The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just a heads up folks..
Amazon Primeday have some Sony deals....

Sony A6300 = £674 then - £150 Sony Cash Back = £524
Sony A7 = £719 then - £100 Sony Cash Back = £619
Sony A7S = £1250 - £200 Sony Cash Back = £1050
Sony RX100 III = £427 - £75 Sony Cash Back = £352

I have picked up the Sony RX100 III for Holiday Snaps! But was really temped to get the Sony A7 or A7S :D
Happy GAS days!
Damm. No discount on any g master lenses

With the Sony cashback as well that's a good deal for the A7/28-70. I'm tempted to pick one up and sell on my A6000/lenses if I like it.

Yes, its a cracking price, I am going to pass and stick with my RX100 III as this is more useful for personal snaps. :)

I believe Sony Digital Imaging is separate devision to the Sony Sensor Business, this means they are not allowed to withhold sensor technology availability to direct competitors, it would also mean Sony sells less sensors which means less profits. Sony DI do however get a 6 month exclusivity on newly developed sensors, this is why Sony DI has been churning out new bodies quickly to utilize that 6 month advantage.

I believe its down to competition law(s), however the cost per unit is determined by the Sony Sensor Business so it could be they artificially price the Sensor at a level where most of the competition is put off.

I would guess the new Nikon D820/850 will get the 42.2mp sensor which the Sony A7RII has used.
:)

I'm not sure its competition laws, at the end of the day Sony can't be forced to sell sensors to anyone, at the end of the day Nikon, Pentax and Canon (some sensors) buy them because they're really the only game in town, although I suspect there might be a fairly tight commercial agreement between Nikon and Sony, I'f be interested to see when it runs out as that 6 month exclusivity could get pushed out further potentially... I believe Pentax already have to wait 12 months to get the newer sensors from them!

I'm not sure its competition laws, at the end of the day Sony can't be forced to sell sensors to anyone, at the end of the day Nikon, Pentax and Canon (some sensors) buy them because they're really the only game in town, although I suspect there might be a fairly tight commercial agreement between Nikon and Sony, I'f be interested to see when it runs out as that 6 month exclusivity could get pushed out further potentially... I believe Pentax already have to wait 12 months to get the newer sensors from them!
It's a bit like f1 engines. Yes Mercedes share there engines to other teams but a stock version of it. Not a bespoke one that Mercedes team uses and dominated seasons

I think its good Sony are selling sensors to competitors which results in extra £££ in the bank.
Sony do need to start thinking long-term, when Nikon and Canon start releasing competing mirrorless bodies using their existing lens line-up, they will end up retaining their professional customer base if the difference between the Nikon/Canon mirrorless offerings Vs. Sony is minimal.
Interesting times a head.

Yes, its a cracking price, I am going to pass and stick with my RX100 III as this is more useful for personal snaps. :)

I've just ordered one for delivery tomorrow :0)

I'll try it out alongside my A6000 and if I like it, i'll be selling my current kit;

A6000
Sony E 16-50
Sony E 50/1.8
Samyang 12/2

I'll miss my Samyang but will have to save the pennies to replace it with something else.

Do Nikon and Canon have to come up with something comparable. I look at the A9 and think "what does it have that my camera doesn't, and more importantly, I want.

The sensor isn't a game changer, it's not even the best sensor that Sony produce so no advantage there.

20 FPS. Yep I'd like that but it would have to do it all the time above a certain shutter speed. But it cannot go above 10 FPS with an adaptor and only 5 FPS with a flash. So overall no real advantage for me.

693 focus points. Yes I would definitely like more focus points over a wider area. 693 though? Not sure about that but I'd give it a go.

Autofocus performance remains to be seen. Some reviews say it's the best ever, some don't. Jury's out for me on that one.

Smaller size. No advantage to me at all. Carrying a tripod, gimbal head, 500mm and a 1DX MkII its the difference between leaving a can of coke in the car and taking it with me.

There's nothing else in it that appeals to me and is unlikely to in the future.

So a mirrorless D5 and 1DX MkII would be good enough.

I believe Sony Digital Imaging is separate devision to the Sony Sensor Business, this means they are not allowed to withhold sensor technology availability to direct competitors, it would also mean Sony sells less sensors which means less profits. Sony DI do however get a 6 month exclusivity on newly developed sensors, this is why Sony DI has been churning out new bodies quickly to utilize that 6 month advantage.

I believe its down to competition law(s), however the cost per unit is determined by the Sony Sensor Business so it could be they artificially price the Sensor at a level where most of the competition is put off.

:)

I can't see how this has anything to do with competition laws, not that I know anything about Japanese law. Sony, like any company are out to make money. If they can boost profits and reduce overheads by doing larger product runs by selling sensors elsewhere then that's good business so long as the competitor is using a different business model. So the present sell your sensors to anyone that wants them for a dslr, etc. makes good business sense. But as soon as the other customer wants to start making a very similar product to you then it's totally different. Basically are Sony confident they'd keep or enlarge market share if Nikon and Canon bring out a FF mirrorless system that uses native glass? Probably not so why continue to sell to them now they have become a direct competitor if it's just going to help your own demise? Or different option do they maybe see the writing on the wall if the big boys enter the game, in which case do they decide to cut their losses early and drop cameras to focus on the sensor side of the business? That's strategic planning. Maximising return, unfortunately not keeping fanboys happy.

I can't see how this has anything to do with competition laws, not that I know anything about Japanese law. Sony, like any company are out to make money. If they can boost profits and reduce overheads by doing larger product runs by selling sensors elsewhere then that's good business so long as the competitor is using a different business model. So the present sell your sensors to anyone that wants them for a dslr, etc. makes good business sense. But as soon as the other customer wants to start making a very similar product to you then it's totally different. Basically are Sony confident they'd keep or enlarge market share if Nikon and Canon bring out a FF mirrorless system that uses native glass? Probably not so why continue to sell to them now they have become a direct competitor if it's just going to help your own demise? Or different option do they maybe see the writing on the wall if the big boys enter the game, in which case do they decide to cut their losses early and drop cameras to focus on the sensor side of the business? That's strategic planning. Maximising return, unfortunately not keeping fanboys happy.

I guess that was kind of mu point earlier, until now Sony weren't really selling to direct competitors (A Mount is dead..) they seem to be very keen on the high end full-frame photography market which is why I think they might become more "awkward" with Nikon in particular going forward, depends what they think is going to make them more in the long run I guess.

Life.... No just setting it up for ease of use. I like having the dot I can move for focus like a normal camera. It's odd not to have it and keep enabling it..unless I've lost the point

If Nikon or canon wanted to rule the mirrorless market they just keep the current mounts they have. And then instantly they will be leaders. A body upgrade is expensive but not as expensive as changing the whole lot.

Haha. I do like the RAWs they are nice they take a long time to load.

I don't know which way they'll go but starting with a blank sheet I wonder what the mount and registration would be for best effect? And of course focus and/or lens technology developments could mean a move away from current lenses.

Canon have switched mounts and made people wail and gnash their teeth before so it's not impossible that they'll do so again at some point when technology and the market has moved on. Maybe they'll keep the mount for now and at some point in the future offer a true blank sheet design with an adapter to enable use of the (by then...) going obsolete museum piece EF lenses.

Just a heads up folks..
Amazon Primeday have some Sony deals....

Sony A6300 = £674 then - £150 Sony Cash Back = £524
Sony A7 = £719 then - £100 Sony Cash Back = £619
Sony A7S = £1250 - £200 Sony Cash Back = £1050
Sony RX100 III = £427 - £75 Sony Cash Back = £352

I have picked up the Sony RX100 III for Holiday Snaps! But was really temped to get the Sony A7 or A7S :D
Happy GAS days!

They're all very good prices :D

£619 for an A7 is amazing... they may not be lightening fast but for a casual walk about snapper or deliberate slow shooter an A7 is perfectly adequate.

I think its good Sony are selling sensors to competitors which results in extra £££ in the bank.
Sony do need to start thinking long-term, when Nikon and Canon start releasing competing mirrorless bodies using their existing lens line-up, they will end up retaining their professional customer base if the difference between the Nikon/Canon mirrorless offerings Vs. Sony is minimal.
Interesting times a head.

its good for sony. a7rii sensor has been about for 2 years without nikon having a sniff of it.
They're all very good prices :D

£619 for an A7 is amazing... they may not be lightening fast but for a casual walk about snapper or deliberate slow shooter an A7 is perfectly adequate.

and once the kit lens is sold off probably looking at an outlay of only £500

and once the kit lens is sold off probably looking at an outlay of only £500

I've thought about selling on the kit lens and buying something else but I think it's a reasonable range generic walkabout lens (if nothing spectacular in aperture like most kit lenses). I reckon it will do me for holidays etc as I'm going to be in Florida at the end of the year so it will be good for that. I'll also be using Zuiko manual lenses on it along with possibly picking up a Canon 17-40 for landscapes so AF isn't a concern for me.

I guess that was kind of mu point earlier, until now Sony weren't really selling to direct competitors (A Mount is dead..) they seem to be very keen on the high end full-frame photography market which is why I think they might become more "awkward" with Nikon in particular going forward, depends what they think is going to make them more in the long run I guess.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas! I think Sony would be bonkers to continue a collaboration with Nikon in light of the Nikon announcement. When I posted before I'd not seen the Nikon thread. Given that news if they aren't careful they could end up like Nokia and mobile phones.

This is just a straight eye level snap as we walked along the cliff top at Saltburn, you can see Roseberry Topping in the distance.

1-DSC07678.jpg

Just in case we forgot where we were and to let Mrs Woof Woof's family know too.

DSC07647.jpg

The Minolta 35mm f1.8 is quite a nice lens but a bit funky at f1.8. It's quite nicely made though and mine has appreciated in value since I bought it :D

I've thought about selling on the kit lens and buying something else but I think it's a reasonable range generic walkabout lens (if nothing spectacular in aperture like most kit lenses). I reckon it will do me for holidays etc as I'm going to be in Florida at the end of the year so it will be good for that. I'll also be using Zuiko manual lenses on it along with possibly picking up a Canon 17-40 for landscapes so AF isn't a concern for me.

I still haven't used my kit lens outside of the house and garden. I think it's quite an underrated little lens, I think it's actually a very good variable aperture standard zoom.

What Zuiko's will you be taking? I haven't used mine for quite a while as I always seem to reach for the Rokkors.

I still haven't used my kit lens outside of the house and garden. I think it's quite an underrated little lens, I think it's actually a very good variable aperture standard zoom.

What Zuiko's will you be taking? I haven't used mine for quite a while as I always seem to reach for the Rokkors.

From the examples I've seen on Flickr, I think the 28-70 is like most kit lenses and is a good performer when stopped down. It's never going to be a low light, wide aperture prime beater but for a walkabout/landscape lens it's fine.

I've got a Zuiko 50/3.5 macro and 50/1.4 Prime so will use those and might pick up a 28/35 as well.

Zuiko 35mm's seem rare but 28mm's are plentiful and cheap. I have one :D I love the small form factor of the 24 and 28mm f2.8's and 50mm f1.8.

Not that I've used a great number of kit lenses but the 28-70mm is very probably the best so far or at least it on my A7 gives the best results.

I asked about the Voigtlander 35 / 50mm lenses on DPR as there's more people over there and I got a reply which has really put me off the 35mm f1.2 and f2.5 and I assume the f1.4 will be as bad so I suppose I'll have to stop lusting after them. Such a shame as I've fancied them for a long time.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the SEL 24-70mm f4? Mine has packed up twice; first time was an apparently common problem, the electromagnet that controls focusing became detached (it's only held in place by a small blob of glue) . I've now had to send it off to Alan Marlow again, just a month after getting it back. This time it's a connector, which he has had to order from China, as Sony will not supply it to unauthorised repair shops.

I take it you're liking the new kit Neil?

It looks like you're happy as your pictures are never short of outstanding :D
hey dude thanks for the kind words, i hate my own work im full of self loath and hatred for it.
As for the camera its nice its a ballache and a half though i really dont get why anyone makes a camera so unituiative and claims it has good tech! It seriously is over complicated and muddled. I had 40000 icons on the screen the other day! i could barely see the screen :p
But it seems to focus well, its far nicer than the Fuji, i like the images. The 35mm seems good so far it is quick sometimes its looking for the image which can be annoying and the fact it cant be overridden is a chore but i have just kind of worked out the AF or MF button and the little hold in to focus peak!

I mostly just ignore the tech. I shoot aperture or manual mostly and the cleverest things I do are dial in exposure compensation and move the focus point.

You can maybe get the icons reduced a bit... I have info above and below but only the histogram actually in the image.

hey dude thanks for the kind words, i hate my own work im full of self loath and hatred for it.
As for the camera its nice its a ballache and a half though i really dont get why anyone makes a camera so unituiative and claims it has good tech! It seriously is over complicated and muddled. I had 40000 icons on the screen the other day! i could barely see the screen :p
But it seems to focus well, its far nicer than the Fuji, i like the images. The 35mm seems good so far it is quick sometimes its looking for the image which can be annoying and the fact it cant be overridden is a chore but i have just kind of worked out the AF or MF button and the little hold in to focus peak!

press up on the control wheel (display) as few times and then you can keep it with just the exposure information on screen.

This one is from the A7rii and Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 55mm f1.8. It's become my standard lens for night aerial photography, shooting at f2.8 (it's a tad soft at f1.8). It's easier to focus on the A7rii than the A7s; on the A7s you don't get as much magnification for focusing, and the focus peaking also seems to work better on the A7rii. In the daytime, focus peaking doesn't work with aerial shots with either camera, due to haze.

Liverpool, The Wirral and the Mersey by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Almost ordered the 70-200 g master lens lol but im holding out for the 100-400 instead. need that extra reach for the A9!!!!! Cant afford both the 70-200 and 100-400. Well i can but i dont want to be silly here.

Budapest stag doo-150-Pano.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Used the 70-200 f4 here in Berlin but tempted by the 100-400 for Motorsport..... And an A9 to attach to it...

Didn't you mention a book? If so is it out?

No, it's not finished yet: it's become a bit of a monster, with quite a bit of text as well as the images. I am also re-editing a lot of my earlier images, as my processing skills have improved a fair bit since I started. It will be finished this year in'shallah....

Back