The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There are a few good ones mate who offer v similar products....

The a7 series prints fab though had a a1 print of my dog delivered today:)

A1? Golly. Delivered to your home or mounted on the side of it?

Biggest I've done is A3.

Really hoping to find a new tripod (the endless search for the perfect tripod) and maybe some HiTech filters if a good price.

Also looking to sort out a lab (probably Loxley but maybe someone else will impress).

These are the issues living in Cornwall. A beautiful county but nothing available locally. I'm not complaining though ;)

Cornwall is my favourite part of the world. Love it.

I rarely use a tripod but of the three I've had in my life the one I have now is the best, a Benbo with additional centre bracket. It's the only tripod I've had that can get into the positions I want.

I use a Benbo at the moment. it's a good tripod, but I want something tall and light, I've been kicking myself for months after passing up a 3LT that a local shop was selling on behalf of a customer that was pretty perfect for me. I think I'll probably end up with a 3LT but want to see what the likes of Gitzo etc have to offer. I mean so many togs say how great they are, there must be a good reason right?

Locally, no one sells good tripods (by locally I mean all of Cornwall and probably Devon).

Locally, no one sells good tripods (by locally I mean all of Cornwall and probably Devon).
Almost as bad here. If I want anything beyond what Currys stock now it'll mean a day out to York or Newcastle.

The only reason I got the Benbo was because I was frustrated by conventional centre column through the legs designs that basically just go up and down. I wouldn't go back to one of those now.

Worth every penny I bet

More than just money, I'm so much healthier as well (I'm only 43 now but my lifestyle was very destructive before. Had a heart attack mid thirties - great now).

Every day now I wake up and the first thing I see is the sea. I get up and take the dog out by the beach. Can't put a price on quality of life.

More than just money, I'm so much healthier as well (I'm only 43 now but my lifestyle was very destructive before. Had a heart attack mid thirties - great now).

Every day now I wake up and the first thing I see is the sea. I get up and take the dog out by the beach. Can't put a price on quality of life.

Exactly. I'd relocate in a heart beat if it was possible. Realistically it may be a plan for retirement.
It's an incredible place for photography. It's a shame it's so expensive to holiday there. It's cheaper to go to Dubai

Exactly. I'd relocate in a heart beat if it was possible. Realistically it may be a plan for retirement.
It's an incredible place for photography. It's a shame it's so expensive to holiday there. It's cheaper to go to Dubai

I must admit relatives and friends want to visit a lot more since we moved here :)

Cornwall is an expensive place to visit now. We are fortunate in that we have a camper so get away most weekends around the county. The Missus is into photography as well so the two gel really well.

I must admit relatives and friends want to visit a lot more since we moved here :)

Cornwall is an expensive place to visit now. We are fortunate in that we have a camper so get away most weekends around the county. The Missus is into photography as well so the two gel really well.

That's a nice touch having the other half share the same interest. Have been down to Cornwall last 3 summers and I'd be happy to do the same this year. Would really like to take the drone with me! :)

That's a nice touch having the other half share the same interest. Have been down to Cornwall last 3 summers and I'd be happy to do the same this year. Would really like to take the drone with me! :)

Which drone do you have? I'm quite active in a few drone groups and review a few here and there. I think the first MD3 in the UK should be here tomorrow so need to do a few videos on it. The one I'm interested in maybe buying is the Karma later this year. The footage seems great - more like from a boom than a drone.

Which drone do you have? I'm quite active in a few drone groups and review a few here and there. I think the first MD3 in the UK should be here tomorrow so need to do a few videos on it. The one I'm interested in maybe buying is the Karma later this year. The footage seems great - more like from a boom than a drone.

I had the dji 3 professional. Had to downgrade to the standard as i just wasn't using it enough. Loads of fun.

Great little drone. I've not flown one, but I've edited quite a bit of footage from it for others.

Yeah it's not bad. Range could do with being a bit broader though.
I've never edited any video. I have some ideas for some projects but we will have to see if I can make them work. If I get the hang of it then maybe in the future I can justify the more expensive pro version.
Jessops recently lowered the price to £450 for the standard, so I had to pull the trigger. Were£620 in the summer.

Yeah it's not bad. Range could do with being a bit broader though.
I've never edited any video. I have some ideas for some projects but we will have to see if I can make them work. If I get the hang of it then maybe in the future I can justify the more expensive pro version.
Jessops recently lowered the price to £450 for the standard, so I had to pull the trigger. Were£620 in the summer.

It might be worth looking at the Karma (once relesaed) before making the decision to by the P3P. Have a look at this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2g8rHG9STc

(no word on cost yet though)

I saw earlier (I think) that you were maybe putting something A7 wise in the classifieds?

So with all the new camera releases its an exciting time, i was going to buy an Em1II as i still like Olympus but not knowing anything about it kinda leaves me open to other things. I then see the stuff on the 6100 and what it could be. I hope they stuff some nice features in it and if it is 36meg like the rumour has i think in all honesty i,ll stay sony. be nice as a portable unit for partys etc...

Suppose the 1 thing Olympus had was the fact you can get 600mm pretty easy with it. and now with the new F4 its a good place....
Wish sony would sort reach out for us all

All we need is a Sigma or Tamron 150-600 and id be sorted, wonder why they don't do it

So with all the new camera releases its an exciting time, i was going to buy an Em1II as i still like Olympus but not knowing anything about it kinda leaves me open to other things. I then see the stuff on the 6100 and what it could be. I hope they stuff some nice features in it and if it is 36meg like the rumour has i think in all honesty i,ll stay sony. be nice as a portable unit for partys etc...

Suppose the 1 thing Olympus had was the fact you can get 600mm pretty easy with it. and now with the new F4 its a good place....

All we need is a Sigma or Tamron 150-600 and id be sorted, wonder why they don't do it
Awaiting the 5d4

M43 and Fuji have all the good lenses. The thing to consider is wether you need 36mp or not.

The new Xpro 2 has my attention, I love Fujis lenses and the system but their Xtrans II sensor was a bit long in tooth, as thats been updated Im very interested. The new AF system looks very good from what Ive seen so far but its expensive for an APSC camera. Still, I know what Im like so will probably buy it :facepalm:

Last edited:

Feel free to buy my canon mount tamron. Autofocus is better at 600mm on a cheap fotodiox adapter than it is on metabones

Ok so any of you got Sony LA-EA3, and tried the Tamron 150-600, Brian smith says it the best.. I'm thinking of buying that combo... ?

What would you recommend as a wide for this system? I'm thinking about the 16-35 F4 however wouldn't want to pass up on a bargain legacy prime... seems most wide legacy primes that don't magenta cast aren't that cheap?

Woo, how exciting!! Not. Only interesting thing is both lenses lack OSS, that means the A6100 will certainly have IBIS (more than likely only 3 axis).

Sony will announce at least two new lenses designed for APS together with the A6100.
One is a average 16-50mm f3.5-5 zoom.
the other is a 16-200mm f4.0-6 super zoom.
Both lenses lack in lens stabilisation

Last edited:
What would you recommend as a wide for this system? I'm thinking about the 16-35 F4 however wouldn't want to pass up on a bargain legacy prime... seems most wide legacy primes that don't magenta cast aren't that cheap?

Samyang 14mm

Sure, but if its good to me like my D750 has been it aint gonna happen. :D You still shooting M43?

Yep. The E-P5 + 45/1.8 is a great little low-cost combo. I miss the FF look sometimes and definitely miss ISO 50. Had to put the camera cash to work for a bit but should be able to buy again soon. Thinking A7Rii or D810 or still flirting with the idea of a Pentax 645D.

How wide do you want to go?

Once you go wider than maybe 24mm things can get rare or expensive or both.

Threads dead after the new f2.8 announcements lenses...

The price tag is a joke.

@twist I won't be getting none of those zooms plus the 70-200 is heavier! Wtf

I'm a bit put off by the Batis bokeh myself.

Just had a look at the rumor site... the only lens I'd be interested in is the 85mm f1.4 so will need to wait for reviews and image samples and of course the UK price but in rip off Britain I don't expect a bargain.

When I had my 5D for a short while my 85mm f1.4 (Sigma) was my most used lens and until I bought into the A7 that Sigma was very probably the best AF lens I'd ever used. These days I seem to prefer 35 and 50mm and for the occasions I want 85mm's I have three manual lenses and as what I'd shoot with an 85mm probably isn't likely to move too quickly I'll probably pass on this new lens.

Nice to see the system moving forward though but I do expect an avalanche of posts to the effect of "They're too expensive. I get get a Nikon for £200." Well, the system is what it is and Nikon's are there so go and buy one and I can't blame anyone for doing so :D

Might be interested in the A6300 but it would have to replace my MFT kit and at the moment MFT IMO has the better lenses. AFAIK Sony has the features I want though, constant exposure and DoF in all modes and the ability to dial in exposure compensation whilst using auto ISO and again in all modes. These features are just gorgeous on my A7 and I do wish they were available on a compact smaller frame camera with the lenses that suit me.

I'm a bit put off by the Batis bokeh myself.

Just had a look at the rumor site... the only lens I'd be interested in is the 85mm f1.4 so will need to wait for reviews and image samples and of course the UK price but in rip off Britain I don't expect a bargain.

When I had my 5D for a short while my 85mm f1.4 (Sigma) was my most used lens and until I bought into the A7 that Sigma was very probably the best AF lens I'd ever used. These days I seem to prefer 35 and 50mm and for the occasions I want 85mm's I have three manual lenses and as what I'd shoot with an 85mm probably isn't likely to move too quickly I'll probably pass on this new lens.

Nice to see the system moving forward though but I do expect an avalanche of posts to the effect of "They're too expensive. I get get a Nikon for £200." Well, the system is what it is and Nikon's are there so go and buy one and I can't blame anyone for doing so :D

Might be interested in the A6300 but it would have to replace my MFT kit and at the moment MFT IMO has the better lenses. AFAIK Sony has the features I want though, constant exposure and DoF in all modes and the ability to dial in exposure compensation whilst using auto ISO and again in all modes. These features are just gorgeous on my A7 and I do wish they were available on a compact smaller frame camera with the lenses that suit me.
????

check this out everyone

first SOFC shot. no PP

untitled-4.jpg by Jonathan Richards, on Flickr

25mm BATIS

Back