The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

After being laid up for 2 weeks recovering from surgery, I finally got out into the front garden today. We have some beautiful oriental poppies and the first one bloomed yesterday. These only last a couple of days, a couple of hours if the winds really strong! And there was a fair bit of wind today.

X-T5 & 50-140. f4.5, ISO 400, 1/550 sec.

Oriental Poppy by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I received the call to say mines landed as well.

When I put the deposit down I was stuck debating whether I should get it or a Zf with the 40mm. After weeks if internal decision doubting I forgot about it until today. Now the doubt is back with a vengeance! I already have an A7Riv so could someone please tell me that the x100vi is the right decision and actually adds something to my gear rather than just another large(ish) camera?!?

When I put the deposit down I was stuck debating whether I should get it or a Zf with the 40mm. After weeks if internal decision doubting I forgot about it until today. Now the doubt is back with a vengeance! I already have an A7Riv so could someone please tell me that the x100vi is the right decision and actually adds something to my gear rather than just another large(ish) camera?!?

I thought the whole point of the X100 series is that they are NOT large!!

Perhaps mine won't be too long now then! :confused:

I thought the whole point of the X100 series is that they are NOT large!!
Exactly! I wanted something I could take with me everywhere and my mind ran away with any logic. X100 = retro = Zf = not what I was looking for. It’s awful inside my head!

Exactly! I wanted something I could take with me everywhere and my mind ran away with any logic. X100 = retro = Zf = not what I was looking for. It’s awful inside my head!

Personally I wouldn't go for two ILC systems, you'll end up duplicating lenes, etc

Which leaves fixed lens choices, and the 3 forum favourites are the X100 series, Ricoh GR series and Leica Q series. Which gives 3 choices, if you live without a viewfinder and want best pocketability then its the Ricoh, if you don't mind size/weight and want teh best Image IQ , it teh Leica, for everything else its the X100 series.

The ZF is a fine camera, but its surprising large (even with little lenses on it) and although it has retro stamped all over it, given that you have a Sony A7Riv already, personally I would go for the Fuji X100vi, if its not for you in teh next few months you are likely to get your money back selling it on, so you don't really have anything to lose :)

Personally I wouldn't go for two ILC systems, you'll end up duplicating lenes, etc

Which leaves fixed lens choices, and the 3 forum favourites are the X100 series, Ricoh GR series and Leica Q series. Which gives 3 choices, if you live without a viewfinder and want best pocketability then its the Ricoh, if you don't mind size/weight and want teh best Image IQ , it teh Leica, for everything else its the X100 series.

The ZF is a fine camera, but its surprising large (even with little lenses on it) and although it has retro stamped all over it, given that you have a Sony A7Riv already, personally I would go for the Fuji X100vi, if its not for you in teh next few months you are likely to get your money back selling it on, so you don't really have anything to lose :)
You're absolutely correct on all fronts. :)

X100 all day long.

As @Mr Perceptive said, you don't really want to go down route of having 2 general camera systems - unless it's something pretty specific like M4/3 and a long zoom for birding etc

I have an A7Riii, A7, 35GM, 24GM, FE85, T70-180mm ...... I love using the X100f and it is tiny in comparison..... Lately, I've shot more with it than the Sony gear. I did look at X100v/vi prices and think about an X-Pro at one point, but glad I decided on the X100f. Just pick it up and go, no decisions to make :)

Having put 40k or so clicks on my T3 and 18k on my T5 since April 23, the "plasticy made in China" thing really isn't something I've ever really noticed or worried about. I don't baby my cameras so they get a bit bashed up over time and the T5 doesn't appear to have fared any worse than the T3.
In fact, the T3 did need a new mainboard (under warrenty) due to battery drain, I've had nothing so far that would prompt me to send the T5 back (jinxed it now haven't I...)

T5 is obviously a league ahead of the T3 with respect to the Eye A/F and the increase in battery life is well worth it.

Out of interest, how do you find the EVF?

I've found that no matter what I try with settings for EVF brightness, colour, white balance etc, the EVF on my X100VI simply doesn't match what I see on the LCD. I can make it match in specific lighting conditions, but as soon as the light changes they're different again. As such, I don't trust it at all. The XT3 on the other hand, is a perfect match between the LCD and EVF in all but the most taxing of conditions (direct sun on LCD etc).

I've found that no matter what I try with settings for EVF brightness, colour, white balance etc, the EVF on my X100VI simply doesn't match what I see on the LCD. I can make it match in specific lighting conditions, but as soon as the light changes they're different again. As such, I don't trust it at all. The XT3 on the other hand, is a perfect match between the LCD and EVF in all but the most taxing of conditions (direct sun on LCD etc).

First thing i noticed when I initially got the X100f was the EVF looking very..... Off and weird.

It’s back! Now in a case!

s1JwSfA.jpeg

To be honest I've never even considered or paid attention to any difference. I would look at the histogram rather than try to judge exposure from the viewfinder too much, I'm shooting raw, so as long as it's in the ballpark I'm not worried.
Also, for a lot of my shooting I have the exposure preview off so that I can actually see what I'm shooting, with the flash exposing the subject either partially or fully.

It’s back! Now in a case!

s1JwSfA.jpeg
Very nice. Is that the Fuji case a weather kit? The kit seems to be sold out everywhere and I’m. It sure if the aftermarket ones meant for the V work on the 6 as well. I seem to remember reading something about the thread being a different length and it fouling the lens when it focussed.

Very nice. Is that the Fuji case a weather kit? The kit seems to be sold out everywhere and I’m. It sure if the aftermarket ones meant for the V work on the 6 as well. I seem to remember reading something about the thread being a different length and it fouling the lens when it focussed.

Yeah, it’s the Fuji weather sealing kit, I got it with the camera so half price. The case (smallrig) just fit with it on but no room for the pinch clip on lens cover. I guess the case is the lens cover.

Nice.

Did you establish whether it was cracked due to heavy handling or just decided to crack by itself?

Am checking my OVF glass every time I get it out and put it away now :rolleyes:

Never had the issue on any of the Vs, Fs, T or originals I had.

No idea, since I didn’t see it happen and I don’t remember ever hitting it.

I took the original to Japan too and that survived too.

Anyhow, now I put the case on the camera, which arrived like 2 days after I send the camera away for repair....I can finally give some proper thoughts on it.

The case comes in 2 sections. The base and grip and the "flap cover".

The base is attached with a thumb screw at the bottom with the battery door accessible. There is a a leather flap with magnet that holds an extra door in place to protect everything at the bottom away from the elements. There is a magnet on the base + 2 pieces of velcro at the bottom to attach to the flap when seated.

The back side of the flap where it makes contact with the rear LCD has a cushion, you can see in the side profile how thick it is. , There is also a cushion pad on the left front side that makes contact with the front of the camera.

On the front flap there is a magnet which when closed, snap shut to the base part holding it all in place. I think the magnet is across the bottom of the front flap to the front of the base unit. With the weather sealing kit and filter the whole thing fits snug. I would say JUST fits.

I have also put the thumb grip on the back and that also fits with it attached. The stitching is excellent and I would say for the money, the quality is fantastic.

The material is nice, can't tell if it's real or fake leather, I think it is real. It certain feels nicer than those cheap fake leather wallet. The entire thing with the camera feels very solid when closed, like a gold brick in a way.

p.s. I wished it came in black but at the time of purchase, it only came in brown. For like £40 or something that I paid, I think it's excellent, even if it's for the bottom half of the case. I paid like £100 for a Gariz case for the Sony body, and this feels similar quality.

nHO8XkG.jpg

OZ7yCPW.jpg

TtZasfZ.jpg

rA3yziK.jpg

Vw6hunC.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s the Fuji weather sealing kit, I got it with the camera so half price. The case (smallrig) just fit with it on but no room for the pinch clip on lens cover. I guess the case is the lens cover.
I'm confused. The weather sealing kit is just the lens cover? All I can see is the leather case!

Sexiest pictures of a camera I've ever seen. Have you considered doing product shots? ;)

I'm confused. The weather sealing kit is just the lens cover? All I can see is the leather case!

Sexiest pictures of a camera I've ever seen. Have you considered doing product shots? ;)

There is a UV filter on the camera, that is the weather sealing kit. It adds like a cm to the front of the camera. I was concerned it wouldn't fit with it attached.

I'm looking to ditch the TTartisan 27mm and move to the Fuji one, for two reasons:
- Performance wide open is crap
- The Fuji one is much smaller

However, sometimes I feel like 27mm isn't wide enough. Putting the size aside....should I consider the 23mm F2? Anyone have both for comparison?

Isn’t the Fuji 27mm much slower to focus than the TT ? I’ve thought about doing the same thing a few times and agree that there’s loads of vignetting on the TTA at f2.8

Isn’t the Fuji 27mm much slower to focus than the TT ? I’ve thought about doing the same thing a few times and agree that there’s loads of vignetting on the TTA at f2.8
Depends what you read. I've heard they're both pretty slow and noisy so from an AF point of view you're not losing out; but I haven't read anywhere that the Fuji is worse in anyway than the TTA

I'm looking to ditch the TTartisan 27mm and move to the Fuji one, for two reasons:
- Performance wide open is crap
- The Fuji one is much smaller

However, sometimes I feel like 27mm isn't wide enough. Putting the size aside....should I consider the 23mm F2? Anyone have both for comparison?
I have mentioned before, I was in Oxford city centre a month or two ago and the 27 was not quite wide enough for me there. I will probably get the 18/2 this summer to complement the 27

I have a Fuji 18mm f2 that sits almost permanently on my XE3, works a treat.

However the AF is not quite so if you're going to do video it is something bear in mind.

I can't speak for the TT, but while the autofocus on the Fuji 27mm is a bit noisy I always found it snappy and accurate.

I've said a few times on here how much I like the TTA 27mm, but I do wish it vignetted a little less. I've also found that it's not quite wide enough on occasion, so I picked up a Viltrox 23mm F/1.4 on eBay a while ago - that is going to get a lot more use than the TTA I think. I'm going to hold onto it for now because I do like how small it is, but between the Viltrox and my 16-80 I don't think for me it's worth spending the money on the Fuji 27.

I can't speak for the TT, but while the autofocus on the Fuji 27mm is a bit noisy I always found it snappy and accurate.

I had not really noticed the noise until you mentioned it, just tried it against my 16-80 & 50-230 and yes they are both silent and the 27 is noticeably noisier.

But not quite as bad as I heard last night. I had forgotten how loud a DSLR shutter is in a quiet room.
I was at an awards night at my sons uni and the uni photographer was on hand to capture the event.

About 6 shots fired off at every presentation in a quiet auditorium was very noticable

I've said a few times on here how much I like the TTA 27mm, but I do wish it vignetted a little less. I've also found that it's not quite wide enough on occasion, so I picked up a Viltrox 23mm F/1.4 on eBay a while ago - that is going to get a lot more use than the TTA I think. I'm going to hold onto it for now because I do like how small it is, but between the Viltrox and my 16-80 I don't think for me it's worth spending the money on the Fuji 27.
That looks like a big lens for a prime. Fuji's 23mm f2 looks tiny by comparison. I am definitely willing to sacrifice one stop for a more convenient size!

I had not really noticed the noise until you mentioned it,
While it's definitely there, I never found it a problem. I guess for video it could be an issue but for my purposes it never got in the way. It's definitely not on the scale of your average DSLR shutter! :D

That looks like a big lens for a prime. Fuji's 23mm f2 looks tiny by comparison. I am definitely willing to sacrifice one stop for a more convenient size!
It's smaller than the Viltrox 13mm, probably about the same size as the Fuji 35mm F/1.4 I reckon... really light, too.

EDIT: just got them out to check. It's the same diameter as the 35mm, but about 2cm longer. And slightly heavier. Clearly I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about! :D

Last edited:
I collected my X100IV this afternoon. The chap at the store asked if I wanted the weather resistant kit with it for half price and I said yes out of shock as I thought they were out of stock everywhere as well. To my amazement, when I got home and fitted the kit I found the lens cap no longer fits. How they can sell something with an RRP of £100 with such a poor design absolutely amazes me. I'm half tempted to try to return it as not fit for purpose.

I collected my X100IV this afternoon. The chap at the store asked if I wanted the weather resistant kit with it for half price and I said yes out of shock as I thought they were out of stock everywhere as well. To my amazement, when I got home and fitted the kit I found the lens cap no longer fits. How they can sell something with an RRP of £100 with such a poor design absolutely amazes me. I'm half tempted to try to return it as not fit for purpose.

Ah yes…you will need is a regular plastic pinch 49mm lens cap.

Back