The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news, Stuart Downing has been arrested on suspicion of assault (linky)...it's turning into a hard time to be a Liverpool fan!

Yep, that's what I'm reading. Not heard anything via any media sources though, just forums. I feel for warnock as he's done great for us but the truth is he just doesn't seem to be able to do it at this level. It's a shame as he has said that QPR would be his last club so it would have been nice for him to go out retiring rather than being sacked.

Had a feeling he mlight. :D

After Fernandes last tweet, things looked bad for Warnock. Looks like the Norwich and fake dons game did it for him.

We have been very poor of late, but I find it shame, after being the joke of football for years thanks to Briatore he brought some pride back, much as Holloway had done previously. I wish him well.

I'm more concerned as I've seen Faurlin, our one truly outstanding player, is now out for the season, and probably some of next. We are in real trouble without him - I'd take him over Barton or plenty of other Premiership midfielders.

The Chelsea draw should be interesting, I think they will be up for it!

What a day!

After Fernandes last tweet, things looked bad for Warnock. Looks like the Norwich and fake dons game did it for him.

We have been very poor of late, but I find it shame, after being the joke of football for years thanks to Briatore he brought some pride back, much as Holloway had done previously. I wish him well.

I'm more concerned as I've seen Faurlin, our one truly outstanding player, is now out for the season, and probably some of next. We are in real trouble without him - I'd take him over Barton or plenty of other Premiership midfielders.

The Chelsea draw should be interesting, I think they will be up for it!

What a day!

I've been agonising over e last few days about this. Been loads of discussion about it on the QPR Report board. At first I was very much in the keep warnock camp but I stepped back and looked at the bigger picture and realised that, tactically, he'd got it all wrong.

As a Championship manager, I don't think there is any better but I think he is lacking when it comes to the premiership. We'll be forever grateful for what he achieved last season but the club has been heading in one direction over the last 2 months. No man(ager) is bigger than the club and we have t move on and quickly if we're going to survive this season.

Nooooooooooooo!

:plus1:

From an old Citeh fan, when are local derby was against Macclesfield , we fed the goat and had Chris ( thou shalt not pass) Morrison.So not a new money fan.

The intent was there, it was silly and Vince deserved a red card for it. Silly tackle and the ref had no option.

From an old Citeh fan, when are local derby was against Macclesfield , we fed the goat and had Chris ( thou shalt not pass) Morrison.So not a new money fan.

The intent was there, it was silly and Vince deserved a red card for it. Silly tackle and the ref had no option.

Feed the goat.

That takes me back.

As does Macc town (y)

1) it's 88.2% according to Guinness

2) You still haven't told me how that Kompnay's tackle was not a red card...

simple,

he did a sliding tackle, sliding tackles are legal tackles, his legs were very low, he went straight for the ball only, he didn't even get the man, he took no part of nani's body, he didn't go in with his leg straight showing studs, he went at a slight angle scooped the ball with his right leg and when nani had moved over him his left leg came in to scissor to ball. It was in fact a superb tackle and he should be getting applause for it, not a red card.

simple,

he did a sliding tackle, sliding tackles are legal tackles, his legs were very low, he went straight for the ball only, he didn't even get the man, he took no part of nani's body, he didn't go in with his leg straight showing studs, he went at a slight angle scooped the ball with his right leg and when nani had moved over him his left leg came in to scissor to ball. It was in fact a superb tackle and he should be getting applause for it, not a red card.

if nani hadn't jumped out of the way he would have had a serious ankle injury.
if scholes had made that tackle he would have been crucified

simple,

Ok, completly ignoring the fact that he

a) Kompnay lunged into the challenge.
b) The tackle was 2 footed (ok, not together but still 2 footed) and went in a scissor motion which is classed as a dangeros tackle.
c) For dangerous play it does not mean he has to make contact with the player for it to be a foul.
d) I suggest you watch it again and tell me if the studs where showing...think you'll find they where.

Already watched it again and like most of the population, still think it wasn't red. Man city will appeal and then we'll see what the fa decide and the argument will end there either way.

I dont think it was a red card either but whatever the FA decide the damage has been done by a poor refs decision.

Last edited:
d) I suggest you watch it again and tell me if the studs where showing...think you'll find they where.
Already watched it again and like most of the population, still think it wasn't red.

:thinking: so were the studs showing Joe?

Anyway, as much as these incidents create great talking points for football fans, the rules 'ruined' the game (not in my opnion)
A player can get a yellow card for taking his shirt off, agree with it or not, but that's the rule.
A player throws himself 2 footed into a potential career wrecking challenge, but gets the ball and the opposing player skips out of it without harm ... you think he should get the same punishment?

The ref didn't see the replays and it definitely looked a lot worse from his angle, which was not repeated as much as the other views; anyone got a link from the refs angle, rather than the aerial or Pantyloons end of the pitch?

:thinking: so were the studs showing Joe?

Anyway, as much as these incidents create great talking points for football fans, the rules 'ruined' the game (not in my opnion)
A player can get a yellow card for taking his shirt off, agree with it or not, but that's the rule.
A player throws himself 2 footed into a potential career wrecking challenge, but gets the ball and the opposing player skips out of it without harm ... you think he should get the same punishment?

The ref didn't see the replays and it definitely looked a lot worse from his angle, which was not repeated as much as the other views; anyone got a link from the refs angle, rather than the aerial or Pantyloons end of the pitch?

No his studs weren't showing. At least not in the way you are talking about which is a foot at a right angle to the pitch with studs moving towards a player

his studs were never in danger of connecting with the player. His foot was pointed down and very low as he went in and like i said, it was a swipe that got the ball, it wasn't a leg thrust. If you watch carefully, you'll see that his right foot comes from the right hand side of nani.

It may have ruined that game, but they can still get the ban overruled and theres no reason kompany shouldn't be playing the next 4 games. From a liverpool point of view I hope he is banned, but I like kompany and I dont think he deserves the ban

If you watch carefully, you'll see that his right foot comes from the right hand side of nani.
The problem is, the ref only gets one look at it and the nearest angle I've seen to his viewpoint, it looks worse than it was.

The problem is, the ref only gets one look at it and the nearest angle I've seen to his viewpoint, it looks worse than it was.

yes agreed. Which is why the refs need video help. But the ban can still be overturned with the appeal

If you watch the replays you can clearly see the ref turning away from the challenge to follow the progress of the play, to me that clearly shows he didn't think much of the challenge its only when a certain united player got involved that ref is seen to change his mind.

Enough said really, the ref is there to uphold the law and well he shouldn't be that easily persuaded to someone else opinion of the incident. :nono:

And tonight's update is that Man City's appeal against Kompany's red card has been dismissed, so that's him out for 4 games. :rules:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16492841.stm

I watched the Kompany incident a few times.

Whilst I agree it was one of those that the ref could have gone either way with - there was no way the appeal was going to work as the FA can only really go by the 'letter of the law'.

Looking forward to the City v Liverpool game tonight although I don't care one way or the other who ends up winning over the two legs. No Kompany, Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure, Silva, Dzeko, Balotelli and perhaps Joe Hart too. Could be a good chance for Liverpool.

Well liverpool couldn't have made that any less of a spectacle. I started off firmly backing Liverpool but after that penalty went in they seemed content to make as little of a game of it as possible. Gerrard could have seen a yellow for one of his two fouls on Milner and Johnson, Adam slapped Balotelli across the head to try and provoke a reaction, Henderson threw the ball away after a free kick was awarded and didn't see yellow, and then obviously there was the Johnson challenge at the end which was a much uglier two footed lunge than Kompany saw red for. All very ugly on liverpool's part and the ref did nothing to pull them up on it. Shame really. Needless to say Liverpool have lost my support for the 2nd leg!

Steven Gerrard even admitted in his post-match interview that they had played ugly, so no attempt to deny it.

Well liverpool couldn't have made that any less of a spectacle. I started off firmly backing Liverpool but after that penalty went in they seemed content to make as little of a game of it as possible. Gerrard could have seen a yellow for one of his two fouls on Milner and Johnson, Adam slapped Balotelli across the head to try and provoke a reaction, Henderson threw the ball away after a free kick was awarded and didn't see yellow, and then obviously there was the Johnson challenge at the end which was a much uglier two footed lunge than Kompany saw red for. All very ugly on liverpool's part and the ref did nothing to pull them up on it. Shame really. Needless to say Liverpool have lost my support for the 2nd leg!

didn't see the match as was at the everton spurs game, but like phil said above - Who cares? we got the win (y)(y)(y)

long way to go yet at anfield but a clean sheet and a goal away is a great start!

everton were poo tonight and deserved to lose, the ref had a howler at the end with a missed pen though

I had the game on although I wasn't glued to it as such.

Liverpool started brightly and were the better side in the first half. City (as you would expect being at home) came back in the second half, created a few openings but I'd say on balance of play it was pretty even.

The penalty was correctly given, well taken by Gerrard and Liverpool (as Hansen said) then reverted to 9 at the back. Nothing wrong with that as it payed off and has set Liverpool up well for the second leg at home.

Adam's hand on Balotelli was a nothing incident really. Balotelli had already shown signs of acting like a plonker and Adam knew he could get a reaction without doing much wrong. City knew that and took him off before he got even more frustrated and got himself sent off.

The Johnson challenge could have been a red esp in light of the Kompany challenge but again it's the type of challenge that can go either way. By the 'letter of the law' (like Kompany's) it constituted red but not all refs (or us) see it that way.

On the whole - a typical 'away' first leg from Liverpool. Not pretty but good job done.

I am getting so fed up of watching MOTD and seeing totally inept referees who do not have a clue. The booking of Torres for diving was a joke. As was the non sending off of Pedesen, and a few other tackles. I actually thought Yak should have only got a yellow too.

What the FA should do is make refs explain decisions, I am sure people would be happy if one came out and said that he made a balls up and it was a mistake, instead of hiding behind the FA. Let managers criticise too, it's obvious when a ref has a stinker. Also, let's stop giving yellows for diving. Too many are missed and when they are given they are often fouls. Let the FA review each game, and if a player dives then a straight 5 game ban, if they do it again, a 10 game ban. Same with things like johnsons foul the other night. Regardless of if the ref sees it and does nothing, awards a free kick or a yellow, give a 3 game ban after the event. Let's see consistency.

Longer term, the FA should work with lower and non league footballers who will still have to work after they retire and develop them into refs, as I thing you need to have played to fully understand the game.

In Rugby League, they have the option to put an incident "on report" if they can't be sure at the time. This is later looked at by the powers that be (usually within 3 days) and appropriate action taken.

Maybe this could be adapted for football in some way?

Typical Wenger... moaning about refs decisions again and ignoring the fact that he should take much of the blame. Yes, the penalty should have actually been a free kick to us but these things happen, and you don't have the worst defensive performance in the Prem (yes, worse than Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton etc...) because of poor refs.

Yes, we have got 4 full backs out, but of those only Sagna is good enough for a top 4 club. Jenkinson is at the start of his career and although looks a good prospect has a way to go. Santos is good going forward but poor at the back and while Gibbs should be Englands 2nd choice LB he struggles to play more than a few games without getting injured! We just don't have defs (aside from Vermaelen) that are better than those at the likes of Newcastle, Villa or even Sunderland!

Man U see their 1st choice CB injured so they simply rely on a couple of very good reserves in Smalling/Jones/Evans. Yet Wenger thinks that bringing Henry back is all we need? Somehow Arsharvin STILL gets in ahead of Chamberlain, and Rosicky still makes it on the bench???

So I had some spare time this evening, and thanks to the joy of excel can now easily update the prediction scores weekly (I may need the odd kick to wake me up to do this). Feel free to check your line as there may be errors! (1 point for correctly guessing a top or bottom 6 place and a bonus point for getting the exact place correct).

Cambsno and Dinners currently joint top but only two points separate the leaders from the rest:

TPLeague2.JPG

My bottom 6 prediction is proving terrible and may cost me the title!

Last edited:
Typical Wenger... moaning about refs decisions again and ignoring the fact that he should take much of the blame. Yes, the penalty should have actually been a free kick to us but these things happen, and you don't have the worst defensive performance in the Prem (yes, worse than Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton etc...) because of poor refs.

Yes, we have got 4 full backs out, but of those only Sagna is good enough for a top 4 club. Jenkinson is at the start of his career and although looks a good prospect has a way to go. Santos is good going forward but poor at the back and while Gibbs should be Englands 2nd choice LB he struggles to play more than a few games without getting injured! We just don't have defs (aside from Vermaelen) that are better than those at the likes of Newcastle, Villa or even Sunderland!

Man U see their 1st choice CB injured so they simply rely on a couple of very good reserves in Smalling/Jones/Evans. Yet Wenger thinks that bringing Henry back is all we need? Somehow Arsharvin STILL gets in ahead of Chamberlain, and Rosicky still makes it on the bench???

I didn't understand it in the summer, I still don't understand now why you've not gone for Cahill \ Samba. I'm no Arsenal fan, but from the outside it looks like you've been close to challenging on several occasions but not just a few key areas not being filled, previously keeper position, now centre back. I just don't get it. I like Wenger, I'm fully behind most of his principles re salary etc, but it's just been bizarre. He's not stupid, but he sure is stubborn!

Has the football season finished? :shrug:

That'll depend what team you support! :LOL:

Just wondering why there's been a lack of input one particular member :thinking:
I hope he's okay :shake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back