The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hello All, wishing you a safe lock down.
We are still very much in the learning curve with our X-T20, and a very steep curve it is. We only have the XF 18- 55 lens as yet, a long term hobby of mine has been collecting old coins, I would like to photograph some of these but ofcourse this lens would not be of use for that? Would anyone suggest a lens from the XF or XC range that we should look at next. At the moment I am only using the camera in auto mode, am rather scared of delving too far in manual for the fear of not getting back to original setting.
Thanks for help given.
Paul

Hi Paul, And welcome aboard the Fuji thread.

George.

Thanks again Dave,
Showing my newby status now again; is there an XF/XC lens that can be used at small focal distance ie 12 - 18" but could also be used in more general shots.

If it was me taking the shots. it would be with one of the following lens XF50mm f2 XF35mm f2 or the XF16mm f2.8. All are great little lenses to use then for close up just crop in.

I think i'm correct in saying there's a full moon tonight, any excuse to go for a walk at the moment i'm on it, whether I can get a decent shot is another matter.

So I’m about to start doorstep portraits in my village. Had massive interest with 50% of all I make going to a local hospice. The shots will be grouped by road so I can literally walk or cycle to the houses and take the images. My question is this; 56 or 23? (gutted I no longer have the 90) I’m thinking for reach the 56?

Thanks again Dave,
Showing my newby status now again; is there an XF/XC lens that can be used at small focal distance ie 12 - 18" but could also be used in more general shots.
If it was me taking the shots. it would be with one of the following lens XF50mm f2 XF35mm f2 or the XF16mm f2.8. All are great little lenses to use then for close up just crop in.

I forgot to say, one more lens that could be great for you is the XF16mm f1.4. One of Fuji best for going in close and can be used for anything and everything sort of shot.

So I’m about to start doorstep portraits in my village. Had massive interest with 50% of all I make going to a local hospice. The shots will be grouped by road so I can literally walk or cycle to the houses and take the images. My question is this; 56 or 23? (gutted I no longer have the 90) I’m thinking for reach the 56?

+1 on the 56 (y)

Just a X body query/advice guys n' gals;

If moving from a X-T2 body, would you consider either a X-H1 or a X-T3 ? Any pluses or minuses either way..?

Cheers;
mac

I've never owned one, but there's a lot of love here for the H1. Personally, I think the T3 is a great camera, but you can get the H1 so cheap a the moment...

I would say 56, but a lot depends on how close the door step will be to you (or the street). You could always put the 23 in your pocket, just in case you get a large family or something like that :)

If moving from a X-T2 body, would you consider either a X-H1 or a X-T3 ? Any pluses or minuses either way..?

Cheers;
mac
If you went for the XT-3 the AF would be a revelation compared to the XT-2. It also has great video capabilities but a gimbal is essential and a right pain to master.

If you went for the XH-1 the ergonomics, build quality and in some situations the IBIS would be a revelation. You can get very good handheld video, obviously would be even better with a gimbal but perfectly usable in some situations without. Possible downside - weight depending on whether you want to stay with XT-2 levels.

Two very different beasts.

I've sold all of my T3's and reverted to the H1 until I decide my next move, the difference in build quality is really something.

Last edited:
I would say 56, but a lot depends on how close the door step will be to you (or the street). You could always put the 23 in your pocket, just in case you get a large family or something like that :)
This ^^^^

Cheers;
mac

I went from a T2 to H1, and am liking it a lot. I don`t need super speedy AF, as I mostly shoot static objects. The H is a chunk, but feels much nicer in the hand (I had a hand grip on my T2). I do like the IBIS, and although the top screen put me off at first, I`m fine with it now. That can also be customised to show just the things that are important to you. One small downside for me, is I keep catching the quick menu button with my thumb, but no real biggie. I`ll adapt, to minimalise that happening too often.

Last edited:
Cheers;
mac

Another X-T2 to X-H1 user here, if you shoot stills and are happy with the X-Trans3 sensor then its a no-brainer. Its worth the upgrade for the higher resolution EVF alone (IBIS is a bonus), yes its a bit bigger/heavier but does feel much more secure in the hand.

I dismissed the X-T3 as for me the only real benefits were improved EVF (on the X-H1 anyway) and faster AF (I don['t shoot much that moves)

The X-T4 though has noticably faster AF, so an X-H2 when it appears may well be my perfect camera (not that teh X-H1 and X100F aren't)

The X-H1 is a bit of a bargain at the moment, though X-T3 prices are dropping.

But if you don't need the improvements then stick with the X-T2, its still a great camera, spend the money on glass instead.

Last edited:
But if you don't need the improvements then stick with the X-T2, its still a great camera, spend the money on glass instead.

I think this has to be in capitals and underlined.

Yes, I love my T3, but I currently have a T2 mounted to the 100-400, on a tripod by the window so I can shoot the birds, and it still performs very well. Trying to follow Blue Tits as they hop around is difficult, so now I smear some peanut butter on some of the branches of my apple tree, so they will rest for a few seconds, and pre-focus.

If you look at how cheaply you can buy a good condition T2, it's a lot of camera for the money.

X-H1 is a cracking camera with a heft and build quality that eclipses my X-T3. It doesn’t focus as fast and its bulk over the X-T3 is noticeable, but it my preferred choice twixt the two. It is perfect fit in my hands and I love the top LCD.

The X-H1, coupled with a prime lens is a dream machine and it has re-ignited my love of the 90mm which never produced the absolute pin sharp images it is capable of on my (now sold) X-T2 or my current X-T3.

My 90mm was going to be sold as I just couldn’t get on with it despite all the glowing reviews, enter the X-H1 and the transformation has been astonishing. IBIS is wonderful and whilst I accept that it doesn’t matter for many, it has been for me.

Simply put, the X-H1 is my favourite Fuji mirrorless. It ticks so many boxes for me that I have put off getting an X-T4 and hope that an X-H2 will eventually arrive. I keep the X-T3 for my 50-140 and 100-400mm lenses and the X-H1 for everything else.

If and when the FujiFilm refurb site re-opens, the X-H1 body or with the grip at £599 and £699 respectively make a very compelling case over an X-T2.

Cheers;
mac

I can't really give a comparison with a T2 as I went straight from the X-T1, which I kept as I feel that its sensor seems to give a nicer result for portraits, to the X-H1.

I've owned mine since August 2018 and in my opinion, which is all this is, an opinion, the plusses and minuses are these.

Plusses

It has the finest build quality of any X series camera.
The only words I can use to describe the shutter release and shutter sound is beautifully soft.
The larger grip transforms the handling, I moved to Fuji from a Nikon system, D700, as my wrists were telling me I was getting old, and fitted a third party grip to the XiT1 as I found it awkward to use without the additional grip.
The IBIS system made any worry about camera shake when using my 16-55 F2.8 and 90 f2 a thing of the past. Also those two lenses, particularly the 16-55, are much better balanced on the X-H1 due to its greater size and weight.
The viewfinder is a delight to use, with the bigger top housing the round eyecup from the GFX is a good fit and the one with the side extension excludes all side light.

Negatives

It is heavier than the other X-series camera, inevitably so given the superior build.
The battery grip is also heavier for the same reason plus it contains two batteries.
The diopter adjustment is not lockable, but then neither is the T2's.

There are other plusses and minuses, but for me, these are the main ones.

My advice would be to hold the X-H1 in your hands and you may well find like quite a few others, including me, you won't want to put it down.:D

Cheers;
mac

X-H1, without a doubt. In my honest opinion I’ve never used a better APS-C camera from any manufacturer. It just feels & handles right.

“As for the AF, yes it is a tad (and only a tad) slower than the X-T3, but over the past two years we as a company have been using X-H1 units exclusively for all our motor sport photography (including F1), not many things on the ground move quicker than an F1 car at full bore and the AF & tracking kept up with them without any problems. As for build quality they are excellent and with regards to reliability we’ve not experienced one break down with any of our twenty one ( yes twenty one) units”

George.

Last edited:
I can't really give a comparison with a T2 as I went straight from the X-T1, which I kept as I feel that its sensor seems to give a nicer result for portraits, to the X-H1.

I've owned mine since August 2018 and in my opinion, which is all this is, an opinion, the plusses and minuses are these.

Plusses

It has the finest build quality of any X series camera.
The only words I can use to describe the shutter release and shutter sound is beautifully soft.
The larger grip transforms the handling, I moved to Fuji from a Nikon system, D700, as my wrists were telling me I was getting old, and fitted a third party grip to the XiT1 as I found it awkward to use without the additional grip.
The IBIS system made any worry about camera shake when using my 16-55 F2.8 and 90 f2 a thing of the past. Also those two lenses, particularly the 16-55, are much better balanced on the X-H1 due to its greater size and weight.
The viewfinder is a delight to use, with the bigger top housing the round eyecup from the GFX is a good fit and the one with the side extension excludes all side light.

Negatives

It is heavier than the other X-series camera, inevitably so given the superior build.
The battery grip is also heavier for the same reason plus it contains two batteries.
The diopter adjustment is not lockable, but then neither is the T2's.

There are other plusses and minuses, but for me, these are the main ones.

My advice would be to hold the X-H1 in your hands and you may well find like quite a few others, including me, you won't want to put it down.:D
I tried the H1 on a number of occasions but just couldn’t get comfortable with it in the hand vs the XT-2. As evidenced by the comments from H1 owners, I am clearly in the minority. Not wanting to be a contrarian but it perhaps demonstrates the importance of handling a camera before purchase. Difficult I know in the current climate. Just my tuppence worth.

I'm not sure if I posted this here before. The 80mm Fuji and the 65mm LaowaDSC_0374.JPG

a gimbal is essential and a right pain to master.

@imattersuk
Pete, Have you any experience of using a gimbal with the Fuji-X units and if so what gimbal ?

I've got myself quite heavily into video at the moment mainly with my iPhone documenting my Covid 19 delivery travels, so I purchased a "DJI mobile 3" gimbal, and very good it is too once you stop it from having a mind of its own and take note of the instructions on how to use it properly.

I've also got a gimbal for my "Sony RX100M6" which is just fine but unfortunately the RX won't take an external mic, and the gimbal won't take anything much heavier than the RX. I'd like to get a gimbal for using with my Fuji-X units but I haven't a clue as to what to get. I don't want anything too cumbersome, just something that will take the weight of the Fuji with say up to the 55-200mm lens.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.

Last edited:
Thanks again Dave,
XC 35 f2 focuses downt to 14" afaik, cracking tiny cheap(ISH) lens.

@imattersuk
Pete, Have you any experience of using a gimbal with the Fuji-X units and if so what gimbal ?

I've got myself quite heavily into video at the moment mainly with my iPhone documenting my Covid 19 delivery travels, so I purchased a "DJI mobile 3" gimbal, and very good it is too once you stop it from having a mind of its own and take note of the instructions on how to use it properly.

I've also got a gimbal for my "Sony RX100M6" which is just fine but unfortunately the RX won't take an external mic, and the gimbal won't take anything much heavier than the RX. I'd like to get a gimbal for using with my Fuji-X units but I haven't a clue as to what to get. I don't want anything too cumbersome, just something that will take the weight of the Fuji with say up to the 55-200mm lens.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

George.
Hi George

I tried the Feiyutech A2000 with the XT-3 and I just found the whole experience to be wholly unenjoyable as like most units it doesn't support Fujifilm. I believe the new DJi Ronin SC Pro Combo might be better but not with the XH-1, too large and the eye cup prevents normal operation, should be fine with the XT-3. The other consideration is battery life, as we know you really need a grip with 3 batteries when shooting video and that narrows down compatibility even more. I don't see the point in a gimbal unless it allows full control over the camera and most seem geared to Sony.

Sorry I can't help more but i'm still researching this area myself and will let you know if I find something suitable, personally i'm leaning towards a GoPro8 for my needs.

That deserves to be on the wall, mate. Lovely (y)

This is absolutely stunning, great atmosphere, tones and composition.
This is really beautiful, Jason - so atmospheric!
"Cracking" Fujigraph, nuff said.

George.
Lovely image
That's a belter Jason, enter it into landscape photographer of the year.
That is very nice and something special.

Thanks all, glad you like it. :)

Jason, that's an excellent capture, idyllic landscape photography, really beautiful scene. Very calming....love this!

Which X body and lens were used for this shot can I ask? Have it professionally printed - WOW

Regards;
Peter

Cheers Peter. It was with the XT2 and 16-55. :)

I think @Cagey75 had that one :thinking:

I had a Nikon fit Laowa 100mm, pretty much just the FF equivilant of the 65mm for APSC - amazing quality lens, well worth the money I'd say. I sold the 100mm though as it was pretty hefty and not very well balanced using an adapter even on the H1. As I do all of my macro hand held, it could get tiring. I traded for a Nikon 60mm 2.8 macro which is a lot lighter, plus cash. I don't have any other lenses atm, saving on side to get maybe a 23 or another 35 for general use.

Back