The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the hardest case ever to judge in football.

why?

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

seems like the easiest ever case. One mans word = no case. Case closed

joescrivens said:
seems like the easiest ever case. One mans word = no case. Case closed

Except they said:

"We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation."

So they actually have no idea what the reasoning is, nor the weight of the evidence presented, behind the FAs decision yet.

Unfortunately, Joe, Luis admitted to using a term he deemed non-derogatory.

dinners said:
Do you think ?

I'm amazed anybody at the club let that go to print. It just sounds like it's been written by some annoyed fan. Attacking the FA is odd esp if they are going to appeal and Evra could probably be visiting his solicitor as we speak. Suarez has done enough damage to LFC's reputation without the club mking it worse.

Here's some light banter....

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/A-breakdown-of-Liverpool-8217-s-statement-on-Lu?urn=sow-wp7629

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/12/20/2650429/luis-suarez-FA-ban-racism-liverpool-fc-statement

As for Terry - who knows what will happen now.

Luis has not damaged the clubs reputation at all because he has done nothing wrong.

I do feel the argument is a little Liverpool fans against the rest at the moment.

This link appears to have a much more balanced view.

http://www.anfieldasylum.com/2011/12/20/2650105/hammered#comments

At the end of the day, no body has accused Suarez of being racist, only of using racist remarks.

And as has been pointed out numerous times, it was an INDEPENDENT panel that judged the case.

There is no place in the workplace for racist remarks.

tiler65 said:
I do feel the argument is a little Liverpool fans against the rest at the moment.

This link appears to have a much more balanced view.

http://www.anfieldasylum.com/2011/12/20/2650105/hammered#comments

At the end of the day, no body has accused Suarez of being racist, only of using racist remarks.

And as has been pointed out numerous times, it was an INDEPENDENT panel that judged the case.

There is no place in the workplace for racist remarks.

Tom have a little look into the background of those independent panelists, mate.

What Luis said is the equivalent of 'calm down, mate' yet the FA have to be seen to be taking a tough stance because of media pressure and what happened with Blatter.

On top of this the guy who was charged in the Sheffield Derby a while back admitted to making real racist remarks and got three games.

The sentence is unjust.

No body knows what Suarez said...it is all hearsay at the moment.

Take your 'pool hat off for a moment Dean and think about it. If the Sheffield case is true then the FA cocked up badly on that one.

Define racist and real racist, is one a Spanish 3rd div team....lol

The might seem an odd question to ask, because i am sure its all over the papers but what terry do or say?

We don't know but there is speculation of calling Ferdinand a black c*** - there are other versions but again it is speculative because it appears to be down to lip reading experts.

John Terry will find out if he is going to be charged this afternoon.....more to follow...I should get a job with Reuters.

If john terry doesn't get at least the same punishment from the FA then I reckon our appeal will be successful.

You need to get rid of him then....surely Chelsea have let too many in for him to be a good FF player?

:nono:

he's the top scoring defender this season with 76 points above phil jones and micah richards

terry will be charged for his incident as a criminal offence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16284813

so, how does that work?

Suarez gets his punishment from the FA but nothing to do with the police because evra complained to the FA. A member of the public complains to the police and terry gets charged in court with a fine of £2500 being the maximum fine.

the world has gone mad

terry will be charged for his incident as a criminal offence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16284813

so, how does that work?

Suarez gets his punishment from the FA but nothing to do with the police because evra complained to the FA. A member of the public complains to the police and terry gets charged in court with a fine of £2500 being the maximum fine.

the world has gone mad

The world hasn't gone mad at all. The criminal offence is something that anyone could be charged with and is entirely separate from rules under Employment Law and any codes of conduct agreed by the FA with clubs and players. £2500 might be a substantial fine to me, but it'll only be a couple of hours wages to JohnTerry and is no deterrent at all. Effectively bringing the game into disrepute by his actions would open him up to bans and fines well beyond the ordinary criminal penalties and this is to deter him and others from doing the same thing.

Last edited:
The world hasn't gone mad at all. The criminal offence is something that anyone could be charged with and is entirely separate from rules under Employment Law and any codes of conduct agreed by the FA with clubs and players. £2500 might be a substantial fine to me, but it'll only be a couple of hours wages to JohnTerry and is no deterrent at all. Effectively bringing the game into disrepute by his actions would open him up to bans and fines well beyond the ordinary criminal penalties and this is to deter him and others from doing the same thing.

You misuderstood. Why isnt the Suarez incident a criminal offence? Just because a member of the public didn't complain about it?

You misuderstood. Why isnt the Suarez incident a criminal offence? Just because a member of the public didn't complain about it?

I think that's right. If Patrice Evra had complained to the police rather than the referee, they would have got involved in that case as well.

I think that's right. If Patrice Evra had complained to the police rather than the referee, they would have got involved in that case as well.

i dont understand that still though, the police know about it, why arent they involved?

If a murder happens and nobody complains but the police know, they don't ignore it.

what gives?

Dunno Joe but if it is true what they both said then it is wrong and both should be punished.....do you agree?

i dont understand that still though, the police know about it, why arent they involved?

If a murder happens and nobody complains but the police know, they don't ignore it.

what gives?

All sudden and unexplained deaths have to be investigated for signs of crime, so that's a special case.
If you pinch a girl's bum at the office party and she gives you a slap, that's it over and done with. If she makes an official complaint to the boss then you might get the sack or a warning, but if she reports you to the police you might end up on the sex offenders register as they have to investigate.

How is Steve Kean still in a job? He is utterly useless, but then so are the owners... sacking Big Sam who is a decent manager who had them in 3rd place. I am surprised the LMA and other managers are so vocal in support though - yes, support your comrades but anyone can see that he is way out of his depth, if he was a horse in the Grand National he would have been pulled up long before (or shot!).

Still, hope Blackburn go down anyway, for saving Sam.

I feel for Steve Kean. I suspect they expect little from the games coming up against Liverpool and United so I'm not sure how his situation will pan out.

Tottenham v Chelsea certainly looks like a big game for both teams now after Arsenal winning tonight.

Totally missed the boat with my FF team for the midweek games.

how does this whole appeal thing get allowed. Any sanction that the fa gives out the player has the right to appeal, but if they appeal and the sanction is not overturned they can be punished further by getting more added to their sanction.

How is that a fair right to appeal exactly?

how does this whole appeal thing get allowed. Any sanction that the fa gives out the player has the right to appeal, but if they appeal and the sanction is not overturned they can be punished further by getting more added to their sanction.

How is that a fair right to appeal exactly?

I suppose it's done to discourage hopeless appeals that are done for reasons like delaying a suspension so that a player is present for an important game. I'm not saying it's right though.

I still don't quite understand how LFC are 'supporting' Suarez over this whole thing.

If he's been found guilty (which he has) then to support him privately within the club is one thing but to support him publicly before they've even been given the details why he was found guilty is a very strange (not to mention irresponsible) stance to take.

The T shirt thing last night is just beyond me.

477669117.png

Last edited:
not usure why you find it so hard to understand phil. LFC believe that what happened was not a racist incident and so are backing their playing by demonstrating it.

not usure why you find it so hard to understand phil. LFC believe that what happened was not a racist incident and so are backing their playing by demonstrating it.

I think it's because he's already been found guilty so what Liverpool still 'believe' no longer really matters.

As Liverpool have not yet been provided with the information on which the guilty verdict was decided - all they are doing is blindly backing a person who has been found guilty.

It's really not making LFC look very good and unfortunately supporters are just going to follow suit.

Last edited:
It's pathetic. I mean, I bet a load of fans have given racist abuse to Swansea fans calling them sheep shaggers but nothing happens there??? For once I am supporting Liverpool (and worryingly Joe) on this.

I'm not supporting anybody one way or the other. Just amazed at LFC's behaviour and the message it conveys following the outcome.

I said earlier I'd hoped the whole case would be deemed 6 of one and half a dozen of the other and chucked.

Breaking an opponent's leg and keeping him out of the game for a year gets a three match ban. Call someone names and it's an eight match ban :shrug:

I thought the TShirt thing was childish ... but as much as I love the game, it doesn't surprise me with regards to footballers.
But I just noticed 'King' Kenny wearing it too!!!!!!!!

And people think Fergie walking out of a press conference after an ENGLISH journo questions the quality of ENGLISH clubs in the Champions League is embarrassing????

The world isn't going mad .... it's always been crazy!

I think it's because he's already been found guilty so what Liverpool still 'believe' no longer really matters.

As Liverpool have not yet been provided with the information on which the guilty verdict was decided - all they are doing is blindly backing a person who has been found guilty.

It's really not making LFC look very good and unfortunately supporters are just going to follow suit.

Of course it matters, it matter lot to show that the whole club are behind the player and are united. I bet it does a lot for team morale. It's an important message to the public against what LFC feel is injustice. It is making LFC look united and behind their player - there's nothing negative in it at all.

And people think Fergie walking out of a press conference after an ENGLISH journo questions the quality of ENGLISH clubs in the Champions League is embarrassing????

fergie storming out because he doesn't like a question from a journo about how his club was performing (adding that they weren't struggling, but then 2 weeks later they get kicked out of the CL, so the journo was right) is very embarassing.

LFC wear shirts to show public support and a united front for one of their players - not embarrassing. commendable

Liverpool United.....have I missed something Joe

I must admit there are some great gags about all of this, doing the rounds at the moment, just what is needed at this time of year.

If Suarez would have said, after the incident, 'I called Evra a so & so but did not realise it was ethically wrong in this country' I reckon he would not have been charged at all.

Of course it matters, it matter lot to show that the whole club are behind the player and are united. I bet it does a lot for team morale. It's an important message to the public against what LFC feel is injustice. It is making LFC look united and behind their player - there's nothing negative in it at all.

LFC wear shirts to show public support and a united front for one of their players - not embarrassing. commendable

Unfortunately Joe, LFC should have just kept quiet. What they've done couldn't be any further from Commendable. From what I can gather even some of the players were less than comfortable with the whole T-Shirt fiasco.

As far as the message they've put out to the public - Liverpool fans might be getting all loved up over it but the general feeling from the public is that LFC have dropped a right clanger and nothing they are doing is helping either the player's case or indeed the reputation of the club.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back