The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I hope this is OK...
Garry Edwards has set up a zoom webinar thing about lighting for tonight and like many I tend to frequent only a small part of this forum, so in case some of you have missed it or forgotten, here is the thread -

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/interwebby-webinar-session-thingy.710396/#post-8698334

Phil V is helping out, and I think both deserve as big an audience as possible, and as many thanks as possible for giving their time and sharing their wisdom.
Mods, I don't imagine this is against any rules, apologies if it is out of order..

I will be looking in as I have downloaded Zoom and ready to go, might not talk but it will be good.

Agree, plus I got a studio backdrop and lighting kit off Amazon with some lights I already had.
I saw, and have to say that I really like your flower shot.
I expect I'll learn a lot tonight - Garry's old Lencarta videos were a huge help to me way back when I was better able to remember things I'd learnt !

I saw, and have to say that I really like your flower shot.
I expect I'll learn a lot tonight - Garry's old Lencarta videos were a huge help to me way back when I was better able to remember things I'd learnt !

I did a Lencarta workshop with Garry, I came away with some great images. My all time highest viewed on Flickr was one of them.... (but then again, there was some nudity involved, and Flickr is full of pervs...)

Still lusting after X100F and seems a good price at the moment,I haven't really been tracking new prices but in people's experience do you think prices will drop any lower than what they are now.
Thanks

So how does the X-H1 work 'IBIS' wise with both Fuji XF lenses, or say manual focus lenses by Samyang with no Image Stabilization etc..?

Does the built-in IBIS give around 2.5 stops of stabilization for any lens I wonder...?

mac

Last edited:
The color of the elements should change to normal in UV light

I've found it can depend on the lens, I've used a MF 100mm macro and the IBIS didn't seem to like it much, wasn't very effective, and I know that IBIS systems can work well with longer lenses as I used a couple vintage 200mm F4 lenses when I had the Panasonic G80 and IBIS worked very nicely. Now I'm using a Nikon 60mm macro and the IBIS is working really well with it. I'd have to test to see how many stops I feel I'm getting but I'd estimate 3-4 stops at least. If we go by the 2x recommended SS, then 1/120th for this lens without IBIS, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15 would be 3 stops? I can do 1/15th easily with this 60mm, probably even 1/5th with some patience

Last edited:
Still lusting after X100F and seems a good price at the moment,I haven't really been tracking new prices but in people's experience do you think prices will drop any lower than what they are now.
Thanks
Honestly if you can go for the V, the F is so soft at f2

I’ve got a 2 week old circa 500 shots one I might be moving on. Contemplating a classified ad.

Jeeze Pete, you shift some gear mate. Can`t you decide ;)

Last edited:
This thread really isn’t helping my sanity nor my bank balance. :)

I’m kinda becoming convinced that the XH1 is the answer to my problems. I think I really do need IBIS to get the best out of my 16-55. Was going to wait for price drops and deals on the XT4 but the XH1 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

What do people who have made the jump from an XT* to the XH1 think of the increase in body size? I’m keen to keep the weight of my kit down as much as is possible. Keep in mind I moved from a Nikon D750 and full frame lenses.

I’m kinda becoming convinced that the XH1 is the answer to my problems. I think I really do need IBIS to get the best out of my 16-55. Was going to wait for price drops and deals on the XT4 but the XH1 is a hell of a lot cheaper.

What do people who have made the jump from an XT* to the XH1 think of the increase in body size? I’m keen to keep the weight of my kit down as much as is possible. Keep in mind I moved from a Nikon D750 and full frame lenses.

Its heavier but when in the hand its not so noticeable as it balances better especially with bigger lens, so I'm not sure you'd notice it in use, but in your bag yes its slightly heavier, just take something out your bag that weighs 200g and equilibrium will be restored!

Haha that`s always the danger of places like this ;)
My thoughts are, yes it`s bigger and haevier, and built like a tank. But still nothing compared to my old D810 brick ;) The grip is great, and you almost feel like you don`t need a strap (if you`re just going in and out of camera bag. The balance is just nice. I got mine with the grip, and two batteries, from the Fuji refurb store (318 clicks on it) for a silly £699, and considering it was a 2k kit only a couple of years ago :eek: I mainly have primes, so the IBIS really helps. i leave mine set to always on (but can be set to only shooting). Although I had a hand grip on my T2, I`ve got used to the H1 really quickly. All the writing of super fast AF etc are for me not warrentied, as I don`t shoot moving subjects. It`s good enough for me. Also what was it like back in the day when everything must have been as slow as a snail on valium ;)
Also after the Nikon D750 debarcle, I`m super wary of getting anything that`s only just been released.

Last edited:
Jeeze Pete, you shift some gear mate. Can`t you decide ;)
I’m a good boy I had 3x XT-3’s from launch and only sold the last one a week ago.
I might keep the XH-1 and get an X100V or something else plus X100V

I’m a good boy I had 3x XT-3’s from launch and only sold the last one a week ago.
I might keep the XH-1 and get an X100V or something else plus X100V

And only one pair of hands ;)
So what else have you got your eye on?

Its heavier but when in the hand its not so noticeable as it balances better especially with bigger lens, so I'm not sure you'd notice it in use, but in your bag yes its slightly heavier, just take something out your bag that weighs 200g and equilibrium will be restored!
Haha that`s always the danger of places like this ;)
My thoughts are, yes it`s bigger and haevier, and built like a tank.But still nothing compared to my old D810 brick ;) The grip is great, and you almost feel like you don`t need a strap (if you`re just going in and out of camera bag. The balance is just nice. I got mine with the grip, and two batteries, from the Fuji refurb store (318 clicks on it) for a silly £699, and considering it was a 2k kit only a couple of years ago :eek: I mainly have primes, so the IBIS really helps. i leave mine set to always on (but can be set to only shooting). Although I had a hand grip on my T2, I`ve got used to the H1 really quickly. All the writing of super fast AF etc are for me not warrentied, as I don`t shoot moving subjects. It`s good enough for me. Also what was it like back in the day when everything must have been as slow as a snail on valium ;)
Also after the Nikon D750 debarcle, I`m super wary of getting anything that`s only just been released.

Cheers.

Balancing with the 16-55 is what is making me think of getting one. The lens, to me at least, feels front heavy on the XT2. It’s just occurred to me that I use a handgrip on my XT2 so the grip and size increase of the XH1 isn‘t an issue. The extra weight might be a sticking point but, on the other hand, it’s not that much heavier. (Does it seem like I’m talking myself into this? :p )

I‘ve pinged a trade in request for the XT2 over to WEX. I’d expect it’s worth peanuts but I’ll see what they come back with.

And only one pair of hands ;)
So what else have you got your eye on?
The X100V would be for personal / street use and back up for paid work.

Been eyeing up a Z, I discounted it at launch as the AF-C was poor (for the money), that’s been improved a lot with firmware. I’ve also researched the number of reported card failures as it has a single slot and it’s negligible. Still makes me a little nervous though.

Cheers.

Balancing with the 16-55 is what is making me think of getting one. The lens, to me at least, feels front heavy on the XT2. It’s just occurred to me that I use a handgrip on my XT2 so the grip and size increase of the XH1 isn‘t an issue. The extra weight might be a sticking point but, on the other hand, it’s not that much heavier. (Does it seem like I’m talking myself into this? :p )

I‘ve pinged a trade in request for the XT2 over to WEX. I’d expect it’s worth peanuts but I’ll see what they come back with.
I walked around on holiday for 2 weeks with an XH-1 + 16-55 on a wrist strap, wasn’t really an issue after getting used to it on the first day.

Currently have the X-T3 and an X-H1 and must admit that whilst it is bigger/heavier, the X-H1 is by far the nicest camera to hold and use twixt the two. It is lovely with the 50-140 and 100-400mm and the extra heft and grip makes it a much better balanced combination, for me at least.

You are right regarding the IBIS, it makes such a difference that I put the sale of my 90mm on permanent hold as it transformed that lens for me. Before I just couldn't get the sharpness I knew the lens was capable of.

I use Peak Design Slides on both bodies and even with the battery grip fitted to either body, I really do not notice any difference.

I honestly believe that the X-H1 is the finest FujiFilm body I have ever owned and will skip the X-T4 as it ticks all the boxes for me.

When I bought my X-H1 and put my 16-55 f2.8 on it I posted on here that I thought it was a marrige made in heaven. My reasons were that the heavier weight of the X-H1 made for a much better balanced combination and the IBIS stabilised the 16-55. I also found the same advantage with my 56 f1.2 and 90 f2.

My advice would be to handle the X-H1, its body shape is much more DSLR like and I can understand why those who prefer the X-T line do not like the X-H1, but for someone like me who's favourite camera of the last 20 years was the Nikon D700, I used it from 2008 to 2015, the feel of the X-H1 in my hands is almost exactly the same.

There are two other things about the X-H1 which are seldom mentioned, but which makes it different and to me superior, to the X-T line, are that the shutter release is very gentle, so it is possible to press it very softly and the sound of the shutter is that of a piece of precision engineering.

Last edited:
W
There are two other things about the X-H1 which are seldom mentioned, but which makes it different and to me superior, to the X-T line, are that the shutter release is very gentle, so it is possible to press it very softly and the sound of the shutter is that of a piece of precision engineering.

One minor thing is the top plate display. I didn't care much about it. Now I find if I'm in a hurry then I grab the X-H1 first because I can see immediately what the battery level is and the card slots are occupied without having to switch it on.

Back