The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Gary Speed.

Shocking news, couldn't believe it when I first read it.

Terrible decision to give Balotelli a 2nd yellow, even if he is a bit stupid at times. Both teams had chances to win but both keepers were fantastic but some ejit gives MoM to Lucas, either keeper should have got the award.

As for the result, us Man U fans will be quite happy that Man (better than Barca) City could not win at the Pool, even we drew with them and we are poor this year, so far.

Terrible decision to give Balotelli a 2nd yellow, even if he is a bit stupid at times. Both teams had chances to win but both keepers were fantastic but some ejit gives MoM to Lucas, either keeper should have got the award.

As for the result, us Man U fans will be quite happy that Man (better than Barca) City could not win at the Pool, even we drew with them and we are poor this year, so far.

Balotelli is an odd ball thats for sure.. :)

Balotelli was unlucky to b sent off IMO. Liverpool really deserved to win though. They did really well late on.

another great win against chelsea. First semi final for bloody ages. albeit in a competition that is pointless.

No doubt the jammy man u will draw cardiff after beating Crystal palace tonight and leave us with their noisy neighbours in the semi

I'm not counting my chickens Joe - United will have an odd team out for the game tonight against Palace so who knows what will happen.

No idea Joe - probably something to do with TV bigwigs ?

Did he walk ?

No, he got in his Range Rover...another big pay off for failing...how do football managers do it?

Mind you, I would rather have Bruce in charge than that crackpot Kean, I agree that you must be optimistic but he is deluded about how good he is.

Following up from Fabs idea for a weekly prediction, anyone up for a final place competition?

So for example predict your top 6 and bottom 6. 1 point for correct place, 1 bonus point for getting the top 6 right (in any order) and 1 for getting the bottom 6 right (in any order).

Closing date of say 2nd December, make as many changes as you want before then. We can then collate final entries into one post and see who claims the glory come the end of the season.

So, I'll start, anyone else want to play? (I'll need to come back to work out the points!). I expect to change this many times before the 2nd December!

Team

1 Man City
2 Man United
3 Tottenham
4 Arsenal
5 Chelsea
6 Liverpool

15 Fulham
16 Wolves
17 Sunderland
18 Norwich
19 Swansea
20 Wigan

Anyone else want to play - few days to go until closing - so far Dinners, Cambsno and JoeScrivens are in.

I'll have a go..

Man City
Man U
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs.

Swansea
Norwich
Bolton
Wolves
Blackburn
Wigan

Thats the best I could do..

Bizarre game for spurs tonight. Have to say to play on when the PAOK player was down and Defoe was showing so much concern was very unsporting and I'm surprised the ref didn't blow the whistle to stop play. Coupled with the harsh red i'd say the game's turned out fair so far though.

Just seen the post match analysis and you can clearly see the goal-side official is clearly screaming for a free-kick against Defoe. Good to see them finally play a valuable role in decision making, just a shame there had to be such confusion mid-game! Have to say tottenham really didn't deserve the win today. They were poor first half and for all their possession after the sending off they actually carried very little threat.

and you can clearly see the goal-side official is clearly screaming for a free-kick against Defoe

I was saying that to the tele(yes I'm insane lol) when the commentators were banging on about the offside rule :D

Manure beaten at home by crystal palace. Well I never. Looks like a weakened man u side but still fielding 10 internationals you'd have thought they'd get through it. No big loss though. It's only the carling cup

:LOL: think we should change the title of this thread to The Premiership.... :D

I feel left out :LOL:

Tough - you can't have him back after Monday nights goal :razz:

:LOL:

Seriously, I don't know why he was left out of the 25, there's some real crap left in inc Keiron Dyer who was crocked after 6 minutes of his debut and that was before the 25 was submitted! :wacky:

Well hopefully he'll get to play a bit of 1st team football albeit with a league 1 side but might give him a boost when he comes back to you

I'll have a go..

Man City
Man U
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs.

Swansea
Norwich
Bolton
Wolves
Blackburn
Wigan

Thats the best I could do..

(y) - no-one seems to have much faith in Wigan staying up!

Well hopefully he'll get to play a bit of 1st team football albeit with a league 1 side but might give him a boost when he comes back to you

Sadly, I think he may well stay with you as I think QPR are planning on doing some spending in January and the chances of him getting back in are slim.

That said, I hope he does well for Charlton. He's a smashing lad and deserves a shot at the top level at some point.

I'll give it a shot

1 Man City
2 Man United
3 Arsenal
4 Liverpool
5 Chelsea
6 Tottenham

15 Fulham
16 Norwich
17 Wolves
18 Blackburn
19 Swansea
20 Wigan

Excellent, I'll try and collate these all into one post after Friday's deadline - which we may allow to be extended based on the FIFA voting system (totally co-incidentally I collect brown envelopes).

fabs said:
Sadly, I think he may well stay with you as I think QPR are planning on doing some spending in January and the chances of him getting back in are slim.

That said, I hope he does well for Charlton. He's a smashing lad and deserves a shot at the top level at some point.

That will be a good thing then. He showed a lot of promise Monday

His only chance might be that the Championship core players have been doing well - he was unlucky to get dropped last half of the season and I imagine we will let Puncheon go back so he might get in that way, especially if we concentrate on the defence and attack. Plus Tarrabt may be on his way...if anyone he deems big enough for him will buy him of course...

That will be a good thing then. He showed a lot of promise Monday

He works hard, decent on the ball and will score a few goals. Too good for league 1 (I don't mean that disrespectfully - we've been there all too recently - but it looks like if he does stay with you he'd be back in the Championship next season).

I have to say I loved League 1, after years of total rubbish everyone came together and there was a great atmosphere around the club again.

I'm not counting my chickens Joe - United will have an odd team out for the game tonight against Palace so who knows what will happen.

Manure beaten at home by crystal palace. Well I never. Looks like a weakened man u side but still fielding 10 internationals you'd have thought they'd get through it. No big loss though. It's only the carling cup

Had a feeling that one was coming Joe hence my comments earlier today. Like you say though United put out 'International' players and whilst individually they should have had enough to cope with Palace the fact the team wasn't a team was pretty clear to see.

Shame for United though as some of those that featured (Amos, Diouf, Macheda, Morrison, Pogba, Fryers, Gibson) are the players that need to develop together as progress into the semis would have given them another two games against Cardiff and possibly cup final experience against a top side like Liverpool or City. In terms of 1st team players that played - Park, Valencia, Berbatov, Smalling, Evans and the twins either needed games for games sake or games as they come back from injury so again I can understand why they played although the twins both came off injured.

What does annoy me is Fergies choice not to play (or at least put on the bench) first choice players - De Gea or Lindegaard, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Jones, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley, Giggs, Nani, Young, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernadez......I know a couple have knocks but tonight was just too much a case of Fergie deciding none of them would feature regardless. He has actually come out tonight and said - "I don't know where to start to be honest. My apologies go to our fans tonight because that was not a Manchester United performance" which is nice but I guess (with any rotation) the decision will be judged by how the restored team perform having had a rest.

What a goal by Ambrose though - that was a screamer :puke: - Reminded me of this one......

[YOUTUBE]0rAy7dGhtgI[/YOUTUBE]

As for the Semi Final draw - I'm glad Liverpool and City got each other as that at least means one of Cardiff or Palace will get a Wembley final.

I'd like to see Palace beat Cardiff (due to my Swansea links) in the one semi but can't decide between the Berties or the Dippers in the other LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back