The Football Thread - Season 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was turning into a farce before he left anyway...Terrygate, Rooney out for first few matches, the WAG's were not that keen on Poland.

Capello may well be a great club manager but he was left short dearly in the last World Cup. He did very little to earn his £6m a year.

Untitled-130.jpg

Oh, please. Not Arry.

This post requires a degree of intellect and some political nous.

I'd like to see Guus in the post - and not just as a stop-gap until Arry becomes available.

Why not Sven back for 6 months?

Is available
Knows the squad
After the last WC a QF would be taken.

As a temp measure almost ideal.

Harry can do it at the same time as spurs till spurs season is over.

I'd be happy with hiddink as well though.

Surely the time is right to bring Mike Basset into the fold.

thats the 8th time I have read that joke this morning

i thought, judging by your regular anti United quips, that you liked predicatable base humour :thinking:

If you look at how O'Neil has done, taking over a poor sunderland side and taking them top of the league based over (i think) the last 10 games he has to be the stop gap choice.

Yes, not english but as close as, and he is wonderful at pulling a team together and turning things around immediately.

If you look at how O'Neil has done, taking over a poor sunderland side and taking them top of the league based over (i think) the last 10 games he has to be the stop gap choice.

Yes, not english but as close as, and he is wonderful at pulling a team together and turning things around immediately.

it's irrelevant. He's ruled himself out.

Not given him an education for a start.

Actually I got a great education from oxford when I was there in december for my brewery tour and pub crawl. I learnt that the hook norton brewery makes some delicious beers I never knew about

it's irrelevant. He's ruled himself out.

Hadnt notice. Something bugs me about Redknapp - sure Spurs are having a good year this season but is he the right man? Trouble is, who else is there?

Pearce - think he could be the next manager after this one. However, experienced in U21 tournaments, knows many of the players, hopefully wouldnt be afraid to play more young players like Germany did?
Pardew - Great season at Newcastle, but not int class imo
Big Sam - I like him, he wont get it, but I would love to see it
Warnock - No great Prem record but like Sam, I have a soft spot!
Wenger/Fergie/Mourinho - Unlikely and Fergie would never do it, but they would be good choices for us
Becks - Why not? Klinsmann did ok for Germany with no experience? Was a great captain and would command respect (but then look at Keegan)

Part of me would love Becks to do it. Nothing to lose, Spain-Germany-Holland will win anyway, love the guy and who knows, could be a great decision! Practically though, I think Pearce.

warnock and big sam!!!

they have to be bottom of the list, both of them are only capable of bringing run of the mill teams through tough seasons - thats all they will ever do. I can't stand either of them.

I'd choose pearce for the future, and becks later in his career - he has no proven management at all, that would be a huge risk.

I'd accept mourinho - how on earth are you putting wenger in that list when all season you have claimed him to be incompetant?

I like harry for the job though - i think he's got the whole package right now more than any of the others. Or Gus Hiddink - I think he'd do a great job.

warnock and big sam!!!

they have to be bottom of the list, both of them are only capable of bringing run of the mill teams through tough seasons - thats all they will ever do. I can't stand either of them.

I'd choose pearce for the future, and becks later in his career - he has no proven management at all, that would be a huge risk.

I'd accept mourinho - how on earth are you putting wenger in that list when all season you have claimed him to be incompetant?

I like harry for the job though - i think he's got the whole package right now more than any of the others. Or Gus Hiddink - I think he'd do a great job.

Klinsmann had no experience so that should count against Becks.

Wenger is a good manager, but in recent years has lost the plot in terms of buying players. Not an issue for England! He does play good football and gets teams performing, but the annoying thing is had we spent, we could be pushing the top two.

Just because someone else for another country succeeded doesn't make it not a risk for becks. It's totally non related.

Thats like saying that because someone survived a skydive without a parachute it isn't a risk to jump out of a plane without one

I just hope the FA dont ask Arry to apply for the job in writing, ask him to confirm by text when they offer it to him or give him a computer to make life easier.

just seen the fa press conference live

stuart pearce taking over right now as predicted agianst Holland.

No word on the next manager yet

Aside from a total punt on someone like Becks I am happy with Pearce. Knows the setup and team, did well at Euros U21.

Slap me for thinking this... but what happens if Pearce goes onto win the damn thing (or finish runners up after a great tournament)? Maybe we should see how we get on!

Pearce - Orginally the plan was for the U21 boss to work under the Senior Manager and then be able to step-up - not sure if the succession plan is still there but it was at some point.
Pardew - Has indeed done really well this season, I have to eat my hat I thought he would fail - but you would not appoint him manager on the back of this.
Big Sam - I hope not!
Warnock - At least post match would interesting...
Wenger/Fergie/Mourinho - Mourinho already said Portugal only, but he wants club management for now, can't see the other two doing it.
Becks - Why not? Klinsmann did ok for Germany with no experience? Was a great captain and would command respect (but then look at Keegan)

Hogdson could be a candidate, may be more suited to the International Game. I'd vote Hiddink if he'd take it.

Top 3 for me have to be Redknapp, Pardew and O'Neill. The latter two have completely ruled themselves out in favour of club and Redknapp has suggested the same but has also said previously he couldn't turn down the job if it was offered to him. They're the only UK managers I'd consider but outside of the UK the best choices have to be Hiddink and Mourinho but I just don't think our players would respond to a foreign manager the same way they would an English or even Scottish manager.

A huge weekend at the foot of the Premier League - bottom 6 all playing each other - everyone could be within a few points of each other come Saturday night.

Blackburn v QPR
Wolves v West Brom
Bolton v Wigan

Is that what they call an 18 pointer? :D

A huge weekend at the foot of the Premier League - bottom 6 all playing each other - everyone could be within a few points of each other come Saturday night.

Blackburn v QPR
Wolves v West Brom
Bolton v Wigan

Is that what they call an 18 pointer? :D

My guess :

Blackburn v QPR 2-2
Wolves v West Brom 2-1
Bolton v Wigan 2-0

Strange thing is that capello has quit over terry allegedly making racist abuse. Yet footballers, and many fans are insisting on an English manager! Racist?

Strange thing is that capello has quit over terry allegedly making racist abuse. Yet footballers, and many fans are insisting on an English manager! Racist?

no he quit because he wasn't consulted about the decision to strip terry of the captaincy before terry was proven guilty.

asking for an english manager for the england team is not racist, you have a very strange definition of what racism is if that's what you think.

Not saying it is or isn't racist, but I am sure if I said I wanted an English employee that would generally be illegal. People are happy to see terry punished over this yet on the next breath says it must be an English manager? Ironic seeing as the story behind all this is racist?

Not saying it is or isn't racist, but I am sure if I said I wanted an English employee that would generally be illegal. People are happy to see terry punished over this yet on the next breath says it must be an English manager? Ironic seeing as the story behind all this is racist?

no i don't think it is ironic as i don't think the two are related in any way

1. John Terry allegelledy calls someone a "black c***"

2. Someone says they would prefer the next england manager to be english.

Not even in the same ball game if you ask me.

But you are basing a decision on someone's race?

when did a persons nationality become a race?

People aren't saying they want harry because he's white. They want him because he is the same nationality. He could be black or white or anything else for all I care.

Last edited:

It's certainly not racist but it does raise an interesting point in terms of equality. The FA's rules on the subject state:

The FA, in all its activities, will not discriminate, or in any way treat anyone less favourably, on
grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital status, race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion
or belief, ability or disability.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Rulesand...12/Equality-2011-12.ashx/Equality-2011-12.pdf

Now I'm sure they won't announce that they are only looking for an English manager but it does make you wonder if this is yet another area where football gets away with different "interpretations" of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back