The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Nice picture you've taken there with the naff 18/2 ;)
Thanks, one of my fav for the day, was awful in colour, sky is blown more than mandingo

Why sell up?
not sure im feeling the love i wanted

The Rookies effect [emoji57]
LOL im not going Sony

I'm guessing he's fallen in love with Dan's SL ;)
It was a camera of sheer beauty but unless you all take mortgages with me this month i dont think thats quite going to happen

not sure im feeling the love i wanted
That's a shame, hope you don't lose too much if you do sell up. Do you think you'll go back to Nikon or just have a break?

It was a camera of sheer beauty but unless you all take mortgages with me this month i dont think thats quite going to happen
I've only seen it through a glass cabinet but even then it looked extremely well made. Not what I'd call pretty though ;)

That's a shame, hope you don't lose too much if you do sell up. Do you think you'll go back to Nikon or just have a break?

Doubt i'll loose anything on it to be honest, i got a fairly good deal and its in my hand. Im sure someone will either want it or not.

I've only seen it through a glass cabinet but even then it looked extremely well made. Not what I'd call pretty though ;)
Nicer in the hand dude, and its actually very understated, but 10k on a camera and lens gets me divorced twice in one go.....

they are RAW files processed! aint no handling of s*** there!
Lol, so you don't think that different manufacturers produce different colours and tones then?

Lol, so you don't think that different manufacturers produce different colours and tones then?
without getting involved in the whole massive debate on how good colour is on what camera to another in RAW. Yes the files contain colours, from the sensor and from what the optics seen. I assume some will have different adobe profiles and some will be TIFF native and others jpg.
Besides all that i believe now personal belief here that the key things that we need to remember when taking photos is light and dark. As long as its not blown out you can get some good results.

Well chaps I know many of you will think I’m mad and crazy, but the X-T2 wasn’t for me after all, and has been returned for a full credit. I had a good play around with it over the weekend, but was mindful to only take 2 or 3 shots in case I needed to return it.

Why you may ask. Well for a number of reasons, some of which I’m sure a percentage here will agree with and some a lot of you won’t, but hey it’s my money and my decision so there.:D:D

I was comparing the X-T2 to my Micro Four thirds Olympus EM1 and Panasonic GX8, as well as my DX Nikon D500. From an image quality point of view, yes, the Fuji produced some nice images, but (for me at least), not any better than my D500 (all the way from Low to High ISO), and not much better than my M4/3 system up to about ISO 800 (ish). Yes the Fuji colours are very nice, but with a profile I have in Lightroom, I can get really nice colours out of all of my cameras.

Size wise, I was expecting the D500 with 16-80 lens to dwarf the XT-2 and 18-55, and whilst the Fuji set up is smaller and lighter, it’s not by as much as I thought, and the OMD system (with and without grip) and the Panasonic were just even smaller and lighter.

Another contributing factor was lenses. Whilst the 18-55 is a very high quality lens and certainly doesn’t deserve the moniker – “kit lens”, the problem for me (and again this is only me), is that on both the Nikon and M4/3 my “standard” zoom lenses start at 24mm effective, rather than the 28mm of the Fuji, and I’ve checked a lot of my holiday images and a lot of them are at 24mm, which would mean me carrying a second lens (the 10-24 for instance or a prime) and changing lenses. Battery life also appeared shocking. I know Li-on batteries get better with a few charges, but after taking 2 or 3 images, and around 30 minutes total of messing around with settings etc and “playing” with the camera, the battery level dropped from 100% down to 23% very quickly. And I though the Olympus OMD batteryl life was poor.

Whilst the X-T2 is very nicely built and has an excellent EVF, some of its quirks I found irritating, mainly because I’ve come from 30 odd years of Nikon DSLR’s, and 4 years of Mirrorless Olympus cameras. Things like not being able to change the aperture with the command dial I missed. Yes I know purists will say it should be on the lens and that many Fuji lenses don’t have an aperture ring, but the 18-55 did, and I just found it unnatural changing aperture. I also have my Nikon and Olympus’s cameras set up to change EV compensation with the Sub command dial, whereas on the Fuji, setting the EV compensation dial to “C”, only allows EV changes when the front command dial is pushed in. These are all minor but are the difference between a camera you want to use and a camera you leave at home and pick up another instead.

Other things included the rudimentary level gauge (no pitch and yaw), and when Auto ISO was set, in the viewfinder you don’t see what ISO the camera is selecting, just “for instance” AUTO ISO 3200. The only way I could see to view what ISO was being used was to review the image afterwards (unless I’m missing something) ? There were a number of other handling and interface quirks which I just didn’t get on with, but maybe I'm just too old or used to other systems to adapt :p

Like I say as a photographic tool it’s a great camera with excellent image quality, and if I didn’t have any other systems, I might have persevered to see if I could live with its quirks, but as I already had the other two systems (which the Fuji was going to replace one of them), I just prefer the user experience of the other two systems, I just didn’t gel with the Fuji at all, it left me cold and it didn’t make me pick it up and love it.

I know I’ll probably be flamed for stating the above, but not every camera system is right for every person (otherwise we’d all by shooting exactly the same hardware), and for me the Fuji was close, but no cigar. I’ll continue with the M4/3 and Nikon for the time being. At least it’s an itch I had to scratch and I’ve done that.

I know I'm in a minority of one...............I'll get my coat and won't slam the door when I leave.

Last edited:
Other things included the rudimentary level gauge (no pitch and yaw), and when Auto ISO was set, in the viewfinder you don’t see what ISO the camera is selecting, just “for instance” AUTO ISO 3200. The only way I could see to view what ISO was being used was to review the image afterwards (unless I’m missing something) ? There were a number of other handling and interface quirks which I just didn’t get on with, but maybe I'm just too old or used to other systems to adapt :p.

its at the bottom of the screen in EVF and view finder its as plain as day, dont get me wrong its different to use than others but how did you miss ISO!

I know I’ll probably be flamed for stating the above, but not every camera system is right for every person (otherwise we’d all by shooting exactly the same hardware), and for me the Fuji was close, but no cigar. I’ll continue with the M4/3 and Nikon for the time being. At least it’s an itch I had to scratch and I’ve done that.

was mindful to only take 2 or 3 shots in case I needed to return it.

No flaming from me but it does sound like you had half made your mind up before trying it.

it's your right and your money to decide what you do and don't want. But realise that the Fuji is different and takes more than a couple of shots to get used to it.

Last edited:
For those that are interested in files and what other cameras can do here is a side by side of the SL and the Fuji. Fuji is at f1.2 ISO 200 56mm 1.2 the SL is at f4 and 400 ISO 90-280mm.
Now @dancook took the SL and edited it at my house in about 20 seconds! The link will show 1:1 for the pixel peepers.

Fuji vs Leica by Neil Hinder, on Flickr

For those that are interested in files and what other cameras can do here is a side by side of the SL and the Fuji. Fuji is at f1.2 ISO 200 56mm 1.2 the SL is at f4 and 400 ISO 90-280mm.
Now @dancook took the SL and edited it at my house in about 20 seconds! The link will show 1:1 for the pixel peepers.

Yep there's a reason that Leica glass costs so much, there's very little to match it. Of course, it's also made better by the fact that Dan's exposed the shot correctly :whistle::sneaky:

No doubt the leica will still be better, but would be interesting to see the fuji set to f4 and the same exposure...

Personal preference i feel Dans is a little under. But the clarity is superb. She has got a bright white hat on.

Sorry Jimmyjamjojo didnt think of doing it like that, was just to show the difference in the lenses there wasnt meant to be a comparison with F stops. Next time i meet up with him i'll be sure to test a similar shot.
My whole aim was to shoot wide open and see how good the 56mm lens is. Plus i did the building as well using the app that was fun

its at the bottom of the screen in EVF and view finder its as plain as day, dont get me wrong its different to use than others but how did you miss ISO!
He's partially right - in auto iso modes it shows the maximum iso of the mode chosen until you do a half press, then it tells you the iso chosen for those metering conditions. I do agree that it can be annoying - "quirk" is definitely the right word to use for this behaviour (i.e. it's genuinely not wrong, but it's also not particularly helpful)

@Sootchucker - you don't need to slam the door. As you said, it's different choices and priorities for different people and if you look back to the earlier part of the thread you'll see that the longer-term Fuji users are pretty easy going about people's choice of camera. Largely because we know they'll always come back. Eventually ;)

Personal preference i feel Dans is a little under. But the clarity is superb. She has got a bright white hat on.

Sorry Jimmyjamjojo didnt think of doing it like that, was just to show the difference in the lenses there wasnt meant to be a comparison with F stops. Next time i meet up with him i'll be sure to test a similar shot.
My whole aim was to shoot wide open and see how good the 56mm lens is. Plus i did the building as well using the app that was fun
I was only pulling your leg. I'd probably have mine somewhere between the two. I do think if you dropped the exposure on yours it would boost the perceived clarity and contrast though, although it won't compete with the Leica. The detail of the jacket and hat are incredible, and the hunter logo on the wellies. I know Dan's shot is a touch closer but don't think that's making much difference. But you have to appreciate that the Leica is 6x the price ;)

Well chaps I know many of you will think I’m mad and crazy, but the X-T2 wasn’t for me after all, and has been returned for a full credit. I had a good play around with it over the weekend, but was mindful to only take 2 or 3 shots in case I needed to return it.

Why you may ask. Well for a number of reasons, some of which I’m sure a percentage here will agree with and some a lot of you won’t, but hey it’s my money and my decision so there.:D:D

I was comparing the X-T2 to my Micro Four thirds Olympus EM1 and Panasonic GX8, as well as my DX Nikon D500. From an image quality point of view, yes, the Fuji produced some nice images, but (for me at least), not any better than my D500 (all the way from Low to High ISO), and not much better than my M4/3 system up to about ISO 800 (ish). Yes the Fuji colours are very nice, but with a profile I have in Lightroom, I can get really nice colours out of all of my cameras.

Size wise, I was expecting the D500 with 16-80 lens to dwarf the XT-2 and 18-55, and whilst the Fuji set up is smaller and lighter, it’s not by as much as I thought, and the OMD system (with and without grip) and the Panasonic were just even smaller and lighter.

Another contributing factor was lenses. Whilst the 18-55 is a very high quality lens and certainly doesn’t deserve the moniker – “kit lens”, the problem for me (and again this is only me), is that on both the Nikon and M4/3 my “standard” zoom lenses start at 24mm effective, rather than the 28mm of the Fuji, and I’ve checked a lot of my holiday images and a lot of them are at 24mm, which would mean me carrying a second lens (the 10-24 for instance or a prime) and changing lenses. Battery life also appeared shocking. I know Li-on batteries get better with a few charges, but after taking 2 or 3 images, and around 30 minutes total of messing around with settings etc and “playing” with the camera, the battery level dropped from 100% down to 23% very quickly. And I though the Olympus OMD batteryl life was poor.

Whilst the X-T2 is very nicely built and has an excellent EVF, some of its quirks I found irritating, mainly because I’ve come from 30 odd years of Nikon DSLR’s, and 4 years of Mirrorless Olympus cameras. Things like not being able to change the aperture with the command dial I missed. Yes I know purists will say it should be on the lens and that many Fuji lenses don’t have an aperture ring, but the 18-55 did, and I just found it unnatural changing aperture. I also have my Nikon and Olympus’s cameras set up to change EV compensation with the Sub command dial, whereas on the Fuji, setting the EV compensation dial to “C”, only allows EV changes when the front command dial is pushed in. These are all minor but are the difference between a camera you want to use and a camera you leave at home and pick up another instead.

Other things included the rudimentary level gauge (no pitch and yaw), and when Auto ISO was set, in the viewfinder you don’t see what ISO the camera is selecting, just “for instance” AUTO ISO 3200. The only way I could see to view what ISO was being used was to review the image afterwards (unless I’m missing something) ? There were a number of other handling and interface quirks which I just didn’t get on with, but maybe I'm just too old or used to other systems to adapt :p

Like I say as a photographic tool it’s a great camera with excellent image quality, and if I didn’t have any other systems, I might have persevered to see if I could live with its quirks, but as I already had the other two systems (which the Fuji was going to replace one of them), I just prefer the user experience of the other two systems, I just didn’t gel with the Fuji at all, it left me cold and it didn’t make me pick it up and love it.

I know I'm in a minority of one...............I'll get my coat and won't slam the door when I leave.
Sounds to me more familiarity than anything, and that's something you don't get used to with a quick trial. That being said if you're not happy with it then you have to do what's right for you.

With regards to the ISO displaying you have to half press the shutter as mentioned above. I find it irritating/odd, but you get used to it. I wish it would constantly show the ISO at that moment though. Another 'quirk' that irritates me is that the histogram disappears when you half press the shutter, no good if you focus/recompose and want to check the exposure :rolleyes:

Sounds to me more familiarity than anything, and that's something you don't get used to with a quick trial. That being said if you're not happy with it then you have to do what's right for you.

With regards to the ISO displaying you have to half press the shutter as mentioned above. I find it irritating/odd, but you get used to it. I wish it would constantly show the ISO at that moment though. Another 'quirk' that irritates me is that the histogram disappears when you half press the shutter, no good if you focus/recompose and want to check the exposure :rolleyes:
It does constantly show it, shoot in manual you lazy sod!

Auto-responder, "Neil doesnt agree with your comment"
It's called using the tools that are available to you to make life easier ;) :p

Joking aside, it doesn't matter if you choose to use full manual, manual with auto ISO, aperture priority etc, as long as you understand the behaviour of the camera you will get the results you want/expect.

(I've taken it as a given you understand exposure prior to this ;))

It's called using the tools that are available to you to make life easier ;) [emoji14]

Joking aside, it doesn't matter if you choose to use full manual, manual with auto ISO, aperture priority etc, as long as you understand the behaviour of the camera you will get the results you want/expect.

(I've taken it as a given you understand exposure prior to this ;))
Did you see what my reply was. Merely showing you that it demon started the ojtbin the laziest of fashion.

Now a true tog always shoots manual ;)
Hahahaahahah

I feel I'm fully aware of exposure and the beautiful triangle doesn't mean I don't like to have a play with it. I'm not keen on letting g the Fuji select the iso it's bloody hit and miss.

Did you see what my reply was. Merely showing you that it demon started the ojtbin the laziest of fashion.

Now a true tog always shoots manual ;)
Hahahaahahah

I feel I'm fully aware of exposure and the beautiful triangle doesn't mean I don't like to have a play with it. I'm not keen on letting g the Fuji select the iso it's bloody hit and miss.
I'm not sure what language that is :LOL:

Sorry, my comment was a broad one and not directed at you, I wasn't questioning whether you knew the exposure triangle lol. I don't find Fuji's auto exposure settings and more or less hit and miss than the D750 tbh, I find both very good. Of course, you have to make sure you're using the right metering mode in the first place ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what language that is [emoji38]

Sorry, my comment was a broad one and not directed at you, I wasn't questioning whether you knew the exposure triangle lol. I don't find Fuji's auto exposure settings and more or less hit and miss than the D750 tbh, I find both very good. Of course, you have to make sure you're using the right metering mode in the first place ;)
I think I changed the meeting mode once, was in 99 I have think.
I was shooting someone in a window

There's photographers out there shooting with bridge cameras who are probably a lot happier than guys shooting with £10K worth of gear. End of the day, just find what 'clicks' with you personally, and run with it.

My Helios 44-2 arrived today, of course I only get to play with it when it's getting dark out so won't be shooting anything wonderful with it just yet. It looks a bit funky with the adapter on cam, but I like it. Should have some fun with this.

UsHLiWx.jpg

Back