The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did understand what you said. My point was that just being a goal scoring opportunity does not mean an automatic red card, other factors would have to be taken into account. A player with ball at feet 20 yards out with a clear sight of goal is a goal scoring opportunity but a foul wouldn't automatically warrant a red card if there were other players betwwen him and the goal. That's why I asked if there were other players between the Man City player and the goal because I hadn't seen it.

If it's A CLEAR GOAL SCORING OPERTUNITY it's a red card. No matter what. What makes a clear goal scoring opertunity, that's debatable.

Enjoying the man u Newcastle game a lot, not just because man u are losing either

60 mins in and now man u turn it up. If there isn't a man u goal in the next 10 minutes I will eat my hat. Hopefully nani or jones

Howard scored for Everton, not seen the goal out but always great to have a keeper score!

Well the hat was tasty. United had a good ten min spell but have looked very poor otherwise. Ferguson said they don't lose 2 in a row. They do now. Jones with an own goal, that's gonna cost me on ff.

C'mon guys, how about a bit of credit for a cracking result for Bolton! :clap::clap::clap:

Enjoy your hat Joe LOL ?

United were poor tonight. I've no complaints with the result and Newcastle played some great stuff. I'll live in hope of hanging onto City this season but I think (and hope) that tonight might result in the club doing something with the midfield.

Peter - yes great win for Bolton

yeah i think it's got to be time for fergie to go back on his usual stance of not buying in january.

I think kaka or schneijder are on their way to manchester

yeah i think it's got to be time for fergie to go back on his usual stance of not buying in january.

I think kaka or schneijder are on their way to manchester

One of those would be nice but I doubt they'll pay the wages mate. We've not really been buying players of that ilk for years now. We saw it all again last year with Schnieder, Nasri and Modric. Nobody is even sure what if anything he's allowed to spend.

In terms of the past - Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic came duing the January transfer window as did Henrik Larsson who (perhaps more relevantly) came as a injury filler.

There's a few January names being banded about to 'fill in' - but there's also young long term targets (Granit Xhaka for example) but whether they'll push those now is another matter.

Last edited:
I've seen a bit of mention of Taiwo coming to arsenal although the official reports have denied it. That would be an absolutely cracking signing for us if you ask me!

I was a bit disappointed with the way Man U lacked their usual ability to press the opposition, Newcastle were the team doing all the pressing. Rio seemed to be far too deep off Ba and Ba certainly deserves all the plaudits.

One basic rule in football training when you are kids.....don't let the ball bounce from a long punt....both Man U and Bolton were made to pay by not endearing to those thoughts.

The 1st half penalty shout I am unsure on...I wouldn't have cried if it was given but the slo mo does not show anything more than a tangle of legs, if Rio had gone down instead some would say it was a foul on him. Makes football more interesting for it.

Steven Taylor's waistcoat......discuss.

I was shocked how much control newcastle had over united, most of man u's big names didnt step up. although newcastle did look like a much better team than they did against liverpool

I wonder if those baying for Suarez and Terry's blood will add Diane Abbott to that list?

In terms of the past - Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic came duing the January transfer window as did Henrik Larsson who (perhaps more relevantly) came as a injury filler.

All I'm saying is ................................... Beckham surprisingly turned down PSG. :cautious:

Could be worse Peter - Fat Frank seems to be the latest rumour according to tomorrow's papers.

I wonder if those baying for Suarez and Terry's blood will add Diane Abbott to that list?

dianeabbotttv4154.jpg

It gets better

'Peace talks'

Gordon Taylor broached this idea at the very beginning but LFC didn't want to know.

Since, they've released several ridiculous statements, refused to directly apologise, questioned the credibility of practically everyone bar themselves and generally done everything possible to inflame the situation.

Now LFC want to hold discussions with United or do they just want to be seen to want to ?

Fergies view:

"It is nice of them to do it through the press," said Ferguson. "You would have thought they would come to Manchester United first.

"I do not see why there is any need for it. But I have nothing to say about it."

I'm just bemused by the whole thing.

Last edited:
Why does man u see no need for it if they wanted it at the start? They are just being indignant now and it could be to their own detriment. If the man u fans start chanting racist comments at old trafford when suarez comes back then it will be man u who suffer with fines and what not.

5-1 to Liverpool tonight. Very nice and Carroll he's an important goal for his confidence.

From the BBC text commentary:

2157: Some news from tomorrow's newspapers to bring you here, as the Independent reckon that Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to let Wayne Rooney leave Manchester United due to a breakdown in their relationship. That would be massive.

Why does man u see no need for it if they wanted it at the start? They are just being indignant now and it could be to their own detriment. If the man u fans start chanting racist comments at old trafford when suarez comes back then it will be man u who suffer with fines and what not.

5-1 to Liverpool tonight. Very nice and Carroll he's an important goal for his confidence.

I've no idea Joe - that's why I'm bemused by the whole thing.

That said - I'm not sure United ever mentioned or suggested 'peace talks' (crap phrase) in the first place. I know the guy from the FA did but United have just towed the 'no comment' line.

I don't think it's a bad idea as there's a real bad storm brewing for that fixture but I suspect Fergie's comment about 'why Liverpool went to the press rather than just asking United to talk' was a wee dig at them trying to be seen to do the right thing.

The City v United game on Sunday could be another prickly one. Last I heard was City hadn't sold out (quite common) and tickets could well be getting into United hands for City areas because of City's petty decision to not allocate us the 15% allocation we should have had.

Liverpool - Bummer - I forgot there were games on tonight.

From the BBC text commentary:

2157: Some news from tomorrow's newspapers to bring you here, as the Independent reckon that Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to let Wayne Rooney leave Manchester United due to a breakdown in their relationship. That would be massive.

There's been a lot of talk over the last few weeks about Rooney & City.

Not helped when he said that he started the year as a Champion and wanted to end the year as Champion.

Nothing would surprise me and it's certainly the sort of transfer that would appeal to the bitter blue element at City.

Jordan Rhodes scored 5 for Huddersfield while Clive Allen and Joe Jordan were watching, so that could be the signal for 1 or 2 bids in the window.

Hold the front page!!!!

2216: Here's some of that statement issued by Manchester United and Wayne Rooney silencing talk of a transfer for the England man: "We have not seen the detail [of the story] but can assure all United fans that the manager and the club are committed to Wayne Rooney and Wayne is committed to the manager and the club. The player and the manager have always had, and retain, the utmost respect for each other and look forward to working together in the coming seasons."

What happened? The text commentary mentioned it but it doesn't say much in detail

2140: Oldham midfielder Tom Adeyemi takes a throw-in and then turns to confront a spectator in the front few rows at Anfield. He is seriously unhappy here with something that was said to him and looks close to tears. The game is stopped for a few minutes and Steven Gerrard has a word with Adeyemi. Play is back under way now but we may hear more about that one.

Link now above.

Hopefully it's not quite what's being reported.

Last edited:
Glad the police got them as it'll be important to see if they belong to any "political" groups are are just a pair of mindless eejits.

Who knows - to be fair it's the sort of thing that opposing fans might gate crash to do.

Last edited:
Who knows - to be fair it's the sort of thing that opposing fans might gate crash to do.

Sorry but that is the same excuse that Rangers fans used when they tore up Manchester, blaming people with cockney accents for the violence at the Uefa Cup Final, and that was rightly laughed at.

If (and it's a big one at the moment) this is true then Liverpool find themselves in a very bad position. How can they, as a club, ban the fan yet stand by and support their player for effectively the same thing.

Apparently not as clear cut on the arrest situation as suggested earlier:

The game was stopped for a period of time while Adeyemi alerted referee Neil Swarbrick to the incident.

However, Merseyside Police confirmed that no arrests has been made for "racially aggravated behaviour".

A Liverpool statement said: "An incident occurred in the second half of the match which is now being investigated by both the club and the police.

"We will continue to work closely with the police to establish the details of what actually happened and will make a further statement in due course."

Sorry but that is the same excuse that Rangers fans used when they tore up Manchester, blaming people with cockney accents for the violence at the Uefa Cup Final, and that was rightly laughed at.

If (and it's a big one at the moment) this is true then Liverpool find themselves in a very bad position. How can they, as a club, ban the fan yet stand by and support their player for effectively the same thing.

I agree Scott but I was trying to cut LFC some slack by suggesting it 'might' have been somebody at the game out to further tarnish them in light of the whole Suarez thing.

There's mixed reports at the moment as to what was said (Manc b.....d or B...k b......d) so I guess it's a case of wait and see. The fact that he's Norwich / Oldham confuses me though.

If it does turn out to be racial abuse from a fan then I agree - it will be interesting to see how LFC react. I suspect they wouldn't stick his face on a T-shirt but hypocrisy (if they do the right thing) will be levelled at them.

That's been my whole reasoning behind why LFC's behaviour (press releases and subsequent backing of Suarez) has been naive and irresponsible both prior to and since being found guilty.

Last edited:
So what's the news here? Fans at a football match shout racist abuse at a player?

And this is news? Every single match I've ever been to I've heard racist, nationalist, insert your ist here, comments. Football fans can be idiots. Its nothing new. Hopefully if it was true they'll get arrested. No different to what will happen at games all over the weekend.

LFC arent in a bad position at all, at least no worse than any other club who's fans abuse players and are caught, stop injesting what the media keep feeding you.
It's not effectively the same thing at all. As has been said many many times. Suarez called evra something that is not just accepted in Uruguay but is actually the most respectful term to use for someone who is black.

Last edited:
So what's the news here? Fans at a football match shout racist abuse at a player?

And this is news?

More newsworthy than a manager deciding that the final question at a press conference isn't worth answering pal.
Racism isn't a big deal to some people I suppose :shrug:

I would guess (based in when I have seen Cambridge play welsh teams) that a lot of fans on here including me have shouted "racist" abuse like sheep shagger when the likes of Swansea or Cardiff play. I have also heard comments that to me are far worse than what suarez and terry are supposed to have said involving a players mum, wife, kids and aids and of being a p****. I have also heard the pikey term and references to caravans at greasy long haired players before. Strictly speaking racist, but again no one is bothered?

More newsworthy than a manager deciding that the final question at a press conference isn't worth answering pal.
Racism isn't a big deal to some people I suppose :shrug:

who are you referring to as it not being a big deal to?

The point is that this isnt news, it happens regularly, so why is this particular incident any more newsworthy than the other hundred incidents exactly the same that happened in other matches in the last few months that weren't reported on?

because the media are jumping on a story due to previous events, our job is to not get sucked into their spin, think for yourself, don't let a newspaper do it for you

It is 'news'
It is
Information about recent events or happenings, especially as reported by newspapers, periodicals, radio, or television

Where do we draw a line on reporting and dealing with incidents like this? Just because it happens all over the country doesn't mean it should be ignored.

I know all too well that the media blow things out of proportion and ignore other less fasionable incidents, but if the heavy coverage of this lead to more 'fans' taking action against those around them abusing players, it'd be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back