The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I keep looking at the 23mm and 35mm primes and then just as I'm about to pull the trigger I stop myself and realise that the 18-55 is a brilliant lens, perfectly sharp, more versatile and less to carry around (which was the point of me switching to Fuji in the first place!
Likewise. I now have the 10-24mm to carry about instead as I was determined not to (totally) duplicate focal lengths. Oh well.

I keep looking at the 23mm and 35mm primes and then just as I'm about to pull the trigger I stop myself and realise that the 18-55 is a brilliant lens, perfectly sharp, more versatile and less to carry around (which was the point of me switching to Fuji in the first place!
I know what you mean, but I've bought a 27mm so i can fit it in my jacket then possible the samyang 12mm then i'm done.

Wish I had your willpower! But there's something special about using a prime on the Fujis. It just feels so "right".

^^^ Yeah, I haven't had that pleasure (yet) - looking through my LR catalogue I've used the 18mm and 23mm focal lengths the most, followed by 35mm, so a 10-24 and 35mm prime might make sense as a set up going forward. I might have to rent/borrow a 23 or 35 for a few days and head out to shoot my architecture stuff and see how it feels.

I know what you mean, but I've bought a 27mm so i can fit it in my jacket then possible the samyang 12mm then i'm done.
I don't use the 12mm as much as I thought I would, but when I do, I've been pleased with it. If I had less light pollution around Oxford, I'd be using it for astro....

I too bought an 18-55 to go with my XT-10 and am mightily impressed with both.
Initially the body was to pair with a 23mm for group portraits at street events.
But in the past I have found (using D750 and 35mm) that I need F4 or 5.6 to get all their eyes sharp.
So the 18-55 @ 3.2 (max aperture at 23mm) should suffice. OIS as well.
If the 23mm f2 goes on offer (probably next year?) I might be tempted as it will a pocketable outfit.

Yeah the 23 F2 isn't what I would call pocketable, maybe if you have a very big coat :D The 27mm is your best option for that, followed by the 18 F2 - but that one gets bad to so-so reviews at best.

Could you do a direct comparison of between the 27m and 18-55 [at 27mm-ish] and same aperture [whatever the widest you can get on the 18-55, even F4] maybe? I would be real interested in that. Just a random scene, garden or whatever. I 'like' the 27, but keep feeling I'd like something a little more flexible too. I have the 55-200 and the OIS on that is insanely good.

Last edited:
Yeah the 23 F2 isn't what I would call pocketable, maybe if you have a very big coat :D The 27mm is your best option for that, followed by the 18 F2 - but that one gets bad to so-so reviews at best.

The XF18 is much maligned IMHO - it is quite a good lens but maybe not as sharp at the edges as some other Fuji lenses - but it is relatively cheap and compact.

The 18m is not actually that cheap, it's more expensive than the 35 F2 and the 27m 2.8. It's almost as dear as the 23mm F2. New at least, it drops significantly used. But the fact I see a lot of them going used tells me users didn't get on well with it.

From what I have read, it is Fuji's weakest lens, but that may well be because the rest are so strong. I have seen a few positive reviews also. It's maybe a marmite lens? You either love or hate it

The 18m is not actually that cheap, it's more expensive than the 35 F2 and the 27m 2.8. It's almost as dear as the 23mm F2. New at least, it drops significantly used. But the fact I see a lot of them going used tells me users didn't get on well with it.

From what I have read, it is Fuji's weakest lens, but that may well be because the rest are so strong. I have seen a few positive reviews also. It's maybe a marmite lens? You either love or hate it
Focus is good, easiest than the 56mm.

The 27 is even neater. of course it doesn't give near as much of a wide angle, but I tend to not shoot wide very much either way. Like I said, I've seen a few good reviews on the 18 too. And I am mostly a prime lens user, always preferred them. I sold the Nikon 24-70 2.8 to buy the Sigma 35 1.4 when it came out for example. And that lens was on my D800 most of the time, only ever changed for very specific circumstances, like macro or wildlife. The 27 should be pleasing me more, I can't quite nail why I'm a little hesitant on it. If it was faster maybe, and had better DOF handling.

Could you do a direct comparison of between the 27m and 18-55 [at 27mm-ish] and same aperture [whatever the widest you can get on the 18-55, even F4] maybe? I would be real interested in that. Just a random scene, garden or whatever. I 'like' the 27, but keep feeling I'd like something a little more flexible too. I have the 55-200 and the OIS on that is insanely good.
Yeah will do once the 27 arrives.

Last edited:
But the fact I see a lot of them going used tells me users didn't get on well with it.

I would say the fact that the 18-55 is so good, and you get 2.8 at 18mm, is the biggest reason that lens doesn't do so well

The 18-55 (or 135) are what kill the prime - they're both as sharp (in the real world) as the prime and plenty fast enough. Lots of them (the prime) got bundled as kit lenses with the X-Pro1 and shifted on when owners went for the zoom as being more versatile.

The reason why there are a lot if them around was that I has been used as a free lens by Fuji both in promoting the X-E1 and X-Pro1, ie buy X-E1 with XF35 and get XF18mm free.

Also when the X-Pro1 got sold off very cheaply it was as a twin lens kit with the 18mm and 27mm. Many people bought these packages just for the camera then sold off the lenses to sweeten the deal even more.Going price secondhand was between a 100-150 quid for either lens, I bought them both, my daughter has the 18mm and the 27mm is basically a substitute lens cap on an emergency back up X-E1.

Last edited:
18mm isn't that wide though, focuses nice and quick.
Do you have the 27? I'm lost if you do or not by that

Who me? yeah I have the 27. I'm just finding it hard to 'love'. like yes, love - not exactly.

I didn't know the 18 was a kit bundler in the past, that explains all the used ones out there alright

Thanks for taking the time to comment Stephen, and when I looked behind me, all I saw was more rain. :)

At the moment Julian Savea is one of the weaker players in the All blacks squad, doesn't make him a bad player ! It's all relative, I love my 18mm, a very under rated little lens.

At the moment Julian Savea is one of the weaker players in the All blacks squad, doesn't make him a bad player ! It's all relative, I love my 18mm, a very under rated little lens.

Good for you if you love it. It's still not worth the money to me personally. If I don't get the 18-55 anytime in the near future I may pick up a used 18m for the right price. Since you mention it, Ireland beat the All blacks recently :p

Back