The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spuff said:
Well, forget the stupid - he could be a Mensa candidate for all I know. But arrogant, yes, because he has only considered himself in all of this - not the wider impact of his decisions. His guilt or innocence at the moment is irrelevant but by not stepping down when he was charged he is directly responsible for the ongoing shenanigans. That is partly why individuals in other work environments (especially high profile ones) are suspended (or resign) when charged.

But you've hit the nail on the head when you talk about footballers being highly valuable assets to the clubs and that is why these things tend to get swept under the carpet. This time let's hope the (in)actions of one individual don't ruin it for the England team.

I think Barton hates him too doesn't he? He must be very bad :p

Ok, if terry is innocent why is it arrogant of him to continue? Stepping down could be seen as guilt, and senior people tend to only step down moments before they will be pushed. If he is declared innocent then should Ferdinand be charged and suspended too for bringing the game into disrepute?

Surely redknapp should have been banned from managing when his trial was announced. You can't have it both ways?

I would love to know what Ashley cole thinks of this. Knows terry well and an influential black player. Defoe, Glenn Johnson and Walcott too? If they don't have a problem with him as captain then why should we?

Ok, if terry is innocent why is it arrogant of him to continue? Stepping down could be seen as guilt, and senior people tend to only step down moments before they will be pushed. If he is declared innocent then should Ferdinand be charged and suspended too for bringing the game into disrepute?

Surely redknapp should have been banned from managing when his trial was announced. You can't have it both ways?

I would love to know what Ashley cole thinks of this. Knows terry well and an influential black player. Defoe, Glenn Johnson and Walcott too? If they don't have a problem with him as captain then why should we?

Why, what's Ferdinand done? :thinking:

He didn't look anywhere near drunk enough to be a United fan singing that song :thinking:

Anyway Feb 6th (RIP Busby Babes)

fabs said:
Why, what's Ferdinand done? :thinking:

If terry is found innocent then why did Ferdinand make this accusation? Why should Terry's career be punished if he is innocent? I just don't like the fact some people think terry should be punished when he has not been found guilty and is being perceived as stupid and arrogant because he had not stood down. Will the same people call Ferdinand stupid and arrogant if he is actually lying instead?

A lot if the public and the media have already decided terry is guilty which is a shame.

If terry is found innocent then why did Ferdinand make this accusation? Why should Terry's career be punished if he is innocent? I just don't like the fact some people think terry should be punished when he has not been found guilty and is being perceived as stupid and arrogant because he had not stood down. Will the same people call Ferdinand stupid and arrogant if he is actually lying instead?

A lot if the public and the media have already decided terry is guilty which is a shame.

Ferdinand didn't make the accusation.

Should be an interesting game tonight (Liverpool v Spurs)

It's one of those that I'm neutral for based on current league standings.

Liverpool still unbeaten at home although they've only won 4 home games but they do seem to be able to raise their game for the bigger matches.

Spurs could be without Defoe, Adebayor, Van der Vaart, Lenon, Huddlestone & Gallas so I'm going for a Liverpool win but I'm hoping for a draw.

That said I'd like Bale and Modric to do well as they're in my FF team.

Defeat for Liverpool could be good news for Sunderland who (with 7 wins from their last 10 games) are hot on Liverpool's heels.

Hate Spurs. Horrible little plastic club, with one song (which they seem to be only able to sing very slowly).

ALL ABOARD THE BALE BANDWAGON!

Just because he may be found innocent of the charges against him, does not mean he didn't say it. I thought the case is dependent on if what he said constitutes racial abuse not that he did or didn't say it. But I am open to observations if this is not the case.

Just because he may be found innocent of the charges against him, does not mean he didn't say it. I thought the case is dependent on if what he said constitutes racial abuse not that he did or didn't say it. But I am open to observations if this is not the case.

It is about what he said.

He claimed to be saying "no I didn't call you a black c***" in response to Ferdinand asking him if he did.

Kind of a bold claim, Ferdinand will know whether he asked him this or not. Leads me to believe he is telling the truth. If he wanted to lie, he would just say he was calling him a blind c***.

I didn't think Ferdinand has ever accused Terry of anything? In fact, in a Terry interview, he says that he "thought" Ferdinand had asked him if he had racially abused him but he was mistaken - and that Ferdinand never said anything along those lines - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/23/john-terry-racist-remarks-anton-ferdinand

And then Rio got booed against Chelsea yesterday for what the only reason I could see was because he is Anton's brother??

Regardless of Terry's guilt or innocence, I haven't seen anything that shows Ferdinand of either instigating or escalating this?

I didn't think Ferdinand has ever accused Terry of anything? In fact, in a Terry interview, he says that he "thought" Ferdinand had asked him if he had racially abused him but he was mistaken - and that Ferdinand never said anything along those lines - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/23/john-terry-racist-remarks-anton-ferdinand

And then Rio got booed against Chelsea yesterday for what the only reason I could see was because he is Anton's brother??

Regardless of Terry's guilt or innocence, I haven't seen anything that shows Ferdinand of either instigating or escalating this?

Well, as no-one else on the pitch claims to have heard anything, the 'complaint' must have come from him? If he is unsure about what Terry said he could come out and end this.

I guess he must feel he was abused and Terry says he didn't. Terrys explanation seems plausible but like any conflict between 2 people will we ever know the truth? One persons word against another?

Maybe Terry did call him that, maybe he didn't, maybe his explanation is true, maybe Anton caught Terry shagging his bird, maybe its a ploy for Rio to make the England team or get one over on Terry for losing the captaincy?

Well, as no-one else on the pitch claims to have heard anything, the 'complaint' must have come from him?

it was a member of the public who made the complaint not Ferdinand.

Ferdinand hasn't said anything publically, so it's not clear what he said or heard himself. He is keeping his cards close to his chest.

cambsno said:
Well, as no-one else on the pitch claims to have heard anything, the 'complaint' must have come from him? If he is unsure about what Terry said he could come out and end this.

Hasn't the 'complaint' actually come after the video was seen of Terry saying something and not from Anton complaining? There are even reports that Ashely Cole went into Ferdinand's changing room after the game saying something along the lines of Terry obviously didn't mean what he I'd and Anton is supposed to have been lost as to what Terry said?

That is one of the strange things, Anton has never seemed to have actually spoken out about this? Can only assume that as the police are involved he has been told not to by club/lawyer/CPS/someone else?

Don't forget, just because Anton never heard it happen, don't mean it didn't... No idea personally, just think that it should have been resolved a long time ago and the whole process in dragging it out doesn't help the situation or the involved! But what do I know, I am not a footballer or a lawyer :)

Last edited:
Boring game. Suarez kicking Scott's Parker in the midlife was a little amusing. As was the cat.

It was a bit dull Joe but the draw is ideal. :D

I almost switched off when the horrible little man came on but I stuck it out to the end. Should have been red carded and how funny would that have been. The instant apology made me think it was an accident but watching it again he knew fine well what he was doing. I'd need to see the Skrtel challenge again too.

On Dalglish post match to Andy Burton ? "delighted to have him back, he should never have been banned in the first place" If he really said that (like in real life) then I just give up on the guy. He's loosing the plot again.

I thought Dawson handled Carroll well and and Parker was good. Carroll worked hard and you can't fault him for effort. His situation reminds me a bit of Forlan who eventually went on to prove everybody wrong. Could have done with more from Bale and Modric for my FF team though

As for the booing at the end - was that for the ref ?

Last edited:
Just seen the Suarez incident from last night. No doubt it's a red. He looks at him, nudges him and then kicks him deliberately in the stomach with no attention paid to the ball. He'll never change.

As for the result, I suppose it's best for Arsenal. We're not going to catch the top 3 now so it's just about getting that 4th spot which means Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle need as many losses and draws as possible!

Last edited:
you guys are funny.

You think suarez would deleberately just kick someone in the stomach after coming off an 8 gane ban. No.

Watch his line of sight he's waiting for the ball to drop and anticipating that it will drop right at the point where he raises his leg, however scotty gets his head on it and it doesn't drop, if scotty hadn't headed it his foot would have been perfectly aimed to hit the ball.

Was a dull game, but suarez brought a breath of fresh air to the team and had the best chances of the game. It's good to have him back and I hope that he smashes a hat trick past united this weekend, it would make the stadium go silent.

By the way, was hugely dissapointed in bale last night when he did that blatant dive on agger, didn't think he was that sort of player

Last edited:
Just seen the Suarez incident from last night. No doubt it's a red. He looks at him, nudges him and then kicks him deliberately in the stomach with no attention paid to the ball. He'll never change.

As for the result, I suppose it's best for Arsenal. We're not going to catch the top 3 now so it's just about getting that 4th spot which means Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle need as many losses and draws as possible!

To me it was a clumsy yellow. Went to volley and got it wrong!

To me it was a clumsy yellow. Went to volley and got it wrong!

yup. exactly.

you got to love scott parker though, Him and dawson were superb last night, I think england are building up a great defense with hart, parker, dawson kyle walker all top of the list for me

Last edited:
yup. exactly.

you got to love scott parker though, Him and dawson were superb last night, I think england are building up a great defense with hart, parker, dawson kyle walker all top of the list for me

Don't forget Richards and Cahill. Out with the old, in with the new for England I think!

Don't forget Richards and Cahill. Out with the old, in with the new for England I think!

cahill i like, and smalling and phil jones. Not sure about richards and johnson, I think they are great offensively but not defensively so much

cahill i like, and smalling and phil jones. Not sure about richards and johnson, I think they are great offensively but not defensively so much

I think Richards is great, Johnson has never impressed me much. Smalling and Jones are fine too. Sturridge and Welbeck are great attacking options and we're hardly short of wingers and midfielders either. There really is no reason for us not to have a fantastic team if we can just get the staff to bring them together and playing well together.

Didn't see the game last night but I have just seen the Suarez incident on Sky news.

Joe is right, he does look at the ball but Joe forgot to say, then he takes his eye off the ball before the ball returns to the video frame and then pretends to volley the ball even though any top pro will always keep his eye on the ball.

Silly foul, he knew Parker would head it, not sure about a red but another ref or another player making a meal out of it, could easily have resulted in a red card.

Didn't see the game last night but I have just seen the Suarez incident on Sky news.

Joe is right, he does look at the ball but Joe forgot to say, then he takes his eye off the ball before the ball returns to the video frame and then pretends to volley the ball even though any top pro will always keep his eye on the ball.

Silly foul, he knew Parker would head it, not sure about a red but another ref or another player making a meal out of it, could easily have resulted in a red card.

i didn't forget to mention anything. I disagree with your interpretation of it is all.

Got to say that the referee in the Anfield game missed a trick. Why on earth did he not show that cat a straight red card, he (the ref) would have gone down in history:D:D, and the kop would have loved him.

you guys are funny.

You think suarez would deleberately just kick someone in the stomach after coming off an 8 gane ban. No.

I think people factor in his previous exploits on the field and it's clear that the guy is a ticking time bomb verging on mentally unstable. He has a proven track record of cheating - diving, becoming a goal keeper and conning refs. He's also a sly dirty player who we have seen, kick people on the floor, pull people's hair to wind them up, spit at people, bite people on the pitch, eye gauge people, make obscene gestures and racially abuse people. All in all a horrible little man.

It's good to have him back and I hope that he smashes a hat trick past united this weekend, it would make the stadium go silent.

Despite detesting him, he is a very talented player and nothing would surprise me. Like many grounds these days OT can be a bit quiet for some games but it won't be on Saturday. I hope it all goes off without any 'trouble' but it's fair to say that Suarez will get abuse on epic proportions regardless of how he performs not least because people will feel justified in doing so. I'd go as far to say that if he scores it will be worse.

I think people factor in his previous exploits on the field and it's clear that the guy is a ticking time bomb verging on mentally unstable. He has a proven track record of cheating - diving, becoming a goal keeper and conning refs. He's also a sly dirty player who we have seen, kick people on the floor, pull people's hair to wind them up, spit at people, bite people on the pitch, eye gauge people, make obscene gestures and racially abuse people. All in all a horrible little man.

didn't realise we were talking about rooney :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back