Nikon D750 & D780

@JJ! consider selling the 50 and getting an 85? If sticking to primes you can't go wrong with 35/85 combo.

Last edited:
Different, but great! Looks like some alian invasion is coming!

Yeah, I've seen this kind of transitional thing done before and I'm a little on the fence with it purely because it's a bit fake. I think it works ok - I'll live with it. Probably get a marmite response. A better foreground would have been better but I couldn't stay up all night!

Last edited:
I'm going to try some night shots next weekend up over beachy head. Is a remote essential or use timer? Could also use the app which works ok!

Is there a remote avaliable that you can change the exposure with?

A remote is a little easier, that's all (avoided the handy pun there!) You still have to change the exposure on the camera.

Here's another from the back garden...

I think that's fab, although I wouldn't of lit the house like that, just leave it dark - gives the impression that all the moon jiggery poker is going on above our sleeping heads (without having the light on the house I mean).

I think the comp works well though!

I think that's fab, although I wouldn't of lit the house like that, just leave it dark - gives the impression that all the moon jiggery poker is going on above our sleeping heads (without having the light on the house I mean).

I think the comp works well though!

Thanks Tom. You could be right, I do have unlit house options if I can be bothered. Just a bit of fun really.

Okay, I am a new D750 owner and had decided to read the thread for general wisdom. I am now up to page 42 :clap: and already have GAS in me.

At present I only have the 50mm f1.8G, and was looking for a general all purpose lens. My main genre is people photography and would classify myself as an enthusiastic hobbiest (mainly my kids, and the odd family wedding pics) and definately nothing professional.

I like the idea of having a prime lens for the home portraits and would like to add another all purpose lens to the collection. Basically any recommendations?

Okay, I am a new D750 owner and had decided to read the thread for general wisdom. I am now up to page 42 :clap: and already have GAS in me.

At present I only have the 50mm f1.8G, and was looking for a general all purpose lens. My main genre is people photography and would classify myself as an enthusiastic hobbiest (mainly my kids, and the odd family wedding pics) and definately nothing professional.

I like the idea of having a prime lens for the home portraits and would like to add another all purpose lens to the collection. Basically any recommendations?
As a general lens I'd opt for the 24-70mm f2.8 as it renders really nicely and still allows for decent subject isolation with it being f2.8. There are a number of people who recommend the 24-120mm f4 though. An 85mm f1.8G is a very nice portrait lens, assuming you've got the space to shoot at 85mm.

Why not complete the 1.8 trio and get the 35mm and 85mm?

Sod this...I need more shiny.... cheapest place for an 85mmf1.8g?

It seems is not much cheaper grey?

Sod this...I need more shiny.... cheapest place for an 85mmf1.8g?

It seems is not much cheaper grey?

You've got it bad mate! Is that D610 cash still burning a hole in your pocket?

If you're on quidco, go to Bespoke Offers through there and put a 'beat my price' offer in using the Amazon link. You should get an offer a few quid cheaper than Amazon and then there's 18% cashback through if you click through quidco before purchasing the offer.

Bit convoluted, but after cashback the net price should be below £277.

Seems mixed reviews on digitalrev's level of service!

Seems mixed reviews on digitalrev's level of service!

They are fine ime, even with returns. But I've also read of a couple issues. Guess that's part of the risk involved with importing.

Last edited:
So whilst waiting for Panamoz to reopen after their holiday so I can order my D750, I've come across a D810 for £1150. It's mint, 6 months old, UK model with 2500 clicks. Is that worth it? I was particularly drawn to the D750 because of its focusing and low light performance. Will the D810 match it?

So whilst waiting for Panamoz to reopen after their holiday so I can order my D750, I've come across a D810 for £1150. It's mint, 6 months old, UK model with 2500 clicks. Is that worth it? I was particularly drawn to the D750 because of its focusing and low light performance. Will the D810 match it?

That sounds like a great deal!

They are fine ime, even with returns. But I've also read of a couple issues. Guess that's part of the risk involved with importing.

If I am being honest I wouldn't use them again. It's an guilty until proven innocent with digitalrev and they don't deem an item faulty until the manufacturer says it is.

We all know lenses behave differently with different bodies etc so what's to say they don't come back to you with a "we didn't find a fault" never mind the restocking fee and ridiculous cost of postage

I wouldn't entertain them again

Not to mention it takes 5 times longer with a reply to a service issue compared to a sale. Panamoz service makes them look terrible

Sounds an excellent deal. All depends if you want the extra MP but with extra bulk and weight?

The D750 has the edge in terms of AF and low light ISO performance.

With the 85 1.8g and some other lenses and bodies, wasn't there an earlier deal this year (Spring ?) where with the Nikon cashback scheme the lenses were working out cheaper than Grey prices? @twist didn't you buy a 85 on the last deal.?

Do Nikon do an Autumn deal? so it maybe worth waiting until Thursday to see if any UK deals become available?

With the 85 1.8g and some other lenses and bodies, wasn't there an earlier deal this year (Spring ?) where with the Nikon cashback scheme the lenses were working out cheaper than Grey prices? @twist didn't you buy a 85 on the last deal.?

Do Nikon do an Autumn deal? so it maybe worth waiting until Thursday to see if any UK deals become available?

Yes mate, Nikon UK cashback is usually very generous. I think they did something crazy like £225 off a 70-200 VR2 and the 24-70 deal was also very good. @snerkler bought the 70-200 and got it for an excellent price.

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply (am now on page 56) thank you for the advise.
With further reading seems like most use/go for the prime combi's. Now (gas) would the Siggy 35mm (walkabout) and the Nikon 85mm f1. 8g do for time being?

With further reading seems like most use/go for the prime combi's. Now (gas) would the Siggy 35mm (walkabout) and the Nikon 85mm f1. 8g do for time being?

Would they do?! They are fantastic lenses and pretty hard to beat. DO IT.

That would be a really good combo, yes :)

Only question is whether you also want something a bit wider for landscapes etc.?

This would be a great set-up. You will probably find the 50 not being used that often. I sold mine after getting 35/85 to compliment my 24-70.

I will hopefully by the end of the year upgrade my 35 F2 to the 35 Sigma.

Back