The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has Saurez not been arrested if there is clear evidence that he racially abused someone? (Just like the women on the train, due to the video she was arrested). Why has Saurez not?

Anyone answer it? Not trying to stir anything up but Lampard has a case to answer and apparently he said a no-no word ONCE! So surely Saurez is worse according to the FA? (Or what we can conclude is that the FA made an example?)

Why has Saurez not been arrested if there is clear evidence that he racially abused someone? (Just like the women on the train, due to the video she was arrested). Why has Saurez not?

Anyone answer it? Not trying to stir anything up but Lampard has a case to answer and apparently he said a no-no word ONCE! So surely Saurez is worse according to the FA? (Or what we can conclude is that the FA made an example?)

Firstly because in the Suarez case it's actually not a racist thing that happened. So the police wouldn't get involve as there is no case. It's just the fa is using it to set an example.

I think you mean terry.

Firstly because in the Suarez case it's actually not a racist thing that happened. So the police wouldn't get involve as there is no case. It's just the fa is using it to set an example.

I think you mean terry.

How is it not racist? Sorry but I don't see the difference in the situations?

Terry/Lampard....(refrains from putting something not nice).
Ooops my mistake!

How is it not racist? Sorry but I don't see the difference in the situations?

Terry/Lampard....(refrains from putting something not nice).
Ooops my mistake!

It's not racist because the term he used "negro" is the most respectful way to refer to a black person in his language. His mistake was not paying attention to the fact that in this country it is not the way to refer to black people. That's what he has apologised for.

Its a bit like my dad calling black people "coloured" when he grew up it was more appropriate than saying black. Times have changed but old habits die hard and when he says coloured he is not meaning to be offensive but many people would be offended.

You can't blame evra for being offended though.

Last edited:
It's not racist because the term he used "negro" is the most respectful way to refer to a black person in his language. His mistake was not paying attention to the fact that in this country it is not the way to refer to black people. That's what he has apologised for.

Its a bit like my dad calling black people "coloured" when he grew up it was more appropriate than saying black. Times have changed but old habits die hard and when he says coloured he is not meaning to be offensive but many people would be offended.

You can't blame evra for being offended though.

I fail to see a difference, and when did "coloured" become unacceptable?

Ah well I guess I will never understand how Terry will most likely come out of it with nothing against his name (even thou its a police matter atm) and how Saurez is thrown the book! :thinking:

LFC arent in a bad position at all, at least no worse than any other club who's fans abuse players and are caught, stop injesting what the media keep feeding you.
It's not effectively the same thing at all. As has been said many many times. Suarez called evra something that is not just accepted in Uruguay but is actually the most respectful term to use for someone who is black.

So let me get this straight.

Suarez used the word "Negro" but that's fine because he's a foreigner from another far of land and should be allowed to do so because back there it's ok...but if whitey uses it then all hell will break lose.....

....Nope not buying that for one minute.

From the FA report
In the goalmouth, Mr Evra and Mr Suarez spoke to each other in Spanish. Mr Evra asked Mr Suarez why he had kicked him, referring to the foul five minutes previously. Mr Suarez replied "Porque tu eres negro", meaning "Because you are black". Mr Evra then said to Mr Suarez “say it to me again, I’m going to punch you”. Mr Suarez replied "No hablo con los negros", meaning "I don't speak to blacks". Mr Evra continued by saying that he now thought he was going to punch Mr Suarez. Mr Suarez replied "Dale, negro, negro, negro", which meant "okay, blackie, blackie, blackie".

Taking the conversation in CONTEXT surely it's hard to argue that Suarez was using the term in a respectful manner, and that what is the key point here in that the word it's self on it's own is not a racist term, but put it in the context of the incident well it changes the meaning of it.

are you asking what year it started to become unacceptable or are you questioning whether it is unacceptable?

I fail to see the difference was for the Terry & Saurez incidents

The other was when it started to become unacceptable, I think I was right in hearing Alan Hansen got stick for using the term.

Its the term I am used to growing up.

So let me get this straight.

Suarez used the word "Negro" but that's fine because he's a foreigner from another far of land and should be allowed to do so because back there it's ok...but if whitey uses it then all hell will break lose.....

....Nope not buying that for one minute.

Like I said. The mistake he made was assuming it would be ok to say it here. He has apologised for making this mistake.

From the FA report

Taking the conversation in CONTEXT surely it's hard to argue that Suarez was using the term in a respectful manner, and that what is the key point here in that the word it's self on it's own is not a racist term, but put it in the context of the incident well it changes the meaning of it.

and the witnesses to this apparent conversation?

That's right, none. So this is basically just what evra says he said. Don't forget he was found guilty "probably"

Well I just put a fiver on man u winning tomorrow. I just think with their recent run they are going to be all out to prove something with no pressure, my prediction 1-0 to man u. Will get 17.50 back if I'm right on them winning.

You could have given me that fiver Joe instead of wasting it !

Ha ha, I honestly think you'll win.

City are a stronger team right now but they have much more inconsistencies over time, this is a cup match, the pressure is all on them, you aren't expected to win, and you have a lot of experience, I think this one will go your way.

I'm happy to be wrong though :)

Did you see Mancini's comments in the Independent?

But with City possibly reduced to one fit striker and only two holding midfielders for Sunday's tie, the manager insisted that his club would be under far greater pressure than United in the next four months and must spend to win the title. "Yeah, yeah. This is the problem," Mancini said when asked if he had been told he could not buy. "But if we don't have the players, it's tough for us. We are not United. The difference is this. United and Chelsea have won trophies for many years.

And apparently they'll have trouble filling the bench tomorrow as well! :wacky:

My heart bleeds for them Peter.

Anybody know whether the ticket allocation got sorted out ?

Away fans at every ground are allowed 15% of the capacity apart from Old Trafford where 11% is deemed fair due to larger capacity.

The Bitters only gave us 11% leaving many United fans snapping up un sold City tickets.

Like I said. The mistake he made was assuming it would be ok to say it here. He has apologised for making this mistake.

and the witnesses to this apparent conversation?

That's right, none. So this is basically just what evra says he said. Don't forget he was found guilty "probably"
Is it possible Mr Evra was telling the truth Joe? If so, would you then say the comments do have racial undertones.

Try playing devils advocate for once.

Is it possible Mr Evra was telling the truth Joe? If so, would you then say the comments do have racial undertones.

Try playing devils advocate for once.

yes, its entirely possible, and if it was true then I agree it is a racist comment.

Personally I find it hard to believe it's true for a number of reasons about Suarez now that I have read a little more about his background and also evra's. At first I thought he probably was going to be found guilty, like I said, it's not uncommon for south american people to be racist against black people. But I've changed my mind.

Me backing that he didn't say it is no different to someone else backing that he did, nobody knows the real truth apart from the two of them.

I know what you are saying Joe but you are adamant that he did not say it, most of us others are unsure, why are you so sure and the evidence (other cases) against Evra has been proved untrue by many sources and is just hearsay. Some of the reported incidents against Evra are strange because he was not even involved in them.

At the end of the day, whether he is from Mars or Tibet, those words are not acceptable in the UK.

I know what you are saying Joe but you are adamant that he did not say it, most of us others are unsure, why are you so sure and the evidence (other cases) against Evra has been proved untrue by many sources and is just hearsay. Some of the reported incidents against Evra are strange because he was not even involved in them.

I beg to differ. Most of the world is siding with the fact he did say it. Otherwise we wouldn't have all these "What are LFC doing, why aren't they apologising, why is suarez not admitting it" blah blah blah

I'm doing the exact same thing, but on the other side of the argument that's all. Except in my case it's more inline with the law, innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't been proven guilty, he's been found "probably" guilty. With only one witness - the accuser

At the end of the day, whether he is from Mars or Tibet, those words are not acceptable in the UK.

and that is what he has apologised for.

I am sorry Joe, I meant the more intelligent among us that were unsure not the hatred of one footie club to another. (just to clarify)

The whole thing is bad, especially for football but there are those who will say it is better out in the open.

Well, I think United might have more of an upper hand now.
WTF is Hart doing on the bench?
I think Mancini said Pantyliners will play in every FA game because of his recent good performance (So I just read)

City team to face Manchester United in The FA Cup:
Pantilimon, Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, A. Johnson, de Jong, Milner, Silva, Nasri, Aguero

Subs: Hart, Clichy, Zabaleta, Savic, Hargreaves, Razak, Suarez

Balotelli and Dzeko are both injured...Arse

Well, I think United might have more of an upper hand now.
WTF is Hart doing on the bench?

City team to face Manchester United in The FA Cup:
Pantilimon, Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, A. Johnson, de Jong, Milner, Silva, Nasri, Aguero

Subs: Hart, Clichy, Zabaleta, Savic, Hargreaves, Razak, Suarez

Balotelli and Dzeko are both injured...Arse

Is that a weak team then Marcel? You have a lot to learn about football.

I hope this game brings back some of the magic of the FA cup, I do miss the build up to exciting games and giant killings like Man U beating City now...lol.

Is the city united game not on sky tv at all? I am a rangers fan but watching them play Arbroath isn't a highlight I'd want to watch.

Derek

You should be able to get ITV London or something similar through Sky and that'll let you watch the game. I can get it on Freesat so you should be able to get it on Sky. (y)

Guys thanks for that. I forgot that when the world cup was on I set up itvHD for the other games. All sorted now so I can watch some quality. Take nothing away from Arbroath, I hope they get a draw :)

Thanks guys.

Well even more so now that I have seen the teams I'm sure man u are going to win this. No hart, no dzeko, no ballotelli. Scholes back.

I change my prediction I think 3-1 to united

1st goal for united of many and now city down to 10 men. They are going to regret not putting hart in goal.

Wrongly sent off by the way.

Looks like I'm going to win my bet as planned!

Another great finish. Can't really blame the goalie for either goals. Great game so far for utd.

Have to agree there. And as we have seen now he will start dishing out the yellow cards to utd for the slightest thing.

Yup, the ref has ruined a classic, I hope fergie has his cheque book ready. One more goal coming from united, I think Nani will cross and Rooney will put it in the net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back