've ordered a GF1 with twin kit lens today. It's coming tomorrow.
I finally got to get one demonstrated at the Panasonic Store, but the price was way over the top, so I'm ashamed to say I ordered it on the Internet from Mathers. £689 and £30 cashback.
Cant wait - I'm so excited:woot::love:

Temptation overcome me and I've ordered a GF1 with twin kit lens today. It's coming tomorrow.
I finally got to get one demonstrated at the Panasonic Store, but the price was way over the top, so I'm ashamed to say I ordered it on the Internet from Mathers. £689 and £30 cashback.
Cant wait - I'm so excited:woot::love:

Don't be ashamed....they are great people to deal with and prices are great.

Oooh well done, Barbara.. Im sure you won't be disappointed! (y)

I finally got to get one demonstrated at the Panasonic Store, but the price was way over the top,

The trouble with these type of shops is that they just dont seem to think their prices are higher than everyone else. I have no problems going in them to look at kit then order online from somewhere else. If they want customers, they need to give an incentive. Low prices always works for me

Allan

The trouble with these type of shops is that they just dont seem to think their prices are higher than everyone else. I have no problems going in them to look at kit then order online from somewhere else. If they want customers, they need to give an incentive. Low prices always works for me

Allan

I would love to go into the high street, walk into a shop, browse, touch, try - buy the item, take it home and enjoy unpacking and using it without having to wait for postal services. (y)

Trouble is there is very little choice, very little stock, extremely uncompetitive prices and shop keepers with a cob on because nobody is buying anything on the high street anymore. :thumbsdown:

If I were a shopkeeper, I'd rather make a few quid less profit and have loads of turnover than one sale every now and then. :nono:

Don't be ashamed....they are great people to deal with and prices are great.

They were very helpful when I spoke to them so I am sure they will be great, just feel a little guilty though as the very nice salesman at Panasonic shop spent an hour demonstrating it to be, let me take about 30 photos and then displayed them for me on a 42 inch screen to show how good the picture was.

Allan

I would love to go into the high street, walk into a shop, browse, touch, try - buy the item, take it home and enjoy unpacking and using it without having to wait for postal services. (y)

Trouble is there is very little choice, very little stock, extremely uncompetitive prices and shop keepers with a cob on because nobody is buying anything on the high street anymore. :thumbsdown:

If I were a shopkeeper, I'd rather make a few quid less profit and have loads of turnover than one sale every now and then. :nono:

I know it's a shame because it's so nice to see the things in real life before buying but in the end it's going to come down to price. There was nearly a difference of £200. If it was only a few pound I would have bought it at the shop. I must admit though that I find it quite exciting when the postman comes and I have the joy of unwrapping the parcel - it's just like Christmas then.

Having said that though, I bought my GF1 from a local camera shop. It was 4 days after the £50 cashback finished after the GF1 was launched.
I got a great demo from them, then they let me have it at the cashback price. That shop gets almost all my business now

Allan

Can you post a pic of the GF1 with your new protector fitted?

Regarding the extended warranty and cashback. How long does it normally take to arrive back? I posted mine just over a week ago and nothing in the post yet..!

Can you post a pic of the GF1 with your new protector fitted?

The thing I cant understand is... if it get scratched etc and you want to sell the gf1 you would obviously want to take that off prior to selling so you sell with a mint screen. But you cant take it off, is that right??

Regarding the extended warranty and cashback. How long does it normally take to arrive back? I posted mine just over a week ago and nothing in the post yet..!

I sent my cashback in weeeeeks ago, then they sent an email to say that i had included the barcode of the camera and 14-45 which came in one box but not the 20mm lens which was in its own box (the whole lot was a kit).

So i photocopied their email and sent it along with the barcode from the 20mm lens box and have heard nothing again for another few weeks.

i rung yesterday to make sure that hte two parts had been married up together and i was told the relevent person would ring me back.. but didnt.

however he did mention that there is a backlog so Id expect a long wait if i were you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back