The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey marc, you coming up to stoke to see the qpr game today?

I'll be at the stadium watching

OK then.....

Norwich 1 - 2 Arsenal
Everton 1 - 1 Wolves
Man City 3 - 0 Newcastle
Stoke 1 - 1 QPR
Sunderland 1 - 0 Fulham
West Brom 1 - 1 Bolton
Wigan 1 - 1 Blackburn
Swansea 0 - 1 Man Utd
-----------------------
Chelsea 2 - 1 Liverpool
Tottenham 3 - 1 Aston Villa

Last edited:
Hey marc, you coming up to stoke to see the qpr game today?

I'll be at the stadium watching

Sadly not Joe, been a fair few years since I've been to see them play

OK then.....

Norwich 1 - 2 Arsenal
Everton 1 - 1 Wolves
Man City 3 - 0 Newcastle
Stoke 1 - 1 QPR
Sunderland 1 - 0 Fulham
West Brom 1 - 1 Bolton
Wigan 1 - 1 Blackburn
Swansea 0 - 1 Man Utd
-----------------------
Chelsea 2 - 1 Liverpool
Tottenham 3 - 1 Aston Villa

Not sure about posting the Norwich v Arsenal score when it's already half way through though. :LOL:

2 more from van Persie would do wonders for my FF team as well. :D

I don't know the score though :naughty:

My FF team has gone a bit belly up in recent weeks so fingers crossed for theis weekend.

That was a cracking result. Rode our luck a little at the end, especially with the (lack of) penalty decision.

just got back from the game. Was a very entertaining one to watch but oh my was the ref poor. He was shocking in fact. Not just against stoke either, he was giving wrong calls all over the pitch. Stoke had a stonewall penalty not given in the first 10 mins (at least from where I was sitting) and another pen that looked like it should have been, but not as conclusive, have to watch it again on MOD.

In the second half there was another penalty shout with a handball, and whilst matty etherington was close to the player he clearly lifted his arms up, will see that later again.

Have to say the first 2 QPR goals were crackers, especially the header. But when it went 3-2 QPR ruined the last 15 mins for me. Luke young was laying down like he wanted a nap all over the pitch before he hobbled off, and the qpr players were falling about like there was a sniper in the stands, really poor show and terrible time wasting. When Luke young strolled off I thought that one of the stoke players was going to go and pick him up to get him off the pitch quicker :LOL:

Great last 5 mins though where stoke should have got the equaliser from 2 heards and a shot, but it wasnt to be!

do you still see chelsea as a contender for you this season? I can't see it.

Not sure really Joe - at this stage I just thought I'd rather the points went to you guys.

To be honest though - I don't really see how it matters anymore as (other than top 4 placings) I can't see anybody getting close to City unless they implode big time.:thumbsdown:

Not sure really Joe - at this stage I just thought I'd rather the points went to you guys.

To be honest though - I don't really see how it matters anymore as (other than top 4 placings) I can't see anybody getting close to City unless they implode big time.:thumbsdown:

Well we all remember what happened to Newcastle. ;)

Just watched match of the day from last night, it's funny what they decide to show and what they don't when you compare it to what you saw at the actual match. The pennant penalty wasnt as stonewall as one they didn't show when crouch was hacked down a few minutes later, bizzare that wasn't shown.

Also the ref made some unbelievable bad decisions on fouls for both teams and the crowd were singing songs directed at the ref for long long periods of the game, none of which was shown.

In the last 5 mins there were 4 stoke chances of which they only showed 2. Editing is a bizzare thing.

Just watched match of the day from last night, it's funny what they decide to show and what they don't when you compare it to what you saw at the actual match. The pennant penalty wasnt as stonewall as one they didn't show when crouch was hacked down a few minutes later, bizzare that wasn't shown.

Also the ref made some unbelievable bad decisions on fouls for both teams and the crowd were singing songs directed at the ref for long long periods of the game, none of which was shown.

In the last 5 mins there were 4 stoke chances of which they only showed 2. Editing is a bizzare thing.

They also didn't show that, for the Huth penalty claim, the ref went to discuss it with the linesman and a QPR free kick was awarded as Huth was backing in and grabbed hold of Barton's shirt. Helguson was outstanding but all they talked about were the 2 penalty claims.

They also didn't show that, for the Huth penalty claim, the ref went to discuss it with the linesman and a QPR free kick was awarded as Huth was backing in and grabbed hold of Barton's shirt. Helguson was outstanding but all they talked about were the 2 penalty claims.

Where did you hear that? You said you werent at the match?

It's not true. The free kick was given for a foul after the penalty claim. The ref did go over to discuss with the linesman but it was a for a foul about 2 seconds later. When Barton took Huth over nobody flagged, not even the linesman. If you watch carefully if you have mod still recorded you'll see that once Huth is down and the ball is cleared, the stoke players all stand with their arms up and Barton gets up and goes to run off and Hugh deliberately sticks his leg out and trips him. That's what the free kick was given for, so not sure who's been telling you porky pies, but you should have a word with them :nono:

Where did you hear that? You said you werent at the match?

It's not true. The free kick was given for a foul after the penalty claim. The ref did go over to discuss with the linesman but it was a for a foul about 2 seconds later. When Barton took Huth over nobody flagged, not even the linesman. If you watch carefully if you have mod still recorded you'll see that once Huth is down and the ball is cleared, the stoke players all stand with their arms up and Barton gets up and goes to run off and Hugh deliberately sticks his leg out and trips him. That's what the free kick was given for, so not sure who's been telling you porky pies, but you should have a word with them :nono:

It was on sky last night (match choice).

What's with the extra long grass in the 6 yard box at Stamford Bridge ?

It was on sky last night (match choice).

Right, well as I said, that's not what happened.

Did they show the shocking time wasting from qpr on match choice and Luke young laying down for a nap every 2 minutes?

Also joey Barton had a superb comedy moment when he went to take a corner all the stoke fans were booing him so he put the ball down about a foot away from the corner flag and all the stoke fans were screaming and shouting and he looked around with his hands up saying "what?" wi a bemused look in his face. Then the crowd began laughing, was pretty funny.

Right, well as I said, that's not what happened.

Did they show the shocking time wasting from qpr on match choice and Luke young laying down for a nap every 2 minutes?

Also joey Barton had a superb comedy moment when he went to take a corner all the stoke fans were booing him so he put the ball down about a foot away from the corner flag and all the stoke fans were screaming and shouting and he looked around with his hands up saying "what?" wi a bemused look in his face. Then the crowd began laughing, was pretty funny.

What "shocking time wasting tactics"? Luke young was genuinely injured hence why he had to hobble off.

Don't think Barton found being pelted by coins very funny although he did ake some rather amusing tweets about it later that evening.

What "shocking time wasting tactics"? Luke young was genuinely injured hence why he had to hobble off.

clearly they didn't show it on the match report then. Luke young went down three times. The first time he went down he got up a few mins later and was sprinting around for 5 mins. Then went down again and got up after a few mins, then he laid down literally a metre away from the touchline. Just laid down and the ref had to stop play. This was all before he finally strolled off injured.

The rest of the team were falling over like they were being shot from the stands any time a stoke player came within a few feet of them. I've never seen anything quite like it. The QPR goalkeeper should have been booked for timewasting, at one point peter crouch had to go and actually get the ball for him because he was walking so slowly towards it, and ricardo fuller literally pushed him forwards to try and speed him up to take a free kick.

I'm not talking about the kinds of timewasting you get on a regular basis where a player takes the ball to the corner flag, I have nothing against that, but diving, slowly walking to get the ball, and changing the person taking the throw in three times is just shocking and shouldn't be tolerated.

Don't think Barton found being pelted by coins very funny although he did ake some rather amusing tweets about it later that evening.

i was surprised joey barton got through the game without tweeting actually, he tweets more than I eat hot meals :LOL:

Last edited:
clearly they didn't show it on the match report then. Luke young went down three times. The first time he went down he got up a few mins later and was sprinting around for 5 mins. Then went down again and got up after a few mins, then he laid down literally a metre away from the touchline. Just laid down and the ref had to stop play. This was all before he finally strolled off injured.

The rest of the team were falling over like they were being shot from the stands any time a stoke player came within a few feet of them. I've never seen anything quite like it. The QPR goalkeeper should have been booked for timewasting, at one point peter crouch had to go and actually get the ball for him because he was walking so slowly towards it, and ricardo fuller literally pushed him forwards to try and speed him up to take a free kick.

I'm not talking about the kinds of timewasting you get on a regular basis where a player takes the ball to the corner flag, I have nothing against that, but diving, slowly walking to get the ball, and changing the person taking the throw in three times is just shocking and shouldn't be tolerated.

Joe, I saw the whole match live, didn't see what you saw at all and it's easy to fall over when the opposition players are constantly kicking you. As I said, Luke Young was genuinely injured, no point in wasting time in that fashion as it gets added on by the ref anyway. They spent the last 10 minutes virtually encaped in their penalty area so there wasn't even much opportunity for time wasting.

Let's just leave it at that shall we?

Joe, I saw the whole match live, didn't see what you saw at all and it's easy to fall over when the opposition players are constantly kicking you. As I said, Luke Young was genuinely injured, no point in wasting time in that fashion as it gets added on by the ref anyway. They spent the last 10 minutes virtually encaped in their penalty area so there wasn't even much opportunity for time wasting.

Let's just leave it at that shall we?

if you say so buddy (y)

I'm needing Bale, N'Zogbia and Agbonlahor (if fit) to all score goals tonight.

Doh - a couple of assists for Bale but Villa were shockingly bad. The only way they were able to retain posession was to go backwards.

A limp 31 pts this week with Shawcross my only goal scorer.

Looks like it was a good game but surprised they only got a draw at home. You would expect them to beat Basel or draw but it looks as though there is a good chance they'll finish 2nd so not great for the second round pick.

City on the other hand are going to struggle to even qualify, looks like they have nailed the play in the prem but struggled with the differences in Europe.

They coughed and spluttered a bit Joe if I'm honest although Benfica (undefeated in 25 or something silly) are no mugs.

Giving the own goal away so early didn't help and for the first 20mins or so Benfica were pretty dangerous.

United got on top though and once level were fairly dominant although still making mistakes and Benfica still look handy on the break.

It was more a case of 'when' than 'if' the second goal would come and once it did I thought United would just push on from there but another silly error brought Benfica level again.

After that there was more pressing and more chances but it wasn't to be. Frustrating on the whole.

If United qualify then it looks like it will be in 2nd place. Getting an 'easier' team team in the next round doesn't really matter - we're aiming for a 4th Champions League Final in 5 years so we can't improve without winning the bloody thing which means meeting the best anyway.

Last edited:
Following up from Fabs idea for a weekly prediction, anyone up for a final place competition?

So for example predict your top 6 and bottom 6. 1 point for correct place, 1 bonus point for getting the top 6 right (in any order) and 1 for getting the bottom 6 right (in any order).

Closing date of say 2nd December, make as many changes as you want before then. We can then collate final entries into one post and see who claims the glory come the end of the season.

So, I'll start, anyone else want to play? (I'll need to come back to work out the points!). I expect to change this many times before the 2nd December!

Team Final Points

1 Man City
2 Man United
3 Tottenham
4 Arsenal
5 Chelsea
6 Liverpool

15 Fulham
16 Wolves
17 Sunderland
18 Norwich
19 Swansea
20 Wigan

Last edited:
I'll play Al

Much as it pains me to say - I also suspect City will be top come the end.

1. Man City
2. Man U
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Tottenham
6. Chelsea

15. Bolton
16. Swansea
17. Norwich
18. Wolves
19. Blackburn
20. Wigan