The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
on drawing cardiff the crystal palace manager said

"It's probably the hardest draw, to be honest," he said. "They are up at the top of the Championship and it is going to be very difficult for us."

really? so he thinks playing cardiff is going to be tougher than playing man city given that cardiff are at the top of the championship? How about man city being the top of the premier league?

they don't half say some stupid things sometimes football managers.

as for the draw, well it was guaranteed that liverpool would get city due to a law from someone called murphy. It's a bit like last year in the cup when man u played man city in the semi, that was the final as you were pretty sure that whoever got to play stoke would beat them in the final.

you never know though, look at birmingham against arsenal last year

[YOUTUBE]0rAy7dGhtgI[/YOUTUBE]

ahhh andy gray I do not miss you, I MEAN THAT!!!!

why would he say something and follow it with "I mean that". When would he say something like the goal was stunning and not mean it? That used to be the catchphrase of his I hated the most because it made the least sense.

WHAT A NIGHT! EEEEAAGLES!!

Travelled up to Old Trafford yesterday with my dad, and met my brother who was up in Manchester visiting my sister, who goes to Uni there.

Really don't know where to start with the match. Our fans showed just what real fans are like. Loud, the whole match. I've followed Palace all around the country, to some 40 different grounds, seen some insane games, last minute survival and triumph but this was different. No expectations, nothing to lose, just the opportunity to display our love for our club. And we were rewarded by how our players played.

Today, I should do some work, but I didnt get back until 4am so I'm a little tired. I have no voice, sore shin but one massive smile.

Football at it's best!

He works hard, decent on the ball and will score a few goals. Too good for league 1 (I don't mean that disrespectfully - we've been there all too recently - but it looks like if he does stay with you he'd be back in the Championship next season).

I have to say I loved League 1, after years of total rubbish everyone came together and there was a great atmosphere around the club again.

I know where you're coming from, don't worry :)

Fingers crossed for our promotion next season. I'd like to say that we're definitely going up with the 7 points clear at the top but after last season's post-Christmas collapse, I'm going to stay a little quiet. But, saying that, we didn't have Powell in charge, we didn't have half the team we have now. A fresher, younger, goal-scoring team that are shaping up quite nicely. I'm really looking forward to the Oldham game on 17th. That's the next chance I can get to go and watch

I know where you're coming from, don't worry :)

Fingers crossed for our promotion next season. I'd like to say that we're definitely going up with the 7 points clear at the top but after last season's post-Christmas collapse, I'm going to stay a little quiet. But, saying that, we didn't have Powell in charge, we didn't have half the team we have now. A fresher, younger, goal-scoring team that are shaping up quite nicely. I'm really looking forward to the Oldham game on 17th. That's the next chance I can get to go and watch

Kelack, I've only just twigged that you're a Charlton fan.

...... I used to like reading your posts...... :wave:(y):LOL:

:bat:

:LOL:

And I wasn't going to say a word about Palace :razz:

I actually went to Selhurst Park on Saturday :D

WHAT A NIGHT! EEEEAAGLES!!

Travelled up to Old Trafford yesterday with my dad, and met my brother who was up in Manchester visiting my sister, who goes to Uni there.

Really don't know where to start with the match. Our fans showed just what real fans are like. Loud, the whole match. I've followed Palace all around the country, to some 40 different grounds, seen some insane games, last minute survival and triumph but this was different. No expectations, nothing to lose, just the opportunity to display our love for our club. And we were rewarded by how our players played.

Today, I should do some work, but I didnt get back until 4am so I'm a little tired. I have no voice, sore shin but one massive smile.

Football at it's best!

nice,i bet go back down south on the train was quite morbid, what with all those man u fans heading back to london :D

nice,i bet go back down south on the train was quite morbid, what with all those man u fans heading back to london :D

Drove. Happened to see loads of Manure fans at services on the M6 on the way up.... JUST OUTSIDE BIRMINGHAM!! Typical!

"We'll race you back to London!"

:bat:

:LOL:

And I wasn't going to say a word about Palace :razz:

I actually went to Selhurst Park on Saturday :D

Was a bit of a damp squib on Saturday, so I heard. I was working up at Newcastle Racecourse.

Look forward to next season, that's if Charlton don't do their usual post Christmas collapse....! (y)

It was still a good game, albeit a 0-0 draw. Can't believe the penalty miss though.

It was still a good game, albeit a 0-0 draw. Can't believe the penalty miss though.

Was a shocker, wasn't it. Don't know why Ambrose didn't take it. Think he will take any form of free-kick from now on!!

So - who do we want / not want in the Euros draw tomorrow ?

Pot One:
Poland
Ukraine
Spain
Holland

Pot Two:
Germany
Italy
England
Russia

Pot Three:
Croatia
Greece
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Four:
Denmark
France
Czech Republic
Republic of Ireland

Poland, England, Greece, Czech Republic would be my choice I think.

Just seen the dummy run draw at the UEFA headquarters....

Ukraine, England, Croatia and Republic of Ireland were the ones drawn out...would be funny to see that happy for real.

1 Man City
2 Man U
3 Arsenal
4 Spurs
5 Liverpool
6 Chelsea

15 Swansea
16 Wolves
17 Norwich
18 Bolton
19 Wigan
20 Fulham

1 Man City
2 Man U
3 Arsenal
4 Spurs
5 Liverpool
6 Chelsea

15 Swansea
16 Wolves
17 Norwich
18 Bolton
19 Wigan
20 Fulham

Excellent - it's deadline day - any more takers?

im surprised o'neill took the sunderland job. I would have expected he was waiting for harry to go to england and take over at spurs

Pot One:
Poland
Ukraine
Spain
Holland

Pot Two:
Germany
Italy
England
Russia

Pot Three:
Croatia
Greece
Portugal
Sweden

Pot Four:
Denmark
France
Czech Republic
Republic of Ireland

i wouldn't mind getting spain in the group actually so that it would mean we wouldn't have to face them again till the final where we might pull off another miracle.

Well it was nearly the case - Poland, Greece and Czech Republic all came out in the same group but Russia got in with them.

Ukraine, Sweeden, France and England = could have been worse !

Yeah kind of an indifferent group for us. At least there's a good chance Portugal and Croatia don't make it to next round and those are 2 of our bogie teams

At least we know one of Portugal, Germany or Holland will be going home early.

I guess England have a half decent chance of progressing so the Rooney thing can at least be weighed up knowing what it actually means in terms of games.

Ireland have got it tough though.

I'm all for a free thinking Europe and new ideas to perk up the competition but '*******' could raise eyebrows :thinking:

'Politics' though - I draw the line at that :thumbsdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
At least we can concentrate on the Premiership now........

An interesting draw to say the least. Nottm Forest v Leicester looks a tasty one as well.

From a personal point of view, very tempted to make the trip to Stadium MK, I only live 10 miles away.

Disgraceful dive by Larson today. Why will the FA not look at this and ban him for 3 or 5 games. It's the only way to stop this.

Disgraceful dive by Larson today. Why will the FA not look at this and ban him for 3 or 5 games. It's the only way to stop this.

I think it would be very hard for The F.A. to police. I'd like to see it thrown back to the clubs to sort at, by some sort of referral method. If a manager of a team feels genuinely aggrieved they could refer the alleged offence to a panel, same as for violent conduct (although of course these are not referred in the same way). If found guilty I'd agree 3 match ban, possibly increase if the dive led to a yellow\red car or penalty.

This will never happen though!

Re the F.A Cup, I see it's City v Utd. I wonder if one day they will see the 3rd round to no Premier League teams can play each other. Ultimately no Premier league teams want to at this stage, lower league teams generally would prefer to play PL teams as would the supporters of those teams, and The F.A and their sponsors would prefer the big teams to get through to the later stages.

This probably won't happen either but is maybe 1% more likely!

Yes it was a premeditated dive, yes the defender pulled his foot away at the very last moment but ALL players (pro) do it so I think it would be hard to coach out of them....unfortunately it is part of the game. Say for instance the Premier/FA take a hard stance against it but other Ligas don't (see what I did there?) and one of our teams fall foul of such an event in a multi national comp...we would be kicking ourselves ....so to speak if we call spoil but thee other federations do not. After all, we have referees to run the matches.

I don't like it more than the next man but I have accepted it.

Re the F.A Cup, I see it's City v Utd. I wonder if one day they will see the 3rd round to no Premier League teams can play each other. Ultimately no Premier league teams want to at this stage, lower league teams generally would prefer to play PL teams as would the supporters of those teams, and The F.A and their sponsors would prefer the big teams to get through to the later stages.

Not going to happen because the F.A. Cup is being downgraded all the time....unfortunately.

I think it would be very hard for The F.A. to police. I'd like to see it thrown back to the clubs to sort at, by some sort of referral method. If a manager of a team feels genuinely aggrieved they could refer the alleged offence to a panel, same as for violent conduct (although of course these are not referred in the same way). If found guilty I'd agree 3 match ban, possibly increase if the dive led to a yellow\red car or penalty.

This will never happen though!

I don't see that its difficult. FA act when violent conduct takes place so why not dives too. There have been many cases of a player being charged, like N'Zonzi at Blackburn the other week. Obviously it can't change the game, but if it was a 5 or even 7 game ban then maybe players would think twice.

Don't agree. Yes, nice when a team gets a Prem team but like the fact it's a random draw.

Not going to happen because the F.A. Cup is being downgraded all the time....unfortunately.

It's been on a downer since Man Utd were encouraged not to enter one year and with the rise of the Champions League. I think this would bring it back up a bit though, more potential for some shocks, more big teams left in at the end \ later rounds.

I don't see that its difficult. FA act when violent conduct takes place so why not dives too. There have been many cases of a player being charged, like N'Zonzi at Blackburn the other week. Obviously it can't change the game, but if it was a 5 or even 7 game ban then maybe players would think twice.

Violent conduct tends to be more obvious and less frequent then diving. I think a lot of the times it's a judgement call and they'd be accused of favouring big teams etc, so a referral system would work.

I agree on the strong penalties anyway as once that is in place the problem would reduce significantly.

Don't agree. Yes, nice when a team gets a Prem team but like the fact it's a random draw.

I know what you mean and historically I have always enjoyed it, mumbling at the TV not to be drawn away. As a QPR fan we have been so bad in Cup competitions I have almost given up on them....

But as per my above post, and Tiler's it needs a boost, and I think this could help. Not worth arguing too much over as unlikely to change! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back