The great TP election thread

Looks like a repeat in some ways of 1992 - last minute fear of Labour/Milliband.

Looks like Mr Wallace Miliband may be joining Mr Clegg in writing those resignation letters...

So they would "bring the country to it is knees", would they? The possessive of 'it' does not require an apostrophe.
It's / it is - by way of omission or abbreviation.
It's - Possessive.
My use of the word it's was possessive. The it referred to the country possessing the knees. So I am indeed correct in the use of the apostrophe.
Its would have implied a plural of which there was none other than knees.

Do you count lobbying as a normal job? :)

Not sure what counts as normal, but its definitely a lucrative one.

Big industry both domestic and foreign pay ludicrous amounts of money to lobbyist groups.

It's / it is - by way of omission or abbreviation.
It's - Possessive.
My use of the word it's was possessive. The it referred to the country possessing the knees. So I am indeed correct in the use of the apostrophe.
Its would have implied a plural of which there was none other than knees.
Totally wrong. Try again.

Last edited:
However more people here want the snp candidate so that's that.

I think the results in Scotland are a clear indication that we should have proportional representation. Nearly the whole of Scotland is now SNP yet they don't get to be part of the government. That's a whole country's views ignored.

Steve.

Ed Balls just lost his seat. That fills me with joy.

Balls out it seems, lost by 420 votes

What a shame...

I think the results in Scotland are a clear indication that we should have proportional representation. Nearly the whole of Scotland is now SNP yet they don't get to be part of the government. That's a whole country's views ignored.
In every general election, the winning party usually gets about 10-15 million votes, so you could argue that 75% of the population's views are ignored. That's just how it is. It's not normally used to justify a call for PR.

Also, I'm not so sure the SNP would be in favour of PR, because that would give them only 29 seats or thereabouts. Remember, over half of Scotland voted for other parties, and their views count too. Some of them even actually voted Conservative, so at least they'll get the government they wanted.

Last edited:
At least UKIP got a kicking in Rochester & Strood :banana:

Steve.

But if they were part, that would be the whole of England ignored! They would only do things to benefit Scotland and nothing for the rest of the Union.

We had a vote on pr, and the electorate said no, so you can't get more democratic than that (something I guess the lib dems insisted on).

Am confused at how well snp have done seeing as independence was ejected just last year.

A big thanks to to all the SNP voters Scotland for letting the Tories in ! The NHS will be on the market today when they drill it off to their mates !

A big thanks to to all the SNP voters Scotland for letting the Tories in ! The NHS will be on the market today when they drill it off to their mates !

Not sure how you worked that out - even if they had taken all the scottish seats looks like Tories would still have a majority. Perhaps Milliband, Bennet, Clegg and co should look at their own ineptitude.

Steve.

Here's a snippet from the BBC. Bear in mind Scotland's population is only 8% of the uk population.

Election results: Conservatives on course for majority
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32633099

The Conservatives are expected to have won a 37% share of the national vote, Labour 31%, UKIP 13%, the Lib Dems 8%, the SNP 5%, the Green Party 4% and Plaid Cymru 1%.

Imagine UKIP and Tory represented one set of views and the others represented the rest. It's 50:50 right to left.

UKIP has more of the uk national vote than the snp. In a PR system they'd have more of a voice than the snp.

UKIPs taken a lot of votes everywhere but not many in a few key areas so are underrepresented. The snp by geography are limited in that respect.

Last edited:
Given that in the event of forming a coalition SNP stated they would support Labour, as it stands even if the whole of Scotland voted Labour, they still wouldn't have enough seats to form a majority government

Yawn, we have had Tory governments for 23 of the last 35 years but still have an NHS. Maybe Labour would have done better by doing less scaremongering. Do you really think the Tories would bin the NHS? If they did they would struggle to get 20% in the next election. Even if they wanted to, they would not as that would be suicide.

Reactions: ST4
At least it looks like we're going to have a majority government rather than another coalition. Hopefully will be able to concentrate on improving things, rather than wasting time on the behind the scenes bartering that has gone on for the last 5 years

The biggest threat to the NHS is the scandalous waste of money of PFI :- invented by the Tories but adopted with great enthusiasm by Labour. They're as bad as each other.

At least it looks like we're going to have a majority government rather than another coalition. Hopefully will be able to concentrate on improving things, rather than wasting time on the behind the scenes bartering that has gone on for the last 5 years
They will find it harder to govern with such a small majority. They cant throw a few crumbs to the libdems to pacify them now, no libdem will support the tories and they will need support from other parties to pass all their legislation. I would be suprised if this government last the full five years and we will have to go through it all again, god help us!

They will find it harder to govern with such a small majority. They cant throw a few crumbs to the libdems to pacify them now, no libdem will support the tories and they will need support from other parties to pass all their legislation. I would be suprised if this government last the full five years and we will have to go through it all again, god help us!

Depends on the bills they seek to pass. Renewing trident, no bother. Getting an EU in out referendum, somewhat harder but not impossible.

They'll probably have a majority of 5 or 6 - enough to survive the odd defection to UKIP, but not a backbench rebellion. But I imagine Cameron can do a deal with the DUP if he feels any particular bill is at risk.

Reactions: ST4
Depends on the bills they seek to pass. Renewing trident, no bother. Getting an EU in out referendum, somewhat harder but not impossible.

They'll probably have a majority of 5 or 6 - enough to survive the odd defection to UKIP, but not a backbench rebellion. But I imagine Cameron can do a deal with the DUP if he feels any particular bill is at risk.

Well further reform of the NHS would be difficult to get through if not impossible. There's talk of increasing the bedroom tax, they would struggle with that, reducing Child benefit, increasing VAT, further severe cuts to welfare, all tory flagship policies and would be very difficult for them to impliment with such a slim majority, even with the support of UKIP & DUP

Remember Majors 21 seat majority in 92? That parliament was beset with problems for him. By the time 1997 came they were actually in a minority.

Back