The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Comparing files from my A7s and A7rii I find the A7s files somehow have more depth.....with aerial shots I do a lot off PP, and the A7rii images compared to the A7s images end up looking like water colours compared to oil paintings if you get the analogy.

Comparing files from my A7s and A7rii I find the A7s files somehow have more depth.....with aerial shots I do a lot off PP, and the A7rii images compared to the A7s images end up looking like water colours compared to oil paintings if you get the analogy.

Do you mean the A7S (as in 12mp model)? Do you shoot RAW?

Have you turned off the watercolour creative effect ;)?

Have you turned off the watercolour creative effect ;)?

Lol. I only shoot RAW. And yes, the 12mp files seem to have more depth to the colour when you have to make large levels adjustment. This includes when downscaling the A7rii files to 12mp. The A7rii files of course have much more detail.

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to have two systems? I don't count as I have more money than sense and I'm an amateur... but for normal people wouldn't it be best to limp along with either Sony or Canon or Nikon until a new camera comes from whoever which covers all needs?

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to have two systems? I don't count as I have more money than sense and I'm an amateur... but for normal people wouldn't it be best to limp along with either Sony or Canon or Nikon until a new camera comes from either which covers all needs?

I think there are clearly lots of 'normal' people who have more than enough money for 2 camera systems.

You picked up on the tongue in cheek bit but if that's the case maybe they can cut the angst, accept the compromises and just get on with it.

Is it a good idea to have two systems? I don't count as I have more money than sense and I'm an amateur... but for normal people wouldn't it be best to limp along with either Sony or Canon or Nikon until a new camera comes from whoever which covers all needs?

I previously had Nikon and Sony. Used the a7 and 55 1.8 for portraits and as a general carry around light weight option.
Wildlife, macro and landscape I was using Nikon.
Wasn't a problem. I sold my Nikon gear to fund the a7rii and some lenses. No major complaints about the Sony system. But there isn't an option for wildlife shooting. Adapted lenses are too hit and miss for my liking. Plus, even with a battery grip- a large lens doesn't feel very good on the smaller camera.

that 6100 rumour looks nice, 30+ meg pixel, wonder if that's true, supposed to find out tomorrow or 10th.... i bet they release some behemoth that hits the ball right out the park....

Well well well

Going to try a Sony 70-200 f4 lens tmr test it out see what images are like me hoping there be some deals at the photography show so like test images first

I'm saving my ££££ for the show might even trade a bit in see what I can get lol

that 6100 rumour looks nice, 30+ meg pixel, wonder if that's true, supposed to find out tomorrow or 10th.... i bet they release some behemoth that hits the ball right out the park....

Phase One in their XF 100MP are using a Sony sensor so a "behemoth" is possible surely?

Didn't buy a thing last year was totally unimpressed by the prices ... 1st year was some bargains hopefully this year be the same as the first

Your right there pal last year was crap only bough the peak design camera strap last year manage get price down lol.

Year before like u said was best I did prefer it in 2 halls rather than 1 hall

With new nice kit from just about everyone maybe they should try as hard as they can :D

This 30 something mp sensor rumour for a6 100 won't go away.....

If it is 30mp I hope they've still managed to move the image quality on a bit more than Panasonic and Olympus seem to have done with their latest higher mp count cameras. (Arguably) hardly if at all for them.

Interesting rumours ment to be a lot quicker. .... like the a6000 was ever slow lol

@rookies let's hope it is good this year!!!

Really hoping to find a new tripod (the endless search for the perfect tripod) and maybe some HiTech filters if a good price.

Also looking to sort out a lab (probably Loxley but maybe someone else will impress).

These are the issues living in Cornwall. A beautiful county but nothing available locally. I'm not complaining though ;)

Loxley are awesome can recommend they are high end as hell but depends on clientele I guess

I rarely use a tripod but of the three I've had in my life the one I have now is the best, a Benbo with additional centre bracket. It's the only tripod I've had that can get into the positions I want.

Back