The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yea i was considering that. But the 1.4x is also out of stock everywhere it seems or people selling for same price as the 2x

Might just use the Canon 70-200 with 1.4x as that seems to work fine on the metabones

In stock here, and yes the prices have risen, perhaps due to demand.
https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Sony-14x-E-Mount-Teleconverter_SEL14TC

At one point Jessops were selling them for £350 which was a bargain looking back, the 1.4x is now more expensive than the 2.0x version, I have heard mixed reviews about the 2.0x version so opting for the 1.4x myself. :D

In stock here, and yes the prices have risen, perhaps due to demand.
https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/Sony-14x-E-Mount-Teleconverter_SEL14TC

At one point Jessops were selling them for £350 which was a bargain looking back, the 1.4x is now more expensive than the 2.0x version, I have heard mixed reviews about the 2.0x version so opting for the 1.4x myself. :D
Yea. Expensive as hell that is!

Might buy MC-11 adapter and rent the 160-600 sigma and see how that goes

Yea. Expensive as hell that is!

Might buy MC-11 adapter and rent the 160-600 sigma and see how that goes
Yes it is expensive but what can you do, I doubt prices will come down now, if anything they may go up!
I am hoping Sony make G Master versions of the following:-

35mm f1.4 GM
50/55mm f1.4 GM
120mm f2.8 Macro GM

:D

Yes it is expensive but what can you do, I doubt prices will come down now, if anything they may go up!

35mm f1.4 GM
50/55mm f1.4 GM
120mm f2.8 Macro GM

I'd settle for a 50mm macro that works.

35mm f1.4 GM
50/55mm f1.4 GM
120mm f2.8 Macro GM

Genuine question. GAS aside, do you genuinely think that current lens offerings in 35mm/55mm aren't good enough for what you actually shoot or do you just need the G badge regardless? Hasn't the 55/1.8 already been reviewed as one of the sharpest rendering lenses around and the 35/1.4 isn't a million miles off?

There's no real need for Sony to invest heavily in developing a G Master macro when you can just as easily adapt an existing excellent Canon/Nikon macro lens seeing as AF isn't a requirement for macro.

Genuine question. GAS aside, do you genuinely think that current lens offerings in 35mm/55mm aren't good enough for what you actually shoot or do you just need the G badge regardless? Hasn't the 55/1.8 already been reviewed as one of the sharpest rendering lenses around and the 35/1.4 isn't a million miles off?

There's no real need for Sony to invest heavily in developing a G Master macro when you can just as easily adapt an existing excellent Canon/Nikon macro lens seeing as AF isn't a requirement for macro.

The current Zeiss 35 and 50mm 1.4 lenses are stellar but they lack the AF-hold button which I use for Eye-AF :D
Sony is steam rolling ahead so I am certain they will do G Master variants of the 35 and 50mm eventually :)

And it looks like Sony has finally woken up the competition ....... interesting times...

Nikon CEO Kazuo Ushida confirmed at Newswitch.jp that they are working on a new professional mirrorless camera system. In his words this will be a “Nikon-rashii” camera which means it will be unique and different from other companies in terms of performance.
:eek::D

The current Zeiss 35 and 50mm 1.4 lenses are stellar but they lack the AF-hold button which I use for Eye-AF :D
Sony is steam rolling ahead so I am certain they will do G Master variants of the 35 and 50mm eventually :)

Ok, I haven't used the af-hold button a lot (I rented a 70-200f4 for the last wedding I covered and didn't use the button at all) but doesn't the AF hold when you half-press the shutter button on the camera?

I'd have thought that holding AF when shooting at f1.4 would mean a lot of oof shots through tiny amounts of movement?

Annnnnd, on the subject of modern lenses...

I looking at Voiglanders and specifically the 35mm f1.2, 1.4 and 2.5 and the 50mm f1.1. If I got one/some I'd probably go for a close focus adapter but I'm a bit worried about reports I've read about the effect of the thicker (than Leica which I assume the Voigtlanders were designed for) Sony sensor glass and it causing corner smearing, colour shifts and other nastie.

My 35mm C-Biogon is close to the A6000 sensor apparently. I do notice a magenta cast to the sky in the corners of the frame very, very occasionally. There is no smearing that I've ever noticed. I've not noticed it at all with the 25mm Biogon. The difference is the c- stands for compact, making the last lens closer to the film/sensor plane. I doubt the 35mm and 50mm Voigtlanders suffer from smearing and colour shifts. Well not any more than the lens themselves do. It's the compact color-skopar ultra-wide <35mm lenses that you need to do your very careful research on.

The Voigtlander close-focus adapter is very expensive for what it is IMHO. I have a cheap Chinese one that is adequate. I looked at the 40mm Heliar collapsible, but was put off by comments that focusing the thing using the VME CFA was more miss than hit. I've taken a few close ups using my 35mm and the only way to nail the focus is to use the CFA to get near then use the lens' own helicoid to get the last bit. I've no reason to believe the VME is any better than my generic.

Ok, I haven't used the af-hold button a lot (I rented a 70-200f4 for the last wedding I covered and didn't use the button at all) but doesn't the AF hold when you half-press the shutter button on the camera?

I'd have thought that holding AF when shooting at f1.4 would mean a lot of oof shots through tiny amounts of movement?
Hi,

sorry I should have explained better, I love the Sony's Eye-AF function, I find it vital for nailing focus right bang on the eye which takes away some of the stress when shooting weddings etc, I re-map the AF-Hold button for it to function as the Eye-AF function, so I just compose and then press the AF-Hold button and it locks on to the persons eye rather than trying to press and additional button on the body. :)

35mm f1.4 GM
50/55mm f1.4 GM
120mm f2.8 Macro GM

the Sony zeiss version of the 35mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 are supposed be rather exceptional. I doubt they'll remake those in GM version.

once i get my head around this bloody camera i am going to be happy. I already prefer it to the fuji but cant use it properly! what does that say to the fuji.
Anyways i'll post some test photos in a second for you with my 35mm f2.8

I can't see Nikon or Canon going all out with a genuine blank sheet full on mirrorless design (with a short registration distance) A7/A9 rival. I may be wrong but surely if they do anything it'll be something fully compatible with their existing lenses? But then again surely they'll have to move away from their current SLR mounts sooner or later?

One thing I will say is that there's no reason why either Canon or Nikon or anyone we haven't heard of couldn't bring out a state of the art mirrorless design. All these companies have access to the same technologies and markets, it's just a matter of time and money and having the corporate will (and money) to buy in the expertise and go with it.

I can't see Nikon or Canon going all out with a genuine blank sheet full on mirrorless design (with a short registration distance) A7/A9 rival. I may be wrong but surely if they do anything it'll be something fully compatible with their existing lenses? But then again surely they'll have to move away from their current SLR mounts sooner or later?

One thing I will say is that there's no reason why either Canon or Nikon or anyone we haven't heard of couldn't bring out a state of the art mirrorless design. All these companies have access to the same technologies and markets, it's just a matter of time and money and having the corporate will (and money) to buy in the expertise and go with it.
Why do they need new mount lenses for a mirrorless?

Why do they need new mount lenses for a mirrorless?
They don't need a new mount, didn't Pentax do one and keep the old mount?

It's just my opinion but in 20 years time can you see mirrorless cameras having a big empty space in them? People will ask... "Why is there a big empty space in my camera?"

Time will tell.

I wonder if Sony will still play as nicely with Nikon on sensors if they're directly in competition on full frame mirror less....

I believe Sony Digital Imaging is separate devision to the Sony Sensor Business, this means they are not allowed to withhold sensor technology availability to direct competitors, it would also mean Sony sells less sensors which means less profits. Sony DI do however get a 6 month exclusivity on newly developed sensors, this is why Sony DI has been churning out new bodies quickly to utilize that 6 month advantage.

I believe its down to competition law(s), however the cost per unit is determined by the Sony Sensor Business so it could be they artificially price the Sensor at a level where most of the competition is put off.

I would guess the new Nikon D820/850 will get the 42.2mp sensor which the Sony A7RII has used.
:)

Last edited:
What are you struggling with?
Life.... No just setting it up for ease of use. I like having the dot I can move for focus like a normal camera. It's odd not to have it and keep enabling it..unless I've lost the point
They don't need a new mount, didn't Pentax do one and keep the old mount?

It's just my opinion but in 20 years time can you see mirrorless cameras having a big empty space in them? People will ask... "Why is there a big empty space in my camera?"

Time will tell.
If Nikon or canon wanted to rule the mirrorless market they just keep the current mounts they have. And then instantly they will be leaders. A body upgrade is expensive but not as expensive as changing the whole lot.
Stop it!

You're making me hot!
Haha. I do like the RAWs they are nice they take a long time to load.

Just a heads up folks..
Amazon Primeday have some Sony deals....

Sony A6300 = £674 then - £150 Sony Cash Back = £524
Sony A7 = £719 then - £100 Sony Cash Back = £619
Sony A7S = £1250 - £200 Sony Cash Back = £1050
Sony RX100 III = £427 - £75 Sony Cash Back = £352

I have picked up the Sony RX100 III for Holiday Snaps! But was really temped to get the Sony A7 or A7S :D
Happy GAS days!

Just a heads up folks..
Amazon Primeday have some Sony deals....

Sony A6300 = £674 then - £150 Sony Cash Back = £524
Sony A7 = £719 then - £100 Sony Cash Back = £619
Sony A7S = £1250 - £200 Sony Cash Back = £1050
Sony RX100 III = £427 - £75 Sony Cash Back = £352

I have picked up the Sony RX100 III for Holiday Snaps! But was really temped to get the Sony A7 or A7S :D
Happy GAS days!

Decent deals there. That a7 with the kit lens?

Expensive month for you mate

Back