The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant result for Blackburn, still not convinced by Kean but was a nice surprise to wake upto!

Having gone to OT yesterday, I still can't believe how Utd lost......BB, although scoring more, were just not creating anything and are rightly so at he bottom end of the table.

One of the big things I noticed yesterday was the lack of atmosphere and this was partly due to a strange team selection from the manager. As someone who played top class sport I can only say that sometimes the atmosphere makes the difference to a teams play. Many of the Utd fans appeared more to be booing BB keeper than getting behind their team which sort of distracts the rest of the fans from creating a positive atmosphere. This is one area Utd (or even all clubs) need to take a leaf out of FC United's book on creating atmosphere.

The season is shaping up nicely.

joescrivens said:
That's what I said :thinking:

He wanted the ball up to him cos he wasn't getting it.

This weekend is shaping up nicely so far. Liverpool with a convincing win, man u lose to the bottom team at home, hopefully city can get three points tomorrow and restore a 3 point lead going into 2012.

I think he was actually saying he wanted fast ball into him. He looked like a different player when Gerrard came on and whipped those crosses in.

tiler65 said:
Having gone to OT yesterday, I still can't believe how Utd lost......BB, although scoring more, were just not creating anything and are rightly so at he bottom end of the table.

One of the big things I noticed yesterday was the lack of atmosphere and this was partly due to a strange team selection from the manager. As someone who played top class sport I can only say that sometimes the atmosphere makes the difference to a teams play. Many of the Utd fans appeared more to be booing BB keeper than getting behind their team which sort of distracts the rest of the fans from creating a positive atmosphere. This is one area Utd (or even all clubs) need to take a leaf out of FC United's book on creating atmosphere.

The season is shaping up nicely.

It's the same at Anfield now, Tom. Too many tourists and idiots who don't understand what support is and are more interested in taking pictures on their mobiles.

Interesting. Everyone I know who watched the game on tv including the mod pundits said united just played poorly and Blackburn played really well. But I've been to a game where it was a completely different story to what anyone who watched it on tv thought so maybe it was just portrayed very differently.

And to give one answer as to how united lost - de gea. He really isn't shaping up to be what fergie had hoped.

Last edited:
Interesting. Everyone I know who watched the game on tv including the mod pundits said united just played poorly and Blackburn played really well. But I've been to a game where it was a completely different story to what anyone who watched it on tv thought so maybe it was just portrayed very differently.

And to give one answer as to how united lost - de gea. He really isn't shaping up to be what fergie had hoped.

I agree that De Drop might not be good enough yet but if the ref could easily have given a foul against the attacker in the 3rd goal situation. As for the rest of the game.....he had nothing to do, so on affect he really was not to blame.

The Yak was BB's only player of note yesterday and because of Utd's lack of quality centre halves he appeared to have a better game than normal.

If the stories are true about why Fergie didn't pick Rooney, Evans and Gibson then you have to stand by him as rules are rules.......just ask the mods on here. :p

It was a hellish blunder from the goalie, but I wont blame United losing on an individual incident when playing the bottom side in the league; it should have been won already.

As for booing the keeper, it can come back and bite ya :( I'm sure Liverpool fans thought chanting USA was hilarious back in the day, but look what happened there :D
Although a bit of fun, it winds me up how much the OT support sing anti City/Liverpool songs (as do other clubs about their dearest rivals I guess), but the lack of home vocal support for the team on the day is poor and can be quite uncomfortable. The odd song for legendary players when we're 3 nil up is fine, but there's little to replace it when we're drawing and not creating anything.

I've just watched the Man Utd game on MotD and I have to say that they've only got themselves to blame. A very poor penalty to give away for the 1st goal but something that so often happens when a striker is defending. The 2nd was down to poor defending and a slice of luck for the goal scorer with the ricochet. De Gea never even got off the ground with the 3rd but all credit to Hanley for his tenacity.

As for pundits, I stopped taking any notice of them a long time ago, especially Shearer & Lawrenson (I fats forward through their bits mostly). A prime example was Shearer saying that a van Persie header was "a great effort, he was unlucky not to score", it wasn't even on target!

It's the same at Anfield now, Tom. Too many tourists and idiots who don't understand what support is and are more interested in taking pictures on their mobiles.

That really bugs me too :thumbsdown:

Have to say that the Yak is banging in a lot of goals despite being fat and slow, and playing for a crap team.

Chelsea are a shock. In the past they didn't lose at home, now they look poor, although to be fair to Terry, he is being made to look worse than he is by trying to do the job of 2 men as Luiz looks even worse than djorou at arsenal.

almost a perfect weekend really, with liverpool winning and then chelsea losing, spurs drawing and united losing, but then city go and screw up their game and lose.

united will be kicking themselves they couldn't beat the worst team in the PL as it would have meant them being 3 points ahead of city at the start of 2012

probably my worst ff week ever and a lot of others by the look of it.

joescrivens said:
almost a perfect weekend really, with liverpool winning and then chelsea losing, spurs drawing and united losing, but then city go and screw up their game and lose.

united will be kicking themselves they couldn't beat the worst team in the PL as it would have meant them being 3 points ahead of city at the start of 2012

probably my worst ff week ever and a lot of others by the look of it.

Yeah, but now if we best City tomorrow we're only 8 behind. ;)

I was sad to hear today that Gary Ablett has passed away aged just 46. Terrible news.

Apparently they had training the next day and all 3 were not training particularly well when Mr Fergie noticed and then found the truth about them and they were not supposed to be seen out drinking. A footballers life is a hard one but they do have some perks.

Rules are rules.

Apparently they had training the next day and all 3 were not training particularly well when Mr Fergie noticed and then found the truth about them and they were not supposed to be seen out drinking. A footballers life is a hard one but they do have some perks.

Rules are rules.

It also sends a strong message to the rest of the squad who might have been wondering if they could get away with the same. :rules:

Rules are rules.

Did you read the story? According to the bbc report they had a designated day off and fergie called just those three in to train on their day off because he had heard they went out. That's the part I don't understand, why can't they go out the night before a day off for a meal?

Did you read the story? According to the bbc report they had a designated day off and fergie called just those three in to train on their day off because he had heard they went out. That's the part I don't understand, why can't they go out the night before a day off for a meal?

The story I read said they were out on the Monday night and looked sluggish at training on the Tuesday. It was the Wednesday that was the day off but they got called in due to their underperfomance on the Tuesday. Now if they had gone out on the Tuesday night instead, none of this would have happened. :bonk:

The Mighty Hammers scrape a win against the bottom team but both Southampton and the Smoggies lose, and Lambert is banned for the next three games.

A good day to be a Hammer.

The story I read said they were out on the Monday night and looked sluggish at training on the Tuesday. It was the Wednesday that was the day off but they got called in due to their underperfomance on the Tuesday. Now if they had gone out on the Tuesday night instead, none of this would have happened. :bonk:

Yes that makes sense. Reading the report again with that info that is consistent although written in away that was a bit laboured.

Ok so that makes sense to me, they would be allowed to go out if they could either perform perfectly the next day in training or had a day off the next day

Blackburn & Villa suffering from hangovers ... it's a funny old game :thinking:

Does no one want to talk about the mighty Fulham's win last night? I am rahter happy about it! ;)

They seemed to play really well in the second half from what I can see on motd. I am currently watching QPR v Norwich and I must admit I enjoyed seeing Barton get sent off!

Agreed on the improvement. There seems to be a little more cohesion in the team over the past few weeks and some real attacking flare as well. We just need more goals!

Bloody robbed we were, with that offside goal :LOL:

Still, you win some you lose some!

Does no one want to talk about the mighty Fulham's win last night? I am rahter happy about it! ;)

Yes - great victory.

I'd taken Bobby Zamora out of my Fantasy Football team as (earlier in the week) he was showing as being doubtful for the match.

That said I replaced him with Morison of Norwich and he got me a goal.

Have to congratulate Fulham for the way they fought back in the 2nd half. I do feel slightly aggrieved that Gervinho didn't receive a penalty for the incontestable trip in the box once he stepped back inside but can't complain about the Djourou 2nd yellow. It was a little on the soft side but you can't put your arm across someone who's got the position on you like that. We've been ravaged by injuries to our back four and it's inevitable that teams can take advantage of our shortcomings in that area. Hopefully January can see us add to numbers in that area...i'd hate to see us start relying on squillachi because he's absolutely terrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back