The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The journalist committed the ultimate sin of actually questioning whether the premiership is really that good, given domestic results against CL ones. That's Apoel Nicosia the first Cypriot tem through to the group stages, by the way! :clap:

1. Man City
2. Man U
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Tottenham
6. Chelsea

15. Bolton
16. Swansea
17. Norwich
18. Wolves
19. Blackburn
20. Wigan

I was tempted to put Arsenal 3rd, just have this feeling Scott Parker is going to make that difference for Spurs this year - time will tell! Don't forget to add in your final points tally for each team!

Well here's my guess

1 - Man City
2 - Man United
3 - Chelsea
4 - Arsenal
5 - Tottenham
6 - Liverpool

15 - Sunderland
16 - Wolves
17 - Fulham
18 - Bolton
19 - Blackburn
20 - Wigan

[YOUTUBE]CbwZKk3IG44[/YOUTUBE]

Most of it is Scottish related, but there's a few English ones for those not familiar with our managers up here. The Steve Bruce one was very good.

Very good

Craig Levein, Stuart McCall, Neil Lenon, Steve Bruce were spot on.

The slow Steven Pressley was so funny.

Richard Gordon was superb.

What odds would u have got on that after 5 CL games arsenal would have already won their group, and the other English teams would be in 2nd at best, and quite possibly the goodness could be the only ones to go through?

On a different note, how sh**t is gervino? That 1 on 1 balls up tonite was shocking.

Would not be too disappointed if he went. Long term I cannot see us getting top 4 and if we lose CL then it will be so hard to get good players and keep RVP, Wiltshire, Walcott etc...

We are not as strong as man c, man u, Liverpool, Chelsea and even maybe spurs. If he splashes the cash on quality players in jan and accepts that we are rubbish at the back and dumps players like koscielny, djorou, arsharvin, rosicky, diaby, then buys at least one world class def, mid and att at least then wenger in. If not it proves he is blind!

1 Man City
2 Man United
3 Tottenham
4 Arsenal
5 Chelsea
6 Liverpool

15 Fulham
16 Wolves
17 Sunderland
18 Norwich
19 Swansea
20 Wigan

1. Man Utd
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Spurs
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool

15. Wolves
16. Norwich
17. Swansea
18. Bolton
19. Blackburn
20. Wigan

Last edited:
Micky Quinn (ex footballer now Talk Sport presenter) - renowned for taking the phrase 'Rose tinted spectacles' to a whole new level ;)

with regard to liverpool finishing 4th you mean?

I don't see why that would be rose tinted spectacles, when you look at chelsea and Tottenham's inconsistencies I think this season they have as much chance as either of them

I don't see why that would be rose tinted spectacles, when you look at chelsea and Tottenham's inconsistencies I think this season they have as much chance as either of them

I think that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool pretty much have equal chances of finishing beind the 2 Manchester clubs.

Chelsea have been poor recently but do have a strong team, and are all experienced. As soon as they drop Luiz and if Torres can find the goal they will be fine. Arsenal have been a revelation in the last month or 2, if RVP can stay fit then anything can happen! Spurs have been great since the first 2 games, strong squad too and Liverpool have bought very well and just need to turn Anfield into the fortress it was. At this stage, hard to seperate them!

I think that Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool pretty much have equal chances of finishing beind the 2 Manchester clubs.

Chelsea have been poor recently but do have a strong team, and are all experienced. As soon as they drop Luiz and if Torres can find the goal they will be fine. Arsenal have been a revelation in the last month or 2, if RVP can stay fit then anything can happen! Spurs have been great since the first 2 games, strong squad too and Liverpool have bought very well and just need to turn Anfield into the fortress it was. At this stage, hard to seperate them!

can't disagree with that

Yes.

I'm not saying they won't finish fourth (there's little between Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham) I was just wondering if you'd put them fourth out of loyalty or not.

Yes.

I'm not saying they won't finish fourth (there's little between Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham) I was just wondering if you'd put them fourth out of loyalty or not.

no, i've been very realistic about their ability in seasons past. If I were doing that i'd have put man u 3rd out of disloyalty to them but being realistic i dont see them finishing less than 2nd.

I would say 4th is an optimistic guess at Liverpool's chances, but I don't think it's far fetched

Is Tim Krul possibly in the top 5 keepers in the EPL. Another fine display today to go with some top performances from earlier on this season. Mind seeing him when he was on loan to Falkirk and he was good then, but seems to have come on leaps and bounds since then.

Which is nice.

Is Tim Krul possibly in the top 5 keepers in the EPL. Another fine display today to go with some top performances from earlier on this season. Mind seeing him when he was on loan to Falkirk and he was good then, but seems to have come on leaps and bounds since then.

Which is nice.

Yes - and he coped very well with an onslaught today (much to my dispair)

I haven't even seen any of the higlights, but can imagine that Krul just proved himself to be another competent shot stopper. There is so much more to their game than preventing the ball from going in the net.

Goalkeepers rise and fall in people's estimation too quickly, depending on who they are warding off ... their quick release for counter attacking, calming influence to prevent a quick return of attack and ability to remain focussed in quieter periods is really underappreciated.

Is Petr Cech in the top 5 with his over the top head gear, suggesting a degree of caution dipslayed by no one else?
Is David De Gea that good, or the fella in the blue net; give them a crap defence at their age and see how they'd perform?

new2me

'Shot stopper' was certainly the order of the day for Krul yesterday.

I watched the match live in full on a very glitchy stop start stream so saw little more than the MOTD highlights and without having seen many other games from him can't honestly comment on his overall quality.

Cech - take your point.

De Gea (as a United fan) - I'm still undecided about him as he's just a kid at the end of the day. He has potential and Fergie obviously wants to bring in youth and grow their confidence for years to come but at any moment he could pull the pug on him. I think Anders Lindegaard looks just as good but obviously (without De Gea's price tag) isn't quite in the same spotlight.

Your 'fella' in the Blue net - (Joe Hart I guess) - I don't particularly like him but I'd take him tomorrow and not just because he's our (England's) keeper.

i'm a Red too mate and so you can see why i hold the position in high regard.

We have more chance of getting another Great Dane than getting another Fergie, but aprt from Scmiec.. (oh, I cant spell his name) there haven't been that many consistent keepers in English football - Shilton, Southall, Clemence, Seaman, Jennings errrrr, help me out here?

Last edited:
Cech's "over the top head gear"? He suffered a depressed head fracture that doctors said almost cost him his life. It might look silly but he'd be a fool not to protect his skull given that there's a weakness there.

And before you say it, I'm not a chelsea fan.

Laugh at every time someone takes a pop at Cech for his head gear.

As stated he suffered a very nasty injury. But he still comes for crosses, still dives at peoples feet and still put's himself in position where he could get injured. Degree of caution my arse.

Well Kompany got me a goal for the fantasy football.

Wanting Liverpool to push on and get the 3 points though.

A draw for city Liverpool. Decent result for us given its city I spose.

United fans can see it two ways I spose, a missed opportunity to catch city or a let off that they didn't go further ahead

A draw for city Liverpool. Decent result for us given its city I spose.

United fans can see it two ways I spose, a missed opportunity to catch city or a let off that they didn't go further ahead

As we'd already played and drawn - a let off without a doubt. Just a shame Liverpool didn't get the winner although a draw suits.

Thought the sending off was a bit harsh but the guy is a chump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back