Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

.... I have owned a pair of E-M1X since November 2019 when I switched from Canon to Olympus. I have sold one of them and bought an OM-1 + Battery Grip in early March this year and not used my remaining E-M1X since and so am going to sell it.

Everything you read about it is true - It's a great camera. Some photographers prefer smaller camera bodies but I shoot mostly on telephoto lenses and anyway I much prefer the physical balance which it offers. Also, the integrated battery grip makes portrait orientation shots very much easier and of course the value of the extra battery onboard should not be underestimated on thirsty mirrorless cameras.

I haven't advertised it yet (I'm lazy about selling things!) but would do so in TP Classifieds. I suggest you PM me if interested so I can inform you when advertised, in which case I could offer you first refusal depending on your offer.

Cheers I still need to read up on them but the YouTube videos seem to state they are a good bit of kit. I'm finding that I don't use my S5 much and tend to pick up my G9 so I'm thinking perhaps of switching Lumix system to Canon FF, or just sticking with M43 as I'm not a pro anyway.

I haven't held one and appreciate they may be a bit bigger, but they are going for £800-£900 on WEX used and I've seen a few on there over the last week with 1,000 to 2,000 shutter count around grade 9/9+.

I'm also aware that there is a £300 cashback incentive on currently which could land you a new one for £1,100 odd.

I don't know much about the AF system but I'm after something that is much better at taking pictures of my dog running around (the S5 really struggles in my opinion but the G9 with the faster FPS does better).

Last edited:
I'm thinking perhaps of switching Lumix system to Canon FF, or just sticking with M43 as I'm not a pro anyway.
This to me doesn't matter, full frame is not reserved for professionals only and it is down to the user what they want/prefer. FF certainly offers advantages, but is usually a bigger heavier system.

This to me doesn't matter, full frame is not reserved for professionals only and it is down to the user what they want/prefer. FF certainly offers advantages, but is usually a bigger heavier system.
.... :agree: and I couldn't agree more! All the different systems have their pros and cons.

.... :agree: and I couldn't agree more! All the different systems have their pros and cons.
I agree. I love my G9 and find it's the one I pick up the most. I've purchased a GX9 to take on holiday (Disney) with the family next year.

I know Panasonic aren't best for pictures of pets running and wildlife in general, hence I was thinking about one of these as I can use the lenses I have (not many). The Olympus cameras seem to score highly with wildlife type of photography and probably a little better for my little dog running around?

I agree. I love my G9 and find it's the one I pick up the most. I've purchased a GX9 to take on holiday (Disney) with the family next year.

I know Panasonic aren't best for pictures of pets running and wildlife in general, hence I was thinking about one of these as I can use the lenses I have (not many). The Olympus cameras seem to score highly with wildlife type of photography and probably a little better for my little dog running around?
.... You'll probably find the OM-1 better than the M1X for tracking animals as its AF system combined with Subject Detection is more latest-state-of-the-art. It's mostly a case of getting higher hit rates when shooting bursts < At least, this has been so with me.

The weatherproofing of the Olympus / OM System PRO is second to none. Goodness knows why the other camera brands lag far behind with this practical aspect.

I had my first proper try of the subject tracking on the OM1 last night in fading light.

Mentally it was a big step forward (pun intended) as I'm still on crutches and was alone. Chauffeur (cook, Man Friday, poor down trodden husband...) Mr. Bebop, was at the end of the phone. I wasn't really sure how I'd get on just standing holding the camera for any length of time, but I'm so happy it was fine! :D

Kestrel is ISO 5000 and hare ISO 2000. Both have been run through DxO Photolab 5 Prime noise reduction. Taken on the OM1 with 300mm f/4 lens and 1.4 extender. I do think the noise is not so bad on the OM1... if anyone is looking for an excuse to upgrade :LOL:

Exif is showing one hour later than taken, so I need to investigate where that has gone awry. UTC+1 to blame somewhere I suspect! Must check my camera settings.

20220723-O7230198_1bilinear.jpg

20220723-O7230152_1bilinear.jpg

very nice bebop ,even count the toes on the prey

Last edited:
Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) female. OM-1 + 150-400mm TC PRO + MC-20 on Fotopro gimbal on Gitzo Traveller tripod - Focus Stacked onboard camera.

First time I have done a tripod focus stack rather than handheld.

MIGRANT HAWKER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Looks like a southern hawker to me but excellent shot Jeff.
.... You are absolutely right! I should know better as I admin a dragonfly group with over 8,000 members!

Gorgeous Robin.
.... Thanks Alby! It was a long distance shot too so I am pleased. She was perched high in some bamboo only about 50 yds from my front door warming up in the early morning ready to fly.

Last edited:
very nice bebop ,even count the toes on the prey
Thanks Jeff. I was pleased with it.

Two great dragonfly shots @the black fox @RedRobin.

Amazing quality with the 2x extender. It must be a challenge finding your subject with the field of view @RedRobin …. Ah but of course, you can zoom…. that helps, although still not easy…. #iwantthatlens :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff. I was pleased with it.

Two great dragonfly shots @the black fox @RedRobin.

Amazing quality with the 2x extender. It must be a challenge finding your subject with the field of view @RedRobin …. Ah but of course, you can zoom…. that helps, although still not easy…. #iwantthatlens :ROFLMAO:
.... Thanks Bebop!
I had popped out on my porch with a morning coffee and the sun had just appeared early in the morning when I spotted a butterfly. So not to spook it I had mounted my 2x MC-20 and ventured forth to try and photograph it (which I did successfully). While still handheld (tripod at home) I wandered across the road to where some wild bamboo and other bushes are to look for more butterflies before they got hyperactive in the sun. Then I spotted the dragonfly perched high in the bamboo and took some shots handheld, in fact successfully, but I knew that she was there warming up for her first flight of the day and that I probably had time to get my tripod because I fancied trying a focus stack. Handholding my rig aiming steeply upwards for a focus stack kept failing to combine due to my movement, so I knew a tripod would help and also just to maintain position on the target once located using the zoom and also temporarily disengaging the built-in 1.25x TC. I could have used my monopod but results from a tripod were always going to stand a better chance of stacking success.

Much as I loved and fully appreciated the superb quality of the Olympus 300mm F/4 PRO with or without a 2x or 1.4x, the lack of zoom always made finding a distant target much more difficult. As many other photographers have reported, the big white 150-400mm PRO zoom is as sharp as the 300mm PRO prime and even slightly autofocusses faster.

When I need it I think I have found the perfect gimbal head for both my Gitzo Traveller tripod and the big white lens. Motion being dampened like a fluid head really helps before locking down to fire the shutter. It is also compact and lightweight compared with most other gimbals and has a few extra tricks up its sleeve.

The component between the tripod and gimbal is a RRS levelling head. The dragonfly was much higher up the bamboo and so the camera view angle much steeper than in this snap :

Profoto E-6H_2581.JPG

Attachments

• Profoto E-6H_2581.JPG
    Profoto E-6H_2581.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
gatekeeper butterfly from yesterday , taken hand held dont really need to be lumbered with all that tripod and gimbal stuff while on walkabout
the keeper by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
.... Woohoo! I think you have just issued me a challenge Jeff! :ROFLMAO::p

I also photographed a Gatekeeper Butterfly handheld without tripod on my big white supertelephoto with 2x mounted and dare I say it is noticeably sharper than yours :exit:

Subjects like butterflies are particularly difficult to get all in focus and onboard Focus Stacking really does help. Using a monopod, or even better a tripod, provides a much more stable base which in turn offers far more success.

But we know each other well enough personally to respect that we have different approaches to our photography.

[Robin goes off to process a gatekeeper photo]

@RedRobin @the black fox you two :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@the black fox you definitely get great results.

@RedRobin thanks for all the info and the review. I will digest it later. It is really interesting to see how you go about things. I do love the 300 f/4 but I‘m sure I’d home in quicker with a zoom. #iwantthatlens #iwantthatgimbal :giggle: You are not helping my GAS at all :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

I recently handled my friend’s 100-400 and I was surprised how heavy it was.

I discovered the joy of using a tripod when I was trying to focus stack some fungi in a dark forest as the light faded. It is amazing what you can get that would otherwise be impossible. I don’t very often use one for bird photography though. Perhaps if I had a gimbal head, I might be more inclined, although the 300 is perfectly hand holdable.

.... Woohoo! I think you have just issued me a challenge Jeff! :ROFLMAO::p

I also photographed a Gatekeeper Butterfly handheld without tripod on my big white supertelephoto with 2x mounted and dare I say it is noticeably sharper than yours :exit:

Subjects like butterflies are particularly difficult to get all in focus and onboard Focus Stacking really does help. Using a monopod, or even better a tripod, provides a much more stable base which in turn offers far more success.

But we know each other well enough personally to respect that we have different approaches to our photography.

[Robin goes off to process a gatekeeper photo]
robin old boy , you know full well that I simply couldn't carry around the weight of a tripod and gimbal head ,neither of which I own any more .. my initial reason for changing to olympus was down to my heart and general activity level . and I'm quiet happy with my shots be they softer than yours or not is totally irrelevant .our approaches to the subject are also totally different .. as is our level of spending on GAS both photographically and in fuel for our vehicles.. so no it wasn't a challenge just a observation of fact .. my 2 grands worth of kit against your 10 grands worth ,is there really 8k difference in the shots ROFPMSL

robin old boy , you know full well that I simply couldn't carry around the weight of a tripod and gimbal head ,neither of which I own any more .. my initial reason for changing to olympus was down to my heart and general activity level . and I'm quiet happy with my shots be they softer than yours or not is totally irrelevant .our approaches to the subject are also totally different .. as is our level of spending on GAS both photographically and in fuel for our vehicles.. so no it wasn't a challenge just a observation of fact .. my 2 grands worth of kit against your 10 grands worth ,is there really 8k difference in the shots ROFPMSL
.... :agree: I was only joking about the challenge - A bit of banter.

But I can't put a price on the enjoyment I personally get from shooting with the camera gear I use regardless of it being expensive.

Yea I know that Robin

.... Thanks Bebop!
I had popped out on my porch with a morning coffee and the sun had just appeared early in the morning when I spotted a butterfly. So not to spook it I had mounted my 2x MC-20 and ventured forth to try and photograph it (which I did successfully). While still handheld (tripod at home) I wandered across the road to where some wild bamboo and other bushes are to look for more butterflies before they got hyperactive in the sun. Then I spotted the dragonfly perched high in the bamboo and took some shots handheld, in fact successfully, but I knew that she was there warming up for her first flight of the day and that I probably had time to get my tripod because I fancied trying a focus stack. Handholding my rig aiming steeply upwards for a focus stack kept failing to combine due to my movement, so I knew a tripod would help and also just to maintain position on the target once located using the zoom and also temporarily disengaging the built-in 1.25x TC. I could have used my monopod but results from a tripod were always going to stand a better chance of stacking success.

Much as I loved and fully appreciated the superb quality of the Olympus 300mm F/4 PRO with or without a 2x or 1.4x, the lack of zoom always made finding a distant target much more difficult. As many other photographers have reported, the big white 150-400mm PRO zoom is as sharp as the 300mm PRO prime and even slightly autofocusses faster.

When I need it I think I have found the perfect gimbal head for both my Gitzo Traveller tripod and the big white lens. Motion being dampened like a fluid head really helps before locking down to fire the shutter. It is also compact and lightweight compared with most other gimbals and has a few extra tricks up its sleeve.

The component between the tripod and gimbal is a RRS levelling head. The dragonfly was much higher up the bamboo and so the camera view angle much steeper than in this snap :

View attachment 361627

Can I ask a stupid question? Do you always need a levelling head? I'm guessing that it can save trying to make sure you've got all the legs set at the right height and you can fine tune it so that they are level. I've never used a gimbal.

I read the review and I notice that the tripod legs that they reviewed had the levelling head built into it.

Can I ask a stupid question? Do you always need a levelling head? I'm guessing that it can save trying to make sure you've got all the legs set at the right height and you can fine tune it so that they are level. I've never used a gimbal.

I read the review and I notice that the tripod legs that they reviewed had the levelling head built into it.
Your camera has a levelling device built in Bebop just use that to get the camera level or buy one of those cheap bubble levels that fits into your hot shoe if you tripod hasn't got one.

Last edited:

As above, I use a ball head and move the camera around on that until the camera says it's level (y)

Your camera has a levelling device built in Bebop just use that to get the camera level or buy one of those cheap bubble levels that fits into your hot shoe if you tripod hasn't got one.
As above, I use a ball head and move the camera around on that until the camera says it's level (y)
Thank you both, but I was meaning specifically when you’re using a gimbal as in Robin’s set up. I assume it’s the easiest way to get it flat without a lot of fiddling with the legs. Do people always combine a gimbal with a levelling head?

I didn’t get much sleep last night, so I might be over thinking this. My brain is definitely a bit addled! :ROFLMAO:

Thank you both, but I was meaning specifically when you’re using a gimbal as in Robin’s set up. I assume it’s the easiest way to get it flat without a lot of fiddling with the legs. Do people always combine a gimbal with a levelling head?

I didn’t get much sleep last night, so I might be over thinking this. My brain is definitely a bit addled! :ROFLMAO:
You would just twist the camera on the tripod mount on the lens to get the x-axis level I would imagine. It's been a long day here too :D

Returned from a weeks wildlife holiday in Kent where I only took the OM-1 and 100-400mm (and 60mm macro). I was really hoping the OM system would give me the all in one system I was looking for.
IE Panasonic level of video (nothing major I dont use vlog or any of those high end features) but with up to date photography tech (AF, low light capability etc).

On the photography side there were obviously no complaints. I was easily getting photos that I wanted including Dragonflies in flight but unfortunately the video side really lets it down.
I cant quite get my head around how the OM-1 and Olympus 100-400mm cant match the 5 year old GH5 and Panasonic 100-400mm kit especially in terms of IS. Handholding the Panasonic gear I can get near tripod levels of stability. Handholding the Olympus system and there are weird micro jerks all over the place. I tried with lens IS on and off (so just letting the body do IS) but it couldn't stop these weird jerks. I know the 100-400mm isnt a pro lens but its the exact same price as the Panasonic lens so surely should match that lens especially when the Olympus is way newer.
Ill try and stabilise the video in post but looking at the jerking I'm not sure it will be able to do it.
The other issue is the focus just drifts off whilst videoing and that's whatever setting I put the Movie AF settings too.
I really hope Olympus have these issues on the radar to fix in firmware. I am not sure I have any video usable from my trip whereas with my gh5 system i normally have nearly everything usable.

So I have ended up going from a great video system that was not the best on photos. To a great photography system that's not very good at video. Typical.

Last edited:
Returned from a weeks wildlife holiday in Kent where I only took the OM-1 and 100-400mm (and 60mm macro). I was really hoping the OM system would give me the all in one system I was looking for.
IE Panasonic level of video (nothing major I dont use vlog or any of those high end features) but with up to date photography tech (AF, low light capability etc).

On the photography side there were obviously no complaints. I was easily getting photos that I wanted including Dragonflies in flight but unfortunately the video side really lets it down.
I cant quite get my head around how the OM-1 and Olympus 100-400mm cant match the 5 year old GH5 and Panasonic 100-400mm kit especially in terms of IS. Handholding the Panasonic gear I can get near tripod levels of stability. Handholding the Olympus system and there are weird micro jerks all over the place. I tried with lens IS on and off (so just letting the body do IS) but it couldn't stop these weird jerks. I know the 100-400mm isnt a pro lens but its the exact same price as the Panasonic lens so surely should match that lens especially when the Olympus is way newer.
Ill try and stabilise the video in post but looking at the jerking I'm not sure it will be able to do it.
The other issue is the focus just drifts off whilst videoing and that's whatever setting I put the Movie AF settings too.
I really hope Olympus have these issues on the radar to fix in firmware. I am not sure I have any video usable from my trip whereas with my gh5 system i normally have nearly everything usable.

So I have ended up going from a great video system that was not the best on photos. To a great photography system that's not very good at video. Typical.
When researching what camera to buy the (almost total) lack of video on Olympus cameras was a major attraction for me as I’ve always wanted a more stills focused camera and get fed up paying for a button that I’ll never press!

.... Exactly that - Faffing around adjusting the length of each tripod leg wastes a lot of time and usually needs several goes at it.
.... Whereas the horizontal and vertical level indicators are excellent on the OM-1, you need to lock down at least the horizontal to get good panning results and also the vertical.

I have tried cheap bubble levels in the hot shoe and they don't easily maintain the level accurately. This will work for a landscape shot when there is plenty time to set up but the bubbles are small and can be tricky to see according to the light. And achieving the camera level still needs locking down with some sort of head when using a tripod.

All this assumes you want a solid platform to shoot from to minimise movement and that you want to be able to track or stay on the target.

You would just twist the camera on the tripod mount on the lens to get the x-axis level I would imagine. It's been a long day here too :D
.... Working with a loose lens collar is another way to find level axis but as soon as you unlock to move the direction of where you are aiming the lens for another shot it is then lost.

.... Even the very best ballheads made by Acratech and Really Right Stuff need to be locked down very tight not to creep and a gimbal is far better at fine adjustment and flexibility from shot to shot. The gimbals have much more finesse in their ability to be quickly and accurately adjusted.

Ballheads can have a nasty habit of crushing fingers when a heavy telephoto lens is mounted or indeed any camera and lens. Personally I much prefer a gimbal and am selling my RRS ballhead because I don't use it anymore.

Even the Flexline Pro (now also for sale) doesn't have the full range and ease of a good gimbal.

I use a Really Right Stuff Two-Way head with Quick Release on my monopod and a swivel foot (Gitzo).

.... Exactly that - Faffing around adjusting the length of each tripod leg wastes a lot of time and usually needs several goes at it.

.... Whereas the horizontal and vertical level indicators are excellent on the OM-1, you need to lock down at least the horizontal to get good panning results and also the vertical.

I have tried cheap bubble levels in the hot shoe and they don't easily maintain the level accurately. This will work for a landscape shot when there is plenty time to set up but the bubbles are small and can be tricky to see according to the light. And achieving the camera level still needs locking down with some sort of head when using a tripod.

All this assumes you want a solid platform to shoot from to minimise movement and that you want to be able to track or stay on the target.

.... Working with a loose lens collar is another way to find level axis but as soon as you unlock to move the direction of where you are aiming the lens for another shot it is then lost.

.... Even the very best ballheads made by Acratech and Really Right Stuff need to be locked down very tight not to creep and a gimbal is far better at fine adjustment and flexibility from shot to shot. The gimbals have much more finesse in their ability to be quickly and accurately adjusted.

Ballheads can have a nasty habit of crushing fingers when a heavy telephoto lens is mounted or indeed any camera and lens. Personally I much prefer a gimbal and am selling my RRS ballhead because I don't use it anymore.

Even the Flexline Pro (now also for sale) doesn't have the full range and ease of a good gimbal.

I use a Really Right Stuff Two-Way head with Quick Release on my monopod and a swivel foot (Gitzo).
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer Robin. I can imagine if it’s wonky, it might affect the trajectory as you pan. It’s hard trying to think in 3D when you’ve not tried one :)

I have indeed managed to trap my fingers with a ball head using a tripod for birds once. I’ve been asked to try and get some video footage of local birds and had started looking at something better than a ball head. Not sure if I fancy carrying the extra weight though - perhaps it could double up as a crutch :ROFLMAO:

My GAS has got even worse now, because I’m just thinking how great it would be for kite surfers too.

Last edited:
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer Robin. I can imagine if it’s wonky, it might affect the trajectory as you pan. It’s hard trying to think in 3D when you’ve not tried one :)

I have indeed managed to trap my fingers with a ball head using a tripod for birds once. I’ve been asked to try and get some video footage of local birds and had started looking at something better than a ball head. Not sure if I fancy carrying the extra weight though - perhaps it could double up as a crutch :ROFLMAO:

My GAS has got even worse now, because I’m just thinking how great it would be for kite surfers too.
.... Exactly as you say regarding panning trajectory but also maintaining some semblance of a reasonable horizontal not needing massive correction in post-processing.

Regarding a gimbal for m4/3 gear I have owned this Jobu Jnr-3 Deluxe for many years and can strongly recommend it for being much smaller and lighter weight than other gimbals and it is strong enough to support a Canon 1DX-2 + 2x + EF 500mm F/4L II on many missions. I now use it on my Skimmer groundpod as both are easily disassembled to fit into my backpack, although I don't always carry them with me. When the Jobu is mounted on a Platypod it is perfect for shelves in hides.

ED 150-400mm TC Pro + lens cap by Robin Procter, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jobu-Design-bwg-j3kdlx-Jr-Deluxe/dp/B00AQ26WSG

The Jobu is not cheap but I think it worth it if you want a simple compact no-resistance gimbal. In comparison the Profoto E-6H is also light but movement is dampened like a fluid head and it offers more flexibility. As always it's Horses-for-Courses and I have a use for both. I have tried all sorts of gimbals.

The key to the most comfortable use of a gimbal is to balance it but be aware that zoom lenses with extendable barrels will upset the balance.

Kite surfers? A friend of mine, Katie Evans, 2021 Women's British Kitesurfing Champion, is a friend of mine but I have yet to photograph her kitesurfing - I much prefer to shoot board surfers.

Last edited:

Gimbals are definitely better for sure. I didn't follow all the posts to be honest and was just answering more about the camera having its own levelling system rather than which head is best (y) I've never had any issue with crushed fingers tbh, other than a touch of creep with heavy lenses as they 'settle into place' I've never had one move on me.

Back