The great TP election thread

@Steep Not bad Hugh (y)

Though I'm running with this one ;)

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-7_19-11-18.jpeg
    upload_2015-5-7_19-11-18.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 17
Because they would be the one party that got the most seats. A voter may want only the one party in control and then find their party has to share the leadership with a party they would never vote for. That is misrepresentation of the population and what I would say is fraudulent use of someone's vote.
And how does this minority government get any bills passed?
You've had all day to think about it - surely you must have an answer by now?

You don't vote for a party or a government - you vote for an MP. How they organise a government from that is up to them.
What's more, your MP can resign the whip, have it removed or change parties without going back to the polls. Their mandate is personal, not party political.
If a party wins the most seats, but can't pass a bill they're useless as a government.

Last edited:
Done the deed. VERY busy at the polling station. That's good.

And how does this minority government get any bills passed?
You've had all day to think about it - surely you must have an answer by now?
I haven't had all day as I haven't been on here since my post this morning, so haven't read any responses.
Bit as you are so impatient. There is nothing to assume that everyone else will vote against any bills.

There is nothing to assume that everyone else will vote against any bills.
Except, perhaps, them saying that that's what they'll do.
For example - if tomorrow morning the Conservatives have the largest minority, (and not enough partners to form a majority), yet Labour and the SNP have a workable majority and declare that they will vote against a Conservative budget - wouldn't it be ridiculous for the Tories to form a government, get the Queen to open it and read her Speech, to then lose the vote?

Except, perhaps, them saying that that's what they'll do.
For example - if tomorrow morning the Conservatives have the largest minority, (and not enough partners to form a majority), yet Labour and the SNP have a workable majority and declare that they will vote against a Conservative budget - wouldn't it be ridiculous for the Tories to form a government, get the Queen to open it and read her Speech, to then lose the vote?

That's two words that should go together but when it comes to government leadership couldn't be further apart.

A vote should be a private ballot, just because Ed and what's her face have said they will vote against them, it doesn't mean their minions should or will, they may actually agree.

Back from polling...no waiting...straight in and out...but talking to a researcher outside she says research is showing an exit poll of a strong conservative vote...but then again I live in a conservative safe seat but UKIP is in second place then an independent.....think I will sit up and watch the results come in.....

Isn't it illegal to reveal exit polls until the polls have closed?

Maybe it's just a media convention.

Edit; just checked, and yes it's a criminal offense.

Last edited:
Isn't it illegal to reveal exit polls until the polls have closed?

Maybe it's just a media convention.

Not sure....she asked me if I wished to declare how I voted,I said no, but did ask her how things were looking. She give me the info no problem....then we discussed cameras as I seen her "I love Nikon"badge......lol

Not sure....she asked me if I wished to declare how I voted,I said no, but did ask her how things were looking. She give me the info no problem....then we discussed cameras as I seen her "I love Nikon"badge......lol
Well, she just broke the law. Sounds more like a Canon user ;)

Shouldn't matter, the population only gets one vote each for an individual party. A winner should be allowed to be a winner and the losers remain losers.
But we don't elect 'a government' on that basis, we each elect an MP. and if the party with most MPs can't pass any laws because everyone else disagrees with their policies, they can't be 'in government'.

OTOH if 51% of the seats are shared between 10 broadly similar parties, they were elected by lots of people with broadly similar views, they can form a government. Even if the largest of those 10 parties only has a fifth the number of MPs the largest party has.

It's how our parliament works, always has, and will until we get a modern electoral system.

Voted just now. No surprises for who, but I noticed it was a fair bit busier here too.

I am glad; I wish to see, no matter what the outcome, the end of the days when Big Brother attracted more votes than our government and people engage with the future of the country they live in.

Voted just now. No surprises for who, but I noticed it was a fair bit busier here too.
I trust, in keeping with your political leanings, you blamed the busyness on immigrants?

But we don't elect 'a government' on that basis, we each elect an MP. and if the party with most MPs can't pass any laws because everyone else disagrees with their policies, they can't be 'in government'.

OTOH if 51% of the seats are shared between 10 broadly similar parties, they were elected by lots of people with broadly similar views, they can form a government. Even if the largest of those 10 parties only has a fifth the number of MPs the largest party has.

It's how our parliament works, always has, and will until we get a modern electoral system.

Yes, you are right. You could argue if Plaid, SNP, Green and labour got enough votes and seats to form a majority government they would get things done. Not the sort of things I would like to see done, but they are, to me, very similar in outlook, just differing in the extremes of leftiness. Lets say they held 51% of the seats, at parliament their whips would have a fun job making sure they all voted the same way, and they all toed the party line.

Its better when one party gets a decisive victory, but that is not what will happen IMHO.

I think those days are over.

Steve.

So do I. There is so much more "choice" out there and fringe parties are no longer fringes but play a part.

I would stay up and watch the election but got work tomorrow and need to be fresh and alert. No doubt I will find out thanks to social media etc but I doubt anything decisive will happen tonight. Still, I must not complain, I've made my vote.

If you've voted, you're allowed to complain. It's half the fun :)

If its supposed to be a close run thing between the Reds and the Blues,
assuming they get +/- 40% of the votes each,
They could could easily form a coalition that would have a massive majority .
Rather than either trying to entice the 10 / 20 odd % of the "runner up" party,

I don't know why they haven't thought of it, TBH, problem solved (y)

:D

So do I. There is so much more "choice" out there and fringe parties are no longer fringes but play a part.

I think social media has a lot to do with that. People are now much better informed than they used to be and I think we are seeing a lot less of people voting for the party they always vote for or the one their parents voted for. People are actually aware of the choices now and can find out about them much more easily.

Steve.

Yes, you are right. You could argue if Plaid, SNP, Green and labour got enough votes and seats to form a majority government they would bring the country to it's knees.
Fixed that for you. ;)

Anyone can complain even if they haven't voted.
Yes, but it's like going into a restaurant, refusing to see the menu and then complaining that your meal doesn't come with chips (*) : no-one cares what you think.

(*) Paxman

Yes, but it's like going into a restaurant, refusing to see the menu and then complaining that your meal doesn't come with chips (*) : no-one cares what you think.

(*) Paxman
Vote or not, they still couldn't give a flying .............. what you think.

Back