The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I not really talking about taking pictures but rather how some people talk on forums.

The dark examples here are rather extreme and maybe someone will shoot in that light but I don't think many people will be shooting in it. Real world shooting is the test that matters.

Yeah, I usually struggle with reviews on YouTube etc because they are all static subjects and it's just someone focusing on toy figurines or something in decent light. Any bloody af camera can do that... for me it's a hands on thing, unfortunately that means buying it all.

Wow!

I found this kickstarter extraordinarily difficult to read due to the remorseless eye rolling it induced :)

If you haven't read it, here are a few quotes:

"The world's first, fastest & coolest always-in-focus lens"
No, no, no and again NO! It may be the first interchangeable lens to be offered in a range of colours...but probably not.

"revolutionary type of lens"
I think not, the lens design originated in 1902 and such 'technology', or more accurately lack of technology, has been available in cameras for decades.

"the next big thing in photography"
Until the next 'big thing' comes along in a week or two.

"The CITOGRAPH 35mm is the world’s first ever hyperfocal citography lens"
True, because...

"Citography is a completely new form of spontaneous and pure photography"
...because it's something you've JUST INVENTED!

"hyperfocal technology"
It's not a 'technology', it's an optical definition.

This 'new' concept in lens design and 'technology' is brought to you by C. P. Goerz American Optical Co Inc., which their own website's history section says...
"In 1972, the C.P.Goerz American Optical Company merged with Schneider-Optics and Goerz thus disappeared."

I look forward to the myriad of photography blogs and websites running exhaustive comparisons between this revolutionary "hyperfocal technology" and the current "focus free" technology, which was formerly known as a fixed-focus lens.

While I'm typing this with my tongue very firmly wedged in my cheek (not recommended while drinking hot coffee!) I wish the guy every success as it looks like he'll reach his kickstarter goal of $30,000 (launched yesterday and currently at $21,502).

Apologies for the off topic post, but I had to vent a little.

Last edited:

Wow!

I found this kickstarter extraordinarily difficult to read due to the remorseless eye rolling it induced :-)

If you haven't read it, here are a few quotes:

"[I][B]The world's first, fastest & coolest always-in-focus lens[/B][/I]"
No, no, no and again NO! It may be the first interchangeable lens to be offered in a range of colours...but probably not.

"[I][B]revolutionary type of lens[/B][/I]"
I think not, the lens design originated in 1902 and such 'technology', or more accurately lack of technology, has been available in cameras for decades.

"[I][B]the next big thing in photography[/B][/I]"
Until the next 'big thing' comes along in a week or two.

"[I][B]The CITOGRAPH 35mm is the world’s first ever hyperfocal citography lens[/B][/I]"
True, because...

"[I][B]Citography is a completely new form of spontaneous and pure photography[/B][/I]"
...because it's something you've JUST INVENTED!

"[I][B]hyperfocal technology[/B][/I]"
It's not a 'technology', it's an optical [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance']definition[/URL].

This 'new' concept in lens design and 'technology' is brought to you by C. P. Goerz American Optical Co Inc., which their own website's history section says...
"In 1972, the C.P.Goerz American Optical Company merged with Schneider-Optics and Goerz thus disappeared."

I look forward to the myriad of photography blogs and websites running exhaustive comparisons between this revolutionary "hyperfocal technology" and the current "focus free" technology, which was formerly known as a fixed-focus lens.

While I'm typing this with my tongue very firmly wedged in my cheek (not recommended while drinking hot coffee!) I wish the guy every success as it looks like he'll reach his kickstarter goal of $30,000 (launched yesterday and currently at $21,502).

Apologies for the off topic post, but I had to vent a little.

I agree with everything you've posted. Essentially it's a 100 year old triplet lens design with no focusing helicoid or AF motor and people are still willing to pay over £250 because it's being pitched to "street photographers"

Fools and their money...

I agree with everything you've posted. Essentially it's a 100 year old triplet lens design with no focusing helicoid or AF motor and people are still willing to pay over £250 because it's being pitched to "street photographers"

Fools and their money...

and please don't forget for its "character and rendering"

Some photos from the Hot Rod event at the Ace Cafe
5th of July 2017

Hot Rod night at the Ace Cafe London by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

More on my flickr

Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II
I have been shooting with this combo for about an year.
I have around 40 000 images (most of the them using the combo above)
As long your subject is not moving very fast - not a problem at all.

There is a new firmware update for the Sigma MC-11, will need to upgrade and test it

Last edited:
There is a new firmware update for the Sigma MC-11, will need to upgrade and test it

Just updated the firmware on the MC-11
1.02 -> 1.07

Tested with a couple of lenses.
I didn't see any significant difference at all.

Still this occasionally AF hunting with Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens
Was hoping that it will become better and faster.
But the positive side of that lens is that it is incredibly sharp on the A7R II. Almost sharp as Sigma 35mm ART.
And the AF works. Well, not always :)

A7 and Minolta 35mm f1.8.

DSC07685.jpg

Critters at 100%.

DSC07658.jpg

We saw several blokes with cameras, all old stylee DSLR's. None of the women we saw had a camera though.

One last one :D

DSC07654.jpg

Last edited:

Fools and their money...

Rumour is riz has gone full beans and intends on being a majority shareholder :eek:

100% crop from the above...

2-DSC07667.jpg

I'm often pleasantly surprised by how good these old lenses are :D

Wahey!! Congrats, that's really awesome. You better treat her right you wippasnappa.

I will but there's really no need as I can always swap her for her best friend :D
(Her best friend said so :D)

I will but there's really no need as I can always swap her for her best friend :D
(Her best friend said so :D)

All the best for tomorrow. And remember - it's never too late to back out!

Seriously though, good luck.

Although I'm kind of disappointed there was no forum stag do...That would have been fun. Tie you up, drive you out into the middle of the desert and leave you for dead. :tumbleweed:

Best wishes :)
I hope you have a lovely day, today my day is going to be filled with buying stuff, not camera or gadget based stuff unfortunately :(

Back