The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you support fabs? QPR?

I think we (City) played rather poorly tonight. We struggled on that pitch. The ball in the first half looked extra bouncy and out of control. Passes were met with open air, or QPR players, we *really* struggled to get up the line past their midfield, and when we did get near the box, the magic that we've been displaying just wasn't happening.

I'm certainly pleased with the win, of course (and annoyed that they got their 2nd equaliser despite being clearly offside).
However, I think tonight's been a bit of an eye opener in City's rather good run lately. I think even though we've been having a great run this game has rattled us a bit.

I expected us to do much better than we did tonight, however, with QPR's good tactics of a strong midfield, coupled with a touchline right next to the fans :LOL: .... we didn't do as well as I'd hoped.

Still, 3 points is 3 points.

Yep, QPR.

Difficult for a goal to be offside when there's a defender on the line though. ;)

I'll have to watch it on MOTD, wife said it was offline and all the city players were going nuts.....but once the decision's given, it's too late.

I'll have to watch it on MOTD, wife said it was offline and all the city players were going nuts.....but once the decision's given, it's too late.

I'll have to watch it again tonight but even the commentators acknowledged that a city defender had actually strayed back to behind HH. IIRC, he was to the top of the screen and not involved in the play.

Just back from the match, and what a match. :clap:

In many ways we played much better than when we beat Chelsea, and I thought we deserved a draw - which says a lot considering I was expecting a potential disaster.

Our loose 4-4-2 really worked today, ultimately City had more in the finishing department but we certainly gave as good as we got. We have that spirit back and players like Mackie just drive the team on. Faurlin was great once again in the middle. Thought City looked quite exposed at the back, especially aerially. As an aside that Yaya Toure is not small!

I heard the announcer reading out the ManCity team, thought bloody hell, then realised that was the subs bench. :eek:

Our stadium may be small, but I doubt there are many grounds in the Premier League with a better atmosphere.

Our stadium may be small, but I doubt there are many grounds in the Premier League with a better atmosphere.

As a noob to football (only started following it end of last season), I've never seen a Stadium like that.....with the touchline so close to the fans. I bet it presents some difficulties to the players too, that feeling of being compunded in a bit more.

Some good games this weekend, the Barcodes are flying but some tough games ahead, newbies Norwich and Swansea played well, we are at walking pace or slower ( poor in other words)
Plus good games tonight?

Swansea are a decent side although I agree you should be beating them at home. I guess if Andy Caroll had hit the net instead of the bar early on it could have been very different. With regards to Caroll - I know how much he cost you but when I heard somebody on the TV refer to him as the 9th most expensive player in football history ? it kind of put it into context.

United also huffed and puffed against Sunderland so happy for the three points.

As a noob to football (only started following it end of last season), I've never seen a Stadium like that.....with the touchline so close to the fans. I bet it presents some difficulties to the players too, that feeling of being compunded in a bit more.

Bloody Hell Marcel. You've only had a fraction of the ups and downs that City have caused me over the years. 43 of my 46 years have been hampered by loving the club. You chose well fella (y)

QPR were fantastic last night and the City players were full of praise for them in the interviews afterwards. SWP played well and I really like Mackie. I hope they stay up.

Chris :)

43 of my 46 years have been hampered by loving the club.

I was at Maine Road for the 2-2 where Pollock scored the own goal which effectively sent you down instead of us. Of course we were relegated not too long after as well.

I've often wondered if winning the league feels better than getting promoted - you may be able to tell us at the end of the year!

Bloody Hell Marcel. You've only had a fraction of the ups and downs that City have caused me over the years. 43 of my 46 years have been hampered by loving the club. You chose well fella (y)

QPR were fantastic last night and the City players were full of praise for them in the interviews afterwards. SWP played well and I really like Mackie. I hope they stay up.

I've never enjoyed a game so much where we've lost. SWP has been great for us although I'd love to see him release the ball a little sooner at times. Mackie is a player that everyone worried about as to whether he would come good again after his leg break last season, we're not worried anymore. Just watching him in the commentary studio towards the end of the season showed his enthusiasm and determination, at times it was like watching an excited 14 year old! :LOL:

Also, the team seemed to have realised last night that they can play well without Taraabt and what Mackie may lack n skill compared to Adel, he more than makes up for in desire and work ethic.

As for Man City, the players they have on display are frightening and, after what they did at Old Trafford, I can only reiterate how well we did yesterday.

The funniest football story for me is..
Sir Alex not knowing the stand would be named after him, he said he did'nt know.

So has he not walked into the stadium for a week of more and saw builders putting new signs up and asking.. What are those guys doing up there then?

:D

The funniest football story for me is..
Sir Alex not knowing the stand would be named after him, he said he did'nt know.

So has he not walked into the stadium for a week of more and saw builders putting new signs up and asking.. What are those guys doing up there then?

:D

I don't think the players and manager even go to the stadium during the week apart from for matches. So after the CL game midweek he'll have been at the training ground until the weekend.

Interestingly, we've just gone up a place as Bolton have battered Stoke 5-0! Stoke away is our next game and I don't know whether the international break is a good thing or not. They've just conceded 8 goals in 2 games so playing them now would be good but we could also do with the break to get the squad fully fit.

Hopefully Chris (Stokecity_m) can give his thoughts.

fabs said:
Interestingly, we've just gone up a place as Bolton have battered Stoke 5-0! Stoke away is our next game and I don't know whether the international break is a good thing or not. They've just conceded 8 goals in 2 games so playing them now would be good but we could also do with the break to get the squad fully fit.

Hopefully Chris (Stokecity_m) can give his thoughts.

Hopefully you can give them a battering Bolton style and they can steadily fall into relegation :D

Question.
What days are England playing this week and who are they playing..

Cheers

PS. Will it be on normal TV or is it on Sky..

Last edited:
England are playing on Saturday against Spain, 17:15 kickoff

and it's on ITV1 / HD

England are playing on Saturday against Spain, 17:15 kickoff

and it's on ITV1 / HD

Hi Marcel.
Thanks for that, we dont get English papers where we live and if its on Sky its a trip to a bar on the coast..

Cheers.. :)

Yep, QPR.

Difficult for a goal to be offside when there's a defender on the line though. ;)

Just watched the highlights and I still think he's offside when it's served back for the header.

Man_City_win_3-2_at_QPR_extended_highlights_-_Manchester_City_FC-20111107-162456.jpg

At this point the ball is on the way back and when it's behind the QPR player that just served it (I'm crap with names :p), the city player still isn't ahead of him, and thus he's offside.

Still pictures are no good for the off side rule...any way Dataco are gunning for ya ;) ...... I have seen it 10 times and he is definitely ONSIDE.

Just watched the highlights and I still think he's offside when it's served back for the header.

Man_City_win_3-2_at_QPR_extended_highlights_-_Manchester_City_FC-20111107-162456.jpg

At this point the ball is on the way back and when it's behind the QPR player that just served it (I'm crap with names :p), the city player still isn't ahead of him, and thus he's offside.

you sure you got the offside rule right there marcel. the guy at the far of the picture is sending it into the box and he's ahead of everyone having run there,

he then sends it back into the box where every player is behind him. At that point it wouldn't have even mattered if there were any man city players even in the box, since the next qpr player is behind him he's onside there

Screen shot 2011-11-07 at 18.24.18 by MrJoeBoy, on Flickr

Last edited:
So England V Spain then.....

How many will we get gubbed by ?

Could be, I might be being a little generous in my prediction. Think of QPR v Man City last week, that's how I would compare the teams today if I'm honest and if England put in anywhere ear the effort QPR did last week, they'll be able to hold their heads high. I seriously think that, whoever was managing England, we just don't have anywhere near the quality Spain have.

The difference in quality is there to see but not a bad first half from England.

The way I see it:

Spain: Always try to retain possession and move the ball forward when possible.

England: Always try to move the ball forward and retain possession when possible.

Last edited:
Quite noticeable difference in the quality of England's defence I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back