The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

playing around with my new Laowa 65mm f/2,8 2x Macro.
First @2x, 1/250sec and f/5,6 lit by TT685 through diffusor
DSCF0459-JPEG sRGB 1600px for web.jpg

Second @ 1,25x, 1/250sec and f/5,6 as well lit by the small EF-X20 through diffusor
DSCF0492-JPEG sRGB 1600px for web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Regards the awesome Fuji XF200 f/2 lens which is a shade over 5k to purchase, are there any other fixed quality lenses that would do a similar job for a lot less me wonders?

I know there's the fabulous XF90, I have the Samyang 135mm f/2, but wondering about any other quality glass close to 200mm fixed length out there availability wise?

Seems Fuji don't have an in-between fixed lens length with their 90 and 200 lenses. Something like a 150mm f/2.8 would be cool.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers;
Peter

Last edited:
Regards the awesome Fuji XF200 f/2 lens which is a shade over 5k to purchase, are there any other fixed quality lenses that would do a similar job for a lot less me wonders?

I know there's the fabulous XF90, I have the Samyang 135mm f/2, but wondering about any other quality glass close to 200mm fixed length out there availability wise?

Seems Fuji don't have an in-between fixed lens length with their 90 and 200 lenses. Something like a 150mm f/2.8 would be cool.

Cheers;
Peter

Canon FD 200mm F2.8 manual focus though - not silly money

I've sold on my Laowa 100mm, beast of a lens but it was huge on an adapter even for the H1. I found over time 100mm is too in between for me on APSC also, it's too long for certain purposes like portrait or general shooting, and not long enough for say, birds in the garden or as a general tele lens. Just an awkward FL for me personally. 60mm is much more flexible, and I've owned the Nikon in the past and know it's as sharp as I'll ever need. I might get an old vintage 200 F4 for the birds [we've a small garden]

The Laowa is an amazing quality lens, but tbh, wasted on me as 1:1 macro is plenty enough. I was offered a Nikon 60mm 2.8D macro lens plus cash, total exceeding what I paid for the Laowa so I feel it was a good deal. Thinking on putting the rest to one of the Viltrox primes when they become readily available. Maybe the 23 1.4

Cheers;
Peter

You could get a fringer adapter and a used Canon 200 2.8 L, you could do this within £600 - I've had the fringer pro adapter and it works really well for AF

Looking to buy a new camera mainly for photography but will also take the occasional video. I have been looking to buy the XT3 but have am also considering buying the Sony A7r II.

What do you guys think?

Cheers;
Peter

I have used my 50-140 & a set of tubes, works well, but the close focus point is still a bit far away. Good for insects & stuff though as you don't disturb them.

Looking to buy a new camera mainly for photography but will also take the occasional video. I have been looking to buy the XT3 but have am also considering buying the Sony A7r II.

What do you guys think?

If you ask in here you will get a pro Fuji response if you ask in the Sony thread you'll get a pro Sony response.

One is FF, the other APSC, the Fuji probably has more advanced video options, but the Sony is much higher resolution at 42MP. If you want to print really big A1 for instance then the Sony is the way forward, however its user interface especially moving the focus point around isn't as nice as the Fuji nipple. That said there are both good cameras and both very capable.

The big difference is in the size and weight of the glass, Sony GM lenses are expensive compared to the excellent Fuji XF lens, they are also a lot heavier. Sony has more options with regard to adapted glass with adapters supporting Nikon/Canon lenses and extensive support from Tamron and SIgma.

It really depends on what you want to take pictures of and what you want to carry.

And why the A7R2 instead of the A73 (which arguably is a more direct competitor to the X-T3)

Before returning to Fuji and the X-H1 I also considered an A7RII. I did almost buy an A7III at one point, but the 7Rii has some benefits over it. Higher res and cheaper, and if like me you're not fussed about speedier AF then it should be fast enough. A few things turned me off - and they're personal preference; the clunky menu system on older Sony models, it's just all over the place - and though I realise you don't use the menu that much after initial set up, I'd use it enough for it to irritate me. Also the shutter sound on the 7Rii is just horrible, sounds like an old printer. Besides that, I felt to get the best out of a FF higher res sensor I'd want some nice glass, and well, I just can't afford the lenses I'd really want so I'd be forever yearning.

@Fuji Dave Terrible news mate - remember you have pals here that care. Be strong for you and your family. And please, if you need help and support, get it.

If you ask in here you will get a pro Fuji response if you ask in the Sony thread you'll get a pro Sony response.

One is FF, the other APSC, the Fuji probably has more advanced video options, but the Sony is much higher resolution at 42MP. If you want to print really big A1 for instance then the Sony is the way forward, however its user interface especially moving the focus point around isn't as nice as the Fuji nipple. That said there are both good cameras and both very capable.

The big difference is in the size and weight of the glass, Sony GM lenses are expensive compared to the excellent Fuji XF lens, they are also a lot heavier. Sony has more options with regard to adapted glass with adapters supporting Nikon/Canon lenses and extensive support from Tamron and SIgma.

It really depends on what you want to take pictures of and what you want to carry.

And why the A7R2 instead of the A73 (which arguably is a more direct competitor to the X-T3)
Yes I have heard about the great affordable Fuji lenes they provide, which is one of the reasons that had me looking at the xt3 in the first place.

I will mainly be using the camera for street photography

Do you think that there is a massive downfall in the XT3 not having IBIS?

The only reason why I chose the A7R II over the A7 III is due to the price tag.

Leo and Sunny you came into our lives on the 30th of April 2020 giving us all love and joy for all to see
Leo you were a fighter like something I`ve never seen but sadly one day later you lost the last and biggest fight of your life

They lay your tender little body next to your brother who was still fighting his battle for life before they took you away to join the angels way up above

Sunny you are just like your brother for the fight of your little life I really wish I could have been there for you both but sadly could not help even though mummy & daddy were with you both

Sunny & leo you both came into this strange world fighting from the start and sadly you both lost that fight

You gave us all the love you held straight from the start but now our little angels are safe and together again

Rip our little ones and please be safe while up above xx​

Dave,

Those are some of the most beautiful words I have ever read and a fitting tribute to Leo and Sunny. I am sending you a PM.

Yes I have heard about the great affordable Fuji lenes they provide, which is one of the reasons that had me looking at the xt3 in the first place.

I will mainly be using the camera for street photography

Do you think that there is a massive downfall in the XT3 not having IBIS?

The only reason why I chose the A7R II over the A7 III is due to the price tag.

Best for Street is small and discete, here the Fuji will win, The Fuji F2 lenses with a body make a nice street partner, AF on the X-T3 is snappy and the joystick makes moving the focus point very fast. IBIS isn't any benefit except for video and in stills if your target is stationery (most street targets are moving).

I use an X100F for street, set the AutoISO max to 6400 with a min shutter speed of 1/200th

What do you guys think?
Just because a body has IBIS doesn't guarantee stable footage handheld, it can help in some situations but to get the best quality you really need a gimbal. Personally I would buy a camera based on my stills requirements and get a GoPro 8 Black for video which has fantastic stabilisation, is waterproof and fits in your pocket, on offer at £279 at the moment. The reality of using a "proper" camera for video is different from specs on paper and YouTube video reviews.

Best for Street is small and discete, here the Fuji will win, The Fuji F2 lenses with a body make a nice street partner, AF on the X-T3 is snappy and the joystick makes moving the focus point very fast. IBIS isn't any benefit except for video and in stills if your target is stationery (most street targets are moving).

I use an X100F for street, set the AutoISO max to 6400 with a min shutter speed of 1/200th

If I were to take the occasional video would an OIS lens be adequate for video.

Thanks for the advice

Just because a body has IBIS doesn't guarantee stable footage handheld, it can help in some situations but to get the best quality you really need a gimbal. Personally I would buy a camera based on my stills requirements and get a GoPro 8 Black for video which has fantastic stabilisation, is waterproof and fits in your pocket, on offer at £279 at the moment. The reality of using a "proper" camera for video is different from specs on paper and YouTube video reviews.

What camera would you recommend for stills?

I dont really need ultra smooth IS just enough so the video is actually usuable.

Thanks for the response

What camera would you recommend for stills?

I dont really need ultra smooth IS just enough so the video is actually usuable.

Thanks for the response
At the moment the XT-3 is a good all rounder at a discounted price, if you don't mind something larger / heavier then the XH-1 is even better value for money with very similar IQ but professional level build quality. XH-1 also has IBIS.

If you want full frame I think the Z6 is a very nice camera since the latest firmware update, but you're looking at £2100 with 24-70 kit lens (albeit a very good kit lens).

If I were to take the occasional video would an OIS lens be adequate for video.

Thanks for the advice

It depends how steady your hands are. Pete's (@imattersuk) suggestion of a GoPro8 is a good one, as this has warp stalisation (digital IBIS) on board and works very effectively.

If you don't think you would need interchangeable lenses then an X100 family camera and a GoPro could be a good combination. Stretch to the X100V if you can as its weather sealed (with optional filter) or the X100F otherwise. These cameras are very discrete and ideal for street work. Need your brave pills to get in close though

HIPfest2018 - AmiStrachanPhotowalk1
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

I've sold on my Laowa 100mm, beast of a lens but it was huge on an adapter even for the H1. I found over time 100mm is too in between for me on APSC also, it's too long for certain purposes like portrait or general shooting, and not long enough for say, birds in the garden or as a general tele lens. Just an awkward FL for me personally. 60mm is much more flexible, and I've owned the Nikon in the past and know it's as sharp as I'll ever need. I might get an old vintage 200 F4 for the birds [we've a small garden]

The Laowa is an amazing quality lens, but tbh, wasted on me as 1:1 macro is plenty enough. I was offered a Nikon 60mm 2.8D macro lens plus cash, total exceeding what I paid for the Laowa so I feel it was a good deal. Thinking on putting the rest to one of the Viltrox primes when they become readily available. Maybe the 23 1.4
The 65mm Laowa and the 80mm fuji
DSC_0374.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The 65mm Laowa does look nice and tidy, that is what I would have preferred - but I got the 10mm version in Nikon mount for €150 less. I've also profitted selling it on, not directly as it was an offer made to me on the 60mm Nikon plus cash, depends on how you value the older Nikon really. But I'm sure I could sell it on if I wanted for close to 200.

Any Fuji'holics here own the Fuji XF200 f/2.......?........or even considered one at some point..?

It's a lens that's not much talked about.

Peter

Yes, and its "Excellent".

George.

Another good one mate, great use of colour. :D

I need to get my act together with the challenges, the 'tool' one has me a bit stumped.

Thanks, Jason :)
Hey it`s only for a bit of fun, so if you miss one week, or two, it`s no issue. But don`t forget it can be any sort of tool (except one ;)), so kitchen tools, desk tools etc

Dave
So sorry to hear the sad news, Condolence to all the family and please take care of yourselves.
Thinking of you all at this sad time.

Tonight's sunset on our local beach was one of those that got better the longer you stayed. This was my final shot, long after the sun had disappeared as the red glow deepened.

One of Those Sunsets by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Tonight's sunset on our local beach was one of those that got better the longer you stayed. This was my final shot, long after the sun had disappeared as the red glow deepened.

One of Those Sunsets
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr
Simply wow - superb capture Andrea, you should have that professionally printed!! That sky colour is sublime.
Great photography/talent.

Was this taken hand held or tripod I wonder?

Regards;
Peter

Last edited:
Back