The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So how do you get out of it with the A7rIII? Take the picture or toggle the button?

You can just full press & take the photo but then obviously you may be a little out on perfect composition or level if hand holding - then again, there's plenty of pixels to crop/rotate slightly!

Or just toggle through - it was set as centre button (on the rear dial) so I added it to C1 as I had it on the A7 next to the shutter.

You can just full press & take the photo but then obviously you may be a little out on perfect composition or level if hand holding - then again, there's plenty of pixels to crop/rotate slightly!

Or just toggle through - it was set as centre button (on the rear dial) so I added it to C1 as I had it on the A7 next to the shutter.

I have it set to the centre button so I assume I'd have to press to engage and press again to disengage?

No biggie I suppose.

For me and how I use the camera and what I use it for getting a newer camera would mostly just be gas but would have some real advantages, the most obvious to me being the electronic shutter and eye detect and (I think) at a greater distance too and they would be real improvements but at the mo I'm holding off and my gas will mostly be satisfied by lenses as they are to me more immediately different and more of a quick fix fun :D

Oh, other reasons to hold off buying a new camera... Mrs WW's visa is up shortly and she'll be going for Indefinite Leave To Remain which costs £2,404 and straight after that she wants citizenship which costs £1,330. Coming to the UK legally costs a lot and this is after the "marriage visa" and two "Further Leave To Remains" which all cost a pretty penny.

Last edited:
I have it set to the centre button so I assume I'd have to press to engage and press again to disengage?

No biggie I suppose.

For me and how I use the camera and what I use it for getting a newer camera would mostly just be gas but would have some real advantages, the most obvious to me being the electronic shutter and eye detect and (I think) at a greater distance too and they would be real improvements but at the mo I'm holding off and my gas will mostly be satisfied by lenses as they are to me more immediately different and more of a quick fix fun :D

Oh, other reasons to hold off buying a new camera... Mrs WW's visa is up shortly and she'll be going for Indefinite Leave To Remain which costs £2,404 and straight after that she wants citizenship which costs £1,330. Coming to the UK legally costs a lot and this is after the "marriage visa" and two "Further Leave To Remains" which all cost a pretty penny.
I wonder why they changed it :thinking:

Sussed it ;) Got it set to go straight to x6 magnify & half press to cancel ;)

Need to change the 'disp' button too though as I had that set either 'level' or 'histogram'

Still not shot with an AF lens though yet :ROFLMAO:

Ummmm.....

It was something like.... focus magnify where you pick the magnification it defaults to.

And something like AF in magnify turned off.

I don't have the camera in front of me right now so I'm trying to engage the brain gears :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, I’ll have another look at the settings.

Camera menu 1

13/14

Initial focus mag - x6.2 (for me)
AF in focus mag - OFF

(y)

Now i've helped you guys with something MF related, I'll expect answers when I start asking confusing eye/tracking/lock on/expandable type AF questions.....! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks for this (y)

Camera menu 1

13/14

Initial focus mag - x6.2 (for me)
AF in focus mag - OFF

(y)

Now i've helped you guys with something MF related, I'll expect answers when I start asking confusing eye/tracking/lock on/expandable type AF questions.....! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This is like watching someone move from a Ford Anglia to a Tesla lol

Another question regarding lenses with heavy correction profiles, is the image you see in the EVF shown with or without corrections?

The reason for the question is whether you have to compose the shot leaving some ‘wiggle room’ so that when you apply lens corrections in Lightroom (or alternative software) you’re not going to crop something of, or will the image in the EVF show the same fov as the corrected image in Lightroom.

This all assumes lens corrections are turned on in camera.

Another question regarding lenses with heavy correction profiles, is the image you see in the EVF shown with or without corrections?

The reason for the question is whether you have to compose the shot leaving some ‘wiggle room’ so that when you apply lens corrections in Lightroom (or alternative software) you’re not going to crop something of, or will the image in the EVF show the same fov as the corrected image in Lightroom.

Not got a clue! Sorry!

I have the 24mm f2.8 G which has quite a bit of distortion but I don't remember seeing it in the EVF. Googling got me here...

"The default Distortion Compensation setting is normally Off for the A7, but is forced to Auto when some lenses such as the 28-70mm lens are mounted."

So, that could be the case for the A7 but I don't know about later cameras.

I have the 24mm f2.8 G which has quite a bit of distortion but I don't remember seeing it in the EVF. Googling got me here...

"The default Distortion Compensation setting is normally Off for the A7, but is forced to Auto when some lenses such as the 28-70mm lens are mounted."

So, that could be the case for the A7 but I don't know about later cameras.
Thanks. I'll do some experimenting with my Sigma 85mm dg dn to see if I can figure it out (y)

Last edited:
When I was doing my degree in Architecture, that bendy building was brought to my attention but when I went to Prague, I totally forgot about it! Quite gutted.

I do have a story at the top of the clock tower...I went to the top at night to take photos and a group of 4 tourists asked me to take a photo of them. It was an entry level Canon DSLR, with a pop up flash.

The camera was in Auto but I wanted to give some background of the city being we are up top so I turned Auto to Av, changed ISO so i could see the atomsphere, let the flash just to fill. I also changed focus points to spot and exposure to Evaluative. Being a Canon user everything was familiar so I did it all very quickly took the photo and showed it to them. They were happy and before I could put everything back to Auto....they took the camera back.

I always thought about whether they thought "That guy broke our camera!" after that.

Nk5QNpV.jpg

Last edited:
When I was doing my degree in Architecture, that bendy building was brought to my attention but when I went to Prague, I totally forgot about it! Quite gutted.

I do have a story at the top of the clock tower...I went to the top at night to take photos and a group of 4 tourists asked me to take a photo of them. It was an entry level Canon DSLR, with a pop up flash.

The camera was in Auto but I wanted to give some background of the city being we are up top so I turned Auto to Av, changed ISO so i could see the atomsphere, let the flash just to fill. I also changed focus points to spot and exposure to Evaluative. took the photo and showed it to them. They were happy and before I could put everything back to Auto....they took the camera back.

I always thought about whether they thought "that guy broke our camera!" after that.

Nk5QNpV.jpg
I assume you mean the Dancing House? It's a little out of the way but it serves great coffee in the cafe ;) That's a great vantage point you had for that shot, where was it taken from? Being that height you've not got the dreaded keystone effect. I always think keystone correction makes it look more odd so I just leave the slanted buildings as they are :runaway:

I assume you mean the Dancing House? It's a little out of the way but it serves great coffee in the cafe ;) That's a great vantage point you had for that shot, where was it taken from? Being that height you've not got the dreaded keystone effect. I always think keystone correction makes it look more odd so I just leave the slanted buildings as they are :runaway:

There is a store where that is and upstairs is a rooftop restaurant. We had dinner there, was quite good actually and not that expensive...at the time.

MfP9eVD.jpg

This is from the Clock Tower looking back, see that roof top?

7h6E7aQ.jpg

Just got this email from Tamron

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 14.04.01.jpg

Last edited:
The rumor guy says that a new camera is coming in March but that it's not an A9III or A7cII...

Well, that's not too long to wait and I'm sure the rumours will get a bit more detailed as the time approaches but what could it be?

An RX something or other maybe? A6xxx?
Wasn’t there rumoured to be a new RX1R?

A few weeks ago with the A7 & 24GM.

I actually went here Friday evening for night skies. Saturday sunrise & got fogged in as the sun came up! So tried again on the Sunday morning!

*** by Lee, on Flickr
Beautiful light again, makes it feel very tranquil.

Beautiful light again, makes it feel very tranquil.

Thank you.

This is actually a blend of two images if I'm being honest......!!

Most of it is a single church/sky shot from right on sunrise. Then I waited around a bit with a flask of hot chocolate waiting for the sun to light some of the foreground ;)

Thank you.

This is actually a blend of two images if I'm being honest......!!

Most of it is a single church/sky shot from right on sunrise. Then I waited around a bit with a flask of hot chocolate waiting for the sun to light some of the foreground ;)
Worth the wait (y)

If you don't mind my asking, where did you do that? I studied at the Welsh School of Architecture in Cardiff in the late 80s - though these days I design online trading and ERP systems

I did my degree in Plymouth but my Part 2 in Brighton, it was in Brighton when I met my professor where he showed me (the class) of some slides of his travels and that building was on it, it was the first time I seen it, this was like back in 2002.

I did my degree in Plymouth but my Part 2 in Brighton, it was in Brighton when I met my professor where he showed me (the class) of some slides of his travels and that building was on it, it was the first time I seen it, this was like back in 2002.
Aha - I attended a Winter School event at Plymouth some time around 1987 and did a module under the tutelage of Adrian Gale, who was quite a character, to say the least. He was very interested in restaurants (both designing and eating in them) as I recall.

I see you're in Hereford - not far from my mum's place in Madley :)

@woof woof it appears some companies still want to make compact primes (y)

Smaller lenses are always welcome but I have the Sony 24 and 35mm f2.8's and they're small enough for me.

Battle of the big fat 85mm f1.2's...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kYH8SKV37g

I assume Sony will make one sometime soon and if they do it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

These lenses don't interest me at all but I do like to see the reviews and good luck to those who see a use for them and like the look.

Oh, I watched this one earlier but I can't see they got any results that wow'd me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFy7CdY2X0s

Last edited:
Back