OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

This little beauty arrived in the post this morning. Seems to be in pretty much as new condition. :) It's the first 35mm film camera that I've bought, and the intention is just to have something small with a good quality lens that I can carry around with me. Can't wait to try it out!

35mm Sonnar, I expect that will be lovely and I am sure in your hands Osh we are in for some treats from that little Contax!

This little beauty arrived in the post this morning. Seems to be in pretty much as new condition. :) It's the first 35mm film camera that I've bought, and the intention is just to have something small with a good quality lens that I can carry around with me. Can't wait to try it out!

That looks lovely!

This does seem like a familiar cry Brian, film cameras aren't getting any cheaper and it would seem that your desire for a cheap F100/OM2n will remain a dream while you keep refusing to pay the going price. I know real bargains do sometimes come up at car boot sales and in charity shops but while you dither in a sea of stubbornness the prices are going up when if you'd just bitten the bullet 18 months ago you could have built a wonderful lifelong relationship with a cherished F100.

....but I have at least twenty 35mm SLRs, loads of P&Ss, loads of lenses and don't really need another camera (or lens) :eek:...and a extra F100\OM2n ain't going to make me a better photographer (well getting the kids in focus would help with the F100 ;) )......but I know what you mean i.e. get one or two excellent cameras and the best lenses for your choice and really that's all you need....well if you can avoid CRAB (can't resist a bargain).

........well if you can avoid CRAB (can't resist a bargain).

Hehe, I know that feeling. Wandered past the local camera shop yesterday and they had a nice looking Oly mju-ii in the window for £20. I had to prise myself away from going in and buying, simply because it's a good price. Bear in mind, I too have all the 35mm cameras I need, including a mju-ii.....

Hehe, I know that feeling. Wandered past the local camera shop yesterday and they had a nice looking Oly mju-ii in the window for £20. I had to prise myself away from going in and buying, simply because it's a good price. Bear in mind, I too have all the 35mm cameras I need, including a mju-ii.....

Well you would have definitely bought the Yashica T5 that I bought for £1.80 a few years ago and I knew at the time I was never going to use it ;)

35mm Sonnar, I expect that will be lovely and I am sure in your hands Osh we are in for some treats from that little Contax!

I hope so! It's very strange operating a camera that does everything for you once again, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'd been thinking of getting a small 35mm camera to take around with me for some time, and was thinking maybe a Leica. I decided though that I could have one of these for less than the price of an equivalent Zeiss M-mount lens, and it would be a good way to see how I get on with the format...

That looks lovely!

Thanks - I just hope the photos I take with it are in better focus than the one I took of it!!

Reactions: Jao
Here is my latest camera
biggrin.gif

An Olympus Om2 with 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5, 35-105 mm f3.5-5.6 and Sigma 35-200 mm f4-50-5.6. With Olympus strap and Cobra flash. I also got a bag for it all in on the price. The 35-105 was bought separately from ebay but the rest was bought from a member on here.

OM2 kit 1
by alf.branch, on Flickr

OM2 kit 2
by alf.branch, on Flickr

First film dropped of for processing today.

Here it is in use by me for the first time.

OM2 in use
by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Jao
^^ That I like!!

I've been trawling the charity shops.. never luck out here! Which is lucky, seeing as I'm supposed to be selling cameras, not buying them!

^^ That I like!!

I've been trawling the charity shops.. never luck out here! Which is lucky, seeing as I'm supposed to be selling cameras, not buying them!

For anywhere it's all about being at the right place at the right time......charity shops can be handy for lovely cotton shirts for £1 and jackets :cool: but the only photography gear I've bought is an Epson inkjet ink (ridiculous prices in shops) for £1. There is one charity shop near where I live and did ask about gear and he said "there are boxes of stuff in the back, have a sort through"..well after about 1/2 hour there was nothing I was interested in but am sure some of the members here would have found something...so it might be worth asking if there is any stuff stored away that you can look at.

Here is my latest camera
biggrin.gif

An Olympus Om2 with 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5, 35-105 mm f3.5-5.6 and Sigma 35-200 mm f4-50-5.6. With Olympus strap and Cobra flash. I also got a bag for it all in on the price. The 35-105 was bought separately from ebay but the rest was bought from a member on here.

OM2 kit 1
by alf.branch, on Flickr

OM2 kit 2
by alf.branch, on Flickr

OM2 in use
by alf.branch, on Flickr

Great kit and love the location and set-up for your first use of it!

Had an interesting night on ebay & have picked up a Nikon F301 & a Nikkor 85mm F2 AIS lens.

Had an interesting night on ebay & have picked up a Nikon F301 & a Nikkor 85mm F2 AIS lens.

The Nikon F301 is a nice camera, I have the same N2000 but without your lovely 85mm lens (y)

Here is my latest camera
biggrin.gif

OM2 kit 1
by alf.branch, on Flickr

OM2 kit 2
by alf.branch, on Flickr

OM2 in use
by alf.branch, on Flickr
That looks a very good haul!

Me too am looking for a OM2n to replace my crappy OM20, now they seem to be selling well on the bay at prices I don't want to pay...and am sorry I didn't buy the one at the boot sale, complete with leather case for £18.....and why didn't I buy it? cos I didn't carry some spare batteries to check it out as the mirror was locked up (common if the battery is flat) :(
@excalibur2 , I have an OM2n you can have... it seems to work, the meter works, but not sure how correct it is, it comes with a 28-80mm(something) lens....
The reason is that as I 'forgot' to push the button thing in before I rewound the film, the film snapped, and it is something I wouldn't remember to do each time...

@excalibur2 , I have an OM2n you can have... it seems to work, the meter works, but not sure how correct it is, it comes with a 28-80mm(something) lens....
The reason is that as I 'forgot' to push the button thing in before I rewound the film, the film snapped, and it is something I wouldn't remember to do each time...

Oh dear........
Thank you I'm interested, please email and if you want to swap with something to play with.....I have a nice Minolta X-700 with 35-70mm in return. Of course to please the mods we will be loaning the cameras to each other for a few years ;)

Oh dear........
Thank you I'm interested, please email and if you want to swap with something to play with.....I have a nice Minolta X-700 with 35-70mm in return. Of course to please the mods we will be loaning the cameras to each other for a few years ;)
No need for a swap, as I'm happy with my F4... but yes, you can have it on long loan :)(I don't like it personally)...

Managed to win a Nikkor Q 135mm F2.8 off of ebay for the opening bid. Looks to be an early one as it is labelled Nippon Kogaku.

Nothing particularly amazing but so many people go on about these I had to give it a go. Light seals aren't in great condition, running a roll of Poundland Agfa film through it to get an idea of what it's like (and see if I can get to grips with the focusing).
View attachment 7094

That looks really nice, I have an earlier model with a Tessar lens, a great and very capable little camera"

Thanks, I paid quite a bit for it but it's in excellent condition, new battery fitted and came with the lens cap and case which is in almost new condition. I love the look of these and they feel great to handle. Heavy for their size but still ok for carrying around I think, which is the main reason for getting it. And the Trip. And the XA someone was kind enough to send me. I'm thinking about writing up a nice little comparison article after shooting a few rolls of film with them all - they're 3 of the most common compact 35mms that people use.

You should look out for a Minox 35, Simon...

Last edited:
You should look out for a Minox 35, Simon...

Actually I was looking at those. Also came across this site which has tempted me to get an Olympus RC, but I'm trying not to go on too much of a vintage camera binge. It's hard enough at the moment to decide which ones to pick up when I go out somewhere :)

Cameraquest is a great resource but as a website its a bit of a mess...windows popping up everywhere. Be careful on there if you find the Voigtlander rangefinder pages you will be on a very slippery slope....:runaway:

Right that's it, I've had enough....everybody in the World has a Voigtlander Bessa except me and I need one more than everybody else...it's not fair...:(

Seriously though Will that is a lovely looking thing and the 35mm f1.4 is a lovely lens, I am very jealous.

Andy

Right that's it, I've had enough....everybody in the World has a Voigtlander Bessa except me and I need one more than everybody else...it's not fair...:(

But, but... Andy, you HAD a Bessa and didn't like it enough to keep...:confused::)

Noooooooo.....:grumpy:. I can feel an urge, yes definitely an urge....I wonder how much I have in my camera fund...:whistle:

Nothing particularly amazing but so many people go on about these I had to give it a go. Light seals aren't in great condition, running a roll of Poundland Agfa film through it to get an idea of what it's like (and see if I can get to grips with the focusing).
View attachment 7094

Superb choice, focusing is so easy hard to go wrong !

DNH said:
Managed to win a Nikkor Q 135mm F2.8 off of ebay for the opening bid. Looks to be an early one as it is labelled Nippon Kogaku.

Might be a Sonnar?

Turns out it is the F3.5 version & was not described correctly. Still happy though as the lens seems cosmetically, mechanically & optically perfect. It has come with the original keeper, period lens cap & lens hood. Only paid £19.99 for it so still think it was a bargain. The serial number dates it to the mid 1960's as far as I can tell.

DNH said:

Turns out it is the F3.5 version & was not described correctly. Still happy though as the lens seems cosmetically, mechanically & optically perfect. It has come with the original keeper, period lens cap & lens hood. Only paid £19.99 for it so still think it was a bargain. The serial number dates it to the mid 1960's as far as I can tell.

Congrats it's a sharp lens from what I've read.....for a while I wanted the the 105mm f2.5 AIS but gave up getting one at a cheap price and not worth the extra cost when I already have a ebc Fujinon 100mm f2.8 which is quite good.

Congrats it's a sharp lens from what I've read.....for a while I wanted the the 105mm f2.5 AIS but gave up getting one at a cheap price and not worth the extra cost when I already have a ebc Fujinon 100mm f2.8 which is quite good.

Been looking at pictures taken with it online tonight & it looks a cracking lens. Just have to watch the flare is the only bad thing I have read. I bought it as a period lens to go with my Nikon F, liking the focal length & already have F2.8 examples in AI & AIS. Picked them up at the right time when nobody wanted them for under £40 each. Also have an AIS 105mm F2.5. Did debate how much I would use it before getting it due to having the 135mm already but all the good things I read about it led me to get it. Lovely lens.

Well after a dry period in terms of shooting because of work commitments I found my GAS really started to play up. Although when I reflected on this I did begin to feel that I did not have enough cameras or other kit! Well that is my excuse :D

So after a quick look around a local chain camera shop I found this in a £5.00 Bargain bin! I asked if it worked and none of the assistants knew! They said it has parts missing. I knew exactly which part was missing, the Sekonic High Slide. I took a punt and gave them £4.00. It works perfectly, is mint and I have a new High Slide ($12) en route. For an analogue meter it is remarkably good at the low light end. Very pleased with it and it is now replacing my Sekonic 308B
13007260713_f73516029f_z.jpg

Sadly (or happily!) my GAS remained unabated and I picked up this very nice Nikkormat FT2 in Charity Shop. It was in a very sorry cosmetic condition, indeed it was 'piggin' and it was hard to tell if it was black or chrome! Big thanks for the cleaning suggestions in another F&C thread. The Autosol did the trick although I need to clean some off the leather still. Stupidly I didn't take a before and after. Anyway it works perfectly, the seals are like new, the viewfinder is surprisingly bright for a mid 70's machine and the meter still works and is accurate. Also Nikon where visionary in that this camera used a single SR44 silver oxide battery and not the more ubiquitous at the time, but more problematic now, PX625. I am delighted with it and you can never have enough Nikons! It came with a nice 50mm f2 Nikkor with a ding in the filter thread, I will soon repair that when I have a little more time.

13007111465_d2b6eb3099_z.jpg

And the transgressions continued! My Rollei affliction is well documented and I have always fancied a Rollei 35mm SLR. I put a silly bid on this one on a certain auction site and won! It is in superb condition, the meter works (with a PX625!!!) and the viewfinder is massive and lovely. The seals are good but I am going to replace the mirror damping foam which looks a little dry. I have no Rollei 35mm glass at present so will be testing it with my range of Tamrons and a recently acquired Rollei 35 mount. The only possible issue with this classic 70's SLR is the manual is pretty uncompromising that to achieve the best results with this camera you do need to be wearing platforms and flares!
13007270723_7f727ba71b_z.jpg

Oh and finally, after some short deliberation,

I

Just

had

to

buy

this,

my bad!

A mint 1957 Rolleiflex 3.5E with a Planar, working meter and original ERC

13007525264_a98beb1dac_z.jpg

Well I have a fridge full of 120 film!

Last edited:
Well after a dry period in terms of shooting because of work commitments I found my GAS really started to play up. Although when I reflected on this I did begin to feel that I did not have enough cameras or other kit! Well that is my excuse :D

So after a quick look around a local chain camera shop I found this in a £5.00 Bargain bin! I asked if it worked and none of the assistants knew! They said it has parts missing. I knew exactly which part was missing, the Sekonic High Slide. I took a punt and gave them £4.00. It works perfectly, is mint and I have a new High Slide ($12) en route. For an analogue meter it is remarkably good at the low light end. Very pleased with it and it is now replacing my Sekonic 308B

Sadly (or happily!) my GAS remained unabated and I picked up this very nice Nikkormat FT2 in Charity Shop. It was in a very sorry cosmetic condition, indeed it was 'piggin' and it was hard to tell if it was black or chrome! Big thanks for the cleaning suggestion in another F&C thread. The Autosol did the trick although I need to clean some off the leather still. Stupidly I didn't take a before and after. Anyway it works perfectly, the seals are like new, the viewfinder is surprisingly bright for a mid 70's machine and the meter still works and is accurate. Also Nikon where visionary in that this camera used a single SR44 silver oxide battery and not the more ubiquitous at the time, but more problematic now, PX625. I am delighted with it and you can never have enough Nikon's! It came with a nice 50mm f2 Nikkor with a ding in the filter thread, I will soon repair that when I have a little more time.

And the transgressions continued! My Rollei affliction is well documented and I have always fancied a Rollei 35mm SLR. I put a silly bid on this one on a certain auction site and won! It is in superb condition, the meter works (with a PX625!!!) and the viewfinder is massive and lovely. The seals are good but I am going to replace the mirror damping foam which looks a little dry. I have no Rollei 35mm glass at present so will be testing it with my range of Tamrons and a recently acquired Rollie 35 mount. The only possible issue with this classic 70's SLR is the manual is pretty uncompromising that to achieve the best results with this camera you do need to be wearing platforms and flares!

I

Just

had

to

buy

this,

my bad!

A mint 1957 Rolleiflex 3,5E with a Planar, working meter and original ERC

Jeez, all very nice new additions, but that Rolleiflex 3,5E Planar is positively stunning!

Sadly (or happily!) my GAS remained unabated and I picked up this very nice Nikkormat FT2 in Charity Shop. It was in a very sorry cosmetic condition, indeed it was 'piggin' and it was hard to tell if it was black or chrome! Big thanks for the cleaning suggestions in another F&C thread. The Autosol did the trick although I need to clean some off the leather still. Stupidly I didn't take a before and after. Anyway it works perfectly, the seals are like new, the viewfinder is surprisingly bright for a mid 70's machine and the meter still works and is accurate. Also Nikon where visionary in that this camera used a single SR44 silver oxide battery and not the more ubiquitous at the time, but more problematic now, PX625. I am delighted with it and you can never have enough Nikons! It came with a nice 50mm f2 Nikkor with a ding in the filter thread, I will soon repair that when I have a little more time.

And the transgressions continued! My Rollei affliction is well documented and I have always fancied a Rollei 35mm SLR. I put a silly bid on this one on a certain auction site and won! It is in superb condition, the meter works (with a PX625!!!) and the viewfinder is massive and lovely. The seals are good but I am going to replace the mirror damping foam which looks a little dry. I have no Rollei 35mm glass at present so will be testing it with my range of Tamrons and a recently acquired Rollei 35 mount. The only possible issue with this classic 70's SLR is the manual is pretty uncompromising that to achieve the best results with this camera you do need to be wearing platforms and flares!

I

Just

had

to

buy

this,

my bad!

A mint 1957 Rolleiflex 3.5E with a Planar, working meter and original ERC

Wow, that's quite a haul. You must have had a bad case of GAS :)

It all looks good stuff but as RJ says that Rolleiflex is lovely.

Back